E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > 4.68 GPA - Can Someone Explain This To Me?

Closed Thread

04-20-2018, 08:42 PM   #45
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
As someone that graduated a long time ago, I can tell you that people graduating in less than 2 weeks have absolutely no idea what they are talking about when it comes to what matters in getting and keeping a good job.

Come back when you have some management experience and understand exactly what people look for when narrowing candidate resumes and interviewing.
In 2013 I graduated with a 2.8 gpa in electrical engineering from a well respected school and couldn’t even get an interview. Went back to school, got my masters with a 3.93 gpa and had a job at one of the top semiconductor companies in the world before I even graduated. If you think gpa means nothing for new college grads you’re fucking clueless.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 04:25 PM   #46
Thxrick
The Cool Guy/ You're drinking' Buddy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 e90, 2015 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
In 2013 I graduated with a 2.8 gpa in electrical engineering from a well respected school and couldn’t even get an interview. Went back to school, got my masters with a 3.93 gpa and had a job at one of the top semiconductor companies in the world before I even graduated. If you think gpa means nothing for new college grads you’re fucking clueless.
It's all relative. I know jack asses who make double what you make selling pacemakers and they couldn't add 2+2...if you can talk with people, have street smarts, common sense coupled with some sort of worth ethic, you will do well.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 03:09 PM   #47
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Congrats? GPA doesn't mean shit. You not getting an interview was likely due to a shit resume and not your GPA. How you interview, demonstrating the ability to communicate well, demonstrating drive and the ability to juggle tasks ALL mean much more. Just about everything else on your resume is more important. As I said previously, until you have done the interviewing and had people work for you... you really don't know what is important and what good managers actually look at (I didn't until I got there either).
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #48
Contable
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I only wish someone would ask me what do I think I would be doing after getting a degree in aircraft ground handling in a college from which several hundred students graduate (having this degree). No way our country needs that many managers and no way for me to work as a mover.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 09:55 AM   #49
Habs11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
I believe the initial GPA talk was relative to High School not college. College grads are all on a 4.0 scale I thought.

In some fields - engineering for example - GPA drives a lot of the hiring process. Companies want book smart!! Sales - I'm less concerned with grades and more concerned with what Thxrick mentions - communication and common sense skills.

When I hire I look for (in this order):
1) Fit with my team (and the firm)
2) Ability
3) Initiative
4) Estimated longevity
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #50
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Congrats? GPA doesn't mean shit. You not getting an interview was likely due to a shit resume and not your GPA. How you interview, demonstrating the ability to communicate well, demonstrating drive and the ability to juggle tasks ALL mean much more. Just about everything else on your resume is more important. As I said previously, until you have done the interviewing and had people work for you... you really don't know what is important and what good managers actually look at (I didn't until I got there either).
you clearly have no idea how the hiring process in the engineering field works. ill just leave it at that. good luck with that douchebag know it all attitude.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 12:05 PM   #51
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Gpa the only thing that sets apart the hundreds of kids applying for entry level jobs out of college.

I hire a lot of fresh out of college kids and ill get 50-100 resumes in a 2 day career fair. Unless there's some with significant experience, gpa the best way to get called.

Quote:
you clearly have no idea how the hiring process in the engineering field works. ill just leave it at that. good luck with that douchebag know it all attitude.
This guy gets it

I didn't have the best gpa in college, and it wasn't easy finding a good job.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      06-08-2018, 09:19 AM   #52
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have no direct knowledge, but my brother is an engineer so I am not completely clueless. I know he didn't have anywhere near a 4.0 and had no issue getting a job because he has a lot of other qualities.

Takes one to know one? There isn't a job I know of that GPA is a useful metric to determine a good employee unless you just want a worker drone that has no intention of ever doing more than entry level work. In my field, we just look for more I guess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
Gpa the only thing that sets apart the hundreds of kids applying for entry level jobs out of college.

I hire a lot of fresh out of college kids and ill get 50-100 resumes in a 2 day career fair. Unless there's some with significant experience, gpa the best way to get called.

This guy gets it

I didn't have the best gpa in college, and it wasn't easy finding a good job.
GPA doesn't set apart anything. Almost every resume I see has a high GPA. Getting a high GPA gives me absolutely no information on how the person will work in the field. It means they can study and do homework, nothing about how they actually communicate, work on a deadline, juggle projects, get along with coworkers, think critically, or just about anything else that is actually important in a real job.

Edit: Let me put it this way... if you need to sacrifice your GPA in order to get an internship, any type of work related experience, experience running campus groups (frats, clubs, etc) or anything that will make you look like a more rounded person who is able to juggle work... do it.

Last edited by Hawkeye; 06-08-2018 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #53
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have no direct knowledge, but my brother is an engineer so I am not completely clueless. I know he didn't have anywhere near a 4.0 and had no issue getting a job because he has a lot of other qualities.

Takes one to know one? There isn't a job I know of that GPA is a useful metric to determine a good employee unless you just want a worker drone that has no intention of ever doing more than entry level work. In my field, we just look for more I guess?

GPA doesn't set apart anything. Almost every resume I see has a high GPA. Getting a high GPA gives me absolutely no information on how the person will work in the field. It means they can study and do homework, nothing about how they actually communicate, work on a deadline, juggle projects, get along with coworkers, think critically, or just about anything else that is actually important in a real job.

Edit: Let me put it this way... if you need to sacrifice your GPA in order to get an internship, any type of work related experience, experience running campus groups (frats, clubs, etc) or anything that will make you look like a more rounded person who is able to juggle work... do it.
the thing is, in the degrees and programs we hire from, everyone is required to have a certain level of work experience and everyone is required to have an internship just to graduate. the easiest way to differentiate between the dozens of people i meet and receive resumes from at the career fairs is to check GPAs.

of course, if they bomb the interview, a GPA isnt going to help.

I used to be like you and think GPA didnt matter much. "Cs get degrees". Until I started doing the hiring process like this, as does much of my industry for entry level positions.

And if someone has to sacrifice their GPA in order to do things outside of school work, it would signal to me they cant handle the heavy workload and high stress that will be required of them.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 12:57 PM   #54
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
the thing is, in the degrees and programs we hire from, everyone is required to have a certain level of work experience and everyone is required to have an internship just to graduate. the easiest way to differentiate between the dozens of people i meet and receive resumes from at the career fairs is to check GPAs.

of course, if they bomb the interview, a GPA isnt going to help.

I used to be like you and think GPA didnt matter much. "Cs get degrees". Until I started doing the hiring process like this, as does much of my industry for entry level positions.

And if someone has to sacrifice their GPA in order to do things outside of school work, it would signal to me they cant handle the heavy workload and high stress that will be required of them.
Well not everyone hires the same way, and it likely does change by industry due to how schooling is done. We select interns due to interactions on visits and interviews and GPA really doesn't make it's way into the process (we don't see anything below a 3.0 but that is much lower than what we are talking about in here).

We hire solely from our intern classes which checks the work requirement. So for entry level you need good communication and good fit within our company culture to get an internship and you need to prove yourself at the internship for a job. After my first job I personally just didn't even keep including my GPA and never got asked about it.

Maybe I am jaded from my experiences or my field, most of the higher GPA employees I have dealt with have been bad employees while middle of the road (~3.5 GPA) have been some of the better ones that adapt to the work quicker.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 01:11 PM   #55
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well not everyone hires the same way, and it likely does change by industry due to how schooling is done. We select interns due to interactions on visits and interviews and GPA really doesn't make it's way into the process (we don't see anything below a 3.0 but that is much lower than what we are talking about in here).

We hire solely from our intern classes which checks the work requirement. So for entry level you need good communication and good fit within our company culture to get an internship and you need to prove yourself at the internship for a job. After my first job I personally just didn't even keep including my GPA and never got asked about it.

Maybe I am jaded from my experiences or my field, most of the higher GPA employees I have dealt with have been bad employees while middle of the road (~3.5 GPA) have been some of the better ones that adapt to the work quicker.
our last recruiting trip we had over 60 resumes turned in for internships during a 1 day career fair. just no time to get much more info than gpa, any previous experience, and degree/age
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #56
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
No, you are definitely on to something. I have one employee who sported a 4.0 GPA out of university. He's very smart, pretty talented, and a complete nightmare to manage. He's so transfixed on being graded and scoring the perfect "grade" on his mid-year and end of year performance reviews that he structures his work to produce the highest possible review ratings as opposed to doing what's best, strategically, for the company.

His little brain was blown this week when he scored above average but below the top tier on his mid-year review. We talked a lot about his decisions to sideline projects of strategic importance in order to focus on projects that would net him the highest possible score on the report card. He didn't like that. He may leave. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread