E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum > Do Not Buy Matte Black Grill (E90) from JLeviSw

07-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #23
yamazaho
Wang D.D.S.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 14' WRX, 15' W205

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigga View Post
my question is, why would any of you pay over $50 for a customization that would cost you less than $10 to do yourself AND fits perfectly AND is reversible?

I converted my chrome grill to matte black by following a DIY I found on the forum and I used the Plasti-Dip method which allows you to go back to original easily if ever you want to. See my thread about it below. It's been about 4 months now and still looks perfect.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371617
Quote:
Originally Posted by zshortyz View Post
+1 i did that as well and came out amazing, but i just sanded and spray painted mine no plasti-dip
Guys I did that as well and I regretted. Chipping is a VERY COMMON problem with DIY painting, no matter how many layers of paint and how many layers of clear coat you put on. I love DIY, but there are things that I would not do. Sure I know you guys will argue that "oh no mine stands up fine over 4 month now." Well come back and tell me if your paint is good as new after 2-3 years, then maybe I will believe it.

And when you guys think paying over $50 is too much, go tell those members who paid for "authentic BMW performance" grilles for $140 (+ shipping). Fact is it's our cars and we do what we like, and yes I think it's worth the money for my $70 shipped matte black grilles.
      07-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #24
jigga
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamazaho View Post
Guys I did that as well and I regretted. Chipping is a VERY COMMON problem with DIY painting, no matter how many layers of paint and how many layers of clear coat you put on. I love DIY, but there are things that I would not do. Sure I know you guys will argue that "oh no mine stands up fine over 4 month now." Well come back and tell me if your paint is good as new after 2-3 years, then maybe I will believe it.

And when you guys think paying over $50 is too much, go tell those members who paid for "authentic BMW performance" grilles for $140 (+ shipping). Fact is it's our cars and we do what we like, and yes I think it's worth the money for my $70 shipped matte black grilles.
let's talk in 2 years.

in the mean time, glad you're enjoying your upgrade. that's all that counts!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #25
Wake27
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i ZPP ZSP

OP any possibility your hood was modified? That's all I can really think of...
2006 JB 330i/ZPP/ZSP/I-Drive/Heated Seats/L7/Blacklines/19" Gunmetal V710's on Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas/BMS PBX/Red MFD Scoops/Matte black grilles/Matte black Amber Gone 2.0s/BSW center midrange speaker/35% tint/Black and white roundels
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #26
e90chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 E90

No, it's stock.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #27
e90chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 E90

Here's a picture of it installed:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 11:36 PM   #28
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

I have had this problem with Jlevi TWICE. They really need to do something about it, and they are aware of the problem. There is a way to fix it without using washers. The problem is that the glue holding the gold threads/nuts is not strong enough. So after a couple turns the gold inserts just spin as you are screwing the bolts in. Fix is to just superglue each of the gold inserts into the plastic. Worked great for me..Or better yet, just dont buy from jlevi
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 12:43 AM   #29
STC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Sorry to bump an old thread, but this happened to me today. I bought the matte black grills for my e90 and the one of the screws on the eyelid just spins and spins. I can not take out the screw.

Mine is just like the OP's, but I can not remove the screw so I'm screwed (pun intended). I email JLeviSW, so hopefully they can help me out.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #30
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread, but this happened to me today. I bought the matte black grills for my e90 and the one of the screws on the eyelid just spins and spins. I can not take out the screw.

Mine is just like the OP's, but I can not remove the screw so I'm screwed (pun intended). I email JLeviSW, so hopefully they can help me out.
Hi Steve,

I received your email and replied
Appreciate 0