E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Tail Light out on fender AND trunk (not sure what else to check?)

12-25-2022, 09:04 PM   #1
hallorjo
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe

Tail Light out on fender AND trunk (not sure what else to check?)

Hello all,

I'm having a hell of a time fixing a simple passenger side tail light out on my 07' 328xi coupe. Looking for any help or advice I can get from someone who has the same light assembly that I have. It seems these ones are a little different than most other 3 series.

It is the main running light that is supposed to stay on all the time. The thing that is throwing me off is that it's not only the fender tail light that is out, but also the running light on the trunk lid as well.... this made me pretty sure it wasn't a single bulb so I started diagnosing in this order:

1) Checked fuses - all were good

2) Checked wires between the trunk. Had a hell of a time trying to get the stupid grommet out of the way. Was ready to just cut it off... But checked at least 80% of those wires and they look brand new.

2) Pulled bulb assembly on fender. Tested all with 9v battery and they all come on, except for the very bottom one. It was one of the smaller clear bulbs. I replaced it and the tail lights still don't turn on. Not even sure what this bulb is for - might be a reverse light?

3) Pulled the felt cover off the trunk lid to access the bulb holders for the trunk lights. Discovered that there aren't any on this car... it's simply one light on each side that is connected basically directly to the trunk/light itself. I pulled these out, swapped them on each side of the trunk - and the light is still out... I don't see anymore lights on the trunk lid to test.

So at this point I'm guessing it has to be one of the two things below:

1) Perhaps the bulb that was out was controlling both the trunk lid light and the fender light, and now I need to have BMW use their fancy software to reset the computer to get the lights to turn back on?

2) Or I need to replace the entire fender tail light assembly, because I read some cars have LED's installed directly into the assembly itself. The only thing that makes me question this - is because both the trunk lid light and the fender lights are out. How would replacing the fender light assembly also fix the trunk light - they aren't connected physically.

What could cause BOTH the fender tail light and the trunk lid tail light to go out and stay out at the same time?? Is it possible that I need to buy a whole new tail light assembly for the fender? When those lights go bad does it also cause the tail light on the trunk to go out as well?

Super confused... any help is appreciated!!!!

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0