E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > dad wants a new car for work.

02-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #45
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

how big does it have to be- go with one of the american cars- I know shocking, but ford and GM make good trucks and suvs as far as engines go, I would say get the tahoe/escallade/yukon hybrid- gets you mileage and versatility- and they make the trucks in hybrid too silverado and sierra- AND you can get huge discounts now, even on the hybrids- I saw $8k off in the local papers a couple weeks ago for the hybrids, and gobs more for the regular models

Now if he really puts on a lot of miles and wants gas mileage- check out the ford escape hybrid- you'd lose a little space but gain huge mileage-

all of the above run on REGULAR!!

now for what I would get myself

the new X5 xdrive35d, ie the 3 liter twin turbo diesel, tows 7200lbs, 0-60 in 6.9 secs or something, and oh yea, 26 mpg HWY!!!!!

the benz GL diesel is nice too and VW and Audi introduce the Tuareg and Q7 3.0 tdi, in the next couple months,

but bottom line

If he's willing to go diesel and I highly recommend you have him do a test drive, then X5 turbodiesel, xdrive35d or whatever it is

If he wants to stick with gas, I'd say the GM hybrids
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 08:16 PM   #46
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiNiStErE92 View Post
2009 ram 1500 You can walk into a dealer and get a killer deal on 1 right now. Plus with the right options it sby far the best looking truck out right now. I was always a ford trucks guy but i saw a brand new 09 ram the other day and it looked plain bad ass.
Check this truck out . Loaded for $31k and i bet you could easily get it for under that.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...3A1|240%3A1318
they are selling for HALF the sticker price in the LA area, 30k cars marked down to 15k hahahaha, still,

GET THE DIESEL!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #47
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxForgedxx View Post
You are proving yourself to be even more truck ignorant. Especially considering some people need there truck for work or to handle even house hold things, projects, gardening and so forth... they don't NEED a 1 ton, they don't need a 2 ton truck, they don't even need a HALF ton some times. F-150, 250, 350. There are engine options only available in the bigger models, pay-load, towing capacity and so forth. It doesn't make the F-150 any less of a work/ project truck or the 350 MORE of one, people just use them to entertain different kinds of utility needs.

I think the trade-off of rattles and plastic are severely out weighed by durability and what they get done. PS. It's not supposed to ride fluffy, it's a TRUCK. Not a luxury vehicle with a BED.
Next time you call someone ignorant, check your grammar.

You've just proven my point vis a vis the American public. If people don't need an F-150 to get what they're doing done, then why is it the best selling vehicle (cars and trucks) in the US? If you're saying that the American public is misguided in buying an F-150 when they don't need one, I direct you to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
Man, oh man, I swear, I do not know what it says about the American consumer that this is the best selling vehicle year after year, but it's nothing good.
Now I scanned this whole thread again, and I still can't tell who's water you're carrying here. You first voted for OP's dad to buy himself a Toyota:

Quote:
I vote: Brand new Toyota Sequioa

And now you're carrying Ford's water because I said the F-150 is not suited as a daily driver? Dude, make up your mind.
      02-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #48
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slow/Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
Next time you call someone ignorant, check your grammar.

You've just proven my point vis a vis the American public. If people don't need an F-150 to get what they're doing done, then why is it the best selling vehicle (cars and trucks) in the US? If you're saying that the American public is misguided in buying an F-150 when they don't need one, I direct you to this:

Now I scanned this whole thread again, and I still can't tell who's water you're carrying here. You first voted for OP's dad to buy himself a Toyota:

And now you're carrying Ford's water because I said the F-150 is not suited as a daily driver? Dude, make up your mind.
I suggested that he buy that Toyota because I personally like them, and it is NOT A TRUCK. I put my sights on the F-150 because he said he was now leaning towards an F-150 which indicates that he is looking for a TRUCK. I said in regards to TRUCKS that rattles and so forth do not matter because it is purpose built. It is NOT an SUV, I wouldn't buy an American SUV but I would buy an American TRUCK because they make good TRUCKS, this is not a brand war debate this is a TRUCK topic now... hence why I mentioned TRUCKS not SUV's. I'd much rather have a 4runner over an Explorer for example. Yes some people buy it "just because" but I never implied people like that were smart either
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #49
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

Quote:
And I bet you've never owned a truck.
case in point... what are the Escalade EXT/the Lincoln truck or the Hummer H2/ H3 trucks? Whcih average Joe would use that as their daily work horse? If your premise does hold true, where do theese trucks fit in? I cannot imagine Joe the Plumber driving to fix a leaky faucet in an escalade or a lincoln or a humvee, even though they are capable machines.

I do appreciate the silverados and the F-150s of the world, but the quality fit and finish on the escalade / lincoln and humvee still sux a$$
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #50
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slow/Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower View Post
case in point... what are the Escalade EXT/the Lincoln truck or the Hummer H2/ H3 trucks? Whcih average Joe would use that as their daily work horse? If your premise does hold true, where do theese trucks fit in? I cannot imagine Joe the Plumber driving to fix a leaky faucet in an escalade or a lincoln or a humvee, even though they are capable machines.

I do appreciate the silverados and the F-150s of the world, but the quality fit and finish on the escalade / lincoln and humvee still sux a$$
They are not classified as pick-up trucks they are classified as "SUT's" as in sport utility trucks. Emphasis on the SPORT... and much less on the TRUCK. This is why they usually come with larger wheels and lower profile tires (Escalade, Lincoln truck) anyways and the H3's and H2's have options for 20+" size wheels with low pros too.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #51
PNF
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 15' YMB F80 M3

If your dad is already driving a LX470. (which is very big), the only other option, under $50K, would be something american (Lincoln Navigator? Nissan Armada (do they still make that?) Infiniti FX50 (great car)).

Personally, I'd just ask your dad to get another LX470, for a daily driver, LX470 is my personal fav.. trade it in for a newer 2007/2008 low mileage model..

or, save for 10 grand more for something brand new.

2008 E92 335i (sold)
Appreciate 0