E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Anybody doing 150 miles everyday?

01-01-2016, 09:30 AM   #1
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Anybody doing 150 miles everyday?

Guys
Firstly happy new year and hope you accomplish your plans for 2016 (car modding).

Quick question...anybody who covers more than 150 miles every day in 3 series? IF yes, can I kindly ask how do you find 3 series to do that sort of miles.

My current situation is covering 160-170 miles every day and 5 days / week. It takes me 3-4 hours daily to cover that (depends on traffic). Due to mortgage situation I went down the route of honda accord. Its excellent car and more or less fully loaded with leather heated seats. Problem is that seats are not comfortable, cabin is noisy compared to 3 series and head restraints are not adjustable.

I had 3 series and 5 series in the past and I was driving them 20-30 miles / days max. Occasional 3-4 hours drive once/ twice per annum so I am not sure how beamers are for daily long runs.

And hence I need opinion of those who do silly miles on daily basis, especially M sports owners.

Any comments / input welcome.
      01-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #2
umut335i
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible 2007

I drive my 335i to work on Frodays cover a return trip totaling 200miles. Its ridiculously uncomfortable but at the same time ridiculously fun!! its only once a week so doesnt matter too much however when the wife and I go on road trips we use the Golf TDI 140bhp dsg. That car is fully loaded sat nav leathers etc 2010 plate and is really really comfortable. We did a 1000mile return trip to Lake District and it just swallowed up the miles like it was nothing. Cabin noise is very quite in both the golf and the 335i even though the 335i is an e93 its still quite i have to say.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2016, 10:18 AM   #3
JM85
Captain
Rep
Drives: EBII F30 + AW E90

My old E90 Performance Ed covered 96,000 in 2.5 years, that wasn't 150 every day but some days it was 300+, I found it very comfortable & the sports seats were supportive

I had a VW Passat a couple of years previous (57 plate) & the seats were very soft but unsupportive & this would give me a bad back on long journeys (I am only 30 btw so not age related)

I am doing the same kind of millage in a F30 M Sport & again this is fine, get out after a long journey feeling fine

Not sure if this helps at all?
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2016, 10:33 AM   #4
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

I average 1000 a week. Love it. I have a firmer suspension than M3. One thing that's great for those miles vs a Honda is you change the oil ever 4 months instead of every 3 weeks. Tire costs suck however.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 11:03 AM   #5
Darkeeboy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5M50i

been doing that for the last year, but in a F10 5 series instead. That is very comfortable and never feel tired after 2hr+ commute... I did test the 330d but felt the road noise was too tiring long term..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 01:08 PM   #6
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

I was doing 100 miles a day in our Civic which I imagine is not too different from the Accord. Lots of toys but never felt as comfortable or relaxed as the 335. The engine rattle at idle drove me mad. To be very honest I was really gald when my wife agreeded to sell it. If it wasn't for the fact the Civic was twice as efficient as the 335i I would have happly used the 335i every day.

When we did our Europe trip a couple of summers ago, one day involved driving across 4 alpine mountain passes, and took over 7hrs to cover a few hundred KM. The 335 was faultless, couldn't have done that drive in any other car.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 01:14 PM   #7
dm2583
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i | E36 M3

I can easily do 400-500 miles a week in mine with a 200+ mile round trip 2-3 times a month and I never dread the journey, i love being behind the wheel of my car and always feel fresh when stepping out of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 01:18 PM   #8
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by umut335i View Post
I drive my 335i to work on Frodays cover a return trip totaling 200miles. Its ridiculously uncomfortable but at the same time ridiculously fun!! its only once a week so doesnt matter too much however when the wife and I go on road trips we use the Golf TDI 140bhp dsg. That car is fully loaded sat nav leathers etc 2010 plate and is really really comfortable. We did a 1000mile return trip to Lake District and it just swallowed up the miles like it was nothing. Cabin noise is very quite in both the golf and the 335i even though the 335i is an e93 its still quite i have to say.

Hope this helps
Brilliant and thanks for responding. Looked at the prices of Golf TDI GT and they are over priced IMO. Also my observation is that VW drivers are mostly idiots, middle lane hoggers and take the decision in last minute. com. Audi drivers are are slightly advanced than that and thinks that they own the road. Difference is that they do 70MPH in fast lane when inner lanes are empty thinking they are teaching others how to drive. Apologies if that seems daft but will not like to join those idiots at this age!

PS: Golf drivers are slightly better than their other counterparts though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM85 View Post
My old E90 Performance Ed covered 96,000 in 2.5 years, that wasn't 150 every day but some days it was 300+, I found it very comfortable & the sports seats were supportive

I had a VW Passat a couple of years previous (57 plate) & the seats were very soft but unsupportive & this would give me a bad back on long journeys (I am only 30 btw so not age related)

I am doing the same kind of millage in a F30 M Sport & again this is fine, get out after a long journey feeling fine

Not sure if this helps at all?

Ideal response with your age. I guess that is what I missed in my original posting. I hope others do not mind adding their ages when responding. I am 35 and never diagnosed with back / neck pain. However my current job is now desk based and sitting on the computer. Fact that my shifts are 9.5 hours daily that involves consulting my clients and making reports on the computer plus 4 hours driving does not help. I am having acute neck pain with spasm in the neck muscles.

My 3 series had good head restraint which used to help to support my head after every 20-30 minutes. 5 Series had better head restraint but honda has the worst head restraint I have ever seen. I know it is head restraint and not head support but its good enough to take periodic breaks and help your neck muscles when doing long journeys.

Thanks for your input and exactly what I expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
I average 1000 a week. Love it. I have a firmer suspension than M3. One thing that's great for those miles vs a Honda is you change the oil ever 4 months instead of every 3 weeks. Tire costs suck however.
Thanks for your input. I guess you guys have better roads than us in UK. Roads here suck.

I dont mind cost of tires and oil as far as it helps with the neck. If I am going to hurt my neck or back and have disc issues in next 10 year and spend money that way + suffer, I guess my other option will be to try beamer, merc or volvo and avoid any harm to spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkeeboy View Post
been doing that for the last year, but in a F10 5 series instead. That is very comfortable and never feel tired after 2hr+ commute... I did test the 330d but felt the road noise was too tiring long term..
F10 is the best cruiser which I have had. It was not as nimble as 3 series but best for long journeys.

Unfortunately, I am tight on budget and may go only for 320d this time. I prefer a car which is comfortable on long journeys with less road noise.

My options will be 320d vs C/E class merc or perhaps volvo. My heart and brain says go for 3 series as I know them in and out but some of my brain says that mercs / volvos are more comfortable as I hear from others. Not sure how true is that. And the fact that my budget will get me outdated interior of merc / volvo leads me to go for another 3 series. With 3 series I can always retrofit NBT and enjoy the car!

Thanks guys, keep responding and appreciate your input.
      01-01-2016, 01:26 PM   #9
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

I had neck issues 10 yes back. 3 herniated discs. the car since '08. Never had an issue get rid of run flats if you have them. Much smoother ride.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #10
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Sam - a bit off the curve, but have you considered a Mondeo? It's been a while since I've driven one though.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 01:47 PM   #11
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

I've got a 320d e92 and I do roughly 15-18k a year. I drive it how I want and it regularly returns over 50mpg. Mines an auto which is miles better than the manual. I find the car very comfortable and it makes long journeys very easy. Tax is £100 a year and with a few choice mods you can make it your own.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 01:48 PM   #12
JM85
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Ideal response with your age. I guess that is what I missed in my original posting. I hope others do not mind adding their ages when responding. I am 35 and never diagnosed with back / neck pain. However my current job is now desk based and sitting on the computer. Fact that my shifts are 9.5 hours daily that involves consulting my clients and making reports on the computer plus 4 hours driving does not help. I am having acute neck pain with spasm in the neck muscles.

My 3 series had good head restraint which used to help to support my head after every 20-30 minutes. 5 Series had better head restraint but honda has the worst head restraint I have ever seen. I know it is head restraint and not head support but its good enough to take periodic breaks and help your neck muscles when doing long journeys.

Thanks for your input and exactly what I expected

Happy to help, PM me if I can be of any further help

I would say adjustable lumbar support is a must, personally I prefer the supportive / firm seats of the M Sport but that could be personal preference

Personally I find the Leather is not ideal, perhaps a little sweaty on hot days, the Alcantara(sp) on the E90 was more comfortable

The companies fleet policy is 3 series, due to the 100k warranty & we have approx. 10 guys doing 35 - 40k per year in usually ES or Sport models depending on position
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #13
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
I was doing 100 miles a day in our Civic which I imagine is not too different from the Accord. Lots of toys but never felt as comfortable or relaxed as the 335. The engine rattle at idle drove me mad. To be very honest I was really gald when my wife agreeded to sell it. If it wasn't for the fact the Civic was twice as efficient as the 335i I would have happly used the 335i every day.

When we did our Europe trip a couple of summers ago, one day involved driving across 4 alpine mountain passes, and took over 7hrs to cover a few hundred KM. The 335 was faultless, couldn't have done that drive in any other car.
Thanks for your input and good to hear from your side after a while.
I guess Accord has quieter cabin compared to civic but not as quiet as 3 series. And in all honesty I am impressed with 2.2 CDTi as engine is refiner and quieter than 320d cold engine rattle. Most of my friends thought that it was petrol version till I told them.

Problem is intrusive road noise at 70mph and uncomfortable seats. I can live with it if my job get changed soon but if I do another 6 months with this contract, I can see myself

I agree that driving bmw is always pleasure ever if you do long journeys. Not sure if it is entirely down to comfortable cabin or more to do with high adrenaline ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm2583 View Post
I can easily do 400-500 miles a week in mine with a 200+ mile round trip 2-3 times a month and I never dread the journey, i love being behind the wheel of my car and always feel fresh when stepping out of it.
Music to my ears...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
I had neck issues 10 yes back. 3 herniated discs. the car since '08. Never had an issue get rid of run flats if you have them. Much smoother ride.
I always change them to standard shoes. RFTs are NO NO IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 AKY View Post
Sam - a bit off the curve, but have you considered a Mondeo? It's been a while since I've driven one though.
Which one would you suggest?

I considered mondeo, Insignia, passat, Avensis and Accord. Read reviews in detail and spent a month or so before I concluded Accord was most reliable with highest satisfied customers. Mondeo forum was full of problems. I had ford focus few years ago and every year something went faulty with that car. My brother has fiesta and it is full of issues.

Open to recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
I've got a 320d e92 and I do roughly 15-18k a year. I drive it how I want and it regularly returns over 50mpg. Mines an auto which is miles better than the manual. I find the car very comfortable and it makes long journeys very easy. Tax is £100 a year and with a few choice mods you can make it your own.
That is the plan. 320d auto. 520D F10 spoiled me. I enjoy driving manual and having more control but if I move to 320d, then I guess it will be 320d auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM85 View Post
Happy to help, PM me if I can be of any further help

I would say adjustable lumbar support is a must, personally I prefer the supportive / firm seats of the M Sport but that could be personal preference

Personally I find the Leather is not ideal, perhaps a little sweaty on hot days, the Alcantara(sp) on the E90 was more comfortable

The companies fleet policy is 3 series, due to the 100k warranty & we have approx. 10 guys doing 35 - 40k per year in usually ES or Sport models depending on position
TA!

We are in to winter (not a real one though) but yes leather seats lead to sweating after persistent sitting on leather seats.

I guess we get few hot days in uk therefore I can live with either of those
      01-01-2016, 02:11 PM   #14
pmmcbl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M-Sport

It's all relative to be fair. All depends on what 3-series you are planning to get.

Considering the mileage I would say the best car would be the 320d efficient dynamics. It's very comfortable with the soft shocks and the 16" wheels with high profile tyres. They are also very good on fuel. I have driven one for many miles and the only option you must have is lumbar support.

If you like most here go for and M-sport then swap the run flats for normal rubber. This will make the ride much better.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 02:24 PM   #15
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmcbl View Post
It's all relative to be fair. All depends on what 3-series you are planning to get.

Considering the mileage I would say the best car would be the 320d efficient dynamics. It's very comfortable with the soft shocks and the 16" wheels with high profile tyres. They are also very good on fuel. I have driven one for many miles and the only option you must have is lumbar support.

If you like most here go for and M-sport then swap the run flats for normal rubber. This will make the ride much better.
That is the plan. 320d Auto 08-10 car with 17-18 inch wheels and will ditch RFT. M sports is must as SE cars literally floats and gives me Audi like impression.

My options are

Shell 5-6K on 05-07 320d E90 and do mega miles like 150K plus.

VS

Spend 9-10K on 08-10 320d E90 and run it till 150K miles.

It is hard one. Shall I really go ahead especially when I am still waiting for the mortgage contract to get exchanged? Unfortunately, I am involved in long chain and things are not looking very well ahead.

Miswa and friends say...wait and get the house out of way and then settle other bits. But last two weeks have been pretty awful with Honda and neck is giving me really hard time!
      01-01-2016, 02:35 PM   #16
pmmcbl
Lieutenant
Rep

So how long to you plan to keep the car for? This is key since it will decide if you get an old car with more miles or a new ish with low.

I would do something different. I would change cars every 6 months to reduce your costs.

On my own car which I do very very low mileage I change them every 6 to 12 months. This means I'm most cases I don't do any work on them= free motoring. Also in most cases I make money on the car.

Doing that kind of miles I would get a newish car but with high miles. This way you are getting it cheap and if with good servicing most of the big jobs done. You then run it for another 50 to 100k and scrap it. By that I mean sell it cheap
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 02:52 PM   #17
JM85
Captain
Rep

Don't see the issues with the RFT's, the miles I do I prefer to have them incase of a puncture at inconvenient time / location as this has happened to me a few times

I don't find the ride too bad

I'd go for a nicer / newer E90 & run to 150k, hopefully get one with the newer timing chain guides
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 02:56 PM   #18
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmcbl
So how long to you plan to keep the car for? This is key since it will decide if you get an old car with more miles or a new ish with low.

I would do something different. I would change cars every 6 months to reduce your costs.

On my own car which I do very very low mileage I change them every 6 to 12 months. This means I'm most cases I don't do any work on them= free motoring. Also in most cases I make money on the car.

Doing that kind of miles I would get a newish car but with high miles. This way you are getting it cheap and if with good servicing most of the big jobs done. You then run it for another 50 to 100k and scrap it. By that I mean sell it cheap
Plan is to keep it for 1-2 years.

Either way plan was to get one on 80-90K with FBMSH and run it to ground or 150K. Just calculated that I may do 35-40k this year if this contract carries on.

I see your point but having individual moding makes it difficult to change it every 6 months.

I will be fitting cic / nbt, reasonable sound system and potentially 19 inch wheels and switching those to next car may be a nightmare.

Interesting to hear that you can make money on the car. My last 2 bmws went for less than what I paid for. They both went with mods and I recovered 50% of mods cost. So Its amazing that one can make money on a car. I am intrigued now.
      01-01-2016, 03:31 PM   #19
pmmcbl
Lieutenant
Rep

I make money selling it within 12 months and not doing 40k. I do spend a lot of time looking for the right car. I kow if I keep a car for longer than 12 months, I will be doing work, like service, tyres and maybe brakes if they need it. Then any profit is gone and I can only say it was 12 months of free motoring.

If you want to keep a 3-series make sure the mods can me moved to the next one.
Are you sure you want 19" wheels? With your mileage it won't be cheap. Assuming the alignment is ok and you check the pressures regularly you might get away with one set.

Not easy when you doing that kind of mileage.

good luck with the search.

I would compromise and stick with a standard 320d ED. that's of course running costs is the main reason.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2016, 10:06 PM   #20
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post

It is hard one. Shall I really go ahead especially when I am still waiting for the mortgage contract to get exchanged? Unfortunately, I am involved in long chain and things are not looking very well ahead.

Miswa and friends say...wait and get the house out of way and then settle other bits. But last two weeks have been pretty awful with Honda and neck is giving me really hard time!
The sensible thing is to wait till property stuff is done, but than again is £10k really going to make-or-break a deal??

The Honda will sell very quickly, our Civic went the same afternoon I put it up on Autotrader, and it's not like the 320d is a rare car....Still health concerns are always number one, if your neck is really severe and ends up meaning you cannot work that's your decision made already.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2016, 04:11 AM   #21
Somerset Jim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 LCI DCT & F01 730d SE

Hi Sam,

I had this thought recently and ended up changing the 3 series for a 7 series to do the big mileage on. The 7 is such a comfortable place to be and with the 3l diesel it is still relatively economical. I tend to return about. 36-38mpg but if you are doing more motorway miles then this will creep into the low 40's. The seats are very comfortable and even after a few hours at the wheel you come out feeling as fresh as you can do. Additionally the wind noise is almost non existent at anything below 60 and very quiet at motorway speeds. I use my car for a living travelling to clients houses dotted around the south west and some around the rest of the country and as such having a comfortable car was the key driver in changing recently. That's not to say that the 3 wasn't good, it was, but sacrificing the firmer ride for comfort was something I was looking for and the 7 ticks this box.

What about this sort of thing?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/111850321659

Or this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/252061230238
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 10:21 AM   #22
alzieboy
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E350 CDi Coupe

Get a Merc