E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Aftermarket Exhaust Tips Conundrum ....

03-28-2023, 06:10 PM   #1
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Aftermarket Exhaust Tips Conundrum ....

The 335is has a 2 5/16 in diameter discharge side pipe coming out of the OEM muffler.

There are not many aftermarket exhaust tips that have a band clamp to tighten down the aftermarket exhaust tip in the 2 1/4 - 2 5/16 in size needed for my app.

I don't want to have them welded on.

Any thoughts?

Name:  Red Rocket OEM Mufflers Pic 3 After.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  921.3 KB

Last edited by racerbruce; 03-28-2023 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: added pic
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 11:22 PM   #2
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep
Drives: e90 335i LCI M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Wanna buy my "M Performance" Tips?

They look like shit but can be tightened town with clamps. I think they're about 6" length, 4" outlet size. The ones I received are not as nice as the ones pictured but the CNC work is at least decent. Single walled though

EDIT
These Amazon tips could be potentially what you're looking for?
9" length though might be a little too long for the driver's side with the valve

EDIT 2
Some measurements I took of the OEM piping at the exhaust tip outlet (after the muffler. I am in the same boat looking for aftermarket tips that will fit my new setup and am having issues finding 58/60mm inlet tips

The old-school gauge face probably not helping
You can convert the measurements yourself though. Pipes were extremely cold so probably a hair undersized. Almost 60mm exact for Driver's side with the valve; 59.5mm Passenger side.

I have attached measurements of a driver's side 335i OEM tip. Generally most lengths will fit the Passenger side but Driver's side has the valve. You're welcome to cut it out but I prefer having it there; I am actually going to mod/weld my M Performance exhaust to add the valve back since it didn't come with one.

You have about 5.53" to work with but more like 5" flat since you have to account for the bend after the valve; total length of the tip measured at longest slant is 140mm. There is not a lot of space to fit new tips unless you 1) cut out the valve and 2) custom pipe after the muffler. You will have even less space/options to work with if you look for clamped tips vs weld-ons. I am currently scouring the web to find any tips that will work even as weld ons. Unfortunately DiMisa is no longer in business and I'm not sure if Cbya tips will work with the valve but I haven't looked into them yet. The e9x has a very weird exhaust size, it's hard finding something that isn't custom made specifically for the 335i exhaust and unfortunately most of the custom 335i aftermarket tip vendors are no longer around

Also these are e90 measurements, you have about an extra .5-.75" room to work with on e92/e93s

Last edited by GnomeChild; 03-29-2023 at 01:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 07:31 AM   #3
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeChild View Post
Wanna buy my "M Performance" Tips?

They look like shit but can be tightened town with clamps. I think they're about 6" length, 4" outlet size. The ones I received are not as nice as the ones pictured but the CNC work is at least decent. Single walled though

EDIT
These Amazon tips could be potentially what you're looking for?
9" length though might be a little too long for the driver's side with the valve

EDIT 2
Some measurements I took of the OEM piping at the exhaust tip outlet (after the muffler. I am in the same boat looking for aftermarket tips that will fit my new setup and am having issues finding 58/60mm inlet tips

The old-school gauge face probably not helping
You can convert the measurements yourself though. Pipes were extremely cold so probably a hair undersized. Almost 60mm exact for Driver's side with the valve; 59.5mm Passenger side.

I have attached measurements of a driver's side 335i OEM tip. Generally most lengths will fit the Passenger side but Driver's side has the valve. You're welcome to cut it out but I prefer having it there; I am actually going to mod/weld my M Performance exhaust to add the valve back since it didn't come with one.

You have about 5.53" to work with but more like 5" flat since you have to account for the bend after the valve; total length of the tip measured at longest slant is 140mm. There is not a lot of space to fit new tips unless you 1) cut out the valve and 2) custom pipe after the muffler. You will have even less space/options to work with if you look for clamped tips vs weld-ons. I am currently scouring the web to find any tips that will work even as weld ons. Unfortunately DiMisa is no longer in business and I'm not sure if Cbya tips will work with the valve but I haven't looked into them yet. The e9x has a very weird exhaust size, it's hard finding something that isn't custom made specifically for the 335i exhaust and unfortunately most of the custom 335i aftermarket tip vendors are no longer around

Also these are e90 measurements, you have about an extra .5-.75" room to work with on e92/e93s
Thank you Gnome!
After a massive online search, I thought I was stranded and alone in the desert searching for aftermarket exhaust tips....I am not alone it appears.

I even ventured into some of the unknown areas such as Summit Racing, etc and cannot find a fitment.

Thanks so much for your offer to purchase your recently purchased exhaust tips ; I am looking for dual tips per side and in either CF or in black. The good news is your tips have the word "Performance" spelled correctly!

I am online dialoging with Turner Motorsports right now and have provided all the usual suspect info to them....awaiting their next reply.

I looked at all of the 36 exhaust tips that Turner has on their site and none of them meet my requirements.

You mentioned that your 2 1/2 in inlet side tips could work on my 2 5/16 in outlet OEM muffler pipe....will the band clamp actually tighten down enough to erase this < 1/4 in ID/OD delta??

Indeed, your comment that some of the exhaust tips online would be too long and protrude from the back of my 335is like a Pinocchio nose....

Well, my thought was "let's upgrade the OEM exhaust tips" after spending two days under the car sanding/painting the OEM mufflers and making them disappear (painted them black) has become a desert.

And your observation that the exhaust flap valve (I purchased a small ball bearing from Ace Hardware and inserted it into the vacuum hose to cause the exhaust flap to remain open ad infinitum) creates even less "real estate" to land either a band clamp or weld....and as you noted this discharge pipe from the OEM muffler has a slight bend in it which (again) inhibits how far you can insert said aftermarket exhaust tip onto the pipe.

What's a mother to do....

UPDATE:
After dialoging with Turner Motorsport looking for direction, I just received this vanilla reply...."These tips are for custom fabricated applications. They are not car-specific and not meant to bolt right on to any factory system."

The desert has just become a bit lonelier than I had anticipated.

Last edited by racerbruce; 03-29-2023 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 10:54 AM   #4
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
You mentioned that your 2 1/2 in inlet side tips could work on my 2 5/16 in outlet OEM muffler pipe....will the band clamp actually tighten down enough to erase this < 1/4 in ID/OD delta??
This is the only part of the fitment I am unsure about. Even for the weld-on style I am not sure if the fitment will be correct. Unfortunately, all tips I've found online are either 58mm (2.25") or 64mm (2.5"); there sre very little, if any, options for tips made with 60mm inlet ID that will slot perfectly over the exhaust piping

Our only option at this point is to either 1) find a custom vendor or 2) buy 58mm weld-on tips and 3) buy 64mm clamp-on tips and hope the band can make up the difference

A lot of people settle for running stock 3" tips for this reason which I don't find acceptable considering 1) the exhaust cutout is made for at least 4" tips and 2) an OEM M Performance Diffuser has even larger cutouts and could probably even accommodate 5" tips. Anything less than 3.5" just looks comically small IMO and is only exacerbated by the M Performance diffuser. I was hoping maybe F30 tips would be at least 3.5" (they have the same 60mm inlet size) but unfortunately the newer tips are still 3"
      03-29-2023, 11:02 AM   #5
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
This is the only part of the fitment I am unsure about. Even for the weld-on style I am not sure if the fitment will be correct. Unfortunately, all tips I've found online are either 58mm (2.25") or 64mm (2.5"); there sre very little, if any, options for tips made with 60mm inlet ID that will slot perfectly over the exhaust piping

Our only option at this point is to either 1) find a custom vendor or 2) buy 58mm weld-on tips and 3) buy 64mm clamp-on tips and hope the band can make up the difference

A lot of people settle for running stock 3" tips for this reason which I don't find acceptable considering 1) the exhaust cutout is made for at least 4" tips and 2) an OEM M Performance Diffuser has even larger cutouts and could probably even accommodate 5" tips. Anything less than 3.5" just looks comically small IMO and is only exacerbated by the M Performance diffuser. I was hoping maybe F30 tips would be at least 3.5" (they have the same 60mm inlet size) but unfortunately the newer tips are still 3"
Thank you Gnome -
This sounds like an entrepreneur-market-niche'-opportunity....or not!

Has anyone placed 2 1/2 in ID exhaust tips on our 2 5/16 in OD OEM muffler pipes??
      03-29-2023, 11:10 AM   #6
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I have ordered these Diesel tips off Amazon last night and canceled my order when I realized they were 2.5" inlet. I figured I don't really have anything to lose with free returns and reupped my order. Hope they might work as weld-ons: the bead might be able to make up the 3-4mm difference. I don't know if they can be modified (with a small cut/slot) and wrapped with a clamp and if that will secure it enough, but you're more than welcome to try. I think a different vendor had the same tips available but in black as you specified
      03-29-2023, 11:12 AM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Yep I faced the same issue looking at exhaust tips. I wanted a simple clamp on install to, got the ebay carbon fiber M looking tips which I really love but no matter what, they just don't clamp on. Actually, one of my pipe is slightly larger in diameter so I can't even slip the tips all the way on it and clamp. While the other is just to loose. I even tried another set.

I'm about to just go to a shop and get them welded. I think everyone has them welded no other way to go by it.
Appreciate 1
racerbruce3854.50
      03-29-2023, 01:06 PM   #8
JoeyH335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

I got some 4" exhaust tips off of ebay that have been great. I think at the time they were around $40 for both.

I welded the tips to the stock muffler.
Attached Images

I am just here to help!
Appreciate 2
      03-29-2023, 01:34 PM   #9
JoeyH335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

This all that I can find now on ebay. 3.5" tips for $89.96

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25270357910...3ABFBMuLag6eVh

I am just here to help!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 02:34 PM   #10
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyH335i View Post
This all that I can find now on ebay. 3.5" tips for $89.96

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25270357910...3ABFBMuLag6eVh
The same seller has 4" Tips, 4.5" tips all the way up to 5" tips

He also has 4" stubbies as well but for $350 a tip; I managed to find a different seller for them and they probably give the most clearance for use on 335i setups. Unfortunately they are all the 2.25"/58mm designs and would need to be welded on; not something I think racerbruce was hoping for.

I ultimately went with the Amazon tips because of cost, finish, shipping times, and design. The Stubbies listed above will probably work the best, but they look a little awkward, I think the Amazon tips are the best in overall aspects
      03-29-2023, 03:54 PM   #11
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks to everyone for posting and sharing their thoughts and solutions - this will benefit the entire e90post forum.

A 2 1/4 in ID exhaust tip will not slip fit onto our 2 5/16 in OD OEM muffler pipe, correct?

Please forgive the elemental content of this question, but my 335is OEM black exhaust tips can be removed by applying WD40 to loosen the connection and using a wood block and hammer, drive the OEM tip off of the OEM muffler pipe, correct?

What if I purchased a 2 1/2 in ID exhaust tip and then using a material rated for temperature, I "filled" the small gap between the ID and OD to tighten it up a bit and then tightened the muffler clamp to hold the new exhaust tip on?
      03-29-2023, 06:27 PM   #12
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
Thanks to everyone for posting and sharing their thoughts and solutions - this will benefit the entire e90post forum.

A 2 1/4 in ID exhaust tip will not slip fit onto our 2 5/16 in OD OEM muffler pipe, correct?
I don't believe so, no. The OD of the stock 335i exhaust is 60mm and the ID of the 2.25" tip inlet is 58mm. I have a feeling that, given 2-3mm of variance for the tip metal/material; the OD would also be about 60mm; I would assume the ID of the 335i exhaust is somewhere around 58mm as well, effectively making any tips advertised as 2.25" weld-on only

I understand the need to be explicit and the feeling of being deadset on specific goals so I will not try to dissuade you; rather I'll try to answer the rest of your concerns below

Quote:
Please forgive the elemental content of this question, but my 335is OEM black exhaust tips can be removed by applying WD40 to loosen the connection and using a wood block and hammer, drive the OEM tip off of the OEM muffler pipe, correct?

What if I purchased a 2 1/2 in ID exhaust tip and then using a material rated for temperature, I "filled" the small gap between the ID and OD to tighten it up a bit and then tightened the muffler clamp to hold the new exhaust tip on?
I have not tried removing tips in the fashion you described but from what I can tell from my extra set of stock 335i tips is that they are pressed on there pretty tightly. If you've already removed the stock tips in such fashion then I stand corrected as I assumed the only way to remove the tips was to grind the end of the tips off and shimmy the inner and outer wall of the dual wall tip off. That would be good news for my setup considering I can preserve as much of the original exhaust piping as possible for the exhaust shop to work with in fitting new tips

As far as your second question, with enough money, patience, and skill anything is possible. You would really only need the correct material to act as a "step-up" adapter and, of course, sourcing the correct material as well. As I said before, if you're okay with sacrificing your old tips (if you're like me, I don't believe you would be ) you could probably use the inner wall of the dual tip as your material and should give you the 3-4mm of extra diameter needed to clamp a 2.5" inlet tip to. Alternatively you can source an extra set of tips on eBay that can be used as base material (mine were only $50). That would be the direction I would choose if I was deadset on running clamp-on tips, but as I am okay and prefer running weld-on tips (granted also that the exhaust shop can properly center them and ensure they aren't crooked/twisted) my only consideration is finding tips that would be short enough to accommodate the small space available to work with.

Hope this helps
      03-29-2023, 06:39 PM   #13
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I got some 4" exhaust tips off of ebay that have been great. I think at the time they were around $40 for both.

That is some good fitment and pretty ideal to how much "poke" I would want from my setup

E92/e93 guys are so lucky, that extra .5" in clearance seems to play a big factor in getting the 7" long eBay tips to fit correctly without much extra work
If the Amazon tips I purchased earlier don't seem like they will be a good fit, I will probably end up going for these eBay tips and making them work somehow
      03-30-2023, 01:25 AM   #14
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

I have these.
I can’t find the link, it’s been a couple of years and disappeared off my eBay purchases..

I thought they’d fill the entire hole in the diffuser but there’s still a gap. They look good and are easy to clean.
Appreciate 1
racerbruce3854.50
      03-30-2023, 07:36 AM   #15
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I don't believe so, no. The OD of the stock 335i exhaust is 60mm and the ID of the 2.25" tip inlet is 58mm. I have a feeling that, given 2-3mm of variance for the tip metal/material; the OD would also be about 60mm; I would assume the ID of the 335i exhaust is somewhere around 58mm as well, effectively making any tips advertised as 2.25" weld-on only

I understand the need to be explicit and the feeling of being deadset on specific goals so I will not try to dissuade you; rather I'll try to answer the rest of your concerns below

I have not tried removing tips in the fashion you described but from what I can tell from my extra set of stock 335i tips is that they are pressed on there pretty tightly. If you've already removed the stock tips in such fashion then I stand corrected as I assumed the only way to remove the tips was to grind the end of the tips off and shimmy the inner and outer wall of the dual wall tip off. That would be good news for my setup considering I can preserve as much of the original exhaust piping as possible for the exhaust shop to work with in fitting new tips

As far as your second question, with enough money, patience, and skill anything is possible. You would really only need the correct material to act as a "step-up" adapter and, of course, sourcing the correct material as well. As I said before, if you're okay with sacrificing your old tips (if you're like me, I don't believe you would be ) you could probably use the inner wall of the dual tip as your material and should give you the 3-4mm of extra diameter needed to clamp a 2.5" inlet tip to. Alternatively you can source an extra set of tips on eBay that can be used as base material (mine were only $50). That would be the direction I would choose if I was deadset on running clamp-on tips, but as I am okay and prefer running weld-on tips (granted also that the exhaust shop can properly center them and ensure they aren't crooked/twisted) my only consideration is finding tips that would be short enough to accommodate the small space available to work with.

Hope this helps

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...id:X5GdhacZpd0

Greetings Gnome,
If you can, view both videos that show OEM exhaust tip removal.

The one is a bit comical depicting the wood driver splintering, but it worked.

Looks like there are clips that hold the OEM exhaust tip in place and you can drive the OEM tip off of the OEM exhaust pipe?
      03-30-2023, 12:21 PM   #16
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

A thought....
Create a spacer by wrapping high temperature exhaust tape around the OD of the OEM pipe's 2 5/16 in diameter (after removing the OEM exhaust tip) to create a uniformly round landing for the ID of the clamp-on aftermarket exhaust tip of 2 1/2 in; I found a number of tape options that are 4 mil thickness (that 's the thickness of a piece of paper); this one is at least 10 mil and maybe there are others out there that are thicker?

Any thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28516501015...75.c101224.m-1
      03-30-2023, 12:51 PM   #17
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

The video shows n52 exhaust tips. Those can come off by just pulling on them. I don’t think the n54 tips come off. They have to be cut off.

Tape seems like a good idea until you think about heat cycles. Could the tape change thickness and the clamp loosen?you can attach tips to the exhaust pipe with a self tapping screw.
Or
Cut a slit in the part of the tip that slides over the exhaust so it can bend and clamp down more.
Appreciate 1
racerbruce3854.50
      03-30-2023, 06:11 PM   #18
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
The video shows n52 exhaust tips. Those can come off by just pulling on them. I don’t think the n54 tips come off. They have to be cut off.

Tape seems like a good idea until you think about heat cycles. Could the tape change thickness and the clamp loosen?you can attach tips to the exhaust pipe with a self tapping screw.
Or
Cut a slit in the part of the tip that slides over the exhaust so it can bend and clamp down more.
Thank you Serf,
Playing in the back of my head was "OEM exhaust tip removal is standard for all BMW's...." except N54.

If the tips have to be cut off, I presume the OEM muffler exhaust pipe would remain intact and the tips could be "mechanically removed"?

What appeared to be an easy and small aesthetic upgrade after I spent a couple of days sanding and painting the OEM mufflers with black heat paint has become a shlameel....

Any other N54ites out there that can add dialogue on N54 OEM exhaust tip removal by simply pulling or driving them off with a block of wood on the back side and a hammer??
      03-30-2023, 06:34 PM   #19
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Like I said, judging from my spare set of tips, they look pressed on there. There is absolutely no way you can just shimmy them off like the guy in the video did. They maybe could be persuaded to slide off with a deadblow mallet and a block of wood but you run a high risk of damaging your original tips and if they are welded or electronically fused in any capacity, you are boned.

If you don't want to destroy your original tips, I suggest you find a vendor online that can provide a spare set of tips for you to mod. You can cut your original tips off right after the muffler and weld the modified setup in place: it will look completely OEM besides the new welds. This allows you to retain your stock tips just in case you want to revert to your old tips but obviously would require cutting/welding. In order to accomplish what you want, destroying a set of tips/original piping and/or cutting/welding something is required: I don't think there is any way around that

Also, a piece of paper is about .1mm thick, so to fill that space to "step-up" the 60mm exhaust piping to 64mm, you'd need about 20 pieces of paper or something about 2mm thick (to add an extra total of 4mm of filler material to act as your adapter). I would not suggest exhaust wrap or tape: you need metal in there for it to not be a shoddy job and ensure a solid connection that will not be subjected to wiggling loose overtime
      03-30-2023, 06:34 PM   #20
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Like I said, judging from my spare set of tips, they look pressed on there. There is absolutely no way you can just shimmy them off like the guy in the video did. They maybe could be persuaded to slide off with a deadblow mallet and a block of wood but you run a high risk of damaging your original tips and if they are welded or electronically fused in any capacity, you are boned.

If you don't want to destroy your original tips, I suggest you find a vendor online that can provide a spare set of tips for you to mod. You can cut your original tips off and weld the modified setup in place: this allows you to retain your stock tips just in case you want to revert to your old tips but obviously would require cutting/welding. In order to accomplish what you want, destroying a set of tips/original piping and/or cutting/welding something is required: I don't think there is any way around that

Also, a piece of paper is about .1mm thick, so to fill that space to "step-up" the 60mm exhaust piping to 64mm, you'd need about 20 pieces of paper or something about 2mm thick (to add an extra total of 4mm of filler material to act as your adapter). I would not suggest exhaust wrap or tape: you need metal in there for it to not be a shoddy job and ensure a solid connection that will not be subjected to wiggling loose overtime
Thank you Gnome,
A pieced of paper is 4 mils thick so a 10 mils thick exhaust wrap would be problematic, for sure.

Thanks for the clarity re the N54 tips!
      03-30-2023, 06:42 PM   #21
GnomeChild
IN54NE
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
The exhaust wrap would work if you wrapped it twice, it would give you 2mm of radial spacing which equates to 4mm of adaptive length but as stated before by a few of "us" that I would not trust exhaust tape to stand up overtime and could compress/shrivel/come loose with age and leave your tips stranded on the side of the road
You can probably go to an exhaust shop and ask them if they have 2.5" OD piping; it is an extremely common size so they should have some. With luck they will most likely have pipe with 2mm thick walls which would mean it has a 2.36" ID and can act as your adapter sleeve. Maybe ask for 2 sleeves about 1-2" of length to leave some room for adjustability

You would still most likely have to sacrifice a pair of tips but at least you'd have sleeves to slide/weld on after doing so

Last edited by GnomeChild; 03-30-2023 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: Fucked up my measurements, removed the "quoted" portion lol
Appreciate 1
racerbruce3854.50
      03-30-2023, 07:49 PM   #22
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Yea, the n54 tips look pressed on.
You’d probably have to beat them up real good to get them off. Here’s a picture.

The oem tips are worthless imo. Once you get new ones, you’ll probably never put the oem back on, especially if they have to be welded on.

You said you wanted dual tips on both sides? Maybe I read wrong, but do you have a different diffuser to accommodate that?
The stock m sport diffuser would probably allow some small dual tips but may look funny.

I forgot about sleeves and adapters. I did use an adapter for the tips I got off eBay and welded them in.

It would be less trouble to go to a muffler shop and see what they have in stock. If nothing looks nice, they have magazines to pick and choose from and they’ll weld them on.

The black muffler came out clean btw.
I’d like mine polished but would look funky with the welds from the PE mod.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
racerbruce3854.50