E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i vs M3 (sad...)

11-29-2007, 11:36 AM   #23
MrRipfrog
Another
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
this thread alone has almost convinced me not to tune.
Don't let it Fraggy, the pros outweigh the cons in my opinion. This has not happened to me that often and most likely it's because I am not keeping up with the maintenance of the car properly. Tuning the car creates more demands and like Shiv mentioned, a clogged air filter could very well be the culprit.

Regardless, they are great cars to drive. Enjoy!
      11-29-2007, 11:39 AM   #24
f30er
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85

Garage List
wait, chevron is bad??? how come no one told me this before!!! i've been getting nothing BUT chevron since i got my car!! damn, now i gotta find a shell or 76 that has a touchless car wash.....
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #25
Tuned335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambino View Post
I run 95 oct in germany and get limp mode with an extra person sometimes, or when i hit speed limiter..
LOL!!! Must be nice to have no speed limits on some highways...
      11-29-2007, 11:46 AM   #26
Tuned335i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRipfrog View Post
Don't let it Fraggy, the pros outweigh the cons in my opinion. This has not happened to me that often and most likely it's because I am not keeping up with the maintenance of the car properly. Tuning the car creates more demands and like Shiv mentioned, a clogged air filter could very well be the culprit.

Regardless, they are great cars to drive. Enjoy!
Better if less people tune. Less cars on the road who can run as fast as me...

Apart from the boost target problem (resolved with the v1.47LBT map), crappy gas is the biggest problem and it seems to be widespread across the Western/Southwestern USA. My single limp mode the day after V1 install was due to bad fuel. You only lose a few HP at the top end of the rpm range with it, so just load it up and don't worry. I realize that not everyone has access to 100 octane race gas at the pump or is willing to spend the extra cash to mix it in, but it's really nice to have 95 octane in the tank and be able to run without concern for limp modes...and DAMN is is fast!!!

PROcede V2.0.1 FTW!!!
      11-29-2007, 12:04 PM   #27
bmwzimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by zameergill View Post
wait, chevron is bad??? how come no one told me this before!!! i've been getting nothing BUT chevron since i got my car!! damn, now i gotta find a shell or 76 that has a touchless car wash.....
Chevron uses an oxygenated blend vs. Shell and 76 which uses Ethanol Blend during the winter in California. If you are running chevron 93, you are fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 12:11 PM   #28
MrRipfrog
Another
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwzimmer View Post
Chevron uses an oxygenated blend vs. Shell and 76 which uses Ethanol Blend during the winter in California. If you are running chevron 93, you are fine.
I wish we had 93 out here in CA...
      11-29-2007, 12:20 PM   #29
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

yeah and isn't 93 better for the environment...why doesn't cali have 93? is it cause of the quatiity of people? i don't get it if they are sooo damn environmental why not have 93?

dammit this is what i am afraid of with piggy backs i don't get why this limp mode cannot be deleted...do you have the extra oil cooler in the wheel well?

oh and shiv what happened to the warranty you said you'd give me? that was a couple weeks ago what gives?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 12:24 PM   #30
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
oh and shiv what happened to the warranty you said you'd give me? that was a couple weeks ago what gives?
huh? I've made jokes about adding warranties a la Dinan by raising prices by 200%. Sorry if i sounded too serious
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 12:40 PM   #31
MrRipfrog
Another
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yeah and isn't 93 better for the environment...why doesn't cali have 93? is it cause of the quatiity of people? i don't get it if they are sooo damn environmental why not have 93?
Trust me, this state and the "headshed" has me completely baffled sometimes.

Quote:
dammit this is what i am afraid of with piggy backs i don't get why this limp mode cannot be deleted...do you have the extra oil cooler in the wheel well?
I do have the extra oil cooler installed. I'm an October 06 build and had to have it installed. My dealership was cool with it and installed it no probs...
      11-29-2007, 01:02 PM   #32
Evo8MRto335I
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: can't list them all

Quote:
So this evening on the way home from the girl's parents house, we were making our way on the freeway when I creep up on an M3 and get beside him. I notice the shiny red light of his radar detector. (press dts, slip to DS)

Not many people on the road except two people herding in the center two lanes which are coming up fairly quick. I goose it and get over in the number 4 lane (farthest left) and get a good 5 or 6 car lengths. Then I notice he shoots around to the right in the number 1 lane and I know its game on...

Wait a minute.... NNNNnnnnnnoooooooooo......

Limp mode... engine malfunction...

Running Procede 1.47. I had just filled up with a new tank of gas and I can assume the change in gas could have caused this... Just Chevron pump 91.

So, he goes flying past me and I just slip into speed limit mode and a polite bow. Crap! I could tell he was like WTF? I should have asked him if it was ok to pull over while I restart my car. When it runs, it's strong. But dang... always at the time you want it. o'well...

Sorry, had to vent.

Can't wait for V2.
Uhmm, interesting.. I have V1.47 and I drove the car hard during the 115 degree summer in Tucson at 3100 ft elevation. I never had a single issue to overheating nor limp mode. I even hot lapped the car at the dragstrip up to 18 times (over and over) and still bulletproof.

Liek you said, it must be perhaps the gas or something, so far I am bless with the V1.47, no issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 01:03 PM   #33
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwzimmer View Post
Ethanol is added to oxygenate the fuel. I believe all CA gas has to be oxygenated one way or another.

They used to use MTBE - until it was found in Lake Tahoe.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 01:05 PM   #34
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Nah, it's actually worse for the environment. More likely to not achieve complete burn and also the main ingredient in gasoline to increase octane is toluene - which makes your kids develop a few extra eyes.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 01:09 PM   #35
MrRipfrog
Another
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo8MRto335I View Post
Uhmm, interesting.. I have V1.47 and I drove the car hard during the 115 degree summer in Tucson at 3100 ft elevation. I never had a single issue to overheating nor limp mode. I even hot lapped the car at the dragstrip up to 18 times (over and over) and still bulletproof.

Liek you said, it must be perhaps the gas or something, so far I am bless with the V1.47, no issues.
Hey Evo, are you running the standard 1.47 map or are you using the LBT map?

Good to hear your car is solid!
      11-29-2007, 01:11 PM   #36
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

WHAT! i'm switching from chevron now. i've only been using chevron for the past year on my car. i havne't had a single fill up anywhere else. now you're tleling me 76 is better haha. well here i go...

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 01:51 PM   #37
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
that would seriously fuck me off. How many times do you Procede guys get ''limp''?
      11-29-2007, 02:10 PM   #38
MrRipfrog
Another
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
that would seriously fuck me off. How many times do you Procede guys get ''limp''?
I have only gotten the "limp" mode 4 or 5 times total and it usually happens when I change gas. I rememer getting a couple after filling up on pump gas after using a tank of mix (5 gallons of 100 and the rest 91).

Or like Shiv mentioned earlier, maybe the air filter gets clogged.

I have been using the Procede since about February of this year.

Sucks though because when you want it and it's not there..... just frustrating.
      11-29-2007, 02:22 PM   #39
Tuned335i
Major
Rep

Quote:
PROcede V1, once, the day after install when the ECU was adapting and I had crappy 91 octane Phoenix gas (ours comes from California, so that explains a lot). This was running the default V1.47 map.

PROcede V2, never. Running default V2.0.1 map

I always run a mix which gives me at least 93 octane. I was planning to go to the dragstrip tomorrow (which looks like it will be rained out now) and I have a 95+ octane mix in the tank right now.

If I do have a problem, it's not going to be because of low octane. That's one factor I can control...
      11-29-2007, 03:19 PM   #40
Evo8MRto335I
Captain
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Hey Evo, are you running the standard 1.47 map or are you using the LBT map?

Good to hear your car is solid!
Thanks!... I honestly don't know which one I have, I know is a V1.47 but I don't know about the LBT map. Regardless, the car runs fast, I am very happy with the results.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 03:20 PM   #41
Evo8MRto335I
Captain
Spain
Rep

Quote:
None for me.
Appreciate 0