Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Do I need new tires? (after track day)

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-07-2019, 02:06 AM   #1
kylet101
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Do I need new tires? (after track day)

Hi all,

I (stupidly?) decided to track my car with some P Zero All Seasons, and they have taken a beating. It's not good since these tires are only 18 months old.

Will this tread affect the daily driving safety/performance of my car? I'm debating if I need new tires, my service station seems to think so.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Kyle

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 07:09 PM   #2
Donutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Hard to tell from the pics since we can't see the whole tire. From what I can see they should be fine for use on the street. Yeah they're munched up, but I can't see any damage going deeper than the tread block. Like I said though, hard to say without seeing the whole tire, and even with better pics difficult to assess the damage over the interwebs.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 11:15 PM   #3
therealdwolf
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

They should be fine for street use, though I personally would invest in some new tires for upcoming track days
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 12:29 AM   #4
kylet101
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

I honestly can't feel anything in the steering and even in the recent rain it felt fine. It looks munched up, but I can't see how it's a problem. It seems like my shop is trying to sell me new tires.

Thanks for the replies! And yes, I'm looking at a set of wheels for track use. These tires were to get me to Mammoth Mountain in the winter
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 08:57 AM   #5
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Yeah should be fine for street, none of the break away spots are deeper than the actual tread block. Even if you had expensive grippy track tires unless you invest in camber plates you'll get this exaggerated wear in this area when pushing your car to the limits on the track. My first track day without camber plates my Michelin PSS looked like someone took a belt sander to the sidewall. I had proper inflation but not enough camber so the track ate them up pretty bad. Sure was fun though! lol
Appreciate 0