E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > e93 - won't start -SOMETIMES!

05-24-2019, 11:53 AM   #1
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93, M sport, 269 alloys

e93 - won't start -SOMETIMES!

Hi All, it is ages since I posted here but I am still loving my e93 which I have had from new. Just recently I have an odd problem. I jump in the car, drive somewhere (30-45 minutes) stop the car and return 5 minutes later, but it wont start. The lights come on, press the start button and nothing happens. Lights go off except for engine management light.
First time I rang RAC, locked the car and left it for 20 minutes or so. Returned and tried to start it and engine cranked like usual and started, so cancelled the RAC. Did several trips since and no problem. Then today (another warm day) drove 40 minutes, stopped the car, came back 3 minutes later and would not start. Sat in car and tried every 10 minutes and as before, all lights came on, but when pressed start button the engine did not turn and all lights except the engine management light go off (radio, windows, etc., all still work) but the engine is not turned over at all. After 40 minutes, I gave up, locked the car and called RAC. Call took about 15 minutes. I returned to car, unlocked it and tried again and it started, just as it should.
Anyone got any ideas? It is a 2009 car with 60,000 on the clock. Well looked after and apart from this problem, it still drives like a dream.
Thanks to all that respond
      05-24-2019, 06:14 PM   #2
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgrey View Post
Hi All, it is ages since I posted here but I am still loving my e93 which I have had from new. Just recently I have an odd problem. I jump in the car, drive somewhere (30-45 minutes) stop the car and return 5 minutes later, but it wont start. The lights come on, press the start button and nothing happens. Lights go off except for engine management light.
First time I rang RAC, locked the car and left it for 20 minutes or so. Returned and tried to start it and engine cranked like usual and started, so cancelled the RAC. Did several trips since and no problem. Then today (another warm day) drove 40 minutes, stopped the car, came back 3 minutes later and would not start. Sat in car and tried every 10 minutes and as before, all lights came on, but when pressed start button the engine did not turn and all lights except the engine management light go off (radio, windows, etc., all still work) but the engine is not turned over at all. After 40 minutes, I gave up, locked the car and called RAC. Call took about 15 minutes. I returned to car, unlocked it and tried again and it started, just as it should.
Anyone got any ideas? It is a 2009 car with 60,000 on the clock. Well looked after and apart from this problem, it still drives like a dream.
Thanks to all that respond
Should have let the RAC inspect for codes lol, but while it's a shot in the dark maybe the battery needs replacing, the reason I thought of that is when you said the lights go out when you press the start button.. the amount of amps it tries to draw is pretty substantial and maybe the battery cant and it causes even the lights to go out (not enough power).. now windows and locks require no where near as much. Either way, I think youd have to do some more investigating otherwise you'll likely get opinions like mine
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 06:22 PM   #3
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Have you had the battery lead recall done?

Always worth checking for codes too just in case there is a clue. Sounds like an issue with the starting circuit.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 10:09 AM   #4
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Guys for coming back to me. I have the carly adapter and a friend has the software so together we can check codes. The suggestion on the battery is one I will check. It sounds odd, but I have a feeling that staying in the car stopped it starting. You see, when I got out, locked it and called the RAC, when I got back 15 minutes later it started. It may be that until I locked it loads of stuff was still in a 'ready' state and using power. Then when I tried to start it, there was not enough from the battery. But after the complete shutdown, when I went to start it, everything was 'off' and the start circuit got more power. I also wonder if it is a component on the fuseboard that is getting too hot. Has only happened on hot days. The internet has stuff about the tyco 6901469 causing starting problems when it overheats. I will change the battery first (cause it is still original) and if that does not work, will then try changing the tyco relay. Thanks again for your ideas. I will post again once I have managed to change the battery (access is not not easy on a e93).
      05-28-2019, 11:21 PM   #5
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

not a good idea to start throwing money at possible fixes,,check battery voltage first
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 01:51 AM   #6
UK_Nomad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 325i Cabriolet

I've had 2 non-start problems with my '07 E93 :
all electrics ok but won't turn over (cause was faulty starter motor)
*no* electrics at all (faulty B+ cable behind glovebox) - recall now being arranged.

^ neither of mine gave EML or codes, suggest you get a cheap code reader (mine was under £30 online) to see what is causing your EML.
Alternatively - check your battery voltage with a very basic multimeter.
      05-30-2019, 08:42 AM   #7
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I have now replaced the battery. The car is a 59 plate so it had done well, especially as I do not use the car that often. Sometimes it is 4-6 weeks without being used. I got a AGM battery with 95AH and 900CCA for £155 which seemed reasonable.
I am now going to have to just wait and see if I get another instance of non starting. My first impression is that it seems to start much quicker when I press the start button. It might just be my imagination. But before when I pressed the start button there was a little lag before it did anything, now with the new battery it is pretty much instant.
Thanks for all your suggestions. I will update in a week or so.
      05-30-2019, 09:03 AM   #8
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Presumably you have coded the new battery to the car?

You will want to maximise the benefit of your investment.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 01:41 AM   #9
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Here's an update. Since changing the battery I have not had a problem with starting. It is early days and I have only started the car a few times. I will update again if there is a change. I have had the battery registered as well.