E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N54 injectors in N53?

04-11-2022, 05:15 AM   #45
KalevE
Estonia
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325i RWD

Garage List
Update on my part

So I have been in contact with local indies and almost all said, that it probably can be done but some said that they wouldn't do it because they need to offer warranties and since it is not an approved swap, they don't want to take the risk.

Anyways I went ahead with my order since two shops were willing to do it and ordered 6x N54 injectors, should receive them by the end of the month.

My parts guy actually contacted his friend at BMW EU warehouse and got a this little info snippet - there were talks that BMW is going to merge N53 and N54 injectors into one product since - surprise, surprise - they both work in N53 and there is no need to keep two different injectors. Only took 14 years to figure this one out Only difference currently was that N54 injectors has a slightly larger needle to allow more fuel but since ECU controls it, it just doesn't have to open as much when installed on N53... But as previously mentioned here, you have to swap ALL of them, no mixing and full reset of engine adaptions after it.

I will update once I have them installed on my car.
Appreciate 2
Sicis26.00
Phil325i614.50
      04-12-2022, 03:53 AM   #46
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Thanks for the update. Good to know that even BMW recognise that N54 injectors are OK in the N53. What you said might explain why, on WOT, my N53 feels punchier. I thought I was imagining it, but maybe on WOT the ECU tells the injectors to 'give it all you've got' and for the N54 injectors that's more fuel than the N53 injectors..?
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 02:48 AM   #47
rkwdev
Rep
Drives: E90 N53B30

Any updates? My N53 starts with rough run and N53 injectors are impossible to find here (Poland) and price has skyrocketed. I thought about putting there the N54 injectors but, I have read on some Polish forum that after swapping the injectors (N54 in N53 engine) fuel consumption is like 18-20L/100 km and low power. Is it possible that its because not all injectors ale from N54 and engine adaptation was not reseted?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 01:40 PM   #48
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwdev View Post
Any updates? My N53 starts with rough run and N53 injectors are impossible to find here (Poland) and price has skyrocketed. I thought about putting there the N54 injectors but, I have read on some Polish forum that after swapping the injectors (N54 in N53 engine) fuel consumption is like 18-20L/100 km and low power. Is it possible that its because not all injectors ale from N54 and engine adaptation was not reseted?
I can report N54 injectors are working just fine in my N53. Fuel consumption is unchanged (and as good as ever!). I agree that if you go this route you must code the injectors to the ECU and clear all adaptations.

You really should not continue to drive with leaking injectors in my opinion. They will dilute your oil and could damage the cylinder coating. My indy even reports one occasion when the leaking was so bad that on a cold start, the bang was so big (from the extra fuel) that it cracked a crankshaft!
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 04:26 AM   #49
rkwdev
Rep
Drives: E90 N53B30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
I can report N54 injectors are working just fine in my N53. Fuel consumption is unchanged (and as good as ever!). I agree that if you go this route you must code the injectors to the ECU and clear all adaptations.

You really should not continue to drive with leaking injectors in my opinion. They will dilute your oil and could damage the cylinder coating. My indy even reports one occasion when the leaking was so bad that on a cold start, the bang was so big (from the extra fuel) that it cracked a crankshaft!
Thanks for the replay, any advice on how to check which injector leaks? Right now there is possibility (BMW ASO can't provide them rn, only private sellers) to buy 3 new index 11 injectors, so Im wondering if I could swap them on only one bank and from the rest 6 take these that don't leak and swap them to another bank. That could give me the time to find another 3 index 11 injectors.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 07:31 AM   #50
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwdev View Post
Thanks for the replay, any advice on how to check which injector leaks? Right now there is possibility (BMW ASO can't provide them rn, only private sellers) to buy 3 new index 11 injectors, so Im wondering if I could swap them on only one bank and from the rest 6 take these that don't leak and swap them to another bank. That could give me the time to find another 3 index 11 injectors.
Short of running a BWM diagnostic programme, the only way is to remove each spark plug after an overnight stop. Plugs which are black, wet, or stink of fuel are likely to indicate a leaking injector in that cylinder.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 06:05 AM   #51
KalevE
Estonia
Rep

Garage List
I should receive the new injectors hopefully next week. Don't know if I can get them installed too or the week after that. Car is getting paint repairs done atm and I don't know when they'll finish it.

Since the injectors are getting changed and I had already done the spark plugs and coils, I decided to do some other stuff too and bought a new water pump, thermostat, belts and pulleys too. So hopefully it will feel like new again
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 07:05 AM   #52
KalevE
Estonia
Rep

Garage List
So I finally got the injectors installed today. Did about 100km and so far so good. Cars runs fine, no strange noises etc and no more smoke puffs out of exhaust too!

Mechanic said that computer also showed that all is running like it is supposed to and there was nothing different happening in logs VS normal N53 injectors.

Will let you know how the car keeps itself up in following weeks and months.
Appreciate 1
Phil325i614.50
      07-06-2022, 11:17 AM   #53
cozens637
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i E92

I’ve spoken to BMW Hereford who said these Index 12 were £434 each and they’d need a correct chassis number for purchase. Cotswold BMW said the N54 injectors are currently on hold and they would also want a correct chassis number for these. They said they are £391. Not sure if this is with or without VAT. So I think BMW maybe have cottoned onto the fact they can be used in the N53 and are safeguarding these injectors for N54 owners so they don’t end up in short supply too? This is so frustrating - my 330i hasn’t been working properly for 6 months now!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 03:01 AM   #54
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Cotswold must have changed their tune. When I ordered mine I just told them the part number I wanted and that I knew they were for the N54 even though my car was N53. Stewart Barclay was the guy I dealt with.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 07:54 AM   #55
KalevE
Estonia
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, they aren't available through "official channels" in Estonia too at the moment.

Probably those, who had them ordered a long time ago or had some friends in right places (like me ) got them and that was it. I heard from my mate that there wasn't a big batch of N54 injectors available and almost all were already set aside for customers who had paid up front for them or went to BMW dealerships.

Anyways my car has been running fine. Done about 600km in it after the swap. No more excessive smoking or stuttering. Uses about 7.5l/100km on average (I mostly drive highways).

Sadly I can't get much under 6.5l/100k even on a steady run at 90-100 km/h. I wonder what else needs to be changed in order to match Phil's numbers... Maybe just manual vs auto difference? Or maybe the tires?

Last edited by KalevE; 07-13-2022 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 08:41 AM   #56
KalevE
Estonia
Rep

Garage List
Little update on my part.

Got INPA installed and decided to follow instructions on Bimmerprofs website to diagnose faults. Fuel trims and injector work graphs seemed normal but I noticed that NOX sensor stopped responding at random times during driving and never seeing stratified charge I decided to talk with Kaspars from Bimmeprofs and after sending him data he confirmed thay probably NOX sensor was broken. Since new nox sensor is over 600 and NOXEM was 350 I went NOXEM route. After installing it and resetting all engine adaptions my car is finally running OK again!

Currently outside temps are below freezing and I am using studded tires but despite that the average fuel consumption has dropped below 7.5l/100km (crawled up to almost 10 during winter) and doing 90-100 km/h on the highway it stays around 5.5 (used to be ~7-7.5). In the city doing steady 50km/h, it stays under 4l/100km - never seen such numbers before. Engine seems much quiter and stable too.

So AFTER doing the injectors, I highly recommend checking if the engine is even working in stratified mode or it stays in homogeneous all the time like mine did. Considering current fuel prices the 400ish expense will pay back quite soon If the sensor is not stuck, like it was on my car, the replacement will take under half an hour. I unfortunately had to unweld the sensor socket from the exhaust and re-weld a new one (Bosch lambda sockets are suitable!) so it took a bit over an hour.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 05:10 PM   #57
0l0dom0l0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalevE View Post
Little update on my part.

Got INPA installed and decided to follow instructions on Bimmerprofs website to diagnose faults. Fuel trims and injector work graphs seemed normal but I noticed that NOX sensor stopped responding at random times during driving and never seeing stratified charge I decided to talk with Kaspars from Bimmeprofs and after sending him data he confirmed thay probably NOX sensor was broken. Since new nox sensor is over 600 and NOXEM was 350 I went NOXEM route. After installing it and resetting all engine adaptions my car is finally running OK again!

Currently outside temps are below freezing and I am using studded tires but despite that the average fuel consumption has dropped below 7.5l/100km (crawled up to almost 10 during winter) and doing 90-100 km/h on the highway it stays around 5.5 (used to be ~7-7.5). In the city doing steady 50km/h, it stays under 4l/100km - never seen such numbers before. Engine seems much quiter and stable too.

So AFTER doing the injectors, I highly recommend checking if the engine is even working in stratified mode or it stays in homogeneous all the time like mine did. Considering current fuel prices the 400ish expense will pay back quite soon If the sensor is not stuck, like it was on my car, the replacement will take under half an hour. I unfortunately had to unweld the sensor socket from the exhaust and re-weld a new one (Bosch lambda sockets are suitable!) so it took a bit over an hour.
Hey Kalev,
How's your NOXEM doing?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 04:51 AM   #58
KalevE
Estonia
Rep

Garage List
I am happy to report that it is working just fine. We had a few -20c days too so no issues even in the cold.

I am trying to get my MSD80 and other components updated too to latest software and also enable the DIRU option (Bimmerprofs recommended this also when I was talking with them). Will report how and if this changes anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 05:45 PM   #59
0l0dom0l0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i

Perfect. Interested to see how you get on.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 04:12 AM   #60
Aligat0
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 523i E60 LCI

Hello all,

Did you get the chance to install the DIRU option? Do you know if this is also available for n53b25? Did any of you tried to install the 2 disa intake manifold from n53b30UO in a n53b25 engine? The N53b25 has only one an i'm trying to install the 2 disa Intake maybe to gain some more HP
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 07:38 AM   #61
KalevE
Estonia
Rep

Garage List
Hi! Haven't managed to get to the DIRU upgrade just yet. If I do, I'll let you guys know
Appreciate 0