E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Coolant leak. Can't figure out source. Pics inside

11-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
acdHQK713K
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Exclamation Coolant leak. Can't figure out source. Pics inside

I have a decent coolant leak going on right now (1/2 gallon every 2k miles).

Water pump recently replaced.

I looked at all the hoses I could easily see from above and below the car. I can't find a source. There is nothing suspicious around the water pump.

The main accumulation of coolant is to the rear of the water pump near the downpipes and engine mount. I can't see the source which makes me think it is probably going to end up being around the engine supply coolant pipe.

I see there is a DIY for this. Anyone had this replaced by an independent shop? Looks a little more involved than what I am willing to do. I'm worried this is going to be a $500+ repair for a $4 gasket.

You can see coolant accumulating on the oil inlet pipes for the rear turbo (two shorts arrows).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 07:28 PM   #2
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
Here's the best picture I could find when I did my turbos's but anyways..Theirs the obvious coolant lines to/from the turbos. But theirs a gasket that leads from the block to the water pump. Usually that's what leaks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
acdHQK713K
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Tech View Post
Here's the best picture I could find when I did my turbos's but anyways..Theirs the obvious coolant lines to/from the turbos. But theirs a gasket that leads from the block to the water pump. Usually that's what leaks.
Yep that's what I think is leaking. Without anything removed I can't see the source and that is the last potential source left in that area.

Any clue what one might charge or that? I hate removing the downpipes and refuse to do it ever again
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangorang View Post
Yep that's what I think is leaking. Without anything removed I can't see the source and that is the last potential source left in that area.

Any clue what one might charge or that? I hate removing the downpipes and refuse to do it ever again
Removing downpipes on RWD are cake. Once theirs out the way. It should be fairly easy to do. Even better if you'd remove the subframe out of the way
Appreciate 0