E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Help: Logic 7 upgrade using a surface pro as a DSP and a Tesla style head u

04-05-2019, 06:49 AM   #1
Ishj
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Lightbulb Help: Logic 7 upgrade using a surface pro as a DSP and a Tesla style head u

My main computer in college is my trusty surface pro 5. I was thinking of ways to upgrade the audio while keeping the logic 7 in my 07 e92 335i, and it dawned upon me: why not use the surface as my HU, mounted on the dash, and use VSTs and a 7.1 USB sound card as my DSP. No need to shell out $1000 for that alpine H800.
I did an install back home (Mauritius) in my e90 320i with base audio. I installed a pair of focals, audio system ax08 underseats and cheap pioneer speakers as my rears. The sub was a FI IB3 15" mounted on a piece of woof together with my amps and DSP in my trunk. Since I am going back home over the summer, might as well take them back to the US with me for my car. The setup has a pioneer 4ch 1000w(max, not RMS) for the front and rear, a 4ch bridged for the underseats, a 600w RMS amp for the sub, and a joying HU connected to an optical-USB DAC, to a cadence DSP. Sounds fantastic. I've never, till now heard anything better, and we have a pro recording studio at the college!
That said, here is the plan:
PAC SWI-CP5 for the steering wheel control
Any 7.1 sound card
My 3 amps and another one for the speakers
Focals up front, tweeter is already in the center speaker, the ax-08 underseats, and the IB3 15" in the trunk.
I will be using android auto as my front end software, with spotify for sound and waze/maps for navigation. Sounds perfect, but I have no idea how to tune and time align for the center channel. I must have 4 dsp presets:
window closed, driver focused
window open, driver focused
window closed, all passengers
window open, all passengers.
If anybody has any suggestion, let me know. Otherwise, feel free to sub. The build should start soon.

Last edited by Ishj; 04-08-2019 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
Ali-E90378.50
      04-06-2019, 01:11 PM   #2
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Intrigued! Still get great use from my surface pro 4, but would love to see how well it could work in this manner!
      04-08-2019, 01:43 PM   #3
Ishj
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I've yet to understand the proper way to tune a surround system in a car environment though. If its just me listening, my instinct says time align all the drivers. However, with passengers in the car, do I time align pairs of speakers at the centre? I'm thinking one VST would be generating a 5.1 sound and another would do the EQ and TA.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 04:36 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

DSP

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384218
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1383653
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1381697
p

The above is some parts or a 14 part series on dsp tuning

I don't see how you can tune a logic 7 bmw system since its a closed
box ala apple stuff.
Best way to have a tune able system is to rip out the Logic 7 amp and start
over.
If you use the speaker outs running into a dsp/amp then its whatever that is.

https://technicpnp.com/product/logic...-applications/

Most music is still recorded in stereo . (the last time I looked)

Last edited by ctuna; 04-08-2019 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 05:20 PM   #5
Ishj
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
DSP

I don't see how you can tune a logic 7 bmw system since its a closed
box ala apple stuff.
Best way to have a tune able system is to rip out the Logic 7 amp and start
over.
If you use the speaker outs running into a dsp/amp then its whatever that is.

https://technicpnp.com/product/logic...-applications/

Most music is still recorded in stereo . (the last time I looked)
I'm actually thinking of bypassing the entire head unit with the surface. Sound comes from the surface which acts as the DSP AND can output the full 10 channels(FR,FL,UR,Ul,Center,RR,RL,DeckR,DeckL,Sub)
Doing this avoids using a most-digital adapter and the alpine H800, saves me >$1500. As a college student, this is quite a lot of money.
The center channel is the troublemaker here. I know how tune a traditional stereo system like in the video. I did it in my previous car. As for surround, I have no idea.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 02:48 AM   #6
Ishj
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Update: My current setup in my '08 e90

Everything is coming with me to the US, including the focal coaxials, and ax-08 underseats. Im not sure if its better to use the stock L7 underseats and door speakers with separate tweeters than these ones...
One of the pioneer amps will be replaced by a pair of Rockford Fosgate R400-4D with the other one being used for either the underseats or rear speakers, and the big digital subwoofer amp will remain.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf imagetopdf.pdf (1.93 MB, 111 views)
Appreciate 0