E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > BMW AUC, (Authorised Used Car), Scheme – Tyres

04-27-2021, 11:25 AM   #1
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 35D, F48 X1, M4, 911, 3.2

BMW AUC, (Authorised Used Car), Scheme – Tyres

I am posting this information so that it may help anyone buying a BMW AUC from a BMW Dealer.

Last week I bought an M4 from John Clark in Aberdeen – I live in Winchester and the car was delivered to me by road, driven down to Winchester.

The car had two new Michelin Pilot Sports fitted to the front wheels and 2 Chinese made Jinyu YU63’s fitted to the rear wheels. I discovered this a couple of hours after I had received the vehicle. I was not happy about this so I contacted the Salesman and also emailed BMW HQ.

To summarise the situation, I have had a number of conversations with John Clark in Aberdeen and also with BMW HQ.

1). The AUC Scheme says that if a (used) car is bought in by the Dealership, (e.g. a part exchange), with tyres that are MOT legal then those tyres can stay on the vehicle EVEN if they are NOT * rated and EVEN if they are NOT Approved by BMW........ the Salesman and Sales Manager quoted this to me several times and they appear to be sticking to it.

2). I am told that the cheap Chinese made JINYU YU63 tyres, (which cost about £90 each), were fitted to the M4 when the M4 was taken in as a part ex by the Dealership - I am told that the Dealership did not fit those tyres, the tyres were (presumably) fitted by the previous owner to get the car through it's MOT just before it was traded in.

BMW HQ will not get involved they say that it is between me and the Dealer.
John Clark have offered nothing, they will not change the tyres and will stick to the conditions of the AUC Scheme.

So I have been sold a 450bhp "M car" with Chinese tyres fitted to the rear wheels and this appears to be perfectly acceptable to BMW because the AUC Scheme allows this to happen.

In my opinion this is absolutely crazy and is "criminal", (not in the legal sense), but morally - it is just wrong and an insult to the BMW Brand,

"The Ultimate Driving Machine" a 450bhp M4 with Chinese tyres fitted to the rear driving wheels when sold to me by BMW

I have posted this on a few Forums and will continue to do so.

Last edited by Bluewater335D; 04-27-2021 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 2
x77md82.00
      04-27-2021, 03:31 PM   #2
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

Put it on Twitter, I'm sure BMW will that you are telling the world they sold you a M4 with unsuitable tyres that could turn the car into a death trap.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 04:00 PM   #3
aaronblack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

As above post it everywhere! Even better, if I was you I would make a YouTube video and post the video on forums and Twitter! Not sure about the legal aspect but naming the dealer in a video featuring the M4 will definitely spread the news far quicker.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 04:22 PM   #4
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

I would certainly not be happy with those budget tyres either but I would say in this instance that if they are suitably rated, undamaged, road legal and were fitted to the car when it was brought into BMW stock then you do not have a leg to stand on.

It is an unfortunate consequence of buying a car remotely without seeing it, or more importantly, asking the right questions first. Many people shall have similar issues with the abundance of online car sales companies that appear to be advertising at present.

Caveat emptor!

Still if you can afford to buy and run an M4 you can afford £300 or £400 for some new boots of your choice!
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2021, 02:32 AM   #5
Markos ZimZimma
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F31 335i

Yeah, it's not what you expect after shelling out that kind of outlay from a main dealer but if their T&Cs cover it and there's no goodwill from them then I'd be tempted to move on, 'enjoy' those rear tyres for a few weeks then change them.

Think I'd be equally as uncomfortable about them driving your new P&J from Aberdeen to Winchester... 500 miles on the car plus wear and potential for stonechips. I'd have looked into getting it trailered, but that's a separate issue....
      04-28-2021, 03:04 AM   #6
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for your replies guys - I'm happy with the car apart from the tyres which as far as I am aware goes against the advice of BMW, every Car Manufacturer, Tyre Manufacturer and Motoring Organisation.......... I just wonder what a BMW Dealer would say if I took the car in for service with this combination of tyre fitting......... after all the M4 has a LSD, DSC and other electronic gizmos.

There are a couple of other small points which I would not have questioned had the tyres been acceptable to me.

Of course I can put 2 Michelins on the rear and have a wheel alignment. (the steering wheel is misaligned), and will do this if I have to ........ but that's not the point....... I would hope that bringing this to attention is of some use to future buyers, especially when posted on BMW specific forums.

I am surprised that BMW HQ can accept this and my personal opinion is that the AUC scheme conditions are wrong as far as tyres are concerned.

I bought the car online and it was delivered last Friday - I am told that in accordance with distance selling rules I can reject the car and have 14 days to do this.

The car was driven down overnight by one of their retired ex Directors, I was quite happy about that and the car is the spec that I wanted but did not expect this hassle.

Last edited by Bluewater335D; 04-28-2021 at 03:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 05:49 AM   #7
0l0dom0l0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i

Buying an approved used BMW means absolutely nothing in this day and age. The cars are not checked properly and they just fob any issues off onto the next owner
I expect in this case they will have knocked the cost of replacing those tyres off the previous owners trade in price as well!
The least they could do is offer fitting of two new tyres at cost at a local dealer instead but I am in total agreement that the car should not have been supplied in this state in the first place.

I would threaten to reject the car out of principle because it would cost them more to come and collect the car than it would for them to replace the tyres - just say you want it booked in to your local dealer for fitting of 2 new tyres before the end of next week or you are rejecting it.
Additionally if the car was purchased on finance then I expect you could get them involved as not sure they'd be too pleased - you can also reject through the finance company I believe.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 08:46 AM   #8
Markos ZimZimma
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Rejecting is an option but think of the hassle if it's exactly the spec you want and how long it may take for another to crop up that fits the bill.

AUC is nice but it gets abused by various dealers. I know of some AUCs sold without FBMWSH, when they're supposed to have it. What happens with a warranty claim down the line when Mondial/BMW discover it's not got FBMWSH?
      04-28-2021, 09:10 AM   #9
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos ZimZimma View Post
Rejecting is an option but think of the hassle if it's exactly the spec you want and how long it may take for another to crop up that fits the bill.

AUC is nice but it gets abused by various dealers. I know of some AUCs sold without FBMWSH, when they're supposed to have it. What happens with a warranty claim down the line when Mondial/BMW discover it's not got FBMWSH?
I agree, looking around and visiting car dealerships is just a pain - the car has a Full BMW Service history - it's on the iDrive

I do value the 12 months warranty, that's why I went to a Dealer and not private, plus it can be extended each year.

Private buyers also seem to want the same money as Dealers

I paid cash for the car and didn't really haggle at all - just wanted free delivery to Winchester.

Just off to have the car put up on ramps so that it can be inspected

So if the Dealer does not move - I just have to bite the bullet and sort the tyres and 4 wheel alignment out myself ....... I can reject and call their bluff, but!!!

Last edited by Bluewater335D; 04-28-2021 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 03:19 AM   #10
Markos ZimZimma
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater335D View Post
I agree, looking around and visiting car dealerships is just a pain - the car has a Full BMW Service history - it's on the iDrive

I do value the 12 months warranty, that's why I went to a Dealer and not private, plus it can be extended each year.

Private buyers also seem to want the same money as Dealers

I paid cash for the car and didn't really haggle at all - just wanted free delivery to Winchester.

Just off to have the car put up on ramps so that it can be inspected

So if the Dealer does not move - I just have to bite the bullet and sort the tyres and 4 wheel alignment out myself ....... I can reject and call their bluff, but!!!
Keep us posted on the ramp inspection and overall outcome! And I think we need some pics...
      04-29-2021, 04:19 AM   #11
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep

If you're happy with the car and like it, I think the u should just take it on the chin and buy a new set of rear tyres for it. Compared to the cost of the car it's no real big deal is it. If you had bought privately then you would have just changed them anyway wouldn't you.

Get some new boots and just enjoy your new toy, sometimes life's too short to get tangled up in a fruitless dispute.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2021, 06:16 AM   #12
Karlos20945
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 320d SE

Garage List
2010 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
If you're happy with the car and like it, I think the u should just take it on the chin and buy a new set of rear tyres for it. Compared to the cost of the car it's no real big deal is it. If you had bought privately then you would have just changed them anyway wouldn't you.

Get some new boots and just enjoy your new toy, sometimes life's too short to get tangled up in a fruitless dispute.
I agree with this. Enjoy wearing out the Jinyus with some "handling practice" before binning them for Michelins. Not worth rejecting the car for.
      04-30-2021, 05:32 AM   #13
noname1
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 335i dct

I bought my e92 335i as bmw approved used and they fitted brand new oem bridgestone tyres before I collected it (I replaced them for PS4S within 2 weeks but that's irrelevant) - I have found that any work carried out by bmw is fully dependant on the specific dealership, it has taken me 3 attempts to find one somewhat locally to me that carries out work to a decent standard and genuinely cares about customer care. Completely unimpressed by most 'large scale' bmw franchises.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 02:22 PM   #14
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep

an interesting video for you guys to watch

go to 4 mins which is relevant to my concern

Appreciate 1
      05-02-2021, 04:11 AM   #15
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep

The video above summed it up at the end.

At the end of the day it's legal to put crap tyres on a car even an M car, as selling the tyres is legal in the UK. While they are crap quality they will be manufactured to a BS standard. All the dealer wants to do is turn maximum profit so they are under no obligation to change the tyres for a premium tyre.

This is where viewing the car before hand and bartering few a replacement pair of tyres as part of the sale is the way to go. OP did you go the view the car before you purchased it?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 05:56 PM   #16
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

To be honest, with the current situation many franchise dealers of various marques have dropped their standards. I recently came across an approved used Volvo with no Volvo dealer service history. Yet it is being retailed as an approved Volvo.

There has been a significant increase in car demand and this is shown by the prices cars are currently going for in the UK. Decent cars are getting snapped up quickly and ropey ones are even getting snapped up. Basically anything sells so dealers are not worried.

If I were in your shoes and you have a decent car otherwise, I'd just take it on the chin and remember to check on this the next time you buy a car. Take it as a learning. In the meantime practice with the Jinyu's and replace them as soon as possible.
Appreciate 0