E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

06-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #7943
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Thoughts on this E30 log? The boost seems unusually aggressive in this particular example, the overshoots I can dial out in ATR if that's the only cause. This is a fairly "noisy" E30 log for me, most of my recent logs have been pretty spot on. This pull didn't cause a misfire or any codes, just doesn't seem totally dialed in.
Attached Files
File Type: txt E30 Log.csv.txt (8.3 KB, 115 views)

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #7944
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Thoughts on this E30 log? The boost seems unusually aggressive in this particular example, the overshoots I can dial out in ATR if that's the only cause. This is a fairly "noisy" E30 log for me, most of my recent logs have been pretty spot on. This pull didn't cause a misfire or any codes, just doesn't seem totally dialed in.
Yeah, you're about 1psi over target boost at peak. Like you said, that's something you can dial out. With the hot ambient temps don't be surprised to see boost being held higher than what you were seeing back in the cold weather, as long as you're slightly under target then you are where the DME wants it.

As far as timing corrections go, anytime you are running an aggressive map you will see occasional corrections. It's just how it goes. If the worst you see is one or two cylinders make a 3.xx then you're absolutely fine.

In the summer months it kind of becomes an unfortunate choice between trying to maintain the same level of performance or just backing off a little bit to make life easier on the turbos. For a DD map in the summer on meth I usually run a tune with peak boost of about 15psi holding 12.5psi to redline running a timing curve similar to what the E30 map runs, it definitely doesn't have the same kick in the ass torque 18psi does but the timing helps to make the car feel responsive and lively. In all honesty i'm probably overly cautious about turbo life(especially since I've already decided to pick up some hybrid turbos) but that's just how I am.
      06-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #7945
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

That all makes sense, thanks for the detailed response. I'm coming to the realization that meth is going to be a necessary part of my plans due to the charge temp issue, there's really no way around that even if the E85 is holding down in-cylinder temps. So at the very least, the cooling that meth will provide should make the car happier when it gets hot and humid out. There's no reason I should be surprised by this, I was just experimenting with how much E85 could compensate for those issues on meth-less cars. I pulled that log this afternoon, anyone in the area knows it was a muggy day. Even as a DD this car doesn't see WOT more than 2-3 times a week, so i'm not too concerned about aggressive peak boost since it won't be seeing it that often. OK off to ATR thanks again

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #7946
M3E46M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i E92 6 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
just log lpfp pressure, afr and stft. if pressure drops below 50-40 and you lean out than your lpfp cannot push enough fuel to the hpfp . All this things should be known BEFORE starting to experiment...
Hey checked LPFP and shows ~72 so i guess thats good.

.../// TURBO! Why in the world would you choose anything else?... ///
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #7947
loweredram
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3

E85

Just ran e85 for the first time with Cobb OTS E30 map......holy crap now I know what all the talk is about. I couldn't believe it. I'm for sure going to invest in some better tires. The evo 12's are good but even heated up and with my LSD the tires aren't hooking up to well on boost. A lot of my buddies run the michilen PSS so ill try those. I don't have E85 to close to me but had to make an out of town trip and mapped a station on the way. Switching the map with the cobb was easy and quick. I've heard people say it takes a while but I started the switch while I was topping off with 91 by the time I was done cobb was done. Anyway just had to tell you guys switching to cobb has been the best mod so far I've done. Gonna due some data logging to make sure the car is doing well. I've read here that guys run more than 30% is there much more power running A higher % or should I just pro tune with 30?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #7948
Florida650iGC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by loweredram View Post
Just ran e85 for the first time with Cobb OTS E30 map......holy crap now I know what all the talk is about. I couldn't believe it. I'm for sure going to invest in some better tires. The evo 12's are good but even heated up and with my LSD the tires aren't hooking up to well on boost. A lot of my buddies run the michilen PSS so ill try those. I don't have E85 to close to me but had to make an out of town trip and mapped a station on the way. Switching the map with the cobb was easy and quick. I've heard people say it takes a while but I started the switch while I was topping off with 91 by the time I was done cobb was done. Anyway just had to tell you guys switching to cobb has been the best mod so far I've done. Gonna due some data logging to make sure the car is doing well. I've read here that guys run more than 30% is there much more power running A higher % or should I just pro tune with 30?

Thanks
IMHO going over 30% would be pointless w/o a custom tune.

By the way mine just threw some fuel pump codes running about E27... I would not go over E30 w/o an LPFP upgrade... Although I know some on here are running like E40/E50 on the stock pumps... Myself I hate CEL's though
      06-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #7949
loweredram
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335XI///M View Post
IMHO going over 30% would be pointless w/o a custom tune.

By the way mine just threw some fuel pump codes running about E27... I would not go over E30 w/o an LPFP upgrade... Although I know some on here are running like E40/E50 on the stock pumps... Myself I hate CEL's though
Thanks, that's the input I was looking for. I really don't want to upgrade the pump so I will stick to E30 and pro tune. Knock on wood I've been driving most of the day with E30 pretty spirited no cel. I have to get some logs in so I can check the lpfp. I believe it's not supposed to drop below 50psi at any point.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #7950
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Quote:
According to a response I got from them while I was still deciding the 5" requires no cutting, and the 7" does require a little trimming.

In case you missed my helix FMIC review a few pages ago I dont suggest that one.

If I had it to do over again I would probably get this:

http://www.wagner-tuning.com/BMW-335i-Upgrade-Intercooler-Kit_p_10.html

The Wagner Tuning BMW 335i Intercooler Evolution Kit is a high performance redesign of the original OEM intercooler designed specifically for the BMW Tuning Enthusiast.

Our engineers have increased the intercooler core size and efficiency, as well as improved the end tank design to remove any OEM bottlenecks, resulting in increased flow rating and charge cooling properties.

Constructed of the highest quality Bar and Plate intercooler cores combined with cast aluminum and then CNC end tanks for reliable high performance air to air charge cooling.OEM+ Fit and finish for easy installation.The Wagner Tuning BMW 335i Intercooler Upgrade Kit features:

High-performance 520mm x 210mm x 150mm 13,572 cm� flow rate stepped Intercooler Core vs. OEM 510mm x 130mm x 110mm 7293cm� flow rate
CAD / FEM optimized cast aluminum end tanks
OEM Mounting Points
85% more intercooler face area vs. OEM
90% larger air flow vs. OEM
Simple Installation

Kit comes with:

Intercooler black
Inlet Siliconhose , HD
Outlet Siliconehose
Aluminum Adapter IC-Intake
1 Set 12mm Stainless Steell Norma Clamps

I read that is the evo2 which takes more cutting them evo1. Pictures even suggested more to cut when there's none left. Search Wagner evo2.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #7951
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, that's the input I was looking for. I really don't want to upgrade the pump so I will stick to E30 and pro tune. Knock on wood I've been driving most of the day with E30 pretty spirited no cel. I have to get some logs in so I can check the lpfp. I believe it's not supposed to drop below 50psi at any point.
If the fueling hardware is in good shape you should be able to support e30 without any modifications. LPFP PSI will probably be clipping 50 midrange, but it's not bad enough to drag down HPFP PSI and max trims. But yea, log to make sure all of the above is true for your car. The motor loves e85, thats for sure.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #7952
Florida650iGC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It took over 6 weeks for mine to finally throw a code.... When it did it was at the most inappropriate time... Passing 4 cars & a 18 wheeler in an oncoming lane in 1 pass on about a 600 mile road trip... Luckily it didnt throw me into limp till after the pass was over! But the CEL came on around 6k rpm in like 4th... Which leads me to believe it's been fine, except for maybe above 6k which has been mentioned before in here I believe.

Last edited by Florida650iGC; 06-17-2013 at 08:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #7953
Florida650iGC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticc View Post
I read that is the evo2 which takes more cutting them evo1. Pictures even suggested more to cut when there's none left. Search Wagner evo2.

Chris
Maybe so, but the lower IC cool pipe actually looks like it's reasonalbly designed, unlike the helix which does not seal to the stock CP for a shit as I found out the hard way this weekend...

I am damn lucky I had my AP with me when I was doing that road trip. Was able to pull over, check and clear the codes, reflash to map 0 (Due to the F***ING BOOST LEAK FROM THE STUPID HELIX SHIT HARD PIPE WHICH DOES NOT SEAL TO THE STOCK CP). One of the Codes said "Fuel Pump, plausible" The other said Boost Leak. Sure enough leak is coming from the POS (non existent really) seal between stock CP and their J pipe. Stock has a fat rubber o ring in there, Helix has nothing.... Jeez I wonder why it leaks...

And NO I don't want to put a CP on it yet because i am still under CPO and already pushing that envelope far enough.

Also the tabs on it look like they would properly locate it, and also it holds the bottom of the rad fan in place.

Even if it requires a shit load of cutting I'd still rather have it for all those reasons than the helix. Helix ended up not being "No Cutting" anyways...

Now I am literally going to have to try to fix this with "The Right Stuff" and hope it holds the next 9 months or so of CPO till i can throw on the 09+ long ER one with a BOV.

Unless anyone else has a better idea than "The right stuff". It's a small leak, but enough to throw a CEL on map 1+S. Right stuff is supposed to be good up to 450* continuous operation temp, and resistant to oil.
      06-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #7954
loweredram
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It took over 6 weeks for mine to finally throw a code.... When it did it was at the most inappropriate time... Passing 4 cars & a 18 wheeler in an oncoming lane in 1 pass on about a 600 mile road trip... Luckily it didnt throw me into limp till after the pass was over! But the CEL came on around 6k rpm in like 4th... Which leads me to believe it's been fine, except for maybe above 6k which has been mentioned before in here I believe.

Was that six weeks straight of running E30 blend? From what i've read to date people were suggesting alternating (cycling) E85 with gas to clean out the system every so often.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 12:04 AM   #7955
Florida650iGC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Was that six weeks straight of running E30 blend? From what i've read to date people were suggesting alternating (cycling) E85 with gas to clean out the system every so often.
I've been running more like E25 but yea. I had it a little hotter than my usual blend when it happened. Been running just 91 since, mostly because of the boost leak and being on stage 0 though
      06-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #7956
loweredram
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've been running more like E25 but yea. I had it a little hotter than my usual blend when it happened. Been running just 91 since, mostly because of the boost leak and being on stage 0 though
Ok, we're you just using E85 as an octane bump for 91? I was going to try that next so I could run stage 2 +fmic aggresive using 2.5/13.5 to get me 93 octane.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #7957
Florida650iGC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, we're you just using E85 as an octane bump for 91? I was going to try that next so I could run stage 2 +fmic aggresive using 2.5/13.5 to get me 93 octane.
Exactly, the AZ 91 is somehow extra crappier than normal 91. So I've been mixing 3 gal per tank of E85 to get me just over 93 octane.

The car LOVES the mix, other than the fuel pump that it. You can definitely feel crisper throttle response with the blend. If we had 93 here I'd just run that, but no such luck in the SW.
      06-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #7958
SS e93
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 M3

Is there any negative to buying a used COBB AP? Other than user wear which would be cosmetic, is there anything that you don't get with a used one that you get new?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #7959
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by icyhot e92 View Post
Is there any negative to buying a used COBB AP? Other than user wear which would be cosmetic, is there anything that you don't get with a used one that you get new?
I haven't heard of any bad used COBB AP. Check the sticker on the back to see if it has been removed and or the screws have been tampered with. And as long as the seller has uninstalled aka unmarried the AP from his car.

check the cable and the connection to the AP.

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #7960
loweredram
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Exactly, the AZ 91 is somehow extra crappier than normal 91. So I've been mixing 3 gal per tank of E85 to get me just over 93 octane.

The car LOVES the mix, other than the fuel pump that it. You can definitely feel crisper throttle response with the blend. If we had 93 here I'd just run that, but no such luck in the SW.
I'm in the same situation ca 91 octane. As soon as I get done with the E30 high that I'm on right now Ill try E25-E20 with stage 2 + Fmic aggressive and see how the car does. Man I wish there were more E85 stations around .
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #7961
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
I'm in the same situation ca 91 octane. As soon as I get done with the E30 high that I'm on right now Ill try E25-E20 with stage 2 + Fmic aggressive and see how the car does. Man I wish there were more E85 stations around .
What part of Ca? In the Sac Valley we have several. And yes, E25 might just do it with ACN 91 for S2+. Log trims so you are not going near or oner 34.

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #7962
loweredram
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
What part of Ca? In the Sac Valley we have several. And yes, E25 might just do it with ACN 91 for S2+. Log trims so you are not going near or oner 34.
SoCal the nearest station to me that I've found on the E85 website is 30 miles from me. I thought over the years there would be a lot more. I will definitely log to be sure the car is happy. Didn't understand the last part of your post the 34 comment.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #7963
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 (sold)

Fortunately I live a few minutes from Cobb's tuning facility in Huntington Beach. Unfortunately, they always have a consistent 2-3 week out appointment time. Anyone have dyno proof or other info when they were OTS AP vs pro-tuned? Car runs great as it is right now, hence why I'm not in a rush.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #7964
loweredram
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bimmer View Post
Fortunately I live a few minutes from Cobb's tuning facility in Huntington Beach. Unfortunately, they always have a consistent 2-3 week out appointment time. Anyone have dyno proof or other info when they were OTS AP vs pro-tuned? Car runs great as it is right now, hence why I'm not in a rush.
Man I'm in the same situation. I was going to rush to get a protune at cobb in SoCal . Between the wait and how good the car is running with the OTS maps I was also wondering if I would notice a huge difference.
Appreciate 0