E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > '07 328i cranks but no start

01-23-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
David3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 (x2), E46, F15, G05 LCI

'07 328i cranks but no start

Engine died and will not restart. Cranks fine, will not fire. I have tried the following:

powered the fuel pump directly from battery. Pump runs, no change.

Disconnected MAF sensor. No change.

So, next would be to connect my computer so I can read real codes. Tow truck coming soon. Anyone have any other easy things to try? Or just suggestions on what to check. My son (his car) complained about rough running and hunting idle. Engine died a few times prior to no start.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Stupid question.....it's got gas it in right? Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and then trying to start it? Good charge on the battery?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:41 PM   #3
David3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, half tank. Battery was disconnected while installing jumper wires directly to pump. Battery is weak from all the cranking, but jumped to another car that is running so voltage should be good.

EWS issue? Crankshaft sensor? My experience with crankshaft sensor is some advanced warning.

Fuel pump does not run unless power applied directly...does this point to anti-theft issue?

I should probably check DME fuse(s) next.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 03:45 PM   #4
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Yeah...sounds odd that the pump isn't coming on. Check all the fuses.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 04:51 PM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

You should be monitoring your alternator and battery voltages.
If you have depleted the battery put a long slow charge on it.
If it is over 6 years old it's time to think about a replacement.
Don't try to trouble shoot these cars with a weak battery or you
will chase your tail.

List motor type N51 or N52 .
N51's are noted to have a problem where the fuel lines in the
Gas Tank disconnect. This will not show any codes but there
will be no fuel pressure.

Gas Pump is in the Tank pretty dangerous to jump it at the pump.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 07:16 PM   #6
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
There are a hundred different reasons why it might not start... blown fuse, fried DME, clogged exhaust, damaged injector or ignition wiring, failed cam or crank sensors, failed valvetronic actuator, lack of oil causing damaged top end, insufficiently charged battery, failed battery -> dme wiring terminal under the battery, etc...

step one is to hook up a scan tool, preferably a BMW-specific tool or INPA/ISTA+
      01-23-2020, 08:13 PM   #7
JessiV909
Rep
Drives: 2006 Bmw 325i

Garage List
2006 Bmw E90  [0.00]
My issue was cam and crank sensors but it would just stall on me. It would shake bad only when on startups.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 08:14 PM   #8
David3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Got my old INPA working lots of faults. Cleared and CAS A0B4 persisted. JBBF code persisted. No others. Can activate fuel pump with INPA so I think this rules out pump. Fuses good, relays good.

Need to check battery/electrical connections as suggested.

My son report low oil warning prior to issue. Oil level indicated said oil full. Might need to check compression.

When connection Underwood battery terminals to my 550i, the v]cables got very hot...says poor connection to me. My battery charger keeps shutting down as if overloaded. Again, maybe poor connection somewhere.

No DME faults. Key seems to be recognized.

I want to replace crank sensor...might have a spare lying around somewhere.

Oh, not sure how jumping fuel pump is dangerous. 12v is 12v no matter how it is applied
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 08:40 PM   #9
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

The fuel pump is in the gas tank
covered in gas.
Was there any fuel preasure at the fuel rail?

What is your motor type n51 or n52?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 08:42 PM   #10
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
well that sure is a weird one!

cables getting hot, depends on the cables whether its a problem... key on engine off, these cars will pull 40-50 amps, which can cause thinner cables to get hot and some battery chargers to shut down (my basic sears one doesn't like it, the big snap-on isn't phased by it)

compression is worth checking.

I think A0B4 fires with starter/crank issues as a side effect, the car saying 'hey, it didn't start'. I got that when my starter had failed and it just clicked.

JBBF though could mess up a lot of stuff, if one of the terminals isn't turning on, or wrong signals sent out... what code is coming back from that?
      01-23-2020, 08:43 PM   #11
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
Also try disconnecting the IBS connectors at the battery, I've heard it can cause no start (though it usually throws a code)
      01-23-2020, 09:55 PM   #12
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Disconnect ESS
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 07:34 AM   #13
David3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
The fuel pump is in the gas tank
covered in gas.
Was there any fuel preasure at the fuel rail?

What is your motor type n51 or n52?
Sorry, N52. Yes the pump is in the tank, but the electrical connection/pins are not!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 07:38 AM   #14
David3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
well that sure is a weird one!

cables getting hot, depends on the cables whether its a problem... key on engine off, these cars will pull 40-50 amps, which can cause thinner cables to get hot and some battery chargers to shut down (my basic sears one doesn't like it, the big snap-on isn't phased by it)

compression is worth checking.

I think A0B4 fires with starter/crank issues as a side effect, the car saying 'hey, it didn't start'. I got that when my starter had failed and it just clicked.

JBBF though could mess up a lot of stuff, if one of the terminals isn't turning on, or wrong signals sent out... what code is coming back from that?
JBBF A6CF. Quick search says A6CF is AUC sensor...don't really care about that at the moment.

This afternoon I will pull battery and check every related connection/terminal.

Jumper cables are fairly long and of a smaller gauge...could be the issue. But, the battery charger is a different animal...electronics asleep and it still shuts down after a few minutes. I will charge the battery when it is out of the car to see if there is a difference. Could be my electronic charger acting up. I believe it is a 20amp or greater...cannot fully recall.

UPDATE: Pulled battery and was able to charge normally with my 30/100amp electronic charger. So, maybe there is a high resistance somewhere between battery compartment and engine bay. All electrical connectors in battery compartment are clean/tight.

Last edited by David3; 01-24-2020 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 07:42 AM   #15
David3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Disconnect ESS
I am not familiar with "ESS", please provide additional information.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 07:47 AM   #16
David3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessiV909 View Post
My issue was cam and crank sensors but it would just stall on me. It would shake bad only when on startups.
My son report shaking on start/idle periodically. I assumed another dead coil. I agree, could be cam or crank sensor. He also had CEL a few days before no start that would clear and return immediately. I believe it was a timing retarded fault. I was going to clean the vanos solenoids, but possibly it is related to bad sensor?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 07:51 AM   #17
David3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So, my INPA software and serial interface is old because I do not use it very often as I have generally moved on to F cars. Will my ISTA+/E-sys/ethernet interface work on E cars?

And, thank you to everyone who is trying to help...usually, I do not get this stumped. But, then again, I do not play with this car very much.

Almost forgot. The fuel rail does NOT have a schrader valve which surprises me.

Last edited by David3; 01-24-2020 at 08:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 07:14 PM   #18
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Quote:
Disconnect ESS

Thanks!
Quote:
Quote:
Disconnect ESS

Thanks!
Eccentric shaft sensor, it's on the valve cover towards the front of the engine
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 07:44 PM   #19
David3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Eccentric shaft sensor, it's on the valve cover towards the front of the engine
Ah, thanks. I definatley know what the eccentric shaft sensor is. I will check it for oil contamination and disconnect/reconnect.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 05:47 PM   #20
David3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update:

Starter replaced...it was smoking after long cranks. Crankshaft position sensor replaced. All to no avail. Compression is 150-180psi in all cylinders.

Disconnecting eccentric sensor does nothing. No oil in sensor electrical connector.

Starting to suspect key or ews/cas. Cannot sync ews, get cannot communicate with module error in INPA...probably an issue with my version of INPA.

Plugs were wet with fuel, so suspect no spark condition. Could trigger injectors, fuel pump, throttle motor. So, presumably I squirted a bit of fuel in cylinders and still o start, tells me no spark.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 12:06 AM   #21
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Update:

Starter replaced...it was smoking after long cranks. Crankshaft position sensor replaced. All to no avail. Compression is 150-180psi in all cylinders.

Disconnecting eccentric sensor does nothing. No oil in sensor electrical connector.

Starting to suspect key or ews/cas. Cannot sync ews, get cannot communicate with module error in INPA...probably an issue with my version of INPA.

Plugs were wet with fuel, so suspect no spark condition. Could trigger injectors, fuel pump, throttle motor. So, presumably I squirted a bit of fuel in cylinders and still o start, tells me no spark.

Thoughts?
Quote:
Update:

Thoughts?
Check all your relays, I believe there is one for cas, I changed both relays under the hood when I had an engine start issue
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 12:20 AM   #22
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
[2007 328i E90, N52KP Engine] Engine died and will not restart. Cranks fine, will not fire...Tow truck coming soon. [That was Thursday @ 3:40 PM -- it's NOT there yet? Reason I didn't post before is by the time I saw this, I figured you didn't have the vehicle to test anymore. ]...My son (his car) complained about rough running and hunting idle. Engine died a few times prior to no start.
Quote:
Got my old INPA working lots of faults. [You should have saved (as jpg file) a screen print of ALL codes in all Modules (Functional Jobs) and then connected to DME & read ALL Fault Codes with Freeze Frame Data and saved a screen print of ALL DME Faults and posted here. Destroying Evidence is a FELONY -- been taking lessons from someone in DC? Evidence MAY still be there in HistorySpeicher (Memory History) though -- see below] Cleared and CAS A0B4 persisted. JBBF code persisted. No others. Can activate fuel pump with INPA so I think this rules out pump. [Did you run F6 EKP Activation when connected to the EKP (Fuel Pump Module), or when connected to the DME? You should do BOTH, as DME Activation of the EKP may NOT be occurring.] Fuses good, relays good. [Which specific fuses & relays did you examine or test, and did you test them electrically with meter?]...
No DME faults... [Read Historyspeicher per below and note MILEAGE/km at which most recent codes saved and your CURRENT odometer reading.]
Quote:
My son report shaking on start/idle periodically. I assumed another dead coil. I agree, could be cam or crank sensor. He also had CEL a few days before no start that would clear and return immediately. [If he had SES light on multiple occasions, there are Fault Code(s) saved in the DME at each mileage when the light came on.] I believe it was a timing retarded fault. I was going to clean the vanos solenoids, but possibly it is related to bad sensor?
Quote:
...Compression is 150-180psi in all cylinders ...Cannot sync ews, get cannot communicate with module error in INPA...probably an issue with my version of INPA. [Please explain what you mean by that, WHAT module you are attempting to connect with, and provide a screenprint of the error message.]
Plugs were wet with fuel, so suspect no spark condition. Could trigger injectors, fuel pump, throttle motor...
QUESTIONS:
0) WHAT is the build month/year of your 2007 328i? Electrical systems, particularly Fuse designations, changed in the middle of 2007 model run, effective 3/1/2007, and I can't provide you with Power Supply circuits for YOUR car without knowing the build date.
1) When Starter is cranking engine, is there ANY sputter/change in RPM or attempt to fire, or does it just crank away with NO change of RPM as if "out of gas"?
2) Have you used "Functional Jobs" to:
a) Read Fault Codes in ALL Modules (F4 Fehlerspeicher or Fault Memory), and
b) Check F2 Identification to make sure ALL Modules, particularly ADR #12 DME are active?
3) Have you used DME > F4 > F1 > F3 to read DME Fault Memory with Freeze Frame Data?
4) Have you used DME > F4 > F3 > F1 to read "Historyspeicher"? Even if you cleared "Fehlerspeicher", historical record of DME Fault Codes is still present in Historyspeicher. NEVER clear Historyspeicher.
5) Have you looked at TIS circuits for DME Main Relay (K6300) and fuses powering the DME? The K6300 circuit for my 3/14/2007 328xi N52KP is attached as an example of the circuit which MAY be different if YOUR vehicle is EARLY 2007 model. On mine, the FIRST thing I would check is fuse F50 which is needed to power the DME to "turn itself on" by completing the ground circuit to the K6300 relay. THEN I would use a DMM to check voltage at the F78 fuse socket (fuse removed) to make sure the K6300 relay is activating when ignition is ON.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...supply/xGCYTPF
6) Have you tested for 12V+ (or B+) at the power supply wire (Orange wire) at one of the Coil Connectors with Ignition ON? Circuit for LATE 2007 below shows F77 powers the coil primaries, so if NO B+, check that fuse.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...nition/x7JApNv
7) Have you tested for B+ at the Orange wire of any Injector Connector with Ignition ON. Injectors are powered by same fuse (F77) as Coil Primaries per this TIS circuit:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ection/x79f54L

Finally, here is the F77 circuit of the entire system, EXCEPT it does NOT show F50 that powers the DME BEFORE the DME Relay is active:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...200703/vd3AVGP

8) Have you had the Blower Motor Harness Recall performed on that vehicle, and if so WHEN? There is a possibility that removal of the JB (Junction Box) or fuse panel might have affected one of connectors such as X11010 that affects activation of the DME Relay.

After reviewing your findings that the Injectors are powered but suspicion that Coils are NOT, it appears likely that you have an EARLY 2007 model, built BEFORE 3/1/2007, and that has ENTIRELY different setup from my late 2007 model with separate fuse & relay for Injectors, and the components in question, whether relays or fuses, located in the E-box under the hood instead of on the JB Fuse Panel.

Here are Coil & Injector circuits for EARLY 2007 model:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...nition/oVletnn
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ection/i8vQ1Q3

With the information requested above, we can suggest "next steps" if you don't find the issue by the suggested tests.

George
Appreciate 0