E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Help n54 engine

12-23-2022, 02:32 PM   #1
Kobe335i
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i e93

Help n54 engine

This is my first time using this forum thing so bare with me

I have a 2009 BMW 335i e93 auto used with around 105k miles, Only thing i have seen wrong so far is an oil pan gasket leak. I haven't done anything to the car performance wise, I do plan on in the future but i learned quickly that maintenance is key with these engines That's made me put new oil in the car but i haven't been able to do a full oil change because ive been in college. i was driving around one day and i noticed the car started jerking between 2-3 gears. I chalked it up to the engine being cold and didn't think much of it, then later that day i pressed the gas to pass a car and i went from 2-3 and the car upshifted then it like immediately downshifted then revved to ~6k RPMs then i got a trans malfunction light. After that, the car didn't let me shift to 2nd and i had to pull over. I turned the car off waited a couple of minutes then started it again and everything was fine.

Side note

I saw that this might be a low trans fluid problem and im currently looking into that.
Im not sure if the car has had a change in sparkplugs coil packs etc.

I have a video of the car doing the same thing but im not sure how i upload that here if i can at all

Any help would be appreciated thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 02:27 AM   #2
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe335i View Post
This is my first time using this forum thing so bare with me

I have a 2009 BMW 335i e93 auto used with around 105k miles, Only thing i have seen wrong so far is an oil pan gasket leak. I haven't done anything to the car performance wise, I do plan on in the future but i learned quickly that maintenance is key with these engines That's made me put new oil in the car but i haven't been able to do a full oil change because ive been in college. i was driving around one day and i noticed the car started jerking between 2-3 gears. I chalked it up to the engine being cold and didn't think much of it, then later that day i pressed the gas to pass a car and i went from 2-3 and the car upshifted then it like immediately downshifted then revved to ~6k RPMs then i got a trans malfunction light. After that, the car didn't let me shift to 2nd and i had to pull over. I turned the car off waited a couple of minutes then started it again and everything was fine.

Side note

I saw that this might be a low trans fluid problem and im currently looking into that.
Im not sure if the car has had a change in sparkplugs coil packs etc.

I have a video of the car doing the same thing but im not sure how i upload that here if i can at all

Any help would be appreciated thank you
Full transmission service first, that's Mechatronic Sleeves, seals and solenoids, pan/filter and oil change. Seals/Gaskets are leak points will need changing.
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251669.50
      12-27-2022, 12:36 AM   #3
Kobe335i
Rep

Thanks for the reply,
Im looking to change the trans fluid at home and see if that fixes the problem. But the other stuff might have to be done at a shop, unfortunately. I started the car again to move it and now the car jerks hard moving from 2nd to 3rd gear. its very prominent but the car was cold (it was around 20 degrees Fahrenheit) and it was just casual driving. Do you think that is a fluid issue still or any other problem that pops up

I have a DCI done on the car im not sure if it was installed improperly so im going to recheck that and see if the problem occurs
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 09:50 AM   #4
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Thanks for the reply,
Im looking to change the trans fluid at home and see if that fixes the problem. But the other stuff might have to be done at a shop, unfortunately. I started the car again to move it and now the car jerks hard moving from 2nd to 3rd gear. its very prominent but the car was cold (it was around 20 degrees Fahrenheit) and it was just casual driving. Do you think that is a fluid issue still or any other problem that pops up

I have a DCI done on the car im not sure if it was installed improperly so im going to recheck that and see if the problem occurs
I would have a shop do what was suggested to you. You can't just change the fluid on these cars. The whole pan has to be dropped and replaced. The pan is actually the filter and is not reusable. The Mechatronic Sleeves, seals and solenoids is inside and what is most likely causing your rough shifts. There is also a very specific refill procedure where the transmission and new oil has to be a certain temp. If you have never done this before, definitely go to a shop or things will just get worse.
FYI this has nothing to do with your dci intake. You could take them off and it would have zero Impact.
      01-27-2023, 11:40 PM   #5
Kobe335i
Rep

UPDATE

I got the fluid topped off the and issue continued and has gotten worse, i recently got a code reader and The car has a "2AD0- no message from the transmission control unit" code. After looking on the forums I think the problem is the crankshaft position sensor.

If anyone has any inputs please let me know thank you for the replies
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 07:51 AM   #6
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
UPDATE

I got the fluid topped off the and issue continued and has gotten worse, i recently got a code reader and The car has a "2AD0- no message from the transmission control unit" code. After looking on the forums I think the problem is the crankshaft position sensor.

You think that a bad crankshaft sensor is causing the "no message from the transmission control unit"?? What??

Have you checked the multipin connector that goes into the transmission control unit??
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 08:22 PM   #7
Kobe335i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
You think that a bad crankshaft sensor is causing the "no message from the transmission control unit"?? What??

Have you checked the multipin connector that goes into the transmission control unit??
I have not, where would the tcu be
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 11:22 PM   #8
ky0u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f22 m235i, e30 325is

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325IS  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
It’s inside the transmission but you can see a plug going into it. Sometimes the seal for this plug fails and weird behavior starts happening

If you drop your pan, it’ll be the first thing you see
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 12:11 AM   #9
Kobe335i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky0u View Post
It’s inside the transmission but you can see a plug going into it. Sometimes the seal for this plug fails and weird behavior starts happening

If you drop your pan, it’ll be the first thing you see
Currently i do not have access to my tools to work o the car myself but i also got to read the cars engine errors with XHP and im getting "0x4f82 Gear ratio Monitoring clutch B".
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 07:01 AM   #10
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Currently i do not have access to my tools to work o the car myself but i also got to read the cars engine errors with XHP and im getting "0x4f82 Gear ratio Monitoring clutch B".
Sounds like you have some sort of transmission issue. It's nothing related to the engine, or engine sensors.
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 07:49 AM   #11
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
UPDATE

How did you top off the tranny fluid?

There is a very specific procedure when doing this. Transmission oil temp needs to be 30-35 deg Celcius. You have to cycle through gears and then check again.

Look at the procedure here: https://www.thectsc.com/bmw-6hp19-%E...vel-procedures

Also, mechatronic adapter seal (two black square looking things, that sit above the mechatronic unit) are prone to failure and can cause issues. Has this been replaced?

The reality of this situation is that your transmission is going to need a rebuild. Your clutch pack E is probably shot.
Rather than throwing money at a new pan, solenoids, oil and the rest of the seals (without a guarantee that it will fix anything), just take it to a reputable transmission shop and have them reduild it properly.

Try not to postpone this but rather get it done sooner than later. This is a bit odd considering your mileage. Previous owner must have beat the living crap out of it.

Last edited by Wolf 335; 02-01-2023 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 12:22 PM   #12
BRG_N54
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Green '07 & Arctic '08 335i's

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Car need to be level and running

Quote:
UPDATE

Did you "top off the fluid" with the car level? Was the engine running when you did this? As other's have mentioned there is a very specific process in order to maintain and refresh these extremely complicated transmissions.

A bad crank sensor would give you a P0335 and would talk about the crank sensor. Please try to not rely on Google to prevent your E93 from going to the scrapyard. It sounds like a communication problem with the TCU, I would look at the mechatronic sleeve and surrounding wiring for any external defects/fluid leaks.

Do you have the Bentley repair manual? These are highly refined automobiles, not really meant for the college student type. Just be aware that if you don't address these types of issues correctly it's going to get very expensive, very quickly.
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352340.50
      02-03-2023, 04:25 PM   #13
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Your trans has an internal issue, and I suspect there's a few things going on here. The trans definitely needs a full service, with lifeguard 6 fluid (no substitute), new pan, mechatronic sleeve, bridge adapter, tube seals. It could be that the mechatronic unit is failing or it could've had a pressure leak for a while causing clutch wear.

I don't mean this in a bad way at all, but if you're not able to do a full oil change, this is not the car for you. You're going to have a very bad time if you're not willing to DIY and/or drop some serious coin on maintenance
Appreciate 0