E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My E91 - Project Sportification

05-14-2018, 01:48 PM   #1
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Arrow My E91 - Project Sportification

Hello E90 world!

Happy to be finally on board. I searched for an E91 with the correct amount of pedals for only 3 months when one popped up locally within a couple hours of drive from me.

2009 328i xDrive Touring
6-speed manual
Monaco Blue Metallic
Saddle Brown Dakota Leather
Wood trim
Executive Package
Comfort Access
Navigation
16" wheels with new 205/55R16 Conti PureContact tires
118,000 kms

Basically, we bought the E91 to give our B6 Avant some company.

The first owner had the car until 2017 and the last owner had it less than a year. It was well maintained by a BMW dealer and the car is in a very good condition. It has a few dings and chips that I will address over time, but interior is like new and outside, the paint is very nice without rust.
The only desirable thing it's missing for me is a Sports Package.

I will keep this thread updated from time to time just to keep track of what I'm doing. I always keep a detailed history of all of my cars, so this would be a fun chronology online.
This will not be a "build" type thread. I am very happy with the car as is. My modifications always follow OEM+ theme and this one will be no different.
Therefore, my only objective is to transform the car a little from a luxury wagon to sports package car, hence the "Sportification".

I am a bit OCD when it comes to fixing things that bug me and many things do bug me. Here's my thread for the Avant to give you an idea.

That's it for now! Stay tuned folks. I'm eager to learn and share what I pick up along the way.
---------------------------------------

Updated status and thread index:

COMPLETED:
- Sport seats
- ZHP shift knob and OEM stainless steel pedals
- M Sport (Glacier Silver) interior trim
- 270M wheels installed!
- 335i brakes
- Wireless phone charger added
- 330i 3-stage intake manifold, Tune for the intake, Euro air intake, AFE S-Dry air filter, new starter, valve cover gasket, spark plugs
- Side marker refresh
- Radio Amp replaced - SOS Malfunction Error message resolved!
- Heated sport steering wheel with M trim and leather wrap + OEM Alcantara shift boot
- European rear taillights with orange indicators
- Complete rear bottom end refresh - subframe, bushings, control arms, axles, hubs, diff, shocks, mounts etc.
- Complete front bottom end refresh - subframe refurbished, engine mounts, control arms, struts and mounts, engine mounts, hubs PLUS oil pan gasket, water pump, thermostat, coolant hoses.
- Installed "330i" rear lettering
- Installed an OEM 128i Performance muffler
- Lux V6 white LED DRL bulbs installed
Blower motor rescued
- Painting rear hatch trim black
- Headlight Lens restoration using Ceramic kit
- Replacement of sticky passenger side inner door handle

- M Performance side skirts installed
- M Sport front and rear bumpers installed
- E90 M3 door mirrors installed
- Windshield cowl seal panel replacement

COMING UP (i.e. parts ready):
- Carplay/Android Auto wireless display
- Rear view camera
- Dashcam
- Flush style roof rails

Future dreams:
- M Sport anthracite headliner and upper trim
- high gloss door trim

-------
I've learned from another source that my car in its config is 1 of 4 in Canada. Super rare, collectible, I'm parking it now and saving it for Barrett-Jackson in 2050!
Quote:
15 - 2009-2012 BMW 328xi Touring (UU33) - NA painted in Monaco Blue Metallic (A35) with Saddle Brown Dakota Leather (LCD3) interior were built for the Canadian market. 4 manual, 11 automatic.

36 were built for the US market. 5 manual, 31 automatic.

The most rare option in this car is the option S2BWA - BMW LA wheel, dual spoke 268. It was installed on 203 out of 5,181 cars.

Last edited by eljay; 01-26-2024 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2018, 01:49 PM   #2
eljay
Colonel
Rep

reserved
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #3
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E91 328i & 07 E86 M

Garage List
Nice! Love the color. No mention of suspension?
2007 #1432 ///M Coupe Silver Gray - KW V3 Coilovers - AFE Intake - Strong-Strut Brace - Status Grupee Headers - Super Sprint Race Exhaust & Xpipe - 19" Avant Garde M359 - Stoptech 380 6 pot BBK - EPIC Motorsports Tuning ////////////2009 328xi M-Tech E91 manual 6spd

- Instagram ->@e91kiter
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 03:19 PM   #4
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
Nice! Love the color. No mention of suspension?
Thank you!
Currently, I don't have plans for suspension changes. If/when the shocks go, I will upgrade to a cup kit. From what I've read so far, xDrive kits are a bit harder to find and there's no OEM Sport option, which is what I'd do if it was available.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 08:31 PM   #5
caldep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325xi Touring MT X1 x28i

Garage List
2023 X2 F39  [0.00]
2022 X3 G01  [0.00]
2006 e91  [10.00]
Very nice! Love the color of the interior!
welcome to the 3 pedal E91 club!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 08:10 AM   #6
E93M3-08
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Thank you!
Currently, I don't have plans for suspension changes. If/when the shocks go, I will upgrade to a cup kit. From what I've read so far, xDrive kits are a bit harder to find and there's no OEM Sport option, which is what I'd do if it was available.
Welcome to the e91. Beautiful car, love the color.

If/when you need replacement shocks you might consider Bilstein B6 Performance Series Shocks and Struts. They replace the stock shocks directly and are probably the closest to what a factory sport (non-lowered) suspension would have been.

I installed those on my e91 with the stock springs and love them. They offer a firm ride without being harsh and eliminated about 90% of the "pothole explosions" I experienced with the stock suspension.
325XiT 2006 TiAg, 6MT, Bilstein shocks, BMW P/E, P/I, Performance alu front strut brace, BMW Perf. front and rear bumpers + rocker panels, 50% tint, roof rail delete, CDV delete, C/F delete, BMW blacklines, BMW gloss black kidney grill, Style 189 staggered, 3 stage manifold, AA stage 2 ECU tune, M-Sport leather seats + interior, M-Sport steering wheel, M-Sport door sills, sport gearshift knob, LUX AE V6.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #7
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by e9106 View Post
Welcome to the e91. Beautiful car, love the color.

If/when you need replacement shocks you might consider Bilstein B6 Performance Series Shocks and Struts. They replace the stock shocks directly and are probably the closest to what a factory sport (non-lowered) suspension would have been.

I installed those on my e91 with the stock springs and love them. They offer a firm ride without being harsh and eliminated about 90% of the "pothole explosions" I experienced with the stock suspension.
I currently have the Bilstien B12 Cup kit and would not recommend it. It uses the B8 dampers and after 1 winter season the front struts are shot. You would not believe the rust around the collars and the chrome is chipping off the actual shaft. BTW Bilstien's limited lifetime warranty doesn't cover any of this, after calling them it honestly doesn't cover much. The other thing is that when I installed it the car had major rake (front end sat higher than the rear) so ended up I installing a set of non xi spring perches to bring it down a bit. All in all the only thing that was good from this cup kit were the Eibach springs but IMO this kit sucks the bag and I'll never buy another Bilstien shock again for a car that drives the winter. I have a set of Koni Yellows sitting on my bench that will go in the next month or so we'll see how they hold up. Anyways when the time come to change the suspension keep this in mind.
2007 #1432 ///M Coupe Silver Gray - KW V3 Coilovers - AFE Intake - Strong-Strut Brace - Status Grupee Headers - Super Sprint Race Exhaust & Xpipe - 19" Avant Garde M359 - Stoptech 380 6 pot BBK - EPIC Motorsports Tuning ////////////2009 328xi M-Tech E91 manual 6spd

- Instagram ->@e91kiter
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 09:56 AM   #8
E93M3-08
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
I currently have the Bilstien B12 Cup kit and would not recommend it. It uses the B8 dampers and after 1 winter season the front struts are shot. You would not believe the rust around the collars and the chrome is chipping off the actual shaft. BTW Bilstien's limited lifetime warranty doesn't cover any of this, after calling them it honestly doesn't cover much. The other thing is that when I installed it the car had major rake (front end sat higher than the rear) so ended up I installing a set of non xi spring perches to bring it down a bit. All in all the only thing that was good from this cup kit were the Eibach springs but IMO this kit sucks the bag and I'll never buy another Bilstien shock again for a car that drives the winter. I have a set of Koni Yellows sitting on my bench that will go in the next month or so we'll see how they hold up. Anyways when the time come to change the suspension keep this in mind.
Yikes!! I've had mine for four winters, still going strong and Montreal is arguably the winter salt and pothole capital of the world.
325XiT 2006 TiAg, 6MT, Bilstein shocks, BMW P/E, P/I, Performance alu front strut brace, BMW Perf. front and rear bumpers + rocker panels, 50% tint, roof rail delete, CDV delete, C/F delete, BMW blacklines, BMW gloss black kidney grill, Style 189 staggered, 3 stage manifold, AA stage 2 ECU tune, M-Sport leather seats + interior, M-Sport steering wheel, M-Sport door sills, sport gearshift knob, LUX AE V6.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 10:00 AM   #9
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e9106 View Post
Yikes!! I've had mine for four winters, still going strong and Montreal is arguably the winter salt and pothole capital of the world.
My mechanic told me this is a common issue that he sees with the Bilstein shocks that have a very thick shaft but the B4 this is a direct replacement for the OE struts have no issues. Not sure about the B6 but I'm glad you don't have this issue.

- Instagram ->@e91kiter

Last edited by Cyclops; 05-15-2018 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 07:25 PM   #10
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Ouch. That's not a good thing after just one winter.
I am quite happy with Koni FSD + Eibach Pro kit on the Avant. That said, I am not lowering the Touring, but I am happy enough with the Konis to consider them when the time comes. I'd be happy trying the B6 Bilsteins too.
Hopefully, that decision is still many happy kms away.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 07:46 PM   #11
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Wow, that audi thread is intense. Makes these BMWs look damn near Reliable
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 08:14 PM   #12
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Wow, that audi thread is intense. Makes these BMWs look damn near Reliable
Yeah.. that's why I smartened up and got an NA engine!
The Audi is pretty nicely setup, but I don't like the power delivery curve of that big turbo 1.8T. It needs a NA V8 in it.

I love how smooth the N52 is. The xDrive steering ratio is a disappointment, but not bad once you get used to it. I need some 18" tires with sturdy sidewalls to sharpen the turn in a bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 10:13 PM   #13
K9Leader
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix E91, 2011 128i E82

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2010 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Welcome to the E91 club. I'm a noobie myself - picked up a 2010 328xi three months ago. Mine does not have the third pedal - my 57 year old knees vetoed that idea.

So far, I have done:

Struts and shocks - Bilstein B4
Wheels and tires - ASA 18" with Michelins
Air box charcoal delete and new filter (stock)
Titanium lug bolts
Stainless steel brake lines
Front brakes - they were actually fairly new but one pad was cracked and had really scored the rotor . . . so I had to.
OFHG
Valvetronic motor gasket
Plugs and coils
Carbon fiber exhaust tips
Carbon fiber kidney grills
Canvasback cover for cargo area (dogs - two Tollers and one Brittany)

Still need to do:
Right cornering light not working - bulb is good so it's a wiring/contact/electrical problem. I don't particularly care whether it works but I can't stand having the warning lights.
Window tinting
Valve cover gasket (and probably new valve cover)
Oil pan gasket
Differential seals are leaking (I think)
(Oil pan gasket and differential seals may need to be hired out to a pro as those may be a bit more than I am prepared for/can afford the time.)

Would like to do:
335 brake calipers (but this would require doing the pads and rotors all the way around when what is on there is new and good). Will probably just settle for painting the stock calipers, rotor hats and edges (probably black but lusting for red, even though that might be a bit much for the puny stock calipers).
Three Stage intake manifold, because . . . more horsepower.

Loving the experience of a great handling daily driver. I've been in mostly 4-cylinder Subarus the past 15 years (2000 OBW and 2003 Baja, which are great for what they are and still have the Baja for utility work). I do have a '99 Corvette as my fun car but it is nice to have something fun to commute/haul the dogs to the park/make Costco runs in.

K9Leader
Red cars are faster . . . but Space Gray is okay, too.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2018, 12:08 AM   #14
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Yeah.. that's why I smartened up and got an NA engine!
The Audi is pretty nicely setup, but I don't like the power delivery curve of that big turbo 1.8T. It needs a NA V8 in it.

I love how smooth the N52 is. The xDrive steering ratio is a disappointment, but not bad once you get used to it. I need some 18" tires with sturdy sidewalls to sharpen the turn in a bit.
I do really like the look of that Audi. Sharp cars!

The N52 will give you little trouble. Nice pickup - you have two great wagons.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 04:24 AM   #15
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Leader View Post
Welcome to the E91 club. I'm a noobie myself - picked up a 2010 328xi three months ago. Mine does not have the third pedal - my 57 year old knees vetoed that idea.

So far, I have done:

Struts and shocks - Bilstein B4
Wheels and tires - ASA 18" with Michelins
Air box charcoal delete and new filter (stock)
Titanium lug bolts
Stainless steel brake lines
Front brakes - they were actually fairly new but one pad was cracked and had really scored the rotor . . . so I had to.
OFHG
Valvetronic motor gasket
Plugs and coils
Carbon fiber exhaust tips
Carbon fiber kidney grills
Canvasback cover for cargo area (dogs - two Tollers and one Brittany)

Still need to do:
Right cornering light not working - bulb is good so it's a wiring/contact/electrical problem. I don't particularly care whether it works but I can't stand having the warning lights.
Window tinting
Valve cover gasket (and probably new valve cover)
Oil pan gasket
Differential seals are leaking (I think)
(Oil pan gasket and differential seals may need to be hired out to a pro as those may be a bit more than I am prepared for/can afford the time.)

Would like to do:
335 brake calipers (but this would require doing the pads and rotors all the way around when what is on there is new and good). Will probably just settle for painting the stock calipers, rotor hats and edges (probably black but lusting for red, even though that might be a bit much for the puny stock calipers).
Three Stage intake manifold, because . . . more horsepower.

Loving the experience of a great handling daily driver. I've been in mostly 4-cylinder Subarus the past 15 years (2000 OBW and 2003 Baja, which are great for what they are and still have the Baja for utility work). I do have a '99 Corvette as my fun car but it is nice to have something fun to commute/haul the dogs to the park/make Costco runs in.

K9Leader
Red cars are faster . . . but Space Gray is okay, too.
Good looking Touring!
Nice maintenance list you've tackled so far. How many miles do you have? I wouldn't bother painting the rotor hats. When they wear out and you upgrade to 335i setup, you can get coated rotors.

My summer fun car is an E46 M3, which I love dearly!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 04:24 AM   #16
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
I do really like the look of that Audi. Sharp cars!

The N52 will give you little trouble. Nice pickup - you have two great wagons.
Thank you. We love wagons with three pedals!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 03:53 PM   #17
eljay
Colonel
Rep

I can't decide, which wheels I should look for. I love the 400M design (less spokes, less cleaning!), but I also like the 270M. However, I cannot find a conclusive answer on the 270M wheels (They are ET20). Some say they rub with 225/40R18 tires and say they don't. Besides that, the front sticking out may just be throwing debris on the side of the car, which is what I don't want.

Gotta do more browsing on that.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 06:50 AM   #18
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Well, I sold the 16" wheels and tires. The tires were brand new, so perhaps that was stupid, but it now enables me to get an 18" setup.
In the meantime, I put on the winter 17" setup, which are replica wheels with Pirelli Sottozeros. I will be selling these too and look for another winter setup in the Fall, but there's still time for that.

As it sits today...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 06:57 AM   #19
eljay
Colonel
Rep

I was very very lucky and found an E90 with Sport Saddle Brown interior nearby, so I bought the front seats. Then I managed to find an E90 with M Sport trim, so I had all those pieces shipped and will be installing them over the next couple of weeks as I need to buy some replacement trim clips.

Over the weekend, I got a chance to install them. What an upgrade! I didn't drive around with them yet, but will get to it this week. And they look fantastic too.
I managed to install the driver's side M door sill. Sadly, that's the only one I got to put in as many of the clips broke, so I need to order new ones to finish the install.
I am super excited about the new look!

Something is missing here...

Okay, this is better. You can see the difference between the sport and non-sport seat.

And finished along with the M door sill plate.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2018, 07:20 AM   #20
ramp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91, Lemans Blue

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Sweet
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 08:47 AM   #21
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Beautiful seats, where did you get them? I wouldn't worry about the oil pan, at that low mileage it shouldn't be a bad leak, only small seepage which is nothing to worry about.
Are you in Nova Scotia? How does the Audi drive and are they nightmares like everyone says they are?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 09:43 AM   #22
E86Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3.0si

E91 here as well. Eljay if you don't want to go m package. Get the front splitters for the regular bumper
Appreciate 0