E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Wrapping E93 Top

02-20-2018, 08:37 AM   #1
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Wrapping E93 Top

When I bought my E93 there were some cosmetic issues with the paint. After wet-sanding, I've got all the damage cleared up aside from the roof of the car. There are some pretty bad scratches up there that can't be removed by compounds so I've decided I'm going to wrap it this summer.

First question: My car is black, should I keep the gloss black or should I do something different? I'm open to suggestions but can't think of anything that would be different but not look too ricey or anything of the sort. I will not do carbon fiber, as in my opinion if it's real carbon fiber and it's factory it's cool, otherwise it's just like everyone else's CF vinyl. No offense to any and all that love to wrap their stuff in CF vinyl, just not my style.

Second Question: How do I remove the roof shell trim pieces to ensure a seamless wrap? Anyone done this other than Tara? Saw her posts across multiple boards but her video shows the installer cutting around them.

Update: Just found this for anyone needing to remove or replace the roof hinge covers on an E93.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...g-roof/HHKUJBe

Last edited by King Rudi; 02-23-2018 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 11:28 PM   #2
DoJu3
Private
Rep
Drives: 10' BMW 328i Xdrive Sedan

Matte Black? I have always liked the combinations of matte in a gloss black car.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 08:09 AM   #3
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoJu3 View Post
Matte Black? I have always liked the combinations of matte in a gloss black car.
I've thought about that. The only thing that deters me from going that route is that I'll be wrapping the entire top. If it wasn't a cabrio and I could stop at the channels to keep gloss around the doors I would pull the trigger on matte or even satin but due to the top not having channels but the rail covers and they don't run the full length of the top, I'd have an exposed vinyl seam. Otherwise this is what I would go with.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 04:27 PM   #4
scanspeak
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325i 12/2007

How about some M stripes?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 07:50 PM   #5
e92_bryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘11 e92 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanspeak View Post
Why not a giant decal of a bowl or rice, bc thats what M stripes on a non M car are
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 07:52 PM   #6
e92_bryan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘11 e92 328

Not sure how bad the scartches are,
But to do a car right you need good vinyl and good vinyl is expensive. Assuming you’re doing this yourself, the cost of good vinyl shouldn’t be too far off from paying someone else to do a paint correction
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 07:57 AM   #7
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I can't bring myself to do something like that even if it was an M series. I debadge most everything. I'm not the guy to advertise what things already are. I go for subtlety. Those that know recognize.

Quote:
Why not a giant decal of a bowl or rice, bc thats what M stripes on a non M car are
My gigantic aluminum wing/spoiler for the trunk and fluorescent lights for the bottom of the car is on order along with my autozone hood scoop. *disclaimer: no offense to the other poster

Quote:
Not sure how bad the scartches are,
But to do a car right you need good vinyl and good vinyl is expensive. Assuming you’re doing this yourself, the cost of good vinyl shouldn’t be too far off from paying someone else to do a paint correction
The scratches aren't really noticeable as I keep it clean and shined up at all times but they are pretty bad. I've been doing a great deal of paint correction myself. I spent the first month wet sanding getting rid of small scratches and other damage. I actually spent this past weekend fixing chips in the front bumper with the Langka system; which I highly recommend btw.

I think in order to make it look the way it needs to, I'm all about subtle mods and try to make things look factory, the two pieces of the top would need to be sanded, painted and cleared. Good vinyl is expensive but it's also something I can do myself; painting I would have to pay someone to do. At this point I'm thinking of just going with gloss black, I just hate to do all that work to make it look like it already should versus making a subtle change.

I appreciate the ideas though, keep them coming.
Appreciate 0