E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 shaking engine at idle and white smoke from under hood

08-24-2019, 11:45 AM   #1
Ethanace
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 318i 2008

E90 shaking engine at idle and white smoke from under hood

I bought a 2008 E90 two weeks ago and I've noticed considerable shaking from side to side on some occasions when the car has been sitting at idle. In addition, when driving and coming to a stop at lights, I have noticed on three occasions that light smoke has been rising from the hood area near my front wipers. This is obviously extremely concerning to me, but both of these issues are intermittent.

It's worth noting that when I bought the car, I had a gasket leak fixed as it had spilled oil into the engine bay area and was burning. I do not know if this is possibly the cause of the smoke, and I have checked but I do not see obvious signs of oil spillage. Again, this issue only seems to happen when I slow down to a stop from a speed of 40+ mph (usually at red lights).

Does anyone have ideas about what the cause of this problem could be? I have a warranty with the RAC and I really am hoping its something that can be covered, but I don't want to take it somewhere that charges me hundreds of pounds days after I have bought the car!
Appreciate 0