E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Performing your own new car prep

Closed Thread

09-26-2007, 02:24 AM   #67
NoKids
Major
Rep
Drives: ...

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
god damn i love this website.
      10-18-2007, 01:54 PM   #68
aviador
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
I am going to add/edit this list according to my preferences.

Any automotive clay of your choice. Meguiar's, Mothers, Pinnacle, Wolfgang, they all pretty much do the same thing.

I agree, any fine grade clay will do.

Rags – Microfiber, microfiber, microfiber. www.poorboysworld.com has all the ones you'll need. Also, get a sheepskin mitt, at least two. Brand doesn't usually matter. You also need a towel to dry your car. Waffle weave works well, as does a towel called the Absorber.

Again, agree. I personally use microfiber waffle weaves to dry. I use 16x16 microfiber for everything else. I dislike the absorber *personally* because it requires dragging. I get all my mf's from www.detailedimage.com

Polish – Picus recommended some good ones. I use Poor Boy's World Polish and EX Sealant. Zaino is what the rest of the forum seems to prefer.

A little addendum here. Polishing = compounding. Zaino Z2/Z5 are no polishes (though they are labeled as such), they are sealants. You will not need a real polish on a brand new car (hopefully). Polishes are to remove scratches.

That leads me to sealants/waxes. I'd just go with a sealant. Honestly, 90% of the cars I do now I don't bother with a wax. Sealants look as good, lasts much longer, and are as easy to use. I use Zaino Z5pro on my car.

Also, I agree on Poorboys wheel sealant.

Here is the list of stuff *I* use when prepping a new car.

one bucket with grit gaurd
one bottle meguiars deep crystal
3-5 sheepskin mitts
2x microfiber waffle weave towels
one bar of fine grade clay
either menzerna final polish II (if there are some light scratches), or some jeffs werkstatt prime (chemical cleaner)
Zaino Z5pro or Werkstatt Acrylic Jett Trigger

Inside:
A Vacuum
Scotchgard
Zaino Z9/Z10
Aerospace 303

If you have any other questions let us know.
With the Z5pro. How long does it last and how often do you seal. I picked up my car from fealer 2 days ago, they did do the prep but I want to start taking care of it on my own.
Thanks
Jack
      10-18-2007, 02:30 PM   #69
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

I usually get 5 months out of Z5pro easily, more if I maintain it with Z8. I seal my car twice a year, and wax occassionally in the summer for added bling. I seal in the spring and fall.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #70
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-series View Post
Picus, I got the clay bar + lubricant per your advice. I have a question regarding wax/sealant and some other newbie concerns.

1) I have never used a clay bar before. I have a jet black. Is there anyway i might mess up my paint job? Anything i should watch for? Also, can i just clay portions of the car as needed?

2) After clay'ing the car, i plan on applying one layer of Klasse AIO and then one layer of Klasse SG. Was wondering how long should i wait in between applying the AIO and the SG?

3) How often should this process be repeated? 6 mo? 12 mo?

4) In between claying, can i apply another layer of AIO on top of the old SG and then seal with a new SG? or so i have to clay first to clean the previous applications and start from scratch...

thanks a lot!
Sorry for the delay guys, not even see how I missed these. Anyway, might be too late but here goes.

1) You can clay as needed, you want to use a lot of lubrication and go light on the pressure, but no, if you use common sense you won't mess anything up.

2) You don't need to wait at all, just wait 24 hours in between layers of KSG if you go that route.

3) 6 months max, some guys get more but I like to play it safe. I usually do March then November, with some spray sealing/waxing in between.

4) AIO is a chemical cleaner, it will remove any sealant (including KSG) when you use it. So only clay when you need to remove contamination, otherwise AIO will strip previous layers itself.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 02:33 PM   #71
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxtor View Post
I picked up my 335i sedan in early May and had the Picus new car prep done (car is Monaco Blue over Lemon). Looked fantastic. I now hand wash only.

Car doesn't bead up much any more after hand wash.

I am now thinking of picking up a Zaino package of products Z-2, Z5, Z9, Z10 etc. (since everyone on the forum seems to think it is the best).

Will these products be ok on top of your new car prep?

Do I need to Dawn wash and clay first?

Will I need a PC buffer or can I do it by hand?

Many thanks.
I'd dawn wash just because the Zaino instructions call for it and one time won't hurt. Z2/Z5 are great sealants, use them interchangeably until you find a combo you like. Just remember the zfx if layering. You can do it all by hand, but I do recommend having a PC around, saves time and is good to have if you need it later.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #72
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjones View Post
Picus, you suggest not drying the car after washing, and even suggest keeping it damp with the hose. Do you suggest this simply as a time-saving step, because you're then moving on to claying the car, and the car will become damp with the lubricant spray?

Hmm, but the last half of the car (or even more) will surely be dry by the time you get to claying it, especially on a new car. And then one runs the risk of water spots if the water isn't soft.

Can you elaborate a bit on your reason for this? Thank you.
If you're in the shade it shouldn't dry, especially if you keep it wet. I do do this as a time saving step, so if you want to dry go for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 01:17 PM   #73
aviador
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
I usually get 5 months out of Z5pro easily, more if I maintain it with Z8. I seal my car twice a year, and wax occasionally in the summer for added baling. I seal in the spring and fall.
You say you wax occasionally. Do you mind me asking what kind of wax you use?
Thanks
      10-29-2007, 10:30 AM   #74
JustDee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi cp

Picking up car this weekend

I'm finally picking up my car this weekend and wanted to clear bra it right away. But I'm also going to be doing my own car prep. The installer asked that I not Zaino the car until after the clear bra install, but I didn't want to have dust and debris and rail dust under the clear bra. Any suggestions? Can't he just take off the polish with IPA? Or should I wash and clay the entire car, and only seal and polish the no bra'd area?
      11-11-2007, 10:16 PM   #75
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviador View Post
You say you wax occasionally. Do you mind me asking what kind of wax you use?
Thanks
I have quite a few. On my own car I use Zymol Vintage. For the average car owner I would recommend something like Pinnacle Souveran, or if that's too expensive, maybe some P21S.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 10:17 PM   #76
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDee View Post
I'm finally picking up my car this weekend and wanted to clear bra it right away. But I'm also going to be doing my own car prep. The installer asked that I not Zaino the car until after the clear bra install, but I didn't want to have dust and debris and rail dust under the clear bra. Any suggestions? Can't he just take off the polish with IPA? Or should I wash and clay the entire car, and only seal and polish the no bra'd area?
I'd prep the car and let him IPA it. To be honest, more and more clear bra guys are asking for sealants/waxes to be left on, it helps them move the bra around and doesn't hurt adhesion. But ya, let him alcohol it off.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #77
4-series
The best BMW ever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Sorry for the delay guys, not even see how I missed these. Anyway, might be too late but here goes.

1) You can clay as needed, you want to use a lot of lubrication and go light on the pressure, but no, if you use common sense you won't mess anything up.

2) You don't need to wait at all, just wait 24 hours in between layers of KSG if you go that route.

3) 6 months max, some guys get more but I like to play it safe. I usually do March then November, with some spray sealing/waxing in between.

4) AIO is a chemical cleaner, it will remove any sealant (including KSG) when you use it. So only clay when you need to remove contamination, otherwise AIO will strip previous layers itself.

Thanks Picus for the answers!
      12-17-2007, 05:08 PM   #78
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Poor Boys Natty's is a great carnuba (Natty's blue for dark colors), really close in appearance to Souvergn at a fraction of the price
      12-25-2007, 09:40 PM   #79
garyc242
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335i e92

I'm will be using Zaino on an '08 Space Grey 335i. Should I use Z2-pro or Z5-pro, or Z2-pro then followed by Z5-pro? Would using one versus another give a slightly different color tone? Also, do I need to use Zaino AIO prior to using Z2 or Z5?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 12:08 AM   #80
faze335i
Kimber in da Trunk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Question New Car Prep.

Hello Picus. I'm very new to detailing and new to car prep... This is going to be my first bmw and new car prep so I might not understand few things, so here it goes.
I'll be getting a Black Sapphire 3 series coupe with Coral Red interior.
-After I get my car, I would wash the car with Sheepskin Wash Mitt then I don't dry it and use Clay so is the lubricant the water from the car or it's a lubricant I have to use that comes with the clay? and what type of lubricant?
-Would I need to Polish the car even tho it's New of the lot? - (In most cases a light polish (Final Polish II, ZPC, etc) will do. Wipe down the car with a 50/50 solution of isopropyl alcohol and water (iso alcohol is regular 70% off the shelf rubbing alcohol). Put it in a spray bottle, spray a panel and remove. This is to remove any polish residue.) - is it required to do this process or after 6month pass into the new car then go through the process?
-Also light Polish every time I would Sealant or is it once every 6month?
-What is Chemical Cleaner? I have no clue what this is and I would do this every time I polish or light polish the car?
-I'm heading toward all ZAINO product so if you can recommend all Zaino so I know which to order if not, recommend something you preferred or better product than Zaino.
-Finally Seal or Wax, if I were to go Seal route with Zaino or which ever that's top notch would it hurt the car if I were to Sealant it more than 2x a year or more than the length you said every 6month cut into every 3month?
-also do you use the Sealant on the windows too? and after would I need to clean it with Window cleaner to get rid of Sealant on the Window area?
-Scotchgard is that carpet protection or stain resistant type? I don't know what it is.
-With leather Zaino Z9/Z10 pretty simple right just spray and rub then 2nd microfiber cloths to buff the wetness out of the leather then done? So I can use Z9/Z10 for dash, doors, trim, plastic, and rubber with no problems?
-You said before you prep car you use ZPC, AIO, or Prime before sealing,
what are those? is it polishing items or something I must do before Sealing for New Prep Car and after Detailing process that I must do everytime?

Once again I am very new to this so sorry for all the question but your the the BEST so help me out
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #81
norwesterman
Rep
Drives: 335 08/SGry/prem/sport/cold/ca

Thanks Picus for such a thorough explanation.

Of 1) Zaino Z5pro on dark colors or 2) Jeffs Werkstatt Acrylic Jett (or trigger version) on light colors, which would you recommend for Space Gray Metallic? And if Z5pro is the recommend, do I undertand we'd go from AIO directly to Z5 as final, without any of the other Zaino products in between?

I currently have Sparkling Graphite Metallic, which I AIO then use their Klasse SG Glaze Sealant. This has required waxing after to get good deep shine. Do you fine this is the nature of SG, and wouldn't be necessary with one of the two above?

The Sparkling Graphite is about to go in favor of new being built with Space Gray, so trying to prepare...

Thanks, Norwesterman
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 10:56 PM   #82
hollandjean
JD/MBA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E71 2015 F36

thanks for da info..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #83
BMWagain
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F11 535i 2011

Garage List
2011 535iA  [0.00]
2009 BMW K1300S  [0.00]
2009 335iA Touring  [0.00]
2009 335iA Touring  [0.00]
2007 325iT  [0.00]
2007 325iT  [0.00]
2007 325i  [0.00]
2007 325iT  [0.00]
Interesting.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #84
ede92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Cab 7MT

I used Zymol for 15 years on many new cars and switched to Zaino last year. I have to say the Zaino protects longer based on the water beading on the car.

The shine is also very good although I think the Zymol makes the metallic pop a bit more when first applied.
      01-10-2009, 02:47 AM   #85
d2_unit
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i Coupe

hi Guys,

IM picking up my car in a few weeks and am still unclear on a few points....When i pick the car up it will already be polished....do i bring it home and:

1. wash it
2. clay it
3. seal it...

does it need another polish before it is sealed?

sorry for the silly question, i just want to make sure i get it right...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #86
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2_unit View Post
hi Guys,

IM picking up my car in a few weeks and am still unclear on a few points....When i pick the car up it will already be polished....do i bring it home and:

1. wash it
2. clay it
3. seal it...

does it need another polish before it is sealed?

sorry for the silly question, i just want to make sure i get it right...
Sorry for the late reply. Polish is sort of a misnomer; some people use it to describe abrasive compounding (usually as a reference to light compounding) and some people use it to describe sealing paint. If your car doesn't have swirls/imperfections you will not need an abrasive. Abrasives are the only aspect of detailing that is really for aesthetics only (for the most part); no damage, don't remove paint. So a wash, clay, and seal is probably sufficient. If you do have some marring you can lightly polish it away. Alternatively you could use a chemical cleaner after the clay/before sealing (which I like to do) to further clean the paint, make it even more smooth, and add some base protection for your sealant. There are a lot of good chemical cleaners - Klasse All In One, P21S gloss enhancing polish, Jeffs Werkstatt Prime, etc...

But for cliffs notes; no, you don't need to polish unless you have marring.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #87
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ede92 View Post
I used Zymol for 15 years on many new cars and switched to Zaino last year. I have to say the Zaino protects longer based on the water beading on the car.

The shine is also very good although I think the Zymol makes the metallic pop a bit more when first applied.
I think most people would agree with you. Zymol products are waxes. Zaino products are synthetic. Generally speaking synthetic products will be more durable when all other things are equal. This is why a lot of people put down a synthetic then top it with a wax (if they like the look of a wax).
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #88
ede92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Cab 7MT

I just took delivery of a new Mazda 3 and asked the dealer to use Zaino Z-AIO as the final step. Came out looking great and didn't left a finger...

And a footnote on Zaino longevity - my Black Sapphire Bimmer is still beading strong after a rough winter here in the NE. Did it back in October.
Closed Thread