E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Wiper Issue

01-29-2023, 09:40 AM   #1
Macpsi
Private
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 m3 6mt

Garage List
1997 Eclipse GST  [0.00]
2002 Lexus IS300  [0.00]
2011 e92 M3  [0.00]
Wiper Issue

I'm at my ends with this wiper issue.
I have replaced the wiper fuse/relay a few times, and they still did not work.
Moved to the motor, and that did not work either, also replaced the relay afterwards still nothing.
Then I checked the wires, and looks whoever did a previous repair smashed the wires in the brace.
So I reconnected the wires and still nothing, then I replaced the relay and the wipers worked... sort of..

Now what I am dealing with is, when I remove the wiper arms and activate the wiper switch I can see the studs where the wiper arms attach are moving. However when I put the wiper arms back on the studs they get stuck and the motor makes like a binding noise.
The wipers are not touching each other.
I removed the driver side arm and the passenger arm works fine, goes back and forth as expected.
Then I put the driver side back on and same issue, wipers stop moving, and motor makes a clicking/binding noise.

At this point, I'm thinking of putting the old motor back on, as I have tested that with the power probe and it works fine. It was the wires all along. Any other suggestions before I go down that route? Sounds like something possibly is up with the linkage to the driver arm causing the motor to bind up. Is there some sort of reset procedure for this? I marked where the arms were before taking them off... And again, they are not touching before the motor binds up. I did try the "service mode" but turning the car to ignition mode turning the car off, then moving the stalk up, even then the motor binds.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 10:37 AM   #2
Macpsi
Private
Rep

Garage List
1997 Eclipse GST  [0.00]
2002 Lexus IS300  [0.00]
2011 e92 M3  [0.00]
Well.. I guess I have resolved this one.. New motor was DOA. Said f it and took the assembly apart and tested the new motor with the power probe without the linkage attached and it moved a little then stopped and clicked.. old motor runs as good as... new
Appreciate 1
Mike K322.00
      01-29-2023, 12:31 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macpsi View Post
Well.. I guess I have resolved this one.. New motor was DOA. Said f it and took the assembly apart and tested the new motor with the power probe without the linkage attached and it moved a little then stopped and clicked.. old motor runs as good as... new
You are NOT the first to deal with "Mech-niks" damaging/pinching/grounding the Wiper wiring at the firewall when replacing the Diagonal Brace between the Strut Tower and Firewall.

Lesson Learned: BEFORE throwing part$: ALWAYS post to Forum with description of ANY fault related to electrical component (here, Wiper Motor), and get wiring diagram and Forum-member analysis.
George
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 07:32 PM   #4
Macpsi
Private
Rep

Garage List
1997 Eclipse GST  [0.00]
2002 Lexus IS300  [0.00]
2011 e92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
You are NOT the first to deal with "Mech-niks" damaging/pinching/grounding the Wiper wiring at the firewall when replacing the Diagonal Brace between the Strut Tower and Firewall.

Lesson Learned: BEFORE throwing part$: ALWAYS post to Forum with description of ANY fault related to electrical component (here, Wiper Motor), and get wiring diagram and Forum-member analysis.
George
oh trust me, I completely scoured the forums for every windshield wiper post I could find. I saw the wires being pinched on a few threads. Definitely a lesson learned on the damn motor though. Waited too long and now can't get a refund from rock auto $130 down the drain. But still saved over taking it somewhere vs fixing it myself.
Appreciate 0