E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Valve cover gasket priority?

12-30-2022, 09:03 PM   #1
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Valve cover gasket priority?

So I’m beginning to think my valve cover gasket has failed and that’s why the oil leaks everywhere else have increased. Should I hold off on any other oil leak related repairs and focus on completing this job first? And last question which I’m sure has been answered before, but do the fastening elements need to be replaced? From what I can see they aren’t torqued down very hard, they should be fine for another go around, right? And it’s not a matter of me not being able to afford it, I just would rather spend that money towards other things especially if I don’t need them replaced.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 08:16 AM   #2
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

What's the first job? You don't think oil consumption is important?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 08:42 PM   #3
DirtyDieselDog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

I'd say it depends on the shape of the fasteners but they are cheap. PM I'll send you a new gasket. I have a spare that's 3 months old. I accidentally bought 2. I'd suggest cleaning carbon since you will have the entire engine down to that point. Idk your budget but when u get down there you will realize it's a pretty convenient time to do some preventative maintenance. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2023, 04:49 AM   #4
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDieselDog View Post
I'd say it depends on the shape of the fasteners but they are cheap. PM I'll send you a new gasket. I have a spare that's 3 months old. I accidentally bought 2. I'd suggest cleaning carbon since you will have the entire engine down to that point. Idk your budget but when u get down there you will realize it's a pretty convenient time to do some preventative maintenance. Just my 2 cents.
If you know of a place to get them cheap lmk. That is a good suggestion. When I get the valve cover off I’ll assess the situation. My EGR hasn’t been functioning correctly since the beginning of my ownership so I’m hoping there’s not too much carbon buildup.

Yes that is what I’m thinking. Originally I was going to do the oil pan gasket first but I see no point if the valve cover fails and pushes oil out of all the new seals. For example, my vacuum pump had all 3 gaskets replaced not too long ago and I’m already seeing oil leaks underneath the pump.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 09:00 AM   #5
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Shouldn't be hard to determine if the VCG has failed. You'll have A LOT of oil pissing all over the place. If I was in there doing a VCG, I'd probably do the coolant flange under the intake manifold as well, all the vacuum lines/pressure convertors/EV valve. I wouldn't bother with CBU unless you're 100% it's actually needed.
      01-02-2023, 01:43 PM   #6
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
What's the first job? You don't think oil consumption is important?
First job would be oil pan gasket replacement and catch can/ccv filter install. So yes as you can see I definitely think oil consumption is important. More important to me rn is oil leaks getting on my coolant hoses and swelling them causing coolant leaks. This has to stop! Lol
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 01:46 PM   #7
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
Shouldn't be hard to determine if the VCG has failed. You'll have A LOT of oil pissing all over the place. If I was in there doing a VCG, I'd probably do the coolant flange under the intake manifold as well, all the vacuum lines/pressure convertors/EV valve. I wouldn't bother with CBU unless you're 100% it's actually needed.
Ya I mean I can’t say it’s pissing all over, mostly just increased leaks from the turbo outlet hose and the Intercoolers outlet hoses, but now that I think about it that might be because I got a new MAF o ring and bolts for it. And the oil under the intake manifold probably is from the gaskets. Hm maybe I should look into ordering a new turbo outlet hose. Has anyone checked out the turner branded one? It is or was on sale for $100 on turners website I just didn’t know if it was worth it compared to the ATM branded one.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 11:14 AM   #8
motero
Registered
Rep
Drives: TDI,Cummins,OM642,M57

Don't forget the swirl flaps, I just did a valve cover gasket the car has 175k I think the gasket was original, Hard as a rock I had to chip it out in pieces. The swirl flaps were leaking oil all over also. I replaced the hardware due to the new rubber bushings they seal the sleeve and apply the clamping pressure to the valve cover.
Appreciate 0