E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > E92 - 325i - Intake Value Issue (UK)

06-17-2019, 03:40 AM   #1
Tejsingh
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

E92 - 325i - Intake Value Issue (UK)

Hi all,

Fairly new to this forum, have posted in the the regional UK forum but was advised to post in here too. Below is my initial thread:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1621705

Long story short if you don't want to trawl through my initial post: I have a 2006 325i E92 and am based in the UK. I had an issue one day with a really rough idle and drive, took it to the mechanic and got some misfire codes on cylinder 4. I am not much of a mechanic but always willing to learn so I changed the following after some research:

- Cylinder 4 Spark plug
- Cylinder 4 Coil
- Cylinder 4 Injector

Still no difference - managed to get a friend to do a quick and dirty compression test on that cylinder and it came back as Zero - dead. So instead of paying a garage to investigate further (was quoted a minimum of £1000 - max unknown until issue was found) I decided to look into it myself.

I removed the valve cover and inspected the engine. Found that on cylinder 4, on the intake side, the intermediate lever had come loose and the retainer spring arm had popped out and was grinding against the cam. I managed to put it all back into place but when turning the cam I could see that the valve spring was not moving. The intermediate lever movement was a bit juddery and not smooth like the others - the valve was clearly not moving.

So I managed to get hold of some tools and removed the intake valve spring without removing the cams. I fed rope into the cylinder through the spark plug, rotated the cam until it was snug against the valve and removed the spring. I also removed the intake valve stem seal. Both the spring and the seal look ok - don't seem to be damaged or cracked in anyway. I was hoping it'd be a cracked spring but not the case.

I lowered the piston slightly by turning the cam but the valve doesn't seem to move at all. I was trying to push it in a little but seems stuck. I'm tempted to give it more of a hit with a rubber hammer/mallet - does anyone see any issues with doing this?

Seems to me that it is probably a bent valve, meaning I'd have to take the head off to replace. Willing to try this but was keen to avoid!

Does anyone have any other ideas on what else to try?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0