E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d Maintenance Schedule

04-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #45
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

One forum member recommended John EMW somewhere in 626 area code, 4four5 6six0zero
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 06:26 PM   #46
gruppeM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, 335d M-Sport, 4.8is

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
One forum member recommended John EMW somewhere in 626 area code, 4four5 6six0zero
I know John. My friend used to work for him. He's the owner at EMW. I am in need of a good SERVICE ADVISOR, not a tech. Thanks though.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:41 AM   #47
dixy2k
Major
Rep

Sorry, I miss read your post.
Competent and knowledgeable SA? I don't believe in that. They are essentially sales people, not a lot of mechanical knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #48
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
This is it, current as of this past year.
Thanks again. I always lose this pdf.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 11:07 AM   #49
gruppeM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
Sorry, I miss read your post.
Competent and knowledgeable SA? I don't believe in that. They are essentially sales people, not a lot of mechanical knowledge.
I would have to agree. Pretty sad but true.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 11:33 PM   #50
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep

What do you fellas think about oil changes every 10k vs 13k factory interval?

Costs me $140 for supplies and labor.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 03:39 AM   #51
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdiaz View Post

10K seems a reasonable interval; the Blackstone lab oil thread over in bimmerfest seems to indicate that's a point that leaves a bit of life in the oil for a safety margin.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 12:07 PM   #52
dixy2k
Major
Rep

I always changed the oil at 6k miles. Dirty oil could add to CBU.
But guess what.
I got CBU.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #53
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdiaz

Code your car to add $8kc to VO and you will have it.

140 is an ok price.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #54
Mrchntmarine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruppeM3 View Post
Just got an update. So I was right after all. My service advisor called me back and told me that the fuel filter is supposed to be replaced at every second oil change

So make sure you all get your fuel and intake air filter replaced every second oil change. If they refuse, refer them to the attached file. It states this on page 11;

Emission Control Maintenance
Schedule
The maintenance schedule as shown is required
for the proper functioning of the emission control
systems for optimum vehicle performance and
fuel economy.
Basic Engine
Engine oil As specified by CBS
Engine oil filter As specified by CBS
Fuel System
Air filter Replace at every 2nd
Engine Oil Service
Air filter (Z4 only) As specified by CBS
Fuel filter (335d only) At every 2nd engine oil
change

thanks for the heads up on the above. tend to forget about this part because their always stressing this conditional based service… did some checking on my service as a result and I've had 5 oil changes - 1 I had to pay for even though the book says to have the oil changed once a year and 1 was good will. However, I have only once in 4 years and almost 30k miles been given 1 diesel fuel filter and 1 air filter. so I guess if the books says to change the oil once a year, that one is on the owner and not BMW if the computer says no oil change is due? also, then that would leave me with 3 "covered" oil changes and if the fuel filter and air filter are to be changed every 2nd oil change, then I'm good according to BMW? I would think I should have had at lead 2 fuel filters and air filters by now???
2012 Q5 TDI (sold) 2014 Q5 TDI 2016 Audi A6
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #55
gruppeM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchntmarine View Post
thanks for the heads up on the above. tend to forget about this part because their always stressing this conditional based service… did some checking on my service as a result and I've had 5 oil changes - 1 I had to pay for even though the book says to have the oil changed once a year and 1 was good will. However, I have only once in 4 years and almost 30k miles been given 1 diesel fuel filter and 1 air filter. so I guess if the books says to change the oil once a year, that one is on the owner and not BMW if the computer says no oil change is due? also, then that would leave me with 3 "covered" oil changes and if the fuel filter and air filter are to be changed every 2nd oil change, then I'm good according to BMW? I would think I should have had at lead 2 fuel filters and air filters by now???
You should have had two fuel filters done by now but the dealership won't do it unless you tell them. Even then sometimes they will fight with you about it and tell you that it isn't required. Just pull out your owners manual and show it to them. It clearly states in their that they must replace it every second oil change.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #56
Mrchntmarine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You should have had two fuel filters done by now but the dealership won't do it unless you tell them. Even then sometimes they will fight with you about it and tell you that it isn't required. Just pull out your owners manual and show it to them. It clearly states in their that they must replace it every second oil change.
that's what I think. called by service writer to confirm every second change with the oil service and he said he'd check it out and get back to me. when he called back he said he was told that the diesel fuel filter and air filter are to be changed every 3rd oil change per the service mgr. when i mentioned that the book says every 2nd time, he was like oblivious and said that's what he was told. man, i get so tired of fighting these guys all the time - hell, it's in writing and you still have to fight. in the mean time, i got a call from BMWNA re: the email they requested i send them with my receipts, etc. for the latest repairs - wheel speed sensor and nox sensor, about 1400.00 to see if they could offer any goodwill. they said with a 4yr old car with less than 30k miles, that it's normal and expected for those parts to go bad and they could not do anything for me. As my car now sits in the shop getting a new catalytic converter…. can't believe these machines are that sensitive - maybe it's just me.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #57
gruppeM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
that's what I think. called by service writer to confirm every second change with the oil service and he said he'd check it out and get back to me. when he called back he said he was told that the diesel fuel filter and air filter are to be changed every 3rd oil change per the service mgr. when i mentioned that the book says every 2nd time, he was like oblivious and said that's what he was told. man, i get so tired of fighting these guys all the time - hell, it's in writing and you still have to fight. in the mean time, i got a call from BMWNA re: the email they requested i send them with my receipts, etc. for the latest repairs - wheel speed sensor and nox sensor, about 1400.00 to see if they could offer any goodwill. they said with a 4yr old car with less than 30k miles, that it's normal and expected for those parts to go bad and they could not do anything for me. As my car now sits in the shop getting a new catalytic converter…. can't believe these machines are that sensitive - maybe it's just me.
I try to be nice but I just can't anymore with these people. You have to be an asshole if you want to get things done. If not they will just ignore your requests and never get anything done. Had a terrible experience not even two weeks ago when I took the diesel in for the fourth oil change. I mentioned the fuel filter to the service advisor and she seemed irritated. I know it's because I went above her head the first time around. She didn't really like that I had other people look into the whole fuel filter fiasco. I had a talk with the service manager and he was very apologetic. He had a talk with her. I know because I was sitting in my loaner when he pulled her aside. My wife and I just watched as she was scolded

Ohh yeah, the dealership that I had this terrible experience with, on more than one occasion was BMW OF MONROVIA. Stay away from these incompetent service advisors.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #58
ewodzien
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 3.5d

Where did this information come from? BMW's web site download?

Because according to my owners manual, it *is* every 3rd oil change. See scan directly out of my owners manual below.

Also, I checked with my service advisor (who doesn't suck and "gets it") and he said it was every third oil change.

I'll admit that I think that changing the fuel filter at almost 40K miles is a bit long in my experience with TDIs which are changed every 20K. Are the filters on the D so much bigger to accommodate the extra long interval?

Concerned,

Ed

Quote:
Just got an update. So I was right after all. My service advisor called me back and told me that the fuel filter is supposed to be replaced at every second oil change

So make sure you all get your fuel and intake air filter replaced every second oil change. If they refuse, refer them to the attached file. It states this on page 11;

Emission Control Maintenance
Schedule
The maintenance schedule as shown is required
for the proper functioning of the emission control
systems for optimum vehicle performance and
fuel economy.
Basic Engine
Engine oil As specified by CBS
Engine oil filter As specified by CBS
Fuel System
Air filter Replace at every 2nd
Engine Oil Service
Air filter (Z4 only) As specified by CBS
Fuel filter (335d only) At every 2nd engine oil
change
Attached Images

Previous rides:2011 335d Jet Black / Black w/ Sport Pkg - Loaded
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #59
ewodzien
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've noticed that the date revision on gruppeM3's PDF attachment is 2/10. The date on my owners manual is 9/10.

Looks like they made the change between the two.

My question is what do the manuals for the 2009 and 2010s have in them?

-Ed
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 04:09 PM   #60
ewodzien
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So I emailed my service advisor and thought other members might be interested in the conversation:

Quote:

From what I've seen the 3rd oil service usually occurs at or before 30k miles. BMW generally have longer service intervals than most other manufacturers.

-----Original Message-----

Hmm, interesting. The fuel filters are designed to last approximately 40K huh? That is double what VW does with their TDIs. Have you run into this discrepancy before?
-Ed

On 2014-05-09 12:23, BMW wrote:
That's so strange. I looked up your manual through our internal BMW's
website and it shows every 3rd service. Separate from the owners
manual your car actually tells us when the filters need to be
replaced. Every time we download the data in your key for a service,
your car will list all the individual services needed such as air
filter, fuel filter, spark plugs (on non diesel cars), etc in
conjunction with an oil service. If it was on there the last time then
we would've replaced it too. Since the 2009 335d's came out we've
always replaced the fuel filter on the 3rd service.

-----Original Message-----

Thanks for checking. But according to the owners manual, it is every
second oil change. Please see page 11 on the attached PDF from BMW.

-Ed

On 2014-05-09 10:46, BMW wrote:
Hey Ed,
The fuel filter was not changed at the last service as it's not due
until the 3rd service. Here's what your owner's manual shows:

Engine oil
Maintenance work:
 Change the engine oil and oil filter.We recommend BMW High
Performance 5W-30 Synthetic Oil P/N 07 51 0 017 866 (gasoline engines
only) or P/N 07 51 0 037 195 (335d diesel engine only).
 335d only: Top up Diesel Exhaust Fluid.
 After every 3rd engine oil change: Intake air
cleaner: replace air filter element (reduce replacement interval in
dusty operating conditions).
 At every 3rd engine oil change: Replace diesel fuel filter (335d
only).
 Parking brake: Check function and pre-burnish (pre-burnishing not
applicable for 5 Series and Z4).
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #61
Mrchntmarine
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewodzien View Post
So I emailed my service advisor and thought other members might be interested in the conversation:
So I called BMWNA to ask them to ck every 2nd or 3 rd time for fuel and air filter change and oil change every year so I could have anything needing to be done while the car was in the shop get the cat converter replaced. Long story short- it took 2 days and they called back and said they talked to service manager and it's all sorted out- oil change is to be every year and for me to call them to get info on fuel and air filter change. Finally got a hold of Servcice mgr and he said they were still trying to figure it out that head mechanic says every 3rd change... I explained that my manual says every year for the oil and every 2nd oil change for the fuel and air filter. He told me that there was a service update and it was all changed from 3rd oil change to every 2nd now and that. I was right. Great I say, when was the change as my book was printed in 2009 and it reads every 2nd... Blah, blah, blah... So they said they were going to change the fuel and air filter while I buy an extended warranty. Get that done and the car is ready and I say to the service writer, get the air and fuel filter changed? He says, it's not due for an air filter, just fuel and we did that. Unbelievable. So I go through the whole story again and again, show him the book again and finally get it done. Man, you'd think I was asking for a hunk of palladium coated kryptonite.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #62
gruppeM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So I called BMWNA to ask them to ck every 2nd or 3 rd time for fuel and air filter change and oil change every year so I could have anything needing to be done while the car was in the shop get the cat converter replaced. Long story short- it took 2 days and they called back and said they talked to service manager and it's all sorted out- oil change is to be every year and for me to call them to get info on fuel and air filter change. Finally got a hold of Servcice mgr and he said they were still trying to figure it out that head mechanic says every 3rd change... I explained that my manual says every year for the oil and every 2nd oil change for the fuel and air filter. He told me that there was a service update and it was all changed from 3rd oil change to every 2nd now and that. I was right. Great I say, when was the change as my book was printed in 2009 and it reads every 2nd... Blah, blah, blah... So they said they were going to change the fuel and air filter while I buy an extended warranty. Get that done and the car is ready and I say to the service writer, get the air and fuel filter changed? He says, it's not due for an air filter, just fuel and we did that. Unbelievable. So I go through the whole story again and again, show him the book again and finally get it done. Man, you'd think I was asking for a hunk of palladium coated kryptonite.
Finally someone who understands what I have gone through I don't know if I am wrong or if BMW is wrong but the point is that they always seem to get it done whether I'm wrong or not. They even apologize and say "yes, you were right. We will take care of it right away". This usually happens with the service manager and not the service advisor. So I'm just as confused as everyone else
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #63
gruppeM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewodzien View Post
Where did this information come from? BMW's web site download?

Because according to my owners manual, it *is* every 3rd oil change. See scan directly out of my owners manual below.

Also, I checked with my service advisor (who doesn't suck and "gets it") and he said it was every third oil change.

I'll admit that I think that changing the fuel filter at almost 40K miles is a bit long in my experience with TDIs which are changed every 20K. Are the filters on the D so much bigger to accommodate the extra long interval?

Concerned,

Ed
I got it from fellow forum member, taibanl. He posted it on the first page of this thread.

I will say that I think it's bull that BMW changed the interval for the fuel filter. I don't see how that could benefit us owners. And that is why I will always push them to change it at every second oil change.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #64
modobrew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Coming up on my 60-65k mile service. What do you guys recommend I have them check? I bought the car with 50k on it, and have changed the oil twice and the air filter once. I haven't taken it in for a service yet, so I don't know what to expect. I'm def going to have them check/change the fuel filter. Anything else I should have them check? Thanks in advance.
      05-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #65
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by modobrew View Post
Coming up on my 60-65k mile service. What do you guys recommend I have them check? I bought the car with 50k on it, and have changed the oil twice and the air filter once. I haven't taken it in for a service yet, so I don't know what to expect. I'm def going to have them check/change the fuel filter. Anything else I should have them check? Thanks in advance.
Assuming you have the extended service plan. But the service manual is a good reference. Most dealers dont know about the fuel filter change. Dont let them rip you off. If they tell you it needs this or that, find an BMW INDY mechanic to do the work.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #66
modobrew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdiaz View Post
Assuming you have the extended service plan. But the service manual is a good reference. Most dealers dont know about the fuel filter change. Dont let them rip you off. If they tell you it needs this or that, find an BMW INDY mechanic to do the work.
No extended service plan, only extended warranty. I see you are in Durham, do you have any recommendations for an INDY?