E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Static noise from underseat SWS and driver Focal vrs

07-25-2018, 11:33 PM   #1
SEE90
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 328i sedan monaco blue

Static noise from underseat SWS and driver Focal vrs

Getting static from these two speakers. More prominent in the underseat woofer and don’t always happen in unison. Happens when the car is cold and typically goes away after 15-20 minutes of driving. Have JL 600/6 with technic harness and it’s about four years old I think. Wondering what the best way to troubleshoot is. Possibility it’s the SWS blown, bad technic harness (relay gets hot), bad oem wiring (connections look fine), JL amp going bad or headunit. What’s the easiest/quickest way to troubleshoot this?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 01:31 AM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Dunno if I'd say its just one blown driver off the bat if its happening at the same time. Did you keep it in parallel?

Checked the RCA to the JL? Could be loose at the harness or at the amp and shifting when you drive.

Or the amp actually giving those results from being overheated itself. BMW had a scenario like this before and for me it was the radio itself that went bad (I had a base system so no amp to condemn). If you are still running your original stock deck there was a series of technical bulletins about the failure.

Also, another thing to check would be your wiring: did you use the technic harness to keep stock wires or did you run some new. Thinking you kept stock in place since you reference what seems to be the usage if the stock parallel cabling.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 08:53 AM   #3
SEE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Dunno if I'd say its just one blown driver off the bat if its happening at the same time. Did you keep it in parallel?

Checked the RCA to the JL? Could be loose at the harness or at the amp and shifting when you drive.

Or the amp actually giving those results from being overheated itself. BMW had a scenario like this before and for me it was the radio itself that went bad (I had a base system so no amp to condemn). If you are still running your original stock deck there was a series of technical bulletins about the failure.

Also, another thing to check would be your wiring: did you use the technic harness to keep stock wires or did you run some new. Thinking you kept stock in place since you reference what seems to be the usage if the stock parallel cabling.
Yeah I did the standard Hifi upgrade with Technics Harness. Everything PnP. The weird part is that once it's warm the problem goes away (I think). I'm hoping it's not the head unit.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 03:22 PM   #4
SEE90
Private
Rep

when I put the fob in today the gong was staticky with the driver's side sub and door woofer loud and rest of the speakers barely audible. Turn the volume up and the other speakers balance out with the drivers side returning to equal volume.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 10:22 PM   #5
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

did the static get more intense/staticky (is that a word?) as you upped the volume and then get better as you stopped turning/pushing the pot/button?

Your problem sounds consistent with the drivers side line, so have you checked your connection at the amp to the speakers for that channel? Also checked the Left RCA channel in?

Does your problem consistently happen in the first 3 seconds and go away once the amp gets to full power and you turn up the volume?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 10:31 PM   #6
SEE90
Private
Rep

I checked all connections to the amp rcas and to technic harness... and to the speakers/crossover and they appear secure. Relay on technic harness hot. Was thinking that maybe the SWS was going bad and intermittently causing power surge to those channels(??) at lower volumes. Turning volume up makes it better. Low volume seems to push the sound out of balance favoring the drivers front side.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 04:35 AM   #7
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

What doesn't quite make sense for me with that is the static. I can understand clipping or garbled sound; but static to me is a source, connection, or ground.

I've seen rheostats/volume pots create that problem too as they degrade. But that's less common.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 02:46 PM   #8
SEE90
Private
Rep

I'm leaning towards the amp or headunit as it seems to resolve after warming up. Battery was changed about 7 months ago and voltage is normal. If I get some time I may put the oem back in and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 06:25 AM   #9
Jhml
Rep
Drives: E92 335is

Perhaps there is water builtup around the amp?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 11:20 PM   #10
SEE90
Private
Rep

It appears it is a combination of things going bad at the same time. I removed the SWS 8 on the driver's side and it has intermittent voice coil rub. I previously didn't notice when I checked impedance w volt meter (it was normal @ steady 1.7ohms). Instead of just replacing the one woofer for $100, I changed both to Jehnert xe200s via Don and problem solved.

I swapped the speaker outs to the the doors and the static followed, going to the passenger side. The front left output of my amp is going bad. Replacing amp with Match Up 7BMW via UPS from Don at Unexpected Creations tomorrow. Removed my Focal VRS 100s and they appear to be functioning properly. I put in Morel Virtus 402s anyway. Will probably sell the Focals to recoup some costs and sell the single SWS that's working.

Not playing the new Morels too hard because of the bad channel—once amp warms up static resolves— but this combo is much more universal in handling different genres. Love the sound of the Morels so far. Drums, separation in instruments, and things I haven't heard in songs before are being brought out by the Jehnerts. The Focal VRS and SWS combo was really great for Pop and Hip hop but could never get any 90s alternative or rock to sound all that good (no DSP). I'm getting best of both worlds right now even with the bad amp. I can only imagine what DSP from the Match will do once it's installed.

TLDR— I blew my audio repair budget of $1k.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 04:51 PM   #11
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Surprised the amp went bad. Glad you traced the issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 10:30 PM   #12
SEE90
Private
Rep

Installed the Match Up 7 BMW and it has completely opened up the morel speakers. There is so much more to play with so it's gonna take a while to dial this thing in but all problems have been resolved. No more static or level problems.
Appreciate 0