E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Is it possible to brick an FRM by testing it on another car?

01-22-2020, 04:43 PM   #1
Vinny Von
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Is it possible to brick an FRM by testing it on another car?

A friend of mine has an '07 n54 that is supposedly having electrical issues like, doors not locking, E-brake light permanently on, windows not working ,Etc. He believes his FRM is fried and wants to see if swapping in my '09 n54 FRM will change anything to help confirm his is bad.

My question is, will I have any issues with my FRM once its back in my car? For example, will it have to be recoded or anything like that? I would assume its pretty much a plug and play thing but I would like to avoid bricking or messing up my FRM.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 11:42 PM   #2
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

You could end up in the same sinking boat as your pal. Power interruption to the FRM is a very common reason for failure. Eg. battery flat, battery disconnection.

Didn't BMW extend the warranty in USA for FRMs?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 08:45 PM   #3
bimmerfan1972
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Agreed. Looks like the FRM is dead, and I would not recommend taking yours out. Those things are very fragile. I bricked mine by just trying to flash it. Probably had a voltage fluctuation or something, dunno, but I ended up shelling out almost $500 for a new one. And that's just the part, I installed it myself.

Does your friend have access to INPA or NCSEXPERT? I would try reading from the module.
      02-09-2020, 01:23 PM   #4
Inland Surfer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 N54 6MT, '18 Sierra

FRM's are fragile, but used ones are pretty cheap. I had a bad junk yard one (got my money back), one that lasted less than a year before dying and my current that is on a couple years now and doing just fine.

$500 for a new one or under $50 for a used one. Not that hard to swap. Same as my HVAC controller; I had to buy 4 before I found a good one, but under $50 and got my money back on the used ones (and sold all the bad used ones, listed as being bad, for about what I paid for my good one). 2 minute swap, so not a big deal there.

That said, none of those listed symptoms were what my car had with bad FRM's. It was always lighting related.
Appreciate 0