E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > INPA codes, no symptoms

02-22-2020, 02:00 AM   #1
8303otte
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E90

INPA codes, no symptoms

Hi All,

But of a weird one here, my new (to me) 325i has just had some wiring repairs to the nox sensor which had corroded due to water.

I just scanned it with INPA and it has given me all of these new codes.
There are no symptoms whatsoever and the erratic idling i used to have has been remedied with the nox sensor repair. The indy also did a software update which took overnight.

any ideas? Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 02:34 AM   #2
WoodE30
Capt. Maverick
Rep
Drives: 89 E30 325is, E92 335i N54

Garage List
2013 X5 3.5xdrive  [0.00]
1989 325is  [0.00]
2008 335I coupe  [0.00]
Can't read the faults, to blurry.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 02:42 AM   #3
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Can't see the codes - pics are way too low res.

Anyhow, codes are persistent, so after they are triggered they will remain until they're cleared even if the fault is gone.

What you need to do is clear them, then see which (if any) come back. Some might come back immediately, others might come back after driving.

Clear the codes, then copy/paste any returning codes on your next post.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 02:55 AM   #4
8303otte
Rep

any better?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 03:48 AM   #5
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Have you cleared the codes to see if they return, like I suggested?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 04:08 AM   #6
8303otte
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Have you cleared the codes to see if they return, like I suggested?
I have, but I didn't get a chance to give it a good drive to see if they return. I was looking for a steer as to whether it was still advisable to drive off the back of those codes
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 04:39 AM   #7
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

If you cleared the codes and none came back, you're fine to drive, definitely.

Those codes will be from parts being unplugged during the repair, so aren't actually indicators of something wrong. That's my hunch anyhow.

If there are any serious problems, it's highly likely the car will warn you (check engine light, etc), and/or you'll notice symptoms when driving.

If you're worried, take it easy and re scan for codes soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 05:05 AM   #8
8303otte
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
If you cleared the codes and none came back, you're fine to drive, definitely.

Those codes will be from parts being unplugged during the repair, so aren't actually indicators of something wrong. That's my hunch anyhow.

If there are any serious problems, it's highly likely the car will warn you (check engine light, etc), and/or you'll notice symptoms when driving.

If you're worried, take it easy and re scan for codes soon.
brilliant. it is what I though but this is my first BMW so wasn't sure whether it all works the same with regards to codes etc

many thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 02:59 PM   #9
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8303otte View Post
... it is what I though but this is my first BMW so wasn't sure whether it all works the same with regards to codes etc
You can get DEFINITIONS & DETAILS of Fault Codes in INPA by connecting SEPARATELY to EACH Module that shows Fault Codes. The Screen you attached was INPA "Functional Jobs", F4, Fault Memory, ALL Modules. That is just the "Entry Point" to quickly determine what Modules have Fault Information stored in Module Memory, and the 4-digit "Hex-code" without any definition or details. If you connect to a module that has Fault Codes saved in Memory, you can read Fault Code Definitions & Details with Freeze Frame Data. You MAY have to use Google Translate to translate German to English:
https://translate.google.com/#view=h...te&sl=de&tl=en

Those who read Fault Codes without Definitions, with other Scan Tools or software, can use BMW Fault Code Lookup or Bentley to read Fault Code Definitions:
http://www.bmwfault.codes/

The advice that others have given is correct in that the Fault Codes your Functional Jobs Fault Memory ALL Modules screen shows mostly, if not all, COMMUNICATION Faults, where at some time, and for some reason (unknown without "Fault Details" which indicate whether a particular Fault is currently present, at what mileage the Fault Code was saved, whether that code would cause a warning light, etc.) the Modules in question did NOT receive an expected signal from the DME.

Yet, the DME (Module ADR #12) has NO fault codes saved in Memory. That means that the DME was disabled or disconnected from the other modules or the BUS by which the DME communicates with the other modules. That probably occurred in the process by which the tech "did a software update."For someone in a hurry who does NOT want to be "bored with the details" you can probably get away with simply deleting the codes and rechecking for codes in a few days. If you had NO Warning Lights (likely) then if the same codes return, you will not have an warning lights then, and the only way you will know there are Fault Codes saved is by using INPA Functional Jobs to do the same quick scan. If you would like to understand how to use INPA to actually solve issues that need addressing, or for those who want to understand how to use INPA to get help on the Forums, keep reading.

If you want to understand how to REALLY use INPA to the fullest extent of its Diagnostic Abilities, BEFORE you clear codes, go to a least one of the Modules in which there are Fault Codes currently saved, do a ScreenPrint (Shft+PrtSc), Paste that ScreenPrint to Paint or Photo Editor of choice, and SaveAs a jpg file, in Folder of your choice for later Translation, Review, or posting as an attachment to Forum Post, so others can see what they would see if using INPA to Diagnose your vehicle (poor man's way to get Online/ Remote Diagnosis). See the attached "Tutorial" pdf that explains HOW to do simple "Functional Jobs" tasks, and WHY you need to learn how to connect to each Module for MORE Detailed Information.

Few people have the time for, or interest in, understanding EACH of the many things INPA can do to diagnose an issue. However, most people with basic computer skills can get a basic understanding of the TYPES of things INPA can do. You can learn how to connect to a Module that relates to the system in which you have issues (e.g. DME for issues related to Coolant Pump, E-Fan, VANOS Solenoids, Misfire or other SES light issues). You can learn generally what information is available, as far as Fault Codes, Fault Definitions, and Details; Reading Parameters or Live Data; and doing Activations of Components such as Coolant Pump, Fuel Pump, E-fan, etc. If you know how to do that, or can at least follow instructions on how to connect to a certain module, view a certain screen, and post a jpg file of that screen, then DIY Diagnostics can actually WORK.

George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (682.2 KB, 103 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 12:39 PM   #10
8303otte
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8303otte View Post
... it is what I though but this is my first BMW so wasn't sure whether it all works the same with regards to codes etc
You can get DEFINITIONS & DETAILS of Fault Codes in INPA by connecting SEPARATELY to EACH Module that shows Fault Codes. The Screen you attached was INPA "Functional Jobs", F4, Fault Memory, ALL Modules. That is just the "Entry Point" to quickly determine what Modules have Fault Information stored in Module Memory, and the 4-digit "Hex-code" without any definition or details. If you connect to a module that has Fault Codes saved in Memory, you can read Fault Code Definitions & Details with Freeze Frame Data. You MAY have to use Google Translate to translate German to English:
https://translate.google.com/#view=h...l=de&tl=en

Those who read Fault Codes without Definitions, with other Scan Tools or software, can use BMW Fault Code Lookup or Bentley to read Fault Code Definitions:
http://www.bmwfault.codes/

The advice that others have given is correct in that the Fault Codes your Functional Jobs Fault Memory ALL Modules screen shows mostly, if not all, COMMUNICATION Faults, where at some time, and for some reason (unknown without "Fault Details" which indicate whether a particular Fault is currently present, at what mileage the Fault Code was saved, whether that code would cause a warning light, etc.) the Modules in question did NOT receive an expected signal from the DME.

Yet, the DME (Module ADR #12) has NO fault codes saved in Memory. That means that the DME was disabled or disconnected from the other modules or the BUS by which the DME communicates with the other modules. That probably occurred in the process by which the tech "did a software update."For someone in a hurry who does NOT want to be "bored with the details" you can probably get away with simply deleting the codes and rechecking for codes in a few days. If you had NO Warning Lights (likely) then if the same codes return, you will not have an warning lights then, and the only way you will know there are Fault Codes saved is by using INPA Functional Jobs to do the same quick scan. If you would like to understand how to use INPA to actually solve issues that need addressing, or for those who want to understand how to use INPA to get help on the Forums, keep reading.

If you want to understand how to REALLY use INPA to the fullest extent of its Diagnostic Abilities, BEFORE you clear codes, go to a least one of the Modules in which there are Fault Codes currently saved, do a ScreenPrint (Shft+PrtSc), Paste that ScreenPrint to Paint or Photo Editor of choice, and SaveAs a jpg file, in Folder of your choice for later Translation, Review, or posting as an attachment to Forum Post, so others can see what they would see if using INPA to Diagnose your vehicle (poor man's way to get Online/ Remote Diagnosis). See the attached "Tutorial" pdf that explains HOW to do simple "Functional Jobs" tasks, and WHY you need to learn how to connect to each Module for MORE Detailed Information.

Few people have the time for, or interest in, understanding EACH of the many things INPA can do to diagnose an issue. However, most people with basic computer skills can get a basic understanding of the TYPES of things INPA can do. You can learn how to connect to a Module that relates to the system in which you have issues (e.g. DME for issues related to Coolant Pump, E-Fan, VANOS Solenoids, Misfire or other SES light issues). You can learn generally what information is available, as far as Fault Codes, Fault Definitions, and Details; Reading Parameters or Live Data; and doing Activations of Components such as Coolant Pump, Fuel Pump, E-fan, etc. If you know how to do that, or can at least follow instructions on how to connect to a certain module, view a certain screen, and post a jpg file of that screen, then DIY Diagnostics can actually WORK.

George
thanks for all your help. I managed to get INSTA to work today and whilst none on the other codes turned up I did get one that said there was no comms to the nox sensor.

I had a look at the running mode and it said Homogeneous, am I right in thinking that it runs in homogeneous mode when idling?

i couldn't get to that PDF you mentioned
Appreciate 0