E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Meth Injection Question

07-25-2020, 08:02 PM   #1
skaper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 N55 M-Sport

Meth Injection Question

I apologize in adavance for the lazy question without much research... I will be diving into this more.

Are you able to run a low WMI at all times, safely? Or is it usually just set to engage at or near peak boot? If one is not just going for exteme power, I am curious if a low flow on a daily driver would actually help the engine.

Cheers!

Wagner Evo 1 IC // Active Autowerke CP // JB4 + BEF // CAtuned Coilovers // AR Design D/P // Future Classic Spacers // E46 OE CSL Wheels // (PURE Stage 2 w/ wedge next!)
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 09:52 PM   #2
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaper View Post
I apologize in adavance for the lazy question without much research... I will be diving into this more.

Are you able to run a low WMI at all times, safely? Or is it usually just set to engage at or near peak boot? If one is not just going for exteme power, I am curious if a low flow on a daily driver would actually help the engine.

Cheers!
Would definitely keep IATs down which would help the engine run cooler and not pull timing as much during normal driving.

It can help keep valves clean as well.
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 02:40 PM   #3
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

You would not want to have it spraying at all times. You can however choose a small nozzle and with progressive methanol controllers such as AEM you can set a start and full spray at different boost levels. Looking at your signature it looks like you're running the JB4. I would then assume you plan to use the JB4 for methanol control. You wouldn't have the progression but you can run a smaller nozzle and spray it on all maps.

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish. The JB4 in it driving behavior isn't really great at partial throttle anyways. You really decide if you're going to drive normally or floor it. I would just run a CM10 or something equivalent and enjoy it.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 10:51 PM   #4
skaper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 N55 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbod View Post

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish
Thank you for the detailed response. My thought was trying to keep the engine temps down during the summer since these engines already run so hot. I also liked the idea of being able to increase power but I am more concerned with reliability than peak power.

I know what you mean about the JB4 and plan switch over to Wedge Performance down the road, ideally after a turbo upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 10:59 PM   #5
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Thank you for the detailed response. My thought was trying to keep the engine temps down during the summer since these engines already run so hot. I also liked the idea of being able to increase power but I am more concerned with reliability than peak power.

I know what you mean about the JB4 and plan switch over to Wedge Performance down the road, ideally after a turbo upgrade.
If you're not wide open throttle then the car is just fine at it's operating temperature. It is nice that methanol cleans the intake valves. You need to also consider blow by and methanol in the oil. I would say there are more positives to methanol than negatives. I would just install a normal size kit. With the methanol map on the JB4 you can set a low additive to only run a few more pounds of boost. When you switch to MHD only and get a custom tune then let Steven know you would like a hot tune for your pump gas and then spray methanol on that map. If methanol stops flowing you'll have some timing pulled but it wont be too bad. When it sprays you'll have perfect timing and consistent power between each pull.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 10:09 AM   #6
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:

Cheers!
If u spray too low in rpm with a large enough nozzle (over 7) u will misfire alot. Thats the only downside.

Ideally u need to spray in proportion to engine load. And boost is closes although not ideal.

Since meth or most alcohols dont affect ur AFR like hydrocarbon fuels its alot more forgiving at spray and pray esp at above 3000 rpm ranges.
Appreciate 0