E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Headers on N52 and still pass emissions?

02-03-2018, 09:05 PM   #23
E92inAZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 coupe

People keep using language like 'tricking the test'. I don't feel like I'm tricking anything..... My computer doesn't claim that there are cats when there aren't, that would be a trick.
Rather, my computers new program just doesn't think it's a big deal that the cats aren't there so it doesn't register an error.
No trickery, just different priorities.

(Although: 1- even if it was a flat out lie that registered absent cats present and working, I wouldn't care, really, the tune is THAT good; and 2- no matter how I word this post I feel a little like a former VP in charge of Volkswagen TDI emissions tuning )
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 06:50 AM   #24
Spitfire007
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92inAZ View Post
People keep using language like 'tricking the test'. I don't feel like I'm tricking anything..... My computer doesn't claim that there are cats when there aren't, that would be a trick.
Rather, my computers new program just doesn't think it's a big deal that the cats aren't there so it doesn't register an error.

(Although: 1- even if it was a flat out lie that registered absent cats present and working, I wouldn't care, really, the tune is THAT good; and 2- no matter how I word this post I feel a little like a former VP in charge of Volkswagen TDI emissions tuning )
Does anyone have specific NY state inspection info?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 10:49 AM   #25
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire007 View Post
Does anyone have specific NY state inspection info?
Here
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 11:57 AM   #26
Ali-323i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 323i (Cdn) 4dr E90

Garage List
2007 BMW 323i  [4.25]
Quote:

LOL
you can justify it however you want... but if you need to modify your car in order to pass a test that it would otherwise fail, that's pretty much "cheating", or "tricking the test".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I would or wouldn't do it, or suggesting you should or shouldn't... but people should be aware of what they are doing rather than doing it blindly. This is an illegal modification to your car so that you pass a test that your car will otherwise fail.

02-04-2018, 12:44 PM   #27
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3 6MT, '09 328i 6MT

Quote:

Your tune is 100%, without a doubt, fooling the OBD test into passing. There's no ifs or buts about this simple fact.

Glad it's worked for you though.

Appreciate 1
Ali-323i241.50

02-05-2018, 11:23 AM   #28
hassmaschine
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:

that's not how these tunes work though. It's not a 'program' - they just zero the counters for the error codes so they don't show up on the tester. But the internal errors are still there. So it is, in fact, tricking the tester to think the cats are working when they are not.
Appreciate 1
Ali-323i241.50

02-16-2018, 07:00 AM   #29
E92inAZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 coupe

now i kinda want to take a 'sniffer' test just to see .. . . i'm truly curious.

you're all right, of course. lying by omission IS still lying.

i used to have a honda that burned about a quart of oil per tank of gasoline and every time i went to get it tested - pre OBD, straight probe in the tailpipe testing - it would pass with flying colors even though during the start and run-up testing it FILLED the building's bays with smoke (yes, i left it like that for a few years. i didnt have any money!).
it passed because burning oil wasn't one of the values being tested for so the machine said all was good even though to everyone it very clearly wasn't. i guess from then on i lost respect for the validity of the emissions test as a standard to determine a car's condition and feel the my tuned BMW with the few modifications i have done still runs cleaner than many of the cars i see on the road every day.
(cars last forever in AZ, i'm surrounded by older cars in really bad condition)

sorry for derailing the thread, i had originally only posted because i had trouble finding any posts about AZ emissions before tuning.
2007 E92 328i coupe. 19" staggered VMR v710, front: 19x8.5 et35 continental 235/35 19, rear: 19x9.5 et33 continental 265/30 19; 1 inch front lowering perches; Msport rear bumper; roof spoiler; trunk lip; Bavsound UF110; carbon fiber wrapped interior trim; 3 stage BMW intake manifold; aFe magnum force stage 2 si pro 5R cold air intake; active autowerkes catless header; BPC stage 2 header tune
Appreciate 0