E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MOSFETS

01-13-2023, 02:25 PM   #1
1Bad335turbopsi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90,e92,e46 zhp,68 442

MOSFETS

Anybody had any luck replacing them yourself I bought the entire kit including the special heat gun and paste figure I would try it out watched a couple of YouTube videos' doesn't look too hard.
      01-13-2023, 02:45 PM   #2
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bad335turbopsi View Post
Anybody had any luck replacing them yourself I bought the entire kit including the special heat gun and paste figure I would try it out watched a couple of YouTube videos' doesn't look too hard.
Unless you have used the surface mount hot air rework station for things in the past I would be careful with it.... It is easy to accidentally unsolder some of the smaller components with the rework station so make sure to not get the heat near them if you do use it and also to cover everything around the mosfets with kapton tape to protect them and also avoid de-soldering them... I actually did accidentally blow a resistor loose with my hot air station and I had to resolder it and that is more difficult than the mosfets.

I found that it was better to just use a plain old 40w+ soldering iron for the mosfets. I lifted each leg carefully by melting the solder on them and pulling up once the solder liquified with a small pick tool. They won't be reused so there is no harm in bending the legs up.

I then heated the main metal body on the mosfet until it lifted up. Just don't pull hard on any of it when desoldering or it can pull traces off from the board, it should come up easily) Next use either a solder wick or sucker to remove the old solder from the pads to clean them up.

I then just added a small amount some solder to the main pad for the package body to the board to tint it. You can also use the paste for this. The paste expires quickly so I generally just don't bother with it.... I also like to feel the part sink into the solder to know it really did flow where paste is harder to see that unless you have done it a few times (Even for small pin parts I tend to drag solder instead of using the hot air and paste)

I then placed the mosfet on the board and then heated the package until the solder starts to melt then added more until I was sure there was a good flow between it and the board and the mosfet was pushed down flush against the board. I wanted to see the solder flow to the package edge just to be sure. The legs are then easy enough with a small tip standard soldering iron (I used a different iron/tip for the legs)

For people new to surface mount soldering I think it is much harder to know that there is a good flow with a hot air station than a normal iron but that could just be my experience...

-Rich
      01-24-2023, 10:29 AM   #3
Heeltoego
Rep
Drives: E92 335i / F15 X5 / E90 330i

I took my DME to a computer repair store and they replaced all the MOSFETs that I supplied them.
Appreciate 1