E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Detailing 101: Common Question and Answers, What and Where to buy stuff + Technique

06-26-2006, 12:18 PM   #67
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathspank
Great Post... already washed my 330i with your rec'd products .. looks spiffy!

I went all over town looking for the Klasse stuff....is it online only? Once I find the AIO/SG... can you use the AIO by hand or only w/ the PC?

What do you rec' for the interior leather/plastics? I used Mother's protectant on the dash etc and Lexol on the leather... anything better?

Thx for the thread.. its great!
DC
Glad you like the thread!

Some local BMW and Mercedes dealers have been known to carry klasse, though they are the excepetion and not the norm. Your best bet would be to order online.

As for interior stuff, you should be fine with Mothers protectant and lexol.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2006, 07:42 AM   #68
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: M235i

David, do you have experience how many times you can polish the car with PC without ruining the paint? I mean polishing cuts off very thin layer of the clear coat every time so how many times I can do full detailing until whole clear coat is worn off? Quite a many I guess.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2006, 12:34 PM   #69
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
David, do you have experience how many times you can polish the car with PC without ruining the paint? I mean polishing cuts off very thin layer of the clear coat every time so how many times I can do full detailing until whole clear coat is worn off? Quite a many I guess.
If you polish your car once or twice a year with the PC then you should be ok.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2006, 05:20 PM   #70
xenocide
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 330i

Thanks for this great thread David! I think I've spent more time reading your first post than any other thread here.

I'm comfortable keeping my clean and Zainoed thanks to your instructions but have one question. Have you or anyone else found a good technique or tool that makes it easy to clean the inside of the rim (deep between the spokes and round the rotor) easily? On my 162's I can get a rag in there and if I lay my hand flat I can get it pretty clean, but it takes a LONG time and usually cuts my hand up; not to mention I have to end up moving the car half way through to get the areas behind the caliper that I can't reach the first time around. Has anyone got an easier way to do this without jacking the car up and taking the rims off?
      08-12-2006, 02:18 PM   #71
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenocide
Thanks for this great thread David! I think I've spent more time reading your first post than any other thread here.

I'm comfortable keeping my clean and Zainoed thanks to your instructions but have one question. Have you or anyone else found a good technique or tool that makes it easy to clean the inside of the rim (deep between the spokes and round the rotor) easily? On my 162's I can get a rag in there and if I lay my hand flat I can get it pretty clean, but it takes a LONG time and usually cuts my hand up; not to mention I have to end up moving the car half way through to get the areas behind the caliper that I can't reach the first time around. Has anyone got an easier way to do this without jacking the car up and taking the rims off?
Cleaning behind the wheels is usually very hard unless you remove the rim from the car. Some tools that may possibly help (though I have not used them) are something like this: (as a side note, tools similar to this can be purchased locally at autozone, target, etc, so check there first b4 buying online)

http://www.properautocare.com/oxospwhbr.html

http://www.properautocare.com/ezdetailbrush.html

http://www.properautocare.com/br-625.html
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 06:22 AM   #72
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

David, would you please help me again. I already had one polisher but I have to say it was junk. Now I decided to buy PC 7424 from U.S. and because I'm paying all the shipping and customs it may be good idea to get some accessories as well. I found this kit: http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html. Can you tell something about the quality of backing plate and pads? I guess this kit should contain all the tools I need for polishing. Would you recommend something else in addition or instead of these?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2006, 01:45 PM   #73
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
David, would you please help me again. I already had one polisher but I have to say it was junk. Now I decided to buy PC 7424 from U.S. and because I'm paying all the shipping and customs it may be good idea to get some accessories as well. I found this kit: http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html. Can you tell something about the quality of backing plate and pads? I guess this kit should contain all the tools I need for polishing. Would you recommend something else in addition or instead of these?
The kit is good. The pads and backing plate should be fine. I would also add one yellow cutting pad since it does not come in the kit.

http://www.autogeek.net/vcpad.html
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2006, 02:44 AM   #74
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN
The kit is good. The pads and backing plate should be fine. I would also add one yellow cutting pad since it does not come in the kit.

Thanks a lot again David. You have been a great help.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2006, 12:06 PM   #75
younghov85
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325

I have a jet black car and there are hella swirl marks. Is there any way to get that deep glossy black look back??
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2006, 08:23 AM   #76
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Is there some less abrasive polish or cleaner than ZPC which could be used with PC before wax or sealant? If the paint is swirl free wouldn't it be better to use some non abrasive stuff? Or is it just waste of time to use any polish and PC in this case?

Meguiars for excample has lots of different polishes and cleaners but which ones would be suitable to use with my brand new PC?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2006, 08:50 PM   #77
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by younghov85
I have a jet black car and there are hella swirl marks. Is there any way to get that deep glossy black look back??
There is. Detail the car and it will look better than showroom new.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2006, 08:52 PM   #78
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Is there some less abrasive polish or cleaner than ZPC which could be used with PC before wax or sealant? If the paint is swirl free wouldn't it be better to use some non abrasive stuff? Or is it just waste of time to use any polish and PC in this case?

Meguiars for excample has lots of different polishes and cleaners but which ones would be suitable to use with my brand new PC?
If you want something milder than ZPC, then get Klasse AIO. It is mostly a chemical cleaner with very mild abrasives (very mild). Just keep in mind, if using AIO before Zaino, then wipe your car down with a 50/50 mix of Isopropyl alcohol and water. It will remove the protection left behind by the AIO and allow the Zaino to bond properly.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2006, 07:50 AM   #79
hercar
Rep
Drives: 2016 428xi Msport MG w/CR

David, Could you give me your recommended wheel cleaning/protection procedure?? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2006, 04:55 PM   #80
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercar
David, Could you give me your recommended wheel cleaning/protection procedure?? Thanks
For really dirty wheels I use Eagle One All Wheel and tire cleaner. I usually wet the wheel and rubber first with water, then spray the E1 all over the rim and sidewall of the rubber. I let it sit for a few seconds, then I start scrubbing the rim with a sponge and car wash soap (while the E1 is still on there). I then move onto the tire sidwall using a stiff bristle brush in conjunction with suds from the car wash soap. Once I finish scrubbing I hose off the wheel water.

For wheels that are mildly dirty, I use the above prodedure minus the Eagle One.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2006, 08:53 PM   #81
shabbs
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330 xi

Hi David,

Like all the other members, I appreciate all this great information you have put out for us. Thank you.

I am a complete newbie to all of this...so as I was reading your post, a couple of questions came up. First, I think you mentioned that you do this entire detail process twice a year....so what process do you follow in between details, just a wash and some sealant/wax?

Second, I have a question regarding Zaino and its application. From what I understood, the ZPC is to be applied with the PC orbital. When using the Z2 Pro and ZFX mixture, should that also be applied using the PC orbital? I guess where I got confused is that you said to use a foam applicator for the Z2 pro/ZFX and I'm not sure whether that's part of the orbital or something totally different. (again, newbie here)

Third, and I apologize if you mentioned this elsewhere...but what kinds of pads should we buy for the PC orbital? I am also curious as to whether there is any way a newbie could mess up using the orbital?...don't want to harm the BMW in any way.

Having said that, I went through an automatic car wash the other day and I noticed faint scratches on my car . After that, I realized I should take the care of this beautiful vehicle in my own hands. Looking for guidance, I ended up here...and I can't wait to try out the methods you put forth.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2006, 06:08 AM   #82
hercar
Rep
Drives: 2016 428xi Msport MG w/CR

David...what are your thoughts on 3m Finesse-it, since I have a good quantity on my shelf, How does it compare to ZainoZPC or Klausse AIO, I am going the Collinite Carnuba route at this time on a Mystic Blue car? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2006, 12:37 PM   #83
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercar
David...what are your thoughts on 3m Finesse-it, since I have a good quantity on my shelf, How does it compare to ZainoZPC or Klausse AIO, I am going the Collinite Carnuba route at this time on a Mystic Blue car? Thanks
I used to use finesse it a lot. It's a good polish, no filler, good cut, however it is not as easy to work with as Menzerna IP (which is why I switched). If you have some, then go ahead and use it. As for collinite, I have heard many good things. It is one of the few really tough carnuba waxes. You will be pleased with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2006, 12:45 PM   #84
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbs
Hi David,

Like all the other members, I appreciate all this great information you have put out for us. Thank you.

I am a complete newbie to all of this...so as I was reading your post, a couple of questions came up. First, I think you mentioned that you do this entire detail process twice a year....so what process do you follow in between details, just a wash and some sealant/wax?

Second, I have a question regarding Zaino and its application. From what I understood, the ZPC is to be applied with the PC orbital. When using the Z2 Pro and ZFX mixture, should that also be applied using the PC orbital? I guess where I got confused is that you said to use a foam applicator for the Z2 pro/ZFX and I'm not sure whether that's part of the orbital or something totally different. (again, newbie here)

Third, and I apologize if you mentioned this elsewhere...but what kinds of pads should we buy for the PC orbital? I am also curious as to whether there is any way a newbie could mess up using the orbital?...don't want to harm the BMW in any way.

Having said that, I went through an automatic car wash the other day and I noticed faint scratches on my car . After that, I realized I should take the care of this beautiful vehicle in my own hands. Looking for guidance, I ended up here...and I can't wait to try out the methods you put forth.

Thanks again
Hey. Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the thread.

In between I just wash every 2-3 weeks and every third wash I will apply a coat of Z8 after I finish drying the car off.

You are correct about ZPC, apply with the PC and foam polishing pad. As for Z2/ZFX, I apply it by hand with a smaller hand foam applicator pad. However, a minority of Zaino users do apply Z2/ZFX via a PC and foam finishing pad. I don't do this because it wastes too much product.

This pad kit is good.
http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html

I would also get a yellow pad on the side to go along with it.

You won't mess up with the orbital. It's a good tool for people new to detailing. Have no worries.

Car washes with brushes suck. Avoid them. The real key to keeping your car looking nice is to be very careful when you hand wash it. Washing is the 31 cause of swirl marks. Follow my washing routine and your full details will be so much easier.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2006, 01:50 PM   #85
musashi707
Registered
Rep
Drives: 03 325I

ED pickup and detail

david,
thank you for all your effort, what a great resource. :rocks: i'm picking up my car in munich next month. i purchased klasse aio and sg in a kit which i'm packing and taking to europe with me. after hearing about paint damage on ed cars i'm determined to protect my car as best i can. i'm literally driving from the factory to my hotel garage to apply the stuff. my question is do i have to wash my factory fresh car first or can i apply a coat of aio immediately ?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2006, 08:27 PM   #86
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashi707
david,
thank you for all your effort, what a great resource. :rocks: i'm picking up my car in munich next month. i purchased klasse aio and sg in a kit which i'm packing and taking to europe with me. after hearing about paint damage on ed cars i'm determined to protect my car as best i can. i'm literally driving from the factory to my hotel garage to apply the stuff. my question is do i have to wash my factory fresh car first or can i apply a coat of aio immediately ?
If you drive the car anywhere, you should wash it b4 applying a coat of klasse. Maybe ask the dealer if you can apply a coat on their premises before driving away? it should only take you half an hour to 45 mins to do both by hand.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2006, 09:47 PM   #87
ICALL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Carbon Black M Sport

Thank you for taking the time to put a detailed "How To" post together for us.

My last car was washed once in over 18 months(other than the frequent Florida rainstorms) and that was the day before the lease inspector came to check my car for damage.

I just brought my brand new 335i home and put over 100 miles on it within 24 hours. By the 2nd day the rims were covered in brake dust and the car was filthy. Couldn't resist washing it. I went with a MF sponge that looks like one of those shaggy dogs and meguire's gold car wash(available at Target). It suds nice, but I'll be following your advice going forward. Should I just throw away this stuff or finish it?(Money really not an issue). Is that sponge good or should I just purchase one from one of the sites you mentioned?

Down here in south Florida, we have a severe bug problem. I see you are pretty meticulous when it comes to washing your car(two buckets and spraying off the sponge after each swipe). What would you recommend as the best way to remove these suicide bombers? How bad are those mesh sponges at Target for my brand new paint job?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer these questions.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2006, 12:24 PM   #88
mrringodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Tree Sap

I have alot of spots on my car that do not come off with normal washing I beleive its from the trees it gets all over my windows and paint how do I remove this.
Appreciate 0