E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Gord-riddance

05-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #89
nik_nak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Well some interesting reading above.....

I think and hope that the new govenment remember jo public, we are the people who have put them in power.

I think they need to go back to basics.

The NHS need to get people on the front line doing their jobs, I can never get my head around why they need so many managers, admin staff. My dad recently went into hospital to have a new hip, the NHS couldn't do the op in the time frame set down so had to pay a private hospital to do the work WHY WHY WHY??

The Police, - get the police policing not filling in paper work, and having to hit targets, I mean if your good at your job and take pride in to you will track down wrong doers and they will get punished.

Teachers and education - my wife is a teacher and it frightens me when she comes home and tells me the head teacher and his senior management team has lost control of the class rooms, teachers are scared of pupils reporting them for what, trying to help them learn, again get back to basics, all pupils are there to learn, teachers need to be given the power to let them do their jobs not worry about looking at a child the wrong way...

If you can't find work then yes you are given help, but not a handout, why can't you do some public sector work, I don't know help paint the local school, or help in the local park somthing rather than just sitting on your ar*e, get some pride back into your lives.

I work hard, I have a mortgage, I have 2 children whom I try to bring up correctly. I am correct in thinking we would like to think that if someone steals from them the villian would be caught and dealt with correctly, not let off on a technicallity
If I get ill and I have paid into the system that I would be seen by a doctor.
When I send my kids to school they would be taught well and enjoy being there.

is this too much to ask?????????

Rant over
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #90
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 320d e92

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Please feel free to flame me but leave the little dog alone. I'll update his picture now that he is 9 stone.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #91
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Lol, no I was slagging off what Labour haven't done for them! Some of my friends are the 'poor of Hull', this is the point you seem to be missing. I judge a person on who they are, not their social status or wealth, be it gained from birth or otherwise.

So we should ultimately just target those born to money to pay more taxes and sod our national heritage and the family estates they have to finance.

Hull had loads of spare housing, hence it received money to take some of Manchester and Leeds intakes.

The situation I described did happen and yes, I totally agree, it is hard to believe that a UK citizen would be passed over in favour of a foreign immigrant. She was asked if she and her two children could stay with friends or relatives until a property became available. None of us were meant to find out the real reasons but as often the case it's not what you know etc.

This muzzling of HDM was done by Mr Blair years ago when Hull was suddenly awarded hundreds of immigrants in a city where there was one of the lowest numbers of ethnic minoirites anywhere within the UK. The 'problems' that ensued were kept out of the local press. Word got out as it always does around here (don't ask lol).

Full respect to your Mum btw.

Our local Police have had a very hard time with all the above trying to police the above problems and constrained by what they can and cannot do. There have been many problems but again no-one outside of the area knows of it because it has all been kept quiet. I'm serious, there have been some very nasty things happened.
Helen thanks for being so understanding. I do tend to get on my soap box about politics and I'm sure you will understand that the last few days have left my nerves rather shattered. BTW I actually work with the son of a Hereditary Lord and you could not meet a nicer bloke.

Think the chip on my shoulder regarding the financial sector probably stems from losing my pension at Equitable Life.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #92
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
nik_nak - Excellent post and I agree with you 100%. Nicely put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd1963 View Post
Helen thanks for being so understanding. I do tend to get on my soap box about politics and I'm sure you will understand that the last few days have left my nerves rather shattered. BTW I actually work with the son of a Hereditary Lord and you could not meet a nicer bloke.

Think the chip on my shoulder regarding the financial sector probably stems from losing my pension at Equitable Life.
They always say never discuss politics and religion. Try not to take things so personally, but obviously this particular topic has become a focus of anxiety. Not a criticism btw, we all have things that 'trigger' various emotions within us (my Dad caused mine - long story, sorted now). It'll never be a perfect world but our society in general is still better than many imo.

I cannot imagine what it is like to lose your pension and am genuinely sorry you are a victim of what I understand is due to the bankers taking too many risks? I honestly do not know how much the last Government actually did to assist people in your situation?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #93
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
nik_nak - Excellent post and I agree with you 100%. Nicely put.

They always say never discuss politics and religion. Try not to take things so personally, but obviously this particular topic has become a focus of anxiety. Not a criticism btw, we all have things that 'trigger' various emotions within us (my Dad caused mine - long story, sorted now). It'll never be a perfect world but our society in general is still better than many imo.

I cannot imagine what it is like to lose your pension and am genuinely sorry you are a victim of what I understand is due to the bankers taking too many risks? I honestly do not know how much the last Government actually did to assist people in your situation?
nik-nak I totally agree with your post as well.

As I have said previously I think that we all want the same things but just disagree about who will deliver them. I'll try not to discuss politics in future as it's obviously a complete can of worms and we are here to talk about motors. Again apologies to anybody who I may have offended.

Luckily I started my pension very young as recommended by the government of the time so hopefully I will have enough years left to make up for some of my losses. Very annoying though when you tried to do the right thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #94
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

boyd1963, i agree with most of your points. i know you have made your peace with the forum members but u are not alone in your beliefs.

being rich should not be a "right", it should be a privilige. when i say privilige i mean a reward for innovation and hard work.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 11:30 PM   #95
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by - Paul - View Post
Let's see what you Tory boys are saying in 4 years time......... Anyone have a mortgage?
NO! ,I have savings 0.5% along with lots off older folks ,The torys couldnt make a worse job imho .Inflation at 2.5% Great

The labour policy of spend spend is now going to have to be paid for.

Higher interest rates to come
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 02:15 AM   #96
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Interesting to read the published agreement between the Lib Dems and Cons, stated in full here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7124090.ece

There is a lot of good stuff in there:

1. Focus on deficit reduction (seems to have cheered up Mervyn King which is good)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/10109518.stm

2. Nuclear non-proliferation and a review of Trident costs

3. Higher tax free allowance (good), but the libs have not supported transfering allowances between married couples when one works and the other looks after the kids. This is the one Tory policy I really support as it is more equitable and supports helps families.

4.Banking reform, Vince Cables separation of investment and banking is still there, but no commitment unfortunately.

5. Political reform, elected House of Lords = Good (I thought this was a labour policy?). I don't want PR and am glad that this a referendum, not the Cons selling the farm.

6. Schools - Local control over curriculum = good. The decentralisation of control will help (look at the current discord on SATS).

7. EU - No transfer of soveriegn powers without referendum = good. Not joining the Euro = great.

8. Civil Liberties - fantastic. ID cards are dead, DNA database managed properly, controls on CCTV. Measures to reduce increasing numbers of new Criminal Offenses = More freedom!

9. Environment - lots of good stuff here - especially no new runways at the three London airports and a tax on planes not passengers.

Five year parliament is a sneaky idea though and could lead to discord if it gets into statute then the coalition collapses.

Overall - none of this is conventional Tory policy. The Libs have tempered the Tories worst moments and we have a set of policies that largely correct some of labours daftest moments (ID cards, Heathrow Runway etc).

I don't know why labour championed these things as they are equally not 'labour' issues, but overall I think this is a good start.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 02:18 AM   #97
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

They keep saying about raising CGT - anyone know the details on this? Is it just the rate which is changing or the thresholds at which CGT is levied too?
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 02:28 AM   #98
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba0010 View Post
NO! ,I have savings 0.5% along with lots off older folks ,The torys couldnt make a worse job imho .Inflation at 2.5% Great

The labour policy of spend spend is now going to have to be paid for.

Higher interest rates to come
I don't see interest rates going up this year, VAT yes.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 02:31 AM   #99
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

inheritance tax threshold put on hold one of the tories key ideas not good

Last edited by acerboo; 05-13-2010 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 06:57 AM   #100
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
I don't see interest rates going up this year, VAT yes.
Yep, 20% by the end of the year for sure
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #101
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
Yep, 20% by the end of the year for sure
So it was 15% last year to stimulate spending, what's 20% going to do? I know the debt has got to be paid somehow but this could impact on jobs in a big way.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #102
warriorboy
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport coupe

dont think it actually worked reducing it down to 15%, as is largely considered a mistake now, dont hink the VAT rise will have much of an effect, and we are still lower than many european countries
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #103
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Interesting to read the published agreement between the Lib Dems and Cons, stated in full here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7124090.ece

There is a lot of good stuff in there:

1. Focus on deficit reduction (seems to have cheered up Mervyn King which is good)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/10109518.stm

2. Nuclear non-proliferation and a review of Trident costs

3. Higher tax free allowance (good), but the libs have not supported transfering allowances between married couples when one works and the other looks after the kids. This is the one Tory policy I really support as it is more equitable and supports helps families.

4.Banking reform, Vince Cables separation of investment and banking is still there, but no commitment unfortunately.

5. Political reform, elected House of Lords = Good (I thought this was a labour policy?). I don't want PR and am glad that this a referendum, not the Cons selling the farm.

6. Schools - Local control over curriculum = good. The decentralisation of control will help (look at the current discord on SATS).

7. EU - No transfer of soveriegn powers without referendum = good. Not joining the Euro = great.

8. Civil Liberties - fantastic. ID cards are dead, DNA database managed properly, controls on CCTV. Measures to reduce increasing numbers of new Criminal Offenses = More freedom!

9. Environment - lots of good stuff here - especially no new runways at the three London airports and a tax on planes not passengers.

Five year parliament is a sneaky idea though and could lead to discord if it gets into statute then the coalition collapses.

Overall - none of this is conventional Tory policy. The Libs have tempered the Tories worst moments and we have a set of policies that largely correct some of labours daftest moments (ID cards, Heathrow Runway etc).

I don't know why labour championed these things as they are equally not 'labour' issues, but overall I think this is a good start.
Ill agree these are good points, not very tory but tbh im not bothered what you call the policies as long as they are productive in helping UK plc.