E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Diesel Fuel Additives?

03-22-2017, 11:46 PM   #67
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaddam2 View Post
not a fuel additive, but oil additive (engine treatment) and/or different oil. a co-worker just told me he uses this on his ecoboost mustang. was curious if you additive/chemically inclined people might have heard or had any experience with "Cerma STM-3 for Diesel"

they have one where it is good for 30k miles and you are supposed to change your filter @ regular intervals.

so the real trick claimed with treatment aka additive (not the oil itself) is it takes the dirty oil and when you add the treatment it uses heat and the carbon to make silicon carbide surface on everything so it is no porous.

Novel additive/oil that is out shadowed by "big oil", or snake oil?
For whatever reason I just refuse to use oil additive. Just some subconscious voice telling me no. That said, are they claiming you can go 30k miles between oil changes with only filter changes? I would run far and fast. Oil changes are cheap, and if something goes wrong because your oil is shitty, they repair bill is going to be huge. With regular oil and filter changes with quality oil, you shouldn't have any issues. Same concept applies to fuel additives. As long as it isn't sitting and quality stuff is used, life is good.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #68
aaddam2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqu3 View Post
For whatever reason I just refuse to use oil additive. Just some subconscious voice telling me no. That said, are they claiming you can go 30k miles between oil changes with only filter changes? I would run far and fast. Oil changes are cheap, and if something goes wrong because your oil is shitty, they repair bill is going to be huge. With regular oil and filter changes with quality oil, you shouldn't have any issues. Same concept applies to fuel additives. As long as it isn't sitting and quality stuff is used, life is good.
I feel the same way. but upon my research Liquid Moly has Ceratec which seems to be the same type of deal. and LM is more of a name I trust since they have LM sponsored cars (though that doesnt mean much). I am about to try a bottle of the LM Ceratec in my girlfriends 110k mile turd ford fusion to see if there is any difference.

I currently run kleen in my D now. dont really notice a difference, hoping it would clear up my slightly rougher idle (assuming it is due to CBU).
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 07:26 AM   #69
EvanTheBruce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d Stage 2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaddam2 View Post
not a fuel additive, but oil additive (engine treatment) and/or different oil. a co-worker just told me he uses this on his ecoboost mustang. was curious if you additive/chemically inclined people might have heard or had any experience with "Cerma STM-3 for Diesel"

they have one where it is good for 30k miles and you are supposed to change your filter @ regular intervals.

so the real trick claimed with treatment aka additive (not the oil itself) is it takes the dirty oil and when you add the treatment it uses heat and the carbon to make silicon carbide surface on everything so it is no porous.

Novel additive/oil that is out shadowed by "big oil", or snake oil?
I'm not really big into oil additives, I know someone here was running archoil though and provided oil analysis for it.

I run Precision turbo's HPL 5-30 diesel oil. It's $16 a quart, but I get it for a drastically reduced cost. One of my friends I studied engineering with works at Precision turbo and their shop is 10 minutes from my house. I'll be working on getting oil analysis done and forum discounts once I gauge more interest. I'll have a thread up relatively soon about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 05:09 PM   #70
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2008 MHD'd / x5d E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanTheBruce View Post
I'm not really big into oil additives, I know someone here was running archoil though and provided oil analysis for it.

I run Precision turbo's HPL 5-30 diesel oil. It's $16 a quart, but I get it for a drastically reduced cost. One of my friends I studied engineering with works at Precision turbo and their shop is 10 minutes from my house. I'll be working on getting oil analysis done and forum discounts once I gauge more interest. I'll have a thread up relatively soon about it.
would be curious to see if this is all hoax or real ...

Archoil
Turbo Maxx
bla bla
Mods: 7" VRSF FMIC, Forge DVs, RB PCV, BMS Oil Cooler, VRSF DPs, MHD, JB4g5, OFT DIYs: Walnut blasting : Trans Oil at 45k, w Filter at 65k : Diff Oil Flush @ 45k : WP&TS @ 69k : Alternator @ 79k --- E70d Alphabet Soup del 44.4k : JR Stg2.25 tune : Buzzken Catted Exhaust : Trans fluid drain/ fill (3 Qrts), both Diffs fluids flushed Wheels: Style 95s on PSSs (Sold): AG 359s on S04s : 162s on Blizzaks : Rohana RF1 Matt black
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 09:02 AM   #71
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport Auto

Archoil stuff has always worked for me. Great products and results
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 12:01 AM   #72
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2008 MHD'd / x5d E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_f22 View Post
Archoil stuff has always worked for me. Great products and results
what difference did you feel ?
Mods: 7" VRSF FMIC, Forge DVs, RB PCV, BMS Oil Cooler, VRSF DPs, MHD, JB4g5, OFT DIYs: Walnut blasting : Trans Oil at 45k, w Filter at 65k : Diff Oil Flush @ 45k : WP&TS @ 69k : Alternator @ 79k --- E70d Alphabet Soup del 44.4k : JR Stg2.25 tune : Buzzken Catted Exhaust : Trans fluid drain/ fill (3 Qrts), both Diffs fluids flushed Wheels: Style 95s on PSSs (Sold): AG 359s on S04s : 162s on Blizzaks : Rohana RF1 Matt black
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 11:13 AM   #73
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 335d 10'35D

That video is interesting and not sure how that test relates to use in an internal combustion engine.

I have two personal experiences with Archoil completely fixing a problem that otherwise would have required replacement parts.

First, I had a 2005 Excursion with the 6.0 PSD. I had replaced countless injectors and always had an issue with stiction and experienced difficult cold starts. I tried rev-x, hot shot secrets and countless other fuel and oil additives with no change in the vehicles behavior. I constantly replaced injectors and it'd be OK for a few thousand miles but eventually, the systems always came back. I was at my wits end. I heard about archoil and ordered some. Within the first 45 minutes, the archoil completley cured my PSD of stiction and I never again had a cold start issue, even in sub zero temps in the VT mountains. I put another 70-80k miles on the engine before I sold it. In that time, I never had another stiction or cold start issue.

Second, I picked up a 1995 E34 525i for a turbo project. The M50 engine handles boost exceedingly well. I intended on keeping the engine stock and simply replacing the head bolts with ARP studs one at a time in order to keep the OEM head gasket intact for the build. I was going to use E85, which would benefit from the stock compression ratio. I picked the car up and drove it home, someone had stolen the cat so it was loud. Once I got the car quited down, i realized it had significant lifter noise. I was pretty bummed as I wasn't really motivated to replace the lifters... As a last ditch effort, I threw in some archoil. Within minutes the lifter noise was completely gone. To this day, the lifter noise is still gone.

I have been running archoil in everything... differentials, transfer-case, quads, tractor, diesel and gasoline engines etc. All of my friends now run it in their cars/ trucks too, all with similar results.

I do not doubt the test in the video, just don't know how it translates to effectiveness in an internal combustion engine or differential. An item of note, Archoil is a friction modifier but it also contains detergents that help with lubricating and cleaning tight tolerance areas like injectors and lifters.

I have and will continue to use it.

Last edited by 335dsleeper; 04-11-2017 at 01:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 04:16 PM   #74
totitan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

I add 1/4 oz/gal of Optilube every time I buy fuel. At 98000 miles I have never had to replace a injector or glow plug. Are the two related? Who knows? PL says no way but circumstantial evidence says yes. My original intent was to increase the lubricity which Optilube does. If other benefits occur its a bonus.
2004 Nissan Titan (big brakes, air springs)
1972 240Z (set up for road racing, autox)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #75
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by totitan View Post
I add 1/4 oz/gal of Optilube every time I buy fuel. At 98000 miles I have never had to replace a injector or glow plug. Are the two related? Who knows? PL says no way but circumstantial evidence says yes. My original intent was to increase the lubricity which Optilube does. If other benefits occur its a bonus.
Does fuel affect glow plugs at all? I was under the impression it didn't.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 05:54 PM   #76
totitan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
It stands to reason that cleaner and more complete combustion would be beneficial to glow plug life but since I have not researched the topic its just an assumption.
2004 Nissan Titan (big brakes, air springs)
1972 240Z (set up for road racing, autox)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 05:32 PM   #77
Miko226
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 335d

Quote:
i highly doubt this.

08' n54 135i FBO E85 - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 02:16 PM   #78
N52UNED
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i/330BPC

Although it's not a BMW and may depend on the year of your car .... I was told by a Ford diesel mechanic to use 2-cycle oil every fill up for my Ford F-350 7.3l (I do it every other). Using 2-cycle oil has been written about on diesel truck forums ever since the US switched to low-sulfur highway diesel. I've been running 2-cycle as an additive for about 6 years / 50k miles (haven't been driving it much the past couple of years)

It's said to keep your injectors from burning up. As today's diesel is considered a "dry" diesel compared the a "wet" diesel of yesteryear. I doesn't take much ... I use at least 16 fl oz for a 24 gal fill up (30gal tank). The correct ratio is said to be 1oz of 2-cycle per gal of diesel.

Lots of people state with the addition of the 2-cycle oil they have seen 1-2 mpg gain. Personally I haven't paid much attention to mpg ... it's a big truck it's gonna get crap mpg. However I do notice it runs quieter.

Outside of the 2-Cycle about once a couple month or so I'll add Diesel Kleen instead to clean the injectors a bit.

Last edited by N52UNED; 08-29-2017 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2017, 11:29 AM   #79
aaddam2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 335d M-Sport

useless update: but I am running LM Ceratec in my car for the past 4-5k miles and I dont really notice a difference, i have a couple of track days with it too, so nothing catastrophic happened. i saved a lil bit of my old oil (no additives) and will save a lil bit of this when i change it at approx 7k. I intend on sending it out to blackstone and see if there is any differences in the levels of metals present to see if the additive actually did reduce wear.

update with some data soon to come.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2017, 08:32 PM   #80
330MX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

BG 244. Half a quart in a full tank of gas every 10K miles or so. Just used it recently for the first time and immediately felt the engine running smoother. MPG increase was slight but absolutely a smoother/quieter running engine. Not sold at your local auto parts store but is avail on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/BG244-Diesel-...dp/B00K0WR7VI/
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 02:16 AM   #81
Searcher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport

I am having great success with HotShotsSecret additives. I ran their Extreme Diesel in 1 tank and my sticky injector issue is GONE!!!!!! Love it....I am running the Everyday Diesel Treatment now and like it so much better than LubriMoly or Diesel Kleen....This last tank I went 464 miles and I don’t have a lite foot...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 09:07 PM   #82
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep
Drives: bmw

Just saw a new product at walmart its duralube def cleaner fuel additive and fuel system treatment. Anyone use this yet?

Its got some chemicals in it i have never heard of before. Ill try it and see since i still have my def.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 08:02 PM   #83
KRB_E90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Yes

I use Würth diesel injector cleaner with every fill up. It's cleared up some bad gas issues as I feel the diesel in north jersey is not that great.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 08:46 AM   #84
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRB_E90 View Post
I use Würth diesel injector cleaner with every fill up. It's cleared up some bad gas issues as I feel the diesel in north jersey is not that great.
You run gas in your d? Just kidding. I have had great luck with hot shots diesel extreme, buttery quiet injectors now. Nice to see another local d. I work in Orange cty, NY
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 02:21 PM   #85
Blown284
Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M440 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
I am having great success with HotShotsSecret additives. I ran their Extreme Diesel in 1 tank and my sticky injector issue is GONE!!!!!! Love it....I am running the Everyday Diesel Treatment now and like it so much better than LubriMoly or Diesel Kleen....This last tank I went 464 miles and I don’t have a lite foot...
Can you speak to how or if this worked for the sticky injector issue? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 08:16 AM   #86
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown284 View Post
Can you speak to how or if this worked for the sticky injector issue? Thanks!
Just about everyone on the Facebook group is running this stuff with phenomenal results. We also have an active discount code for Facebook group members.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 08:35 AM   #87
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Just about everyone on the Facebook group is running this stuff with phenomenal results. We also have an active discount code for Facebook group members.
Gee, I get "phenomenal" results running brand name diesel, no aftermarket additives, no waste...

Now at total 650,000 miles on my diesels....

If I did have sticky injectors, I would use an additive which is basically their original purpose.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 10:34 AM   #88
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
Gee, I get "phenomenal" results running brand name diesel, no aftermarket additives, no waste...

Now at total 650,000 miles on my diesels....

If I did have sticky injectors, I would use an additive which is basically their original purpose.
Gee, some of us aren't that fortunate. A lot of places have shit quality diesel, regardless of the pump you go to.

From what I have seen, everyone running the Hot Shot's Secret Diesel Extreme(Here's some info: https://www.hotshotsecret.com/diesel-extreme/) and/or EDT(More info: https://www.hotshotsecret.com/edt-ev...sel-treatment/) see a 2-3mpg increase(I have tested this myself, and can confirm), less smoke on deleted cars(I have tested this myself, and can confirm), more power from the butt dyno(I have tested this myself, and can confirm), and quieter injectors(I have tested this myself, and can confirm). On top of that it has been known to clear injector codes on more than one occasion.

You can say just fuel is good, and sure it's "good enough", but until you try an additive, don't knock it. Or are you scared you'll be satisfied
Appreciate 0