E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Resynchronizing FOB with DME

06-02-2019, 09:54 AM   #1
RuinE90d
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Sport 6MT

Resynchronizing FOB with DME

I've searched and searched but can't seem to find the right info. 2006 330i no Comfort Access

About 6M ago I replaced my passenger door with one from a donor vehicle. Instantly my door locks started acting up: the passenger door would not respond to the FOB. I found a video on YouTube that showed how to resync the DME and FOB which fixed the issue (I can no longer find it). I am not great at coding/INPA/EDIABAS (but I have the cable and can follow instructions).

That worked until I happened to experience a dead battery. Now the issue is back, the car won't unlock at all with FOB. I can't unlock any door but the driver as it only unlocks with the manual key. The other passenger doors won't respond to the central locking system button at all. The drivers door will lock back with the FOB.

I suspect part of my issue is the locking mechanism/actuator within the passenger door... Maybe the donor door system is pulling excessive voltage or something. I could replace that actuator with the part out of the original door, but not sure I won't still need to resync the DME to the FOB. Thought I'd post here and see if anyone knows the right sequence to resync the FOB and DME using Tool32 or one of the other INPA tools.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuinE90d View Post
...2006 330i no Comfort Access. About 6M ago I replaced my passenger door with one from a donor vehicle. Instantly my door locks started acting up: the passenger door would not respond to the FOB. I found a video on YouTube that showed how to resync the DME and FOB which fixed the issue (I can no longer find it). I am not great at coding/INPA/EDIABAS (but I have the cable and can follow instructions).

That worked until I happened to experience a dead battery. [WHAT caused dead battery?] Now the issue is back, the car won't unlock at all with FOB. I can't unlock any door but the driver as it only unlocks with the manual key. The other passenger doors won't respond to the central locking system button at all. The drivers door will lock back with the FOB. [I presume you mean NO door (including Driver Door) will lock/unlock per Dash Button, OR with Remote Fob, so you use manual key to lock/unlock Driver Door]
ONE of us does NOT understand how the Central Locking System works, and how the Remote Key "Fob" works.

Since the Dashboard "Centerlock Button" at the Hazard Warning Switch will NOT operate the doorlocks, the issue is NOT the remote, as that button's operation of the locks, just like the manual key operation of driver door lock plunger, is completely independent of the Radio Wave from the Remote Key Fob (which is received by the "Aerial Diversity" which signals the CAS Module).

QUESTION: If you turn the Manual key (gently) counter-clockwise about 60 degrees until resistance is felt, and hold it there for ~ 3 seconds, do the windows open?

If the ONLY thing that changed about your car was the Driver Door replaced in its entirety, as long as the Donor car had the same electronic features as YOUR car (NON-CA & LIN_BUS mirrors, or NOT) then I'm NOT aware of anything that would need "coding." If you are still using the SAME Remote Key Fob(s), then nothing should need "initialization" as far as either remote is concerned, and as stated above, the Remote Key has NOTHING to do with Central Locking by dash button.

BTW, the Fob communicates with the Aerial Diversity Module which is just above & forward of the rear window glass, and connects to the CAS, so the DME (Engine Control Module) has NOTHING to do with the Fob operation or locking & Unlocking (unless you have an alarm system with engine immobilizer).

My suggestion is that NOW is a good time to install BMW Standard Tools, which includes INPA, and I can walk you through how to read Fault Codes in ALL modules using "Functional Jobs", and to connect to the CAS or JBE if needed to get any Fault Code Definitions, and perform other tests. Also, INPA will allow you to test switches (Inputs to CAS, FRM or JBE). There are THREE (3) different Electronic Modules which are utilized by the Central Locking System: CAS, JBE & FRM, and any of those may have Fault Codes saved which will assist in finding the cause of the issue.

First Step I would suggest is identifying WHAT is causing the Dashboard Central Locking Button NOT to activate door locks, Lock/Unlock, and the first thing to do in that procedure is to identify any fuse(s) in the Power Supply circuit.

Here are the pertinent TIS circuit diagrams for the Central Locking System, Inputs & Outputs/Drives:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...inputs/g1pN2ri
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...tlputs/oNpIFch

Note that the Dashboard Button (Input) and the doorlocks (Outputs/Drives) are ALL connected to the JBE (A4010a), and there are TWO 15A fuses, F56 & F57 which supply power to the JBE and relays related to lock function:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...lim/1VnXA3e9zN
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...lim/1VnXN4txMA

You can click on any BLUE Component ID# and get more information, such as Installation Location of F56:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...lim/1VnYdZZNsj

Please check out the fuses, let us know results & we'll do "next steps"

George
Appreciate 2
      06-02-2019, 08:32 PM   #3
RuinE90d
Private
Rep

Thanks for the detailed response George.

The battery died due to DRLs being left on by mistake.

The windows will roll down when the manual key is inserted in the door. They will also roll down by holding the unlock button on the FOB.

Both fuses 56 & 57 are intact.

I believe I have the standard BMW tools software pack on my computer (but could use an update as mine can't be configured to English). I will try to find the links and update the software this evening.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 11:24 AM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I believe I have the standard BMW tools software pack on my computer (but could use an update
as mine can't be configured to English). I will try to find the links and update the software this evening.
Any Version of INPA will do, no matter how much De/En translation it has.
Screens attached showing (1) Functional Jobs select Listbox, (2) Listbox for Selecting CAS & Junction Box (JBBF).

Connect Cable to OBD II Socket, open INPA, Select E90, and first screen attached will appear:
1) Use Tab Key to navigate to Right Listbox & press Down Arrow to highlight "Functional Jobs" -- Press Enter;
2) Functional Jobs Main Menu (Hauptmenu) opens; Select F4, Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher); Select F1, Read Fault Memory, ALL MODULES;
3) Save that Screen (actually TWO computer screens if scroll down) using Shft+PrtSc, Paste to Paint; SaveAs jpg file to attach to post here;
4) If either JBBF (JBE or Junction Box Module) or CAS shows fault codes, you need to connect to each of those Modules (separately) & get code Definitions.
5) Connect to CAS: go back to opening screen (first attached), Down Arrow to Body/Karosserie, Tab to Right Listbox, Down Arrow to CAS, Enter;
6) At CAS Main Menu, Select F4, Fault Memory, then F1, Read Fault Memory; SaveAs jpg & attach here; do same for F4 > F3, InfoMemory (Infospeicher).
7) Connect to "Junction Box": at opening screen, Body/Karosserie, Tab to Right Listbox, Arrow down to "Junction Box Passenger", press Enter;
8) As in (6) Select F4 > F1, SaveAs jpg; Select F4 > F3, SaveAs jpg; attach those jpg image files (Fault Memory & InfoMemory) to post here, w/Functional Jobs Screen(s).

Most versions of INPA have NOT been fully (or correctly ;-) translated from De>En, so attach screens here for help & use Google Translate:
https://translate.google.com/#view=h...te&sl=de&tl=en

George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 06:52 PM   #5
RuinE90d
Private
Rep

I went out to attempt your instructions and took another look at fuse 56 & 57. I was wrong before, the 20A fuse in slot 57 was blown. I replaced the 20A with a 15A and started the car. Locks are back in working order! Many apologies for wasting your time and willingness to help. I really appreciate it George!

Is there a test to see which component is causing the fuse to blow?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 09:38 AM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
...the 20A fuse in slot 57 was blown. I replaced the 20A with a 15A and started the car. Locks are back in working order!...Is there a test to see which component is causing the fuse to blow?
I would just get TWO 20A fuses, install ONE and hope there was either something wrong with the fuse or that there was a "one-off" issue that won't recur, and address it IF it does.

I would also test at each door for the "feel" of each lock plunger "Lock" function and the first interior door handle pull "Unlock" function, and make a note of any door that seems to require more effort. Generally, a blown fuse can either be due to a wiring fault, a motor fault, or a mechanical condition presenting too much resistance to movement, requiring MORE current to operate the motor than normal. An intermittent blown fuse suggests the latter. If you had NOT used one or more of the locks for a time BEFORE the fuse blew (such as you only lock/unlock the driver door on most occasions), that enhances the likelihood of a mechanical issue from lack of use.

Rear Door Windows & Locks which are seldom used should be "exercised" every 3 to 6 months.

The TIS circuit diagram does NOT show exactly which functions of the locking system are powered by fuse F57, and which (if any) are powered by F56. You might try pulling F56 and see if any part of the system (such as the REAR door locks does NOT function). That might give a clue as to which locks are powered via F57.

Diagnosing an issue with your vehicle, AND using Diagnostic Software, SHOULD be viewed as a "Learning Experience" and even the Pros make mistakes when they get in a hurry, forget to think, or ASSume something without proper testing. Those of us who are NOT pros need to "double-check" everything, or the likelihood is HIGH that something was overlooked or NOT properly evaluated.

So I would hope you got the chance to learn a bit more about INPA out of all this, as well as how valuable using TIS circuit diagrams can be.

George
Appreciate 1