E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > How the E-Dipstick and Oil Sensor Work

09-08-2018, 08:50 AM   #1
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

How the E-Dipstick and Oil Sensor Work

With the age of the E9X chassis now a good 6 years past its last production date and most cars still on the road are with their second or third-tier owners (who probably are missing the original BMW documentation), I decided a write up of how the oil monitoring system works in the N52/54/55 engines was in order. A lot of owners have no idea how the oil sensor works, and misunderstand how the e-dipstick operates and what it tells them; the BMW owners manual never really gave a good explanation in the first place. A lot of owners do not understand the e-dipstick bar graph and think it represents the entire 7-quart quantity of oil in the engine. It only represents the top quart of oil.

Oil Sensor Purpose:
The N-series engines in the E9X all use VANOS, which is a camshaft timing system to vary the timing of valve operation dependent upon engine load (power) requirements. VANOS is operated by relatively constant oil pressure in conjunction with varying oil volume flow though computer controlled solenoid-operated oil control valves. To insure proper operation of VANOS, the engine computer needs to determine the level of the engine oil, which is why the engine has an oil level sensor. The primary purpose of the oil level sensor is for the VANOS system, rather than to just notify the driver of the engine oil level. The e-dipstick is an adjunct function of the oil level sensor even though it offers the driver convenience of reviewing engine oil level from the driver’s seat. The oil level sensor operation is not well understood by most owners, and appears to give faulty readings, which is why owners suspect its reliability.

Oil Sensor Design:
The sensor design is quite simple. It uses a dual stack of concentric-ring capacitors to determine the oil quality (contamination level) and oil level. Dual stacked means one capacitor is on top of the other capacitor. Capacitors are an electrical device normally used to store electrical energy for short periods to provide electric devices with short bursts of electrical energy when needed. Capacitors use a dielectric material to store the electrical energy. For the BMW sensor, engine oil is the dielectric material; the BMW oil sensor uses the electrical-design theory of the capacitor as a measurement device rather than an electrical energy storage device. The oil sensor, called “OZS” by BMW, uses the lower capacitor to measure the oil quality and the upper capacitor is used to determine the oil level. The sensor measures the dielectric value of the oil against a dielectric constant (value) to determine the contamination level of the oil. The upper capacitor uses the value (amount) of the capacitance in the upper capacitor based on the amount of oil present to determine the engine oil level. Concentric-ring means the design of the capacitor stores the oil in between conductors of the capacitor to determine the dielectric value of the oil (imagine a small pipe inside a larger pipe with oil in between the two pipes). There are small openings at the top and bottom of the OZS housing that allow engine oil to slowly pass through the capacitors. There is very little to mechanically or electrically to break in a capacitor, which makes the BMW oil sensor device highly-reliable. For the OZS to correctly measure the oil, the temperature of the oil must also be known, so there is an oil temperature sensor built into the bottom of the OZS.

E-Dipstick Operation:
Mechanical dipsticks are direct-read devices, meaning the level of the engine oil in the crankcase is directly determined by presence of oil on the dipstick. The e-dipstick is not a direct-read device; it takes data and data analysis to determine the oil level, which also means it takes time to determine the oil level; BMW calls this the "dynamic oil level" measurement. To get an accurate oil level reading the oil must be at operating temperature (one of the reasons the OZS has a temperature sensor built into it), and the engine must have been in operation for a minimal time period and gone through a series of operational parameters to ensure oil has moved throughout the lubrication system while the engine is running. The engine operating temperature must reach and be above a minimum of 140 deg. F. Engine speed must have reached greater than 1,000 RPM, and the engine must have reached acceleration levels transverse (side to side) and longitudinal (forward) of greater than 12 – 15 feet per-second squared. It takes about 5 minutes to reach these parameters in normal driving and the e-dipstick will not provide a measurement until such time, which is why if the engine is cold, a small clock symbol appears in the e-dipstick window and no reading is provided. Once the time and other parameters are met, the e-dipstick updates to a new level reading. The engine computer then continuously monitors the oil level and updates the e-dipstick display every 20 minutes, which means you can only get a new level reading after every 20 minutes of continuous driving.

Static oil level measurement. The OZS also has a function to measure the oil level when the engine is cold (like after an oil change) to confirm you refilled the engine. Static oil level measurement at engine OFF is only a reference measurement as the oil condition sensor (OZS) is flooded when the engine is turned off and can only detect the minimum oil level [the oil level is measured correctly only when the engine is running]. After switching on the ignition, the static oil level measurement provides the driver with the opportunity of checking whether there is sufficient engine oil for safely and reliably starting the engine. You follow the same procedure as checking the dynamic oil level, the action will return the "OK" notification in the gauge cluster.

The Confusion:
This is where the problem occurs with oil filling of the E90 N-series engines. Most owners don’t understand the e-dipstick doesn’t immediately update the oil level measurement (as a mechanical dipstick does). The e-dipstick reports only the top-level quart of oil, meaning it only shows how much of the 7th quart of oil is in the engine. The bar graph, which is analogous to the upper and lower marks on a mechanical dipstick, is just 1-quart long, so if the bar graph shows halfway between MIN and MAX the engine is missing just 1/2-quart of oil (i.e. not 3.5 quarts). If after an oil change and complete refill of the engine crankcase (7 quarts), if the engine is still above 140 deg. F (or soon does reach 140), but the engine has not gone through the full 5-minute time period of reaching the operational parameters, if the oil level is read, the e-dipstick will report the last known oil level. So if you changed the oil when the engine was, for example ¾-quart low, the e-dipstick will still read ¾-quart low even if you added the full 7-quarts of new oil. Conversely, if you top off the engine when it is not a full 1-quart low, say again at ¾-quart low, and then immediately read the oil level, it will still show ¾-quart low. This gets confusing to owners, because they don’t trust the oil sensor and don’t understand how it works, so they will add more oil and overfill the engine; I had a good friend, who is a very experienced DIY’er, do this exact scenario and blow the front crankseal of his son’s N52. This is also why, if you read the owner’s manual, it tells you to only add 1-quart of oil to the engine only after the CBS notification (“+1QT”) appears in the information display; if you add the quart and then immediately check the oil level, it will still show 1-quart low.

So as an owner of an E9X with the N52/54/55 engine, when changing the oil, or topping off, you must allow the e-dipstick at least 20 minutes to provide an update to the previous engine oil level. Also, you do not need to keep the engine oil level at MAX. Allow the engine to consume the 7th quart of oil and only add replacement oil at 1-quart increments to top off the oil level as notified by the CBS. Add the 1-quart of top-off oil within 125 miles of receiving the "+1QT" notification.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 09-29-2023 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: static measurement add
Appreciate 27
      09-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
zstreet86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i, 2008 e90 M3

Very informative and good to know. Thanks for taking the time to share.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #3
BourneJack
Banned
Rep
Drives: BME E90

thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #4
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Very useful info for even the experienced diyer.

Thanks!
      09-17-2018, 02:14 PM   #5
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Good write up.
It always makes me smile when I read all the various posts about over filing, low oil level, e dipstick not working etc.
When the engine needs 1 litre of oil it will ask for it
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 10:16 PM   #6
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

I don't agree with "Add the 1-quart of top-off oil within 120 miles of receiving the "+1QT" notification" as reasons may vary for oil being low and 120 miles might be too long of period and harmful to engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 04:55 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
I don't agree with "Add the 1-quart of top-off oil within 120 miles of receiving the "+1QT" notification" as reasons may vary for oil being low and 120 miles might be too long of period and harmful to engine.
I was going from memory; it is actually 125 miles according to the Owners Manual. I corrected accordingly. Thanks.
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2018, 07:18 AM   #8
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I was going from memory; it is actually 125 miles according to the Owners Manual. I corrected accordingly. Thanks.
Is that assuming oil was consumed by the engine during operation? What if there is an considerable oil leak? I don't think is ok people coming here to read is perfectly ok to wait 120 or 125 miles to top it off with oil and few miles later to have the low oil stop engine sign pop up.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 08:07 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Is that assuming oil was consumed by the engine during operation? What if there is an considerable oil leak? I don't think is ok people coming here to read is perfectly ok to wait 120 or 125 miles to top it off with oil and few miles later to have the low oil stop engine sign pop up.
Well, considering the information comes directly from the Owners Manual published by the manufacturer, I'll guess BMW assumes the engine is in good working order. I've posted numerous times in numerous threads that the typical engine oil leaks on the N52 actually leak very little oil. Being I drive my E90 about 700 miles a week now (down from 875) and I've always kept an eye on its oil consumption, I have pretty good data on the subject matter. My engine never really had a bad oil leak at the OFHG (i.e. the drive belt never was contaminated with oil) and never had a VCG leak (though I did replace the gasket at 305,000 miles when I did an ESS sensor change), but it did have an oil leak at the oil pan. The pan gasket leak started around 205,000 miles (Feb 2013) when I first noticed it. I replaced the gasket eventually 3 years later at 293,000 miles. I documented the mess the leaking gasket made inside the bell housing when I published my N52 clutch replacement DIY. The oil consumption data I have for that time period between 205K miles and 293K miles shows the engine was requiring 2 quarts of oil per 10,000-mile OCI. Fast forward 2 years later to 2018, now at 361,000 miles and no oil leaks, the engine now needs about 3 liters of oil between 10,000-mile OCI. So in my case the engine has increased oil consumption while now being leak-free. The engine is obviously burning the oil and always was burning the oil and not leaking a significant amount of the oil from the gasket seals.

So based on that information, I think the 125 mile window to add a quart of oil once the "+1 QT" notification comes up is still a safe protocol to follow. In my case when I get to work is sometimes when the notification pops up upon engine shutoff when I park. I don't keep a liter of oil in the car, so when I get home after work 80 miles later I add the liter of oil. Since the CBS doesn't tell you exactly when the engine hits 1-quart/liter low, I'd bet most likely it goes low somewhere on my 80-mile trip into work, so I could be adding the oil past the 125-mile recommendation. The engine has yet to fall out of the car.

For some reason people hate the idea that their engine is actually burning the oil, so they just want to believe it leaks a significant amount out the the gaskets, which is just not the case.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 12-28-2018 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 03:53 PM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
With the age of the E9X chassis now a good 6 years past its last production date and most cars still on the road are with their second or third-tier owners (who probably are missing the original BMW documentation), I decided a write up of how the oil monitoring system works in the N52/54/55 engines was in order. A lot of owners have no idea how the oil sensor works, and misunderstand how the e-dipstick operates and what it tells them; the BMW owners manual never really gave a good explanation in the first place. A lot of owners do not understand the e-dipstick bar graph and think it represents the entire 7-quart quantity of oil in the engine. It only represents the top quart of oil.
I figured I would ask here instead of making a thread. For peace of mind.

I left my car idle for 5 minutes in my driveway because I had to take a parcel delivery at home. When I came back in the car it was giving me the warning (I don't remember exact message) "Engine oil level low add 1 quart/liter now". iDrive Min Max bar was in red and underneath the minimum. I figure it might just be because I burned some oil and since my driveway isn't really flat that's why.

So I drive 1 minute to the superstore so I can park it flat. Shut off the car for 5 mins. Start the car and measure it as if I would have done an oil change. It takes a good 5 minutes and then oil level tells me it's ok and in green full bar.

I go for a hard drive to test my new charge pipe clamp and near the end the oil level now showed 1/4 above min mark in green.

Just to be clear here, it was probably just due to my driveway not flat? I just don't understand why it would still measure even though the sensor tells the car it ain't flat and give me the warning. And I suppose I burned a bit of oil from the last oil change why it was showing 1/4 over min?

Good thing I didn't add the quart of oil at the first warning?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 03:39 AM   #11
youbarajs
Private
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 sedan, BMW 328i

Excellent read, thanks for putting this up. I will put forth my experience

1) I had a perennial problem with "low engine oil" level in my E90 (N46) engine

2) Despite of changing all gas kits and o rings, every month i was asked to add 1 ltr (1.06qt), i even changed the rear main seal and the car had to go thru a complete balancing, alignment process and BMW dealer charged me a bomb for this

3) No visible sign of oil leak, no blue flames or dark puddles or any symptom for internal oil leak

4) Drained the whole oil, and found that i had around 5 ltrs of it (5.3 qt), but level was still showing yellow (and asked me to add 1 more qt) - BMW manual says a max of 4.5 ltrs (4.7 qts) for the n46

5) Cleaned the sensor, changed the senor, still no luck

I was quite frustrated and was missing the dip stick badly.

One of the indy shop suggested me to apply sealant around where the sensor sits.

Boom! its fixed the problem and now the same sensor and system showed the level above the max limit. Its been almost a year and time for new oil change and all is fine.

Punchline - I guess, some pressure leak effects how sensor reads the data, I am no expert, but I hope some may find this useful.

NB: the oil sensor area use to be moist, but it was hard to believe you are loosing 1 ltr from that every month.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 09:28 PM   #12
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

I remember reading a bmw tech article that the nxx engines are designed to consume since oil in between OCI. can't remember the consumption rate. Higher for M engines.
As an owner of a few rotary engine cars, I would be very concern if there no oil consumption between OCI.

I've come to appreciate the convenience of the e-dipstick. Thanks for the explanation!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 03:51 PM   #13
raavin
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 320i 2006 N46

SERVICE instead of level

Thanks heaps for this. It makes part of my issue more clear.

I have a 2005/2006 320i N46. Recently I was checking the oil level and instead of having the clock it just said SERVICE underneath a low oil level reading. I added about 500ml oil with no change to the level so started getting all of my gear together for error reading and an oil change so I could tell the level. (The level never changed but it looks like I didn't drive it far enough or for long enough to get a new reading.)
Using INPA and a cheap $20AUD cable, the consistent error was 2F9E CDKTOENS - Thermischer Oelniveausensor or Thermal Oil Level Sensor. I tried just doing the oil and filter change just to get the level right first. I only pulled about 2 litres out of the engine of the 4.25lt it should have been. Put 4lt clean oil back in and checked the level. Still just said SERVICE with no level update. (Now I know it wouldn't update anyway). Thought it might be the sensor so bought a new one. Admittedly it was a Chinese knockoff.
Drained the oil, this time just under 4 litres. Assuming there is 500-750ml that you can't get out. Replaced the sensor. Put the same oil back in. Tried the level straight away. Told me to add a litre. Didn't make sense so left the engine running and checked again. Did this a few times. Added another litre. Ran for a bit and got the same failure after a bit with SERVICE.
Hopefully I haven't done any damage. There was some smoke from the exhaust. Some from the engine but I think that was just from oil overpour.
Errors now
2F9E CDKTOENS - Thermal oil level sensor
P1127 Engine oil level sensor signal - plausibility error

Today I'll get the oil out, check the cables again, put back only 4 litres and try running it again but follow the instructions here. Hopefully the SERVICE error will go away but I'm sort of suspecting that the overfill has damaged the level sensor but that doesn't really make sense because the engine was previously way underfilled.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:41 PM   #14
raavin
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 320i 2006 N46

Mmmmmmm, fail.

Emptied out the oil and replaced 4lt. Drove the care about 30km.

It seemed to reset but then failed again with SERVICE being displayed below the level. I'm happy with the level at the moment.

Checked ISTA and it made more sense this time. Finally figured out how to generate a service plan for faults.

Read out vehicle data => Complete Identification
Control Unit Tree => Display Fault Memory
Fault Memory => Calculate test plan

Test plan indicated checking the connecting cables and possibly replacing the sensor (which I've done). The good thing is that the cheap Chinese sensor seems to work, also means that the original was probably working too :P. I'll have to study the wiring diagram a bit. I did check the cables and all seemed to be in reasonable condition. Probably need to check continuity and resistance with a multimeter but not sure what resistance should be.

The SERVICE warning seems to be undocumented.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 12:55 AM   #15
C4maro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

I had a really really dumb moment when I put the oil filter o ring on incorrectly, I basically had it seated right at the top of the cap, not in the groove it goes in, assuming all was good drove to work a good ways and the oil light finally came on so stopped at gas station and topped it up and could see it leaking from cap but still didn't click with me what id done wrong(I was thinking it was faulty o ring), on way home after driving longer because of traffic it came on again and I kept driving, really dumb I know now thinking back, short story once I got home I believe I had to add about 3 quarts to get the add oil light to go off. I'm pretty certain I didn't get a red oil light, just the yellow, this was about a year ago and all is good but I'm wondering how bad being that low on oil would be, and two, if it loses oil pressure would it shut the engine off or let you keep driving? Still kicking myself to this day. Interesting that you can be in need of 3 quarts of oil and you'll only get a add 1 quart msg, as if you only need one quart, I was dumb in this situation and should of taken the msg more seriously but (add one qt) seems a little mild once you've gotten to that point.

N54 with oil cooler

I'm just hoping having what I had in there would be enough for the pump to continuously grab oil without starving. Any idea?

Last edited by C4maro; 02-27-2020 at 01:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 01:26 AM   #16
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

It'll let you keep driving if it loses oil pressure, but it'll definitely tell you about it! The chances are you were fine. There was probably plenty oil in there for the pump to circulate without starving. If you had been doing any spirited driving, it might have been a different story. Yep, that was a really daft thing to do; keep driving more than the bare minimum with any sort of oil warning.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 02:58 AM   #17
RAMDHI
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i E90 N46

SERVICE error

Quote:
Originally Posted by raavin View Post
Thanks heaps for this. It makes part of my issue more clear.

I have a 2005/2006 320i N46. Recently I was checking the oil level and instead of having the clock it just said SERVICE underneath a low oil level reading. I added about 500ml oil with no change to the level so started getting all of my gear together for error reading and an oil change so I could tell the level. (The level never changed but it looks like I didn't drive it far enough or for long enough to get a new reading.)
Using INPA and a cheap $20AUD cable, the consistent error was 2F9E CDKTOENS - Thermischer Oelniveausensor or Thermal Oil Level Sensor. I tried just doing the oil and filter change just to get the level right first. I only pulled about 2 litres out of the engine of the 4.25lt it should have been. Put 4lt clean oil back in and checked the level. Still just said SERVICE with no level update. (Now I know it wouldn't update anyway). Thought it might be the sensor so bought a new one. Admittedly it was a Chinese knockoff.
Drained the oil, this time just under 4 litres. Assuming there is 500-750ml that you can't get out. Replaced the sensor. Put the same oil back in. Tried the level straight away. Told me to add a litre. Didn't make sense so left the engine running and checked again. Did this a few times. Added another litre. Ran for a bit and got the same failure after a bit with SERVICE.
Hopefully I haven't done any damage. There was some smoke from the exhaust. Some from the engine but I think that was just from oil overpour.
Errors now
2F9E CDKTOENS - Thermal oil level sensor
P1127 Engine oil level sensor signal - plausibility error

Today I'll get the oil out, check the cables again, put back only 4 litres and try running it again but follow the instructions here. Hopefully the SERVICE error will go away but I'm sort of suspecting that the overfill has damaged the level sensor but that doesn't really make sense because the engine was previously way underfilled.
Hi, did you managed to get the SERVICE error fixed?
Appreciate 0