E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > E90 GM1912 flash error

03-27-2017, 11:42 AM   #1
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

E90 GM1912 flash error

Hi guys. I'm going to do my best to stay concise about what occurred and what my issues are.

Action taken - Update GM1912 module using WINKFP comfort mode. Insert VIN, choose update, choose module, flash.

- First action completes quickly.
- Second action takes about 25 minutes over OBD cable, but eventually hits 100%.
- Gongs/dings from the car along with a bunch of warning lights.
- WINKFP says ERROR 211
--- CODE 2089 - PABD - switching programming mode failed. 11GM1912.DIAGNOSE_MODE (ECUPM): ERROR_ECU_SECURITY_ACCESS_DENIED__SECURITY_ACCESS_ REQUESTED
--- CODE 2086 - PABD - signature check failed 11GM1912, FLASH SIGNATUR_PRUEFEN (Programm;60): ERROR_FLASH_SIGNATURE_CHECK
--- CODE 2086 - ERROR - Signature check failed SG_PROGRAMMIEREN
--- CODE 2086 - ERROR - Signature check failed

After receiving these codes, the car still starts but the transmission will not shift from park.

INPA says under PRIGRAMMIERSTATUS LESEN
ADR - 18
Grobname - EGS
JobStatus - OKAY
Status - 5
Status Text - Signaturprufung PAF not performed

Okay, so I'm stuck in status mode 5, so this is not correct. Tool32 fails on signature check.

Check out INPA on IDENTIFIKATION LESEN

FIRST noted - DME says ERROR_ECU_REQUEST_CORRECTLY_RECEIVED__RESPONSE_PEN DING

then
ADR - 18
Grobname - EGS
Jobstatus - OKAY
SGBD - *Blank*
Gruppe - *Blank*
Teile-NR - yyy******
VarI - FFFF
DiaI - FFFF
CoI - 255
HwI - 001
SW-Nr FSV - 255.255.255
SW-Nr OSV- 255.255.255
SW-Nr MCV- 255.255.255
SW-Nr res - 255.255.255
DATUM - 17.12.2007
Lieferant - GMPT
Name - *Blank*

I am using ZB - 7585087

ZIF backup says
ECU Identifier - 048
Project - pRZ0S
Program Version - 440R
BMW Hardware Number - 7568553
Status - 34

ZIF currently says
ECU Identifier - yyy
Project - yyyyy
Program Version - yyyy
BMW Hardware Number - yyy*****
Status - FF

Every attempt to reflash results in the same failure using WINKFP.

Moved to ISTA/P, though reluctant because I'm using OBD cable not ICOM. I run a "replace module" program and wait a hour and still receive failure. ISTA updates a few other modules and codes them correctly, though.

I am hoping I am not past the point of no return on this guy. The original intention was to update the module using WINKFP in hopes of a little bit better shifting. I bit off a little more than I could chew, but WINKFP seemed to be pretty user friendly with the updating of the module, especially considering it took my VIN and found an update for the module and programmed right off the bat.

I've already ordered an ICOM cable because flashing this thing takes a bit too long for my comfort via the OBD cable I have and I'm hoping to update a few other modules moving forward.

EDIT - Problem solved

Using the new BimmerGeeks cable with the "updated firmware" see post 17

Last edited by anjuna; 03-31-2017 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 07:51 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Do you have access to an ICOM?
Appreciate 1
anjuna306.50
      03-28-2017, 09:10 AM   #3
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Do you have access to an ICOM?
ICOM cable is en route. I had no need for it before this. It should arrive by the end of the week.

The X3 is taking up DD duty in the meantime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGeeks View Post
Post an image your winkfp configuration here.
here's a picture of my WINKFP configuration.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 12:25 PM   #4
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Try checking fast baudrate & disable force programming in comfort.

You've already wrote the OPA, you just need the ODA written.
Will do.

Can you expand on the OPA/ODA piece? I am very new to winkfp and did not find any information talking about these two bits when searching.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 08:12 PM   #5
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

Might be running into that D-CAN firmware bug. We know MSS6x consistently fails to flash, as does the SMG3 in the M5, and the GWS modules in the various cars. GM1912 might be another one to add to the list.

Your error message is basically saying the RSA check on the program failed. Strongly suggests some bytes are being transferred incorrectly.
Appreciate 1
anjuna306.50
      03-29-2017, 09:29 AM   #6
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraphantm View Post
Might be running into that D-CAN firmware bug. We know MSS6x consistently fails to flash, as does the SMG3 in the M5, and the GWS modules in the various cars. GM1912 might be another one to add to the list.

Your error message is basically saying the RSA check on the program failed. Strongly suggests some bytes are being transferred incorrectly.
Then it sounds like, to eliminate any confusion and useless effort, I should get a proper cable with the proper firmware. I've got ICOM on the way, that shouldn't have this issue, right?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 10:21 AM   #7
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

ICOM should work fine. And bimmergeeks' cables with the improved firmware should also work.
Appreciate 1
anjuna306.50
      03-29-2017, 11:27 AM   #8
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well on a side note, I killed the car when programming using ISTA/P.

Had the car plugged in with a 10A charger on it. Figured it would be enough. It was not.

Updated all modules using KDCAN cable over night. Per the log, I started at 11pm and the car finally died at 3am. All the critical modules (DME mainly) were flashed and programmed correctly.

Picked up a 12.5v 40A power supply and will be checking again tonight after charging the battery from 8am yesterday to ~9pm tonight (or whenever my son decides to go to sleep).

Quote:
Well, we can fix that!
I tried to send you a PM but it seems like the board is having some issues.

"Hey there,

Thanks for your feedback regarding the GM1912 flashing issue.

To make sure I get the best quality result and help support you, I'd like to get one of your newest pro cables.

How much would it cost to get this cable delivered by Friday to Houston, TX 77073

Please PM me for full address, let me know how much, and how I can pay!

Thanks again"
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 07:37 PM   #9
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Using ISTA-P with a icom emulator isn't safe...

It's probably best to start re-flashing modules individually with winkfp once you get your cable.
Will do.

Taking one last stab at it now using the settings you suggested and the "everybody's favorite 100 dollar OBD cable" to see if there is any difference in the result.

The car doesn't move right now, so worst case scenario, i have a car that still doesn't move. Best case scenario, it works.

At this point i'm willing to change the transmission out for a couple hundred bucks. ICOM + shit cable + 100 dollar cable + your cable puts me in transmission territory lol.

Oh well. It's all about a learning experience and I will well document my results here to help the next person in need and share wisdom with others here as well.

Thank you for the support so far!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 06:03 PM   #10
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Problem solved

Using the new BimmerGeeks cable with the "updated firmware"

No changes from the suggested BimmerGeeks WinFKP settings were changed. I proceeded like documented in the first post. Instead of being treated with a "error 211" fault, I was just intoduced to another flash confirmation box.

Thank you all for your efforts in this issue. We now know that the GM1912 module suffers from failure under the old firmware bug.

I still have a few error lights on the cluster, but I can now actually shift the transmission and the EGS shows up as "OKAY" and status 1.

With this proper and great cable, I will be going through one by one and documenting the progress so we can all learn from my issues.

Big ups again to BG for a great product and better customer support.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2017, 08:41 PM   #11
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well after a few hours using the BimmerGeeks pro cable, I am in a really good place.

That's right, all modules updated via WinKFP with VIN, the car starts and shifts, and everything is right and proper again with coding.

Thanks to all who helped. Hopefully this guide will help someone else who stumbles upon it.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2017, 09:11 AM   #12
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

Very cool. Sure seems like these cables can be used in most, if not all, places where ICOM would have been necessary otherwise.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2017, 12:18 PM   #13
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I see you also flashed you modules on the most bus with the pro-cable. This is something we didn't test, not sure if we would advise it to future customers, but how long did your radio & mostGW take to flash?
the module that took the longest was the TEL module, coming in at about a hour and showing WinKFP as being "not responsive" although the progress counter continued to climb in the background. i left it as is and it finished the flash successfully.

I know you had mentioned not to flash them when we spoke on the phone, but they had already been flashed by "everyone's favorite hundred dollar cable" and i was worried about any miswrites.

To be clear, just as you pointed out not testing/suggesting, this is definitely not for the weak hearted. this entire saga was just under a week of frustrating, hair pulling, last ditch effort making hell. i don't suggest anyone else to do it if your car runs just fine (as mine did) and you just wanna "update"

Quote:
Very cool. Sure seems like these cables can be used in most, if not all, places where ICOM would have been necessary otherwise.
I can't comment on the technical side of this, but i do know in my many hours of troubleshooting and google-fu, literally every problem i came across was always solved by ICOM. I even considered driving it down to the dealer and bending over. However with the pro cable, that's not the case!

I may order an extra just to have a backup.....
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 08:21 PM   #14
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did updating the trans remedy what you hoped for or were you just wanting to update it?
I can't say it did what wanted it to or not, but i did notice that it behaves differently. It is not an "adaptation reset" level of difference.

It shifts more economically when it should
It shifts more aggressively when it should
Torque converter lockup behavior is different

It doesn't drive "better" or "worse" but just different.

overall though, i am pleased with the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 08:42 PM   #15
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuna View Post
I can't say it did what wanted it to or not, but i did notice that it behaves differently. It is not an "adaptation reset" level of difference.

It shifts more economically when it should
It shifts more aggressively when it should
Torque converter lockup behavior is different

It doesn't drive "better" or "worse" but just different.

overall though, i am pleased with the outcome.
Might also be worth trying the Euro 330i software (ZB# 7620353), especially if you do a 3-stage manifold retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 02:11 PM   #16
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Might also be worth trying the Euro 330i software (ZB# 7620353), especially if you do a 3-stage manifold retrofit.
is this a GM trans?

I will try this out, as i do have a 3 stage manifold.
still waiting on that OE 330i DME stuff too 😉
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 02:21 PM   #17
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuna View Post
is this a GM trans?

I will try this out, as i do have a 3 stage manifold.
still waiting on that OE 330i DME stuff too 😉
Yes, it's a GM transmission.

Hass' site isn't ready, but since you have the cable, I could probably send over the files to do the 3-stage flash.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 02:38 PM   #18
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Hass' site isn't ready, but since you have the cable, I could probably send over the files to do the 3-stage flash.
I would love that!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 07:45 PM   #19
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

the BAT file failed.

running the v4 VM floating around on the coding forums using VMWare. actual error was "Not enough space to complete the command"

Did not continue further.

Also, tried loading the 330i flash through WinKFP and got a "not the same hardware" error and stopped there. I don't want a repeat of this past week and i don't know enough about what i'm doing to effectively do it.

Thanks for the help so far!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 07:53 PM   #20
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

Odd, mechatronics is the same part number, software should be compatible. Maybe there are some revisions. I'll look. Maybe I accidentally highlighted the wrong ZB when copying/pasting.

Regarding the bat file - I don't know how that VM is setup, but I guess we can have you do things manually instead of automating it. Are things not installed on the C: drive with your VM?

Copy the 0PA and 0DA to the the EC-APPS\NFS\DATA\DEVELOP folder

Launch WinKFP, pick Expert Mode.
For P-SGBD, pick 12MSV80.prg.
For PABD, pick 12MSV80.ipo.
For ECU Address, enter 12
For Data, pick the 0da you copied over
For Program, pick the 0pa you copied over
Hit Done.
Click "Prog. Program" - let that finish
Click "Prog. Data" - let that finish (should be much quicker).

DME should be on the revised software

Last edited by Terraphantm; 04-05-2017 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 08:06 PM   #21
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep

Okay looks like there may have been another revision of the GM1912 launched at some point that is indeed different hardware despite being called a GM1912.

7587776 should be a 330i transmission flash that corresponds to your current hardware version (so the flash should take a minute or less as long as you don't have "Force Program Programming" enabled in the options setting)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 05:38 PM   #22
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haha, got "flashers-fright" now?
haha absolutely!

Quote:
Okay looks like there may have been another revision of the GM1912 launched at some point that is indeed different hardware despite being called a GM1912.

7587776 should be a 330i transmission flash that corresponds to your current hardware version (so the flash should take a minute or less as long as you don't have "Force Program Programming" enabled in the options setting)
Thanks for this! it started the flash now. just waiting in the texas heat for it to finish up. not a minute long flash 😂
Appreciate 0