E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Which Scan Tool? Buying '08 328i Coupe 6MT

06-12-2019, 05:08 AM   #1
FLYIN4D
In The Lane Next To You
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i 6MT Coupe

Arrow Which Scan Tool? Buying '08 328i Coupe 6MT

Hello. I am looking for information regarding which scan tool to buy so that I can check for codes/cleared codes prior to purchasing the car from a private owner, and before I pay for a PPI.

Is there a universal tool for use on BMWs, or will I need to purchase a scan tool specifically designed for BMW's only? If so, which one (model), how much and where can I buy it?

Thanks!
      06-12-2019, 08:39 AM   #2
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

I have BimmerGeeks' Protool. It only works on Android, but it can do diagnostic and coding.

I bought their bluetooth adapter because I wanted convenience and portability.

Last edited by gamesfrager; 06-13-2019 at 01:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 04:07 PM   #3
Desi501
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

You can't beat Autel products for the price

Last edited by Desi501; 06-12-2019 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 01:28 AM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Say's the guy that just Bricked his car with that product.

Bimmergeeks cable for 45 bucks and factory and engineering
programs for your time to download and setup.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 11:38 AM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN4D View Post
Hello. I am looking for information regarding which scan tool to buy so that I can check for codes/cleared codes prior to purchasing the car from a private owner, and before I pay for a PPI.

Is there a universal tool for use on BMWs, or will I need to purchase a scan tool specifically designed for BMW's only? If so, which one (model), how much and where can I buy it? Thanks!
Since you stated this "motto" at the end of your post"
"Any Fool Can Know, The Point Is To Understand"
It depends upon what you already Know/Understand about BMW E9x Electronic Modules, what information is saved in Module Memory, and what information can be read from Parameters or PIDs that may be helpful to assessing the health of various systems in a prospective BMW purchase.

Most shops offering a PPI of an E9x may NOT even understand that properly. Suggest you pay for 5 minutes of the time of the best "Diagnostic Tech" at the shop you are considering to do that PPI, and have him explain what can be learned from reading Fault Codes, History Memory (Historyspeicher), monitoring PIDs, or other testing via the computer.

For example, with INPA on a Laptop, and a K+DCAN cable to connect Laptop to OBD II socket, in ~ 2 minutes you (a skilled tech ;-) can use "Functional Jobs" to read ALL Fault Codes saved in any of the ~ 20 Electronic Control Modules in the vehicle. You can then connect to any Module that has Fault Codes saved, and get more specific information such as Fault Code Definition, Freeze Frame Data (snapshot of mileage/conditions at time fault was saved in Module Memory), monitor PIDs, even do Activations if appropriate.

Generally, UNLESS you already know & understand how the BMW E9x Modules work, what software can access relevant information, and how to use that software, it is NOT feasible to get up to speed on that to assess the status of systems in a prospective purchase, when you may find something else more to your liking. Further complicating matters is the fact that much of the BEST engineering diagnostic software is in German (INPA), requiring translation of some terminology using Google Translate or equivalent.

If you DO IN FACT purchase an E9x BMW, then INPA (included in BMW Standard Tools) or ISTA are the Professional Choice for diagnostic software. All you need is a Windows 10 Laptop, a $45 K+DCAN cable to connect your Laptop USB port to the vehicle OBD II Socket, and free software download, all linked in this BimmerGeeks page (Store & Downloads):
https://www.bimmergeeks.net/

As your "motto" indicates, you already appreciate the fact that it takes Time, Effort, and Commitment to really Learn, Know or Understand anything. That is particularly true of learning the capabilities of BMW diagnostic software, and how to use it.

I try to do everything myself (when appropriate), but "a man's gotta know his limitations."

George
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 11:47 AM   #6
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

And that's exactly why I went with Protool.
True it's way more expensive than the free software you can download.
You can get Protool and their K+DCAN cable instead of the bluetooth module.

No software to fiddle with Windows XP, no laptop to haul around along with its charger.

You do get BMW specific fault codes, mileage when it happened and if it throws a warning lamp/dash light or not

You can't do flashing, but as they say; you get all functionality of NCS expert on your Android device.

It's up to you and how far you want to take it.
I'm not an affiliate or anything with BimmerGeeks.
I just really like the ease and power it provided me.
I don't need to flash modules....yet
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #7
FLYIN4D
In The Lane Next To You
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i 6MT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Since you stated this "motto" at the end of your post"
"Any Fool Can Know, The Point Is To Understand"
It depends upon what you already Know/Understand about BMW E9x Electronic Modules, what information is saved in Module Memory, and what information can be read from Parameters or PIDs that may be helpful to assessing the health of various systems in a prospective BMW purchase.

Most shops offering a PPI of an E9x may NOT even understand that properly. Suggest you pay for 5 minutes of the time of the best "Diagnostic Tech" at the shop you are considering to do that PPI, and have him explain what can be learned from reading Fault Codes, History Memory (Historyspeicher), monitoring PIDs, or other testing via the computer.

For example, with INPA on a Laptop, and a K+DCAN cable to connect Laptop to OBD II socket, in ~ 2 minutes you (a skilled tech ;-) can use "Functional Jobs" to read ALL Fault Codes saved in any of the ~ 20 Electronic Control Modules in the vehicle. You can then connect to any Module that has Fault Codes saved, and get more specific information such as Fault Code Definition, Freeze Frame Data (snapshot of mileage/conditions at time fault was saved in Module Memory), monitor PIDs, even do Activations if appropriate.

Generally, UNLESS you already know & understand how the BMW E9x Modules work, what software can access relevant information, and how to use that software, it is NOT feasible to get up to speed on that to assess the status of systems in a prospective purchase, when you may find something else more to your liking. Further complicating matters is the fact that much of the BEST engineering diagnostic software is in German (INPA), requiring translation of some terminology using Google Translate or equivalent.

If you DO IN FACT purchase an E9x BMW, then INPA (included in BMW Standard Tools) or ISTA are the Professional Choice for diagnostic software. All you need is a Windows 10 Laptop, a $45 K+DCAN cable to connect your Laptop USB port to the vehicle OBD II Socket, and free software download, all linked in this BimmerGeeks page (Store & Downloads):
https://www.bimmergeeks.net/

As your "motto" indicates, you already appreciate the fact that it takes Time, Effort, and Commitment to really Learn, Know or Understand anything. That is particularly true of learning the capabilities of BMW diagnostic software, and how to use it.

I try to do everything myself (when appropriate), but "a man's gotta know his limitations."

George
LOL! George and others who's posted. Thank you! You brought a new perspective and clarity to what it is I am really looking for to use. I didn't understand, really. So thank you for taking the time to educate me a bit.

I'm looking for the following:

1. Tool to help me diagnose the problem if my dash lights up indicating a potential problem.

2. Something that is basic to tell me what fault codes were present at one time prior to being cleared, when they were thrown via particular mileage and if it lit up the dash with a warning light, etc.

I don't have an android phone. I have an iPhone.
      06-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN4D View Post
...I'm looking for the following:

1. Tool to help me diagnose the problem if my dash lights up indicating a potential problem.

2. Something that is basic to tell me what fault codes were present at one time prior to being cleared, when they were thrown via particular mileage and if it lit up the dash with a warning light, etc.

I don't have an android phone. I have an iPhone.
INPA will do BOTH 1 & 2. I'm NOT aware of anything else that will, but there may be something.

ANY cheap, generic P-code reader (~$30 from Amazon) will give you MOST of the codes that are saved in the DME (Engine ECU) if an engine-related warning light comes on, or has been on and is NOW off. It will allow you to read common Parameters or PIDs in real time, and also give you Freeze Frame Data related to MOST DME Fault Codes. It will NOT give you Fault Codes related to ABS/ DSC (Dynamic Stability Control), Automatic Transmission (EGS) or other modules.

INPA will allow you to read any Fault Codes saved in ANY of the ~ 20 Modules in your vehicle in ~ 2 minutes, just using "Functional Jobs." You can then connect to any module (such as the DME) that has a Fault Code present, and get Code Definition, Freeze Frame Data or Details on the fault(s). You can then monitor Parameters or PIDs (using F5, Status) to assess the cause of the Fault, or even do "Activations" (using F6, Steuern) to test operation of electric motors, such as fuel pump, coolant pump, radiator fan, window motors, locks, etc.

I'm NOT aware of anything other than INPA (perhaps ISTA?) that allows you to read "Historyspeicher" or Memory History -- old fault codes and the mileage at which they were saved and other details. Using INPA, you can read "Historyspeicher" in BOTH the DME and the Automatic Transmission Control Module (EGS). When I bought my 2007 328xi at 10-years-old, neither Module had "Historyspeicher" cleared, but someone could do it very simply to prevent a tech or subsequent owner from seeing the history. Just press "Historyspeicher Loschen" to Clear Memory History. I would be VERY suspicious of the prior maintenance history of the vehicle IF Historyspeicher had been cleared.

The DME & EGS have 3 levels of "fault memory": (1) Fehlerspeicher, (2) Infospeicher, & (3) Historyspeicher. Each of those levels is cleared SEPARATELY, so that clearing "Fehlerspeicher" or Fault Memory does NOT clear Historyspeicher. Some of the other Modules have BOTH Fehlerspeicher & Infospeicher (but NOT Historyspeicher).

IF you have, or are SURE you are going to get, an E9x BMW, AND you have enough technical/ engineering background to understand how various systems in the vehicle work, INPA is hard to beat for doing BOTH (1) & (2). If you have a Windows 10 Laptop (or get a used one on Craigslist for <$200) you can get the BimmerGeeks K+DCAN cable for $45, download (FREE) dealer-level software from MEGA, via a link on the BimmerGeeks site:
1) BMW Standard Tools which includes INPA;
2) Rheingold which is ISTA.

Whatever you decide to do, there is NO FREE LUNCH. Even though INPA is the probably the best solution to do what you want, much of it is in German and it takes time/ commitment to learn how to use it. There is NO English User Manual that identifies all the Functions of which it is capable and how to use them. However, there are some people who can help you with various functions in various Modules, and you can just learn what you need to do a particular thing.

George
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 11:58 AM   #9
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Here's a ScreenPrint from the "Historyspeicher" on my 2007 328xi.
ALL faults listed in the history were saved BEFORE I purchased it, except cyl. 1 misfire.
ALL faults listed in the history were NOT present when I purchased or READ Historyspeicher.

(32) "Fehler momentan nicht vorhanden" = Fault NOT currently present

(49) "Fehler wuerde das Aufleuchten der Warnlampe (MIL) verursachen" =
Fault DOES cause Warning Lamp to light
(48) "Fehler verursacht kein Aufleuchten der Warnlampe (MIL)
Fault does NOT cause Warning Lamp to light
"Einspritzung wird abgeschaltet" = Injection is switched off
Fuel injector on cyl 1 shut down to prevent fuel damage to Cat.
That is just a temporary condition that causes SES & rough running for ~ 1 minute.
SES goes out and normal operation returns in ~ 1 minute if just drive moderately.
That is the case when enlarged plug gap on old plugs is causing misfire; YMMV.

You see why Google Translate is helpful.
Many of the German terms are repetitive, such as Fault NOW/NOT present.

I doubt MOST E9x owners even KNOW this information is there for the reading.

In my case, the Misfire code recurred AFTER I bought vehicle.
Changing plugs (gaps had enlarged with time) was all that was needed.

George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 01:36 PM   #10
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Ista D not that much harder to install once standard tools
is installed all in English adds guided trouble shooting a
searchable data base and as much info as the shop manual
or tis site. maybe not as uptodate as the online tis but plenty
uptodate for a car that has been out of production since 2012.

When you do a full scan in Ista D it pulls up all stored error codes
on the modules it can read it also tells you which modules it
can't read assuming it can read the VO.

Only for diagnostics pretty much
You need standard tools for deeper level programing
and module recovery .

Last edited by ctuna; 06-16-2019 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0