E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Angel Eye Comparisons

09-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #705
tomarse
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Alpine View Post
HID Angel Eyes nor any other angel eye blinds oncoming traffic, it has been tested many times over and over again.

If that was the case, everytime someone pushes unlock on their car and approach from the front they would be blinded.

Angel Eyes DO NOT project.

I understand the brightness might give you the idea and it blinds, but it only keeps that light inside the housing.

With over 4 years now with this product on the road, I doubt it would have made it long if it posted a "reckless" nature.
Sorry to disagree, but reality proves otherwise. I've seen HID angel eyes (35W bulbs) quite a few times in person.

DRL devices explicitly installed for the use as DRL such as BMW's angel eyes for the last 6 years, or Audi's LED DRL (or any other similar DRL installation on a car) are a non-directional light source by definition.

Therefore, they do project.

You can try it in front of a wall. The light emitted from the angel eyes is distributed all over the wall. It is not a directional light such as low beam, which keeps the light below a certain level (oncoming traffic eye level) in order to avoid blinding.

Non-directional light needs to be below a certain intensity during night time in order to not blind oncoming traffic, therefore manufacturer DRL (BMW, Audi, ..) is dimmed in combination with low beam, so it can be legally considered as parking light/side light.

Don't get me wrong, I dig the way how HID angel eyes look during daytime, really. In my opinion, it's the best retrofit solution during daytime (except complete headlight modification such as OSS which are much more expensive of course). But at night, HIDs are way too bright for use in BMW angel eyes. Too bad they are not dimmable, then they would be perfect.

LEDs, on the other hand, are easily dimmable, but unfortunately all retrofits (including LUX) are IMHO way too dark to seriously consider them as DRL (so actually there's no dimming required as there can't be any blinding). You can hardly see them in sun light.

HID angel eyes have been sold successfully for years because there is no other solution for white angel eyes with appropriate DRL brightness. People either don't think about blinding the oncoming traffic at night, or simply don't care.

As stated before, it's possible to code FRM so the angel eyes are deactivated in combination with low beam. But who wants that, a bimmer without angel eyes during night? I wouldn't either, by the way. Therefore I go without HIDs.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 12:15 AM   #706
Alex@Alpine
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomarse View Post
Sorry to disagree, but reality proves otherwise. I've seen HID angel eyes (35W bulbs) quite a few times in person.

DRL devices explicitly installed for the use as DRL such as BMW's angel eyes for the last 6 years, or Audi's LED DRL (or any other similar DRL installation on a car) are a non-directional light source by definition.

You can try it in front of a wall. The light emitted from the angel eyes is distributed all over the wall. It is not a directional light such as low beam, which keeps the light below a certain level (oncoming traffic eye level) in order to avoid blinding.

Non-directional light needs to be below a certain intensity during night time in order to not blind oncoming traffic, therefore manufacturer DRL (BMW, Audi, ..) is dimmed in combination with low beam, so it can be legally considered as parking light/side light.

Don't get me wrong, I dig the way how HID angel eyes look during daytime, really. In my opinion, it's the best retrofit solution during daytime (except complete headlight modification such as OSS which are much more expensive of course). But at night, HIDs are way too bright for use in BMW angel eyes. Too bad they are not dimmable, then they would be perfect.

LEDs, on the other hand, are easily dimmable, but unfortunately all retrofits (including LUX) are IMHO way too dark to seriously consider them as DRL (so actually there's no dimming required as there can't be any blinding). You can hardly see them in sun light.

HID angel eyes have been sold successfully for years because there is no other solution for white angel eyes with appropriate DRL brightness. People either don't think about blinding the oncoming traffic at night, or simply don't care.

As stated before, it's possible to code FRM so the angel eyes are deactivated in combination with low beam. But who wants that, a bimmer without angel eyes during night? I wouldn't either, by the way. Therefore I go without HIDs.
I am not going to start an argument over this, many things you have stated are so wrong I do not even want to start stretching this.

Our kits use ballast that IDLE at 25watts, not 35.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 12:58 AM   #707
e90postlogin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomarse View Post

writeup.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #708
tomarse
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 330i

Quote:
I am not going to start an argument over this, many things you have stated are so wrong I do not even want to start stretching this.

Our kits use ballast that IDLE at 25watts, not 35.
I've only seen 35W HIDs in person, so I can only refer to them:
Very well visible during daytime (but shouldn't be any brighter), much much much too bright and blinding at night.

I assume that 25 watt HID are reasonably visible in sunshine and have perfect brightness during daytime. Most probably you agree?!
A light source well visible in sunshine must be perceived really bright in darkness. A reason for car manufacturers to dim their DRL during night time (i.e. in combination with low beam).

I didn't have the intention to offend you at any point or "endanger" your business. People will keep buying your HIDs anyway.

Nevertheless I'd be interested in what you think was so awfully wrong. The light distribution characteristics of BMW angel eyes simply are as I've described them in my last posting. If you don't believe, please do the wall test and see yourself.
In order to prevent blinding oncoming traffic in dark environment, brightness needs to be reduced as every car manufacturer at least here in Europe does for a good reason.

If anything stated is unclear, please ask for clarification, as I'm not a native English speaker and I might have failed in making clear statements.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #709
Br0okLYnzSouLJa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335xi Coupe

Quote:
HID Angel Eyes nor any other angel eye blinds oncoming traffic, it has been tested many times over and over again.

If that was the case, everytime someone pushes unlock on their car and approach from the front they would be blinded.

Angel Eyes DO NOT project.

I understand the brightness might give you the idea and it blinds, but it only keeps that light inside the housing.

With over 4 years now with this product on the road, I doubt it would have made it long if it posted a "reckless" nature.

I tested my angel eyes that same night after installation. They are bright, dont mistake me. But I looked directly at them from a few feet away from my hood, and its definitely not blinding to the naked eye. So dont worry these HIDs for sure dont provoke other drivers in that way. I have to say so its been about a week or so since installation and they are still wonderful. Couldn't be any more satisfied.

Amazing and wonderful product, thank you Alpine.

2009 E92 Alpine White 335xi | Alpine 8000K HIDs | 10000K Fog HIDs | Tints | Injen Dual Air Intake | Clarion VZ401 | 12" L7 Kicker | JB4 G5 | M6 Gunmetal Rims | Weisslicht White LEDS | ALPINA Flash!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #710
Coly
Private
Rep
Drives: E93

Perhaps not the right place to post this but Tomarse is correct about european dimming - at least in the uk.
I just got my OSS and I want to find a way to reduce the dimming- id say there is a 20% reduction when going from DRL to having the side lights on and to be honest this wasn't the effect I wanted so now find myself driving at night with just the drl on - only in well lit environments in London. Also my lights clearly illuminate signs and posts as well as other cars, so in the case of OSS they do project light.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #711
francak92
Private
Rep
Drives: 328 i

were can i get headlights like these or when i buy aftermartket is there a bulb i can buy for the ring
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #712
Koreyy
KOrey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
hey guys, i would like get bright white angel eye for my 08 335i, im so noob with this, give me some advise with, reasonable price with easy installation please. about to spend atleast $400
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #713
francak92
Private
Rep
Drives: 328 i

were can i get the best bmw headlights
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #714
skiparock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 lbb manual

My first (and probably cheapest) mod since I got the car 3 weeks ago, some cheap GP thunder AE. I think they look good enough at night (for now), not too visible during the day, but 15 bucks isn't bad. The light from the sunset makes it look like there is someone in the driver seat (ghost?). [IMG][/IMG]
02 330xi (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #715
Vegas1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i 'vert &'14 Merc C300

Garage List
  [0.00]
Weisslicht and stock AE's

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #716
MobbinSF
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N55 E92

Hey guys,

So I've been away and haven't been creeping on the forums lately. I been seeing way too many cars lately with angel eyes upgrades to 6000k and I just can't stand to see how good they look.

I own a 06 330i e90 PreLci with Xenon Halos and I need to know what my best options to upgrade are for 6000k+ (looking for mainly Bright White upgrade)

I'm looking to spend between $100-$150 depending how many hours they will last, I was looking at some Mtecs as well? any issues on those nowadays?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #717
OECMG
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

I have the same question as TimGrey3. Looking to spend $100-$150, what is the best option out there in that price range? I tried a set called city vision from **********s and I was not pleased to say the least. Tell me it gets better than this.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #718
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by OECMG View Post
I have the same question as TimGrey3. Looking to spend $100-$150, what is the best option out there in that price range? I tried a set called city vision from **********s and I was not pleased to say the least. Tell me it gets better than this.
MTECs and DTECs range from $100 - $230, its all made with CREE leds for maximum lumen's output
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #719
DiscoMike
BIMMER-1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i-X Drive - M-Sport PP CWP

I purchased D-Tech lighting to replace the incadescent AE lighting from E92 Lighting. I am very please with them.
      10-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #720
type0
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i TYPE 0

Garage List
      10-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #721
Joel_M
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i Space Gray

Hey guys I am looking to buy a set of Angel eyes for my e92 335. I am looking for a blueish white look as in 8000k. I have seen the Alpines which I have seen to be the closest to what I am looking for but I know they are HID as supposed to LED. From searching around I know it's probably a highly debated topic but have seen more argue for LED for not over heating, blinding oncoming drivers at night etc, but also not being bright or visible during day time.

From the LEDs I have seen, They have been more pure white colored and have not seen an option for a bit more blue.

Is there any suggestions on which way I should go?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #722
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30, F15, Audi S4

So after scanning almost 700ish posts, I am looking for a clean white LED that are not outrageously bright I’m not trying to replace my headlights (I see many members are going with “brighter is better”)

I’m looking to replicate the oem brightness but just change the color to a clean white (no blue) color.

BMS looks close, any input is much appreciated
Gone: E92 335i N54 468rwtq
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 09:43 PM   #723
tomasaurusflex
Rep
Drives: 13' 335i M Sport

Nice post very informative
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 03:55 AM   #724
runwild
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

MTEC V4

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92-Lighting View Post
MTECs and DTECs range from $100 - $230, its all made with CREE leds for maximum lumen's output

im interested in gettin the mtecv4 e90 AE.....is it reallly that much brighter than the v3? do u suggest i switch up from my stock xenon to the 6000k? will i reallly see that much difference in color between the stock and the 6000k? also is the v4 more of a blue than the v3? im def getting the v3 or v4 its all going to come down to your reccomendation rn! cant wait to install and post some pics! just been hereing so many good things about the v3 and the v4 is so new was wondering if i was safer with the older more proven v3. your opinion will have the final say....sorrry for bombarding you with soo many questions at once but i just want to get this right the first time....thanks a bunch
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 05:34 AM   #725
mooj9
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 320d (184hp)

Any way to keep the DRL's on while the headlights (xenon's) are on?

I have the GP Thunders but not impressed!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #726
bmpel
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 325i msport

whats the best headlights to get and were please and i like the nice bright rings
Appreciate 0