E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Blower Motor Disaster - Where do I begin?

02-25-2019, 01:38 AM   #1
mcarlin88
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i Xdrive M-Sport

Cool Blower Motor Disaster - Where do I begin?

After replacing the blower motor I’ve had the following issues and don’t even know where to start trying to diagnose the problem. Before I had the motor changed the only problem was that turning on the foot vents would only blow hot air in the footwell and upper side window defrosters.

After replacing blower motor:
  • Random clicking noise in the dash area
  • Pressing vent controls or temperature slider makes a strange activation noise
  • Top and bottom vents only blow warm or hot unless set to 60 degrees exactly
  • Middle vents have no airflow when top or bottom are also selected
  • When middle vents are the only ones selected they work but get very little airflow even when set to high
  • Blower motor sound seems to fluctuate a bit from louder to quieter on same setting fan setting
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 06:43 AM   #2
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

I believe the blower motor is separate from all the blend door and air routing flaps. It sounds like you are having a problem that is outside of the blower motor.
      02-25-2019, 10:10 AM   #3
blueloco
Private
Rep
Drives: 325xi

All of that stuff is controlled from the IHKA module. You might need to use INPA to re-register or reprogram the stepper motors that control the vents. The stepper motors are on a serial network and they get their position information by a 1 ohm resistance between each motor, but need to be told to look for that, otherwise they have no idea where they are plugged in. If the tech swapped any of the connectors it won't work correctly. They need to be in order.
Its not hard to do and it is required after replacing any of the stepper motors. Don't know why it would need this after a blower motor swap, but possible if they disconnected the battery they could loose their addressing. I had to reprogram mine and never did find the reason why they lost their addressing but thinking back it may have been when I replaced the battery.

Service Functions => Body => Heating and Air Conditioning => re-address motors

The correct order for the stepper motors is:
1. Defroster flap
2. Fresh/Recirculating air flap
3. Ventilation flap
4. Rear blending/stratification flap
5. Right air mixing flap
6. Front blending/stratification flap
7. Left air mixing flap
8. Footwell flap
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2019, 10:29 AM   #4
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Definitely a flap issue. The clicking you’re hearing is the stepper motors still trying to close flaps that are already fully open or shut.

Does the slight fluctuation in sound you’re hearing follow a pattern? If so, it is from the car automatically varying air recirculation which is normal.

There is a function in INPA to recalibrate the stepper motors. Try this and see what happens. It’s under the IHKA module.
      02-25-2019, 11:13 PM   #5
mcarlin88
United_States
Rep

Thank you all for the incredibly helpful replies. I have a K+Dcan cable on the way and am going to start setting up INPA in the meantime. Hopefully this was just caused by a disconnected battery. The shop I took it to said they would need to pull apart the entire dash, which I would like to avoid if possible.

In regards to the fluctuation, it doesn't seem to follow any pattern that I can notice and was fluctuating on manual settings.

As soon as I am able to re-address the stepper motors I will provide an update and let you guys know if that took care of the issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 11:59 PM   #6
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

I forgot to mention you can also view blending flap “positions” in INPA too. They’re expressed as a percentage with 100% being fully open.

I’d start by running the calibration, which will activate all flaps to “re-learn” their end stops. Then depending on how that goes (sounds), move onto to re-addressing and further troubleshooting.

Good luck!
      02-26-2019, 11:56 AM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarlin88 View Post
After replacing the blower motor I’ve had the following issues and don’t even know where to start trying to diagnose the problem. Before I had the motor changed the only problem was that turning on the foot vents would only blow hot air in the footwell and upper side window defrosters...
Quote:
... I have a K+Dcan cable on the way and am going to start setting up INPA in the meantime. Hopefully this was just caused by a disconnected battery. The shop I took it to said they would need to pull apart the entire dash, which I would like to avoid if possible.
Is that the "shop" that replaced the blower motor? Did they "pull apart the entire dash" to change the blower motor or do something else? You do NOT have to "pull apart the entire dash" to access the blower motor (just remove 2 T-20 screws holding trim panel over passenger footwell), and you don't have to do that to access Flap Stepper Motors or their connectors (see BMW TM). I will post some suggestions of how to diagnose the issue in a followup post, but it would be helpful to know answers to questions below.

From your description of the issue, it sounds like there may be a BUS problem related to communication between the IHKA module & the JBE (K_Can).

In trying to diagnose the issue, the FIRST things I would want to know are (1) WHY was the blower motor replaced, (2) WHO replaced it, (3) WHAT procedure or steps were performed in replacing the blower & what else was replaced or disconnected, and (4) has the Blower Harness Recall been performed on your vehicle? (See attached RCRIT).

Also attached is the BMW Training Manual for the E9x Climate Control System, a 27-page pdf for a little "light" reading. You will NOTE that a description of the Module "networking" or BUS connections begins on Page 8 and the JBE Networked Functions are described on Page 9. If you look at the circuit diagrams linked below, you will see "K_CAN" (I presume the "K" is for Body/ "Karosserie" in German?) connections between the IHKA Module & JBE Module.

The procedure for "readdressing" the stepper motors is found at page 26, and apparently is what blueloco referenced in post #3 above. The "Path" that is mentioned appears to be that used in ISTA, as my INPA works differently, with Function Keys, similar to an old DOS program, although you can also click on menu items in the taskbar area. I will suggest steps to use in INPA, and how to get familiar with INPA in a later post.

The thing that makes me wonder about whether it is simply a "flap addressing" issue: Does the Blower Motor actually change speed when set to a particular MANUAL blower speed setting on the CC panel (NOT Auto). It is possible that simply CLOSING all delivery flaps gives the illusion of blower power/ speed change. Blower speed is controlled by a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) signal from the IHKA module that passes into the JBE (Junction Box Electronics) Module via Connector X14272 at the JBE (A4010a) per this TIS Schematic for your 2011 335i X-drive:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ution/CkVAsJaJ

Note that the same Connector (X14272) is also utilized for the K_CAN bus connections between the IHKA Module and the JBE Module, per this TIS Schematic:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...system/hpunewB

Here is the TIS Component "Installation Location" for Connector X14272, assuming you have JBBF87 model JBE (will explain in followup post how to determine that):
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...e-cou/G8ns32Rq

Here is the "Connector View" for X14272:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...e-cou/CTNZiHPd

So the attachments & Links show how much information is available for understanding how the IHKA system is SUPPOSED to work, and diagnosing the issue. Proper use of INPA should allow you to (1) see any Fault Codes saved in IHKA or JBBF (JBE) memory, (2) Use "F5, Status" to monitor flap positions and Blower Power in real time to get clues on what is going on, and (3) use "F6, Activations/ Steuern" to control operation of flaps or blower motor, as well as to "readdress" Flap Stepper Motors if necessary.

My guess is that you might as well take the time to review the references provided and chances are you may know as much about your car's IHKA/ Climate Control System as your "shop" does, in just a few days, and the time spent understanding what references are available, how to use them, and how to use INPA will be well-spent.

George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf RCRIT-17V676-0612 Blower.pdf (3.14 MB, 159 views)
File Type: pdf 9. E90 CLIMATE CONTROL .pdf (520.3 KB, 292 views)
Appreciate 2
      03-14-2019, 08:45 PM   #8
mcarlin88
United_States
Rep

Hey gbalthrop ,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I have been waiting on this cable to come in and trying to get all this software setup.

Yes, that is the shop that replaced the blower motor. I didn't see what they actually did but I assume they just took out the glove box to get to it. Pulling apart the entire dash is what their plan was to address all the other problems that have been happening since they replaced that.

(1) The blower motor was replaced because it was making weird noises sometimes on startup or, for some reason, when I made left turns. Tried the same turns while turning the climate control off and the problem went away. I knew this was a common replacement, so I wasn't phased when they said that was the issue. (2) It was replaced by a shop about 45 minutes north of me and they are the most highly rated shop I could find. (3) I am not sure what steps were performed or what else was replaced or disconnected but I can follow up with them and then let you know. (4) Yes, that recall was done on my vehicle.

I readdressed the stepper motors but this had no impact on my problem, and I tried it a couple of times to be sure.

I believe the blower motor does actually change speed slightly but it is almost certainly not related to the flaps. The blower motor will fluctuate in speed when you change it but it is not the correct speed and the middle vents get almost no airflow.

Thank you so much for your very detailed reply. I also pulled the following fault codes off the car, which the last one looks like might have something to do with the issue. Any ideas on what my next steps should be from here?

S 0162 No communication possible with: Satalite tuner (US)
ABL MOST system analysis

005F45 DSC: Brake-fluid level too low
ABL Brake fluid level switch

006EC4 DSC: steering-angle sensor, adjustment
ABL SZL/DSC: Steering angle sensor adjustment

00E2D4 Message (terminal status, 0x130) faulty, receiver CON, transmitter Car Access System
ABL CAN/FlexRay bus system analysis: No message

Matthew C

Last edited by mcarlin88; 03-14-2019 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 12:42 AM   #9
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
...I have been waiting on this cable to come in and trying to get all this software setup.
(1) The blower motor was replaced because it was making weird noises sometimes on startup or, for some reason, when I made left turns. [Water Leak into air plenum, or condensate drains plugged?] Tried the same turns while turning the climate control off and the problem went away...(4) Yes, that recall was done on my vehicle...I readdressed the stepper motors but this had no impact on my problem, and I tried it a couple of times to be sure. I believe the blower motor does actually change speed slightly but it is almost certainly not related to the flaps. The blower motor will fluctuate in speed when you change it but it is not the correct speed and the middle vents get almost no airflow...
I also pulled the following fault codes off the car, which the last one looks like might have something to do with the issue. Any ideas on what my next steps should be from here?
ABL CAN/FlexRay bus system analysis: No message
Hi Matthew,

I have NO CLUE what that last "code" (?) is, and all the others appear NOT to relate to either the IHKA Module which controls the 8 flap motors, or to the JBE/JBBF through which the PWM signal passes from the IHKA to the Blower Motor, as shown in the TIS circuit diagram provided in post #7 above. If there is an error in transcription of the last fault, or if there is MORE definition or description of the fault that you can provide, please advise.

What software or scan tool do you have available to read codes, code definitions, and any FF Data or details related to any Fault Codes saved in the IHKA or JBBF modules? Do you have INPA or ISTA installed so as to be able to see Flap Motor positions in real time, and to Activate Flap Motors; or Activate Blower Motor at selected speeds?

George

Last edited by gbalthrop; 03-16-2019 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 02:59 PM   #10
mcarlin88
United_States
Rep

Hey gbalthrop ,

I did some research on that code and couldn't find much other than it appears to be related to the Car Access System, which enables the car to start and monitors the anti-theft alarm system. The information I provided is exactly what ISTA gave me but I agree that there is not much information on this.

I bought a BimmerGeeks Pro-K+Dcan Cable and downloaded BMW Standard Tools, which includes INPA, and Rheingold (ISTA). So, to my understanding, I should have the full suite of dealership tools.

At this point I am thinking my only option is going to be going back to that shop or to a BMW dealership. But if there is more I can test in the system outside of the flaps and blower motor that you think might have an impact i will definitely try that out beforehand.

Matthew C

Last edited by mcarlin88; 03-17-2019 at 01:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 06:17 PM   #11
mcarlin88
United_States
Rep

Hey everyone,

I wanted to provide an update on the issue. I took the car back to the shop and they replaced the blower motor again. They told me that the blower motor they replaced the original with had some issue with the center rod being messed up. After they replaced the motor for the second time this solved my air temperature issue but none of the other problems. They are going to order a genuine OEM blower motor from BMW even though the one they used is from the same company that makes them for BMW. The part number for the blower motor they used is 64 11 9 227 670 and is made by Valeo. I am taking the car back to them one last time to look at the issue then I’ll be dealing with the BMW dealership if they aren’t able to find the problem. I’ll keep you all updated after my next visit.

Matthew C
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 07:47 PM   #12
drawz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi 6MT, 08 535xiT 6MT

Sounds like you need a better indy. Two bad blower motors is unlikely. Did they change out the final stage resistor? This impacts blower motor speed (and control of that), but not the ability of the motor to function. Regarding air temperature, this has nothing to do with the blower motor, so there's something else going on there. Maybe they dislodged a connector somewhere when working on the blower?
Appreciate 0