E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Deep OBD and Carly for BMW cannot reach ECU's

05-13-2020, 06:15 AM   #1
noah.s
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport

Deep OBD and Carly for BMW cannot reach ECU's

Hey guys so I just bought a 2011 335i. I have been using Deep OBD and Carly for BMW on a tablet with a K+DCAN cable on my 2006 330i for a long time. Works fine. However, I'm struggling on the new car.

They will both connect to the 2011 335i, but when I try to scan codes it doesn't work. Carly says "No ECUs found!" and Deep OBD gives me a similar error about being unable to read. So on to the cable, it's a K+DCAN with a white circuit board. It doesn't look like pins 7+8 are bridged. I'm going to try and get some tools running on a laptop and try and figure things out that way but I'm thinking my issue is the cable. Any suggestions on a cable for my car? I'm thinking about getting the Bimmergeeks cable either way but if I could get this one working in the meantime that would be awesome!

Thanks in advance for the help!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 11:25 PM   #2
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Any tuning device, like a JB4, must be disabled before you get proper OBD2 communication.

Are you sure the car does not have one?

Also check the pins in the port. Some people have discovered pins pushed in or back causing issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 06:10 AM   #3
noah.s
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
Any tuning device, like a JB4, must be disabled before you get proper OBD2 communication.

Are you sure the car does not have one?

Also check the pins in the port. Some people have discovered pins pushed in or back causing issues.
Thanks for the help! I was told it was stock, looks totally stock to me and I don’t see a JB4, but I can’t be sure if there’s a flash tune! Will definitely check the pins today. A regular OBDII reader does work if that matters at all. Also got INPA installed on an old laptop yesterday. It does read ignition/battery status but when I can for codes also cannot reach ECUs. Will definitely check out the pins today.

I do have a Bimmergeeks cable on the way but you’re making me wonder if a tune is the real issue here. If it’s not a JB4, say MHD or PPK, how would I be able to tell? Car isn’t registered or anything yet so I can’t take it out of the neighborhood.

Last edited by noah.s; 05-14-2020 at 06:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 10:44 AM   #4
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah.s View Post
Thanks for the help! I was told it was stock, looks totally stock to me and I don’t see a JB4, but I can’t be sure if there’s a flash tune! Will definitely check the pins today. A regular OBDII reader does work if that matters at all. Also got INPA installed on an old laptop yesterday. It does read ignition/battery status but when I can for codes also cannot reach ECUs. Will definitely check out the pins today.

I do have a Bimmergeeks cable on the way but you’re making me wonder if a tune is the real issue here. If it’s not a JB4, say MHD or PPK, how would I be able to tell? Car isn’t registered or anything yet so I can’t take it out of the neighborhood.
A flash tune will not affect your ability to read ECU's, only a piggy back like a JB4.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 03:56 PM   #5
noah.s
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
A flash tune will not affect your ability to read ECU's, only a piggy back like a JB4.
Good to know! So definitely no JB4. No sign of one in the engine bay and no steering controls for JB4. So I’m hoping it’s the cable? OBD port pins looked fine, not sure if the exact pinout but every hole that had a pin looked fine. New cable shipped out today so we’ll see if that’s it.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 11:32 AM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
... I just bought a 2011 335i. I have been using Deep OBD and Carly for BMW on a tablet with a K+DCAN cable on my 2006 330i for a long time. Works fine... They will both connect to the 2011 335i, but when I try to scan codes it doesn't work. Carly says "No ECUs found!" and Deep OBD gives me a similar error... So on to the cable, it's a K+DCAN with a white circuit board. It doesn't look like pins 7+8 are bridged... I'm thinking my issue is the cable. Any suggestions on a cable for my car? I'm thinking about getting the Bimmergeeks cable either way but if I could get this one working in the meantime that would be awesome! [Sounds like a PLAN ]
Quote:
A regular OBDII reader does work if that matters at all. Also got INPA installed on an old laptop yesterday. It does read ignition/battery status but when I can for codes also cannot reach ECUs. Will definitely check out the pins today...
Sounds like the cable is Powered (12V+ at pin #16), BUT the cable wiring is NOT correct for the later model's OBD II Socket wiring. I assume the "regular OBD II reader" tests for the Vehicle's protocol & wiring, and is therefore able to connect to the DME. If your old cable has NO slideswitch on the large connector, then pins are probably bridged and there is NOTHING you can easily do to make that cable work.

The BimmerGeeks K+DCAN Cable has a 3-position slide switch which allows it to work on different OBD II Socket wiring schemes. For use on my Late 2007 328xi, that switch should be in the Right-hand position as viewed with Connector pins pointed UP.

Here are the TIS OBD II Socket wiring diagrams for 2011 335xi & 2006 330i, respectively:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...19527/B3juY21u
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...x19527/oMMal4U

As for INPA, the quick way to test Connectivity is to select "Functional Jobs" in the Right-hand Listbox, and then at the Functional Jobs Main Menu, select "F2 Identification". THAT should produce a list of ~ 20 different Modules in your vehicle and show data for EACH. IF no such list, then cable does NOT work properly or is permanently "bridged" in a fashion that does NOT work for later models. BTW, when you DO get the BimmerGeeks Cable, connect to Functional Jobs > F2 Identification and SAVE a ScreenPrint of that "ID" Screen so you know the "SGBD" or Variant of each module, which will allow you to select the PROPER module variant shown in the ListBox. Functional Jobs > F4 Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher) is also a quick way to see Fault Codes in ANY Module. Then connect to a specific Module which has a fault to get detailed information, such as DME > F4 > F3 Fault Memory with Freeze Frame Data. MUUUCH better than Carly.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 12:09 PM   #7
noah.s
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Sounds like the cable is Powered (12V+ at pin #16), BUT the cable wiring is NOT correct for the later model's OBD II Socket wiring. I assume the "regular OBD II reader" tests for the Vehicle's protocol & wiring, and is therefore able to connect to the DME. If your old cable has NO slideswitch on the large connector, then pins are probably bridged and there is NOTHING you can easily do to make that cable work.

The BimmerGeeks K+DCAN Cable has a 3-position slide switch which allows it to work on different OBD II Socket wiring schemes. For use on my Late 2007 328xi, that switch should be in the Right-hand position as viewed with Connector pins pointed UP.

Here are the TIS OBD II Socket wiring diagrams for 2011 335xi & 2006 330i, respectively:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...19527/B3juY21u
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...x19527/oMMal4U

As for INPA, the quick way to test Connectivity is to select "Functional Jobs" in the Right-hand Listbox, and then at the Functional Jobs Main Menu, select "F2 Identification". THAT should produce a list of ~ 20 different Modules in your vehicle and show data for EACH. IF no such list, then cable does NOT work properly or is permanently "bridged" in a fashion that does NOT work for later models. BTW, when you DO get the BimmerGeeks Cable, connect to Functional Jobs > F2 Identification and SAVE a ScreenPrint of that "ID" Screen so you know the "SGBD" or Variant of each module, which will allow you to select the PROPER module variant shown in the ListBox. Functional Jobs > F4 Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher) is also a quick way to see Fault Codes in ANY Module. Then connect to a specific Module which has a fault to get detailed information, such as DME > F4 > F3 Fault Memory with Freeze Frame Data. MUUUCH better than Carly.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Really appreciate all the help! My BimmerGeeks cable is supposed to get here Monday so I’ll definitely give an update when it arrives!

I used to have a setup on my laptop with INPA but the laptop no longer works! Got it installed on a laptop I borrowed though. I’ll go check if the cable will identify any modules with INPA. I like to have Carly working because I keep the tablet in my car just in case, it’s definitely come in handy a few times!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 06:34 PM   #8
noah.s
Lieutenant
Rep

New cable works great! Appreciate all the help!
Appreciate 0