E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Ista install troubles

05-16-2020, 07:15 AM   #1
JWT4700
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Xdrive sedan

Ista install troubles

hey everyone.
so i finally decided to get a laptop (used Panasonic Toughbook CF-30 off ebay Windows 7 PRO 32bit) seems to work great so far, i loaded some dealer software onto it for my semi truck and got that working, now trying to get all the BMW software going but im kinda stuck with ISTA. I got mikes easy bmw tools and that all worked fine except the "Coding Tool" program wouldnt work (error on launch) but INPA seemed to work fine on both my E90 and E46 (other than most stuff was in german (main page was english but almost everything else was german)
So i kept researching and found BimmerGeeks download page and re-installed the BimmerGeeks Standard tools again and this time ALL the programs worked, including the Coding Tool, with a couple extra programs like Gini that werent included in Mikes package. Again, Inpa seemed to work fine with both cars.

I Tried to install ISTA from the BimmerGeeks download page and i keep hitting a snag. The ista pre-install folder has 6 apps to install but the first 3 look like the same app - microsoft visual C++2015 reddistributable (x64) a second one for (x86), and microsoft visual C++2013 redistributable (x86). the first one just tells me setup failed, can only be installed on windows XP SP1 x64. makes sense, im running windows 7 pro 32. the second one says setup failed 0x80240017 - Unspecified error. the third one seems to install fine. the rest of the installs seem to go fine as well as the three registry edits. upon trying to launch ISTA it simply doesnt do anything when you double click the shortcut. if you run it as administrator then the little pop up will show up asking permission to allow the program to make changes, click yes, and nothing happens. can anyone help?
Im still a little new to computer stuff as far as programing and files and such, i have some basic skills but nothing too in-depth...no trouble doing stuff in command prompt and such.

i did have one other issue installing the driver software for the cable for the other program i have, Error 1722, an error with windows installer. after some research and random attempts to fix it, i believe i fixed it by doing a windows restore. but like i said that was the first program i put on that laptop, and all the inpa software and such installed fine after that as well.

Hoping that someone on here could help me get ista up and running.
thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 11:49 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1581663
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 08:53 PM   #3
JWT4700
Private
Rep

so is the problem simply that the 1st file is for the wrong operating system? it looked as if the second one was the same as the first one, just for windows 7 rather than xp. i did everything else in the set up instructions other than having issues with not being able to install the first program.
Attached Images

Last edited by JWT4700; 05-16-2020 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: second screen shot
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 09:55 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

I would never use XP for ista it's not powerful enough.
Many have done Ista with window's 7 to 10.
Also that's a 64 bit file and you have a 32 bit computer.
at least that's what you said.

http://net-informations.com/q/mis/x86.html
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 10:20 PM   #5
JWT4700
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
I would never use XP for ista it's not powerful enough.
Many have done Ista with window's 7 to 10.
Also that's a 64 bit file and you have a 32 bit computer.
at least that's what you said.

http://net-informations.com/q/mis/x86.html
the computer i am using is Windows 7 Pro 32bit

do you know what files should be in the "preinstall" folder?
1) Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) - 14.0.23026
2) Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x86) - 14.0.23026
3)Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable (x86) - 12.0.30501
4) Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 Setup
5) Java Platform SE binary
6) Microsoft Primary Interoperability Assemblies 2007 Setup
7) Registry Entries
8) Registry Entries
9) Registry Entries
10) rheingold-license.txt

what i dont understand is file 1 and 2 are the same program - one is 64bit version and the other is 32bit version. So, my original thought was the download just included one for each operating system and i would download only the correct (32 bit in my case) one. but the error message says it can only be installed on xp or new, which 7 is newer, unless its just a generic error message and it gives because its a 64 bit and not a 32 bit....

thus far i have read everything in the other thread you posted, as gjm120 had mentioned he had downloaded two .net frameworks - i am currently downloading them as well (crazy slow internet at the moment lol). I re-downloaded file #1 from microsofts website but it still gives the error message.

Last edited by JWT4700; 05-16-2020 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 10:51 PM   #6
JWT4700
Private
Rep

well i believe it was in fact the .NET framework. after installing both (plus a needed patch file of some sort for the second one) ISTA finally opens up. i did notice a few things. after copy/paste the license it asked for ISIS information, since that wasnt mentioned i just clicked Finish and it said something about warranty work so im guessing thats not important. upon opening ISTA the screen size doesn't match up with the actual screen, as you can see in the picture i cant see the top tool bar, is there any way to change the size?
lastly, every time i launch Ista it always gives me the popup asking if i want to allow the program ISTAGUI.exe to make changes to the computer - is that normal? aside from that its alteast working so far, ill attempt to connect the car tomorow, do i still need to set up the KDcan cable? i already configured it for INPA, COM1/latency etc....

so aside from not being able to see the top toolbar, so far so good!!! thank you so much!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 03:49 AM   #7
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

To answer some of your questions:

ISTAGUI wants to make changes (yes, because you're probably running in Admin mode). Dont worry about it.

If KDCAN is setup for INPA, then you're probably fine as long as you configured for the same COM port.

For size issues, double click on an empty area of the top bar and it opens it up full screen.

Surprised you got it to work on XP. I had trouble with one of the .NET as it said it couldnt be installed on my operating system. Haven't really had any major troubles with Rheingold on Win10. Now, ISTA-P, that's another story.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 04:42 AM   #8
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

you pretty much have to change the screen resolution(on your pc) to get the full
ista control screen to display every time you use it.
And you will want to use it.
Select tools icon go to last tab select ediabas default setting to run
with K/D can cable.
Attached Images

Last edited by ctuna; 05-17-2020 at 04:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 09:47 AM   #9
JWT4700
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
To answer some of your questions:

ISTAGUI wants to make changes (yes, because you're probably running in Admin mode). Dont worry about it.

If KDCAN is setup for INPA, then you're probably fine as long as you configured for the same COM port.

For size issues, double click on an empty area of the top bar and it opens it up full screen.

Surprised you got it to work on XP. I had trouble with one of the .NET as it said it couldnt be installed on my operating system. Haven't really had any major troubles with Rheingold on Win10. Now, ISTA-P, that's another story.
everything seems to be working fine, changed the setting in ista and the cable worked. i tried the double click again today and it worked (didnt work last night, still getting used to this touchpad/button on this laptop) so thanks for that, it does change it to full screen so you can see the whole menu now.

also i am running windows 7 pro 32. which is what was weird about the error message i was getting. i still never got that first file to install but apparently the issue was one of the missing .net frameworks.

ista seems to be MUCH more user friendly than inpa. messed around with it for an hour or so already, cant wait to get using it to see if i can start fixing some of my electrical issues lol
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 09:52 AM   #10
JWT4700
Private
Rep

Quote:
you pretty much have to change the screen resolution(on your pc) to get the full
ista control screen to display every time you use it.
And you will want to use it.
Select tools icon go to last tab select ediabas default setting to run
with K/D can cable.
i seen that on the other post i was reading so i changed that setting last night,
all is good - working great! I did get it to go full screen too. very cool program so far, very excited to learn how to use it!
thanks again for the help!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 11:22 AM   #11
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

In windows 10 you can go into the ista gui link and set the
property's to always run as admin . i don't recall that in
7 but it's been awhile.
Usually the problem with resolution is you have to use a lower
one to get the whole ista screen to display and have access
to all the tool bars.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 06:24 PM   #12
JWT4700
Private
Rep

Quote:
In windows 10 you can go into the ista gui link and set the
property's to always run as admin . i don't recall that in
7 but it's been awhile.
Usually the problem with resolution is you have to use a lower
one to get the whole ista screen to display and have access
to all the tool bars.
Any idea why ISAT+ wouldn’t work with my E46?
Seems to work fine with my e90, trying to use ISTA on my 05 E46 and I’m getting “Error - the vehicle could not be identified. Please check the access to the vehicle and check whether the testing-analysis-diagnosis has been activated.”
Using a KDcan cable, it’s switch the other way for this car, works fine with inpa just doesn’t seem to recognize it in ISTA.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0