E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > HPFP or ECU issue?

11-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
cincy335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saph 335i coupe 6mt

HPFP or ECU issue?

Okay, so I have yet to see or hear about anything like this happening to anyone else. Last night I was attempting to update the firmware via the PROcede (updating to firmware version 145 and new 11-2 maps). During the firmware update process a message popped up saying that the firmware update failed at about 42% of update. I attempted multiple times to install firmware, but it would not allow me to go online at that point. I disconnected my laptop and turned the car off. Before I get flamed, I have uploaded new firmware and maps on many occasions and this is the first time anything like this has happened.

Anyways, I let the car sit for a few minutes and then went to start it up without reattempting to update anything. When I pressed the ignition button the car cranked for like 5-6 seconds and then started, sputtered, rpms's up and down. I tried to press the gas, the car just kept sputtering then died. Tried to start again, the same thing happened. After multiple attempts at one point it was running for like 20 seconds then sputtered then crapped out.

Finally I decided to try to unplug the battery and let the ECU hard reset and maybe that would help? Before doing this I scanned the car for codes and had multiple Fuel Pump codes and lots of others. Tried to clear these codes and some of them would not go away, while others did, then they would reappear, that is when I decided to unplug the battery.

After letting the car sit with the battery unplugged for like 10 minutes I reattached the battery and tried to start the car. It started up pretty much like normal, but did have a slight shaking. After the rpm's settled down it idled as normal. Stopped the car and started again, again no problems. Let the car sit overnight and cold start this morning and it started right up, ran for 5 minutes and again no problem other than a slight shake (but that has happened in the past at times).

So is it my HPFP or was it a symptom of the ECU locking up while attempting to update the firmware? I did notice the I got the "three buzzes" that have been discussed when this was all happening upon turning the car off. Now that the battery was unplugged and started okay, no "3 buzzes" (coming from the engine bay, this had been discussed in another thread, but never a solution or prognosis)?

Any similar experiences, advice, etc. would be appreciated. I plan on taking the car in, but that means I have to take PROcede, CAI, Charge pipe and DV's out, so it is just a PITA. If it was just the ECU issue throwing the codes and causing the car to go crazy then I don't need to undo everything and waste my time and the stealership's, just for them to look for something to give me grief over.

Thanks.

Performance |PROcede V5|Stett CAI|UUC/Corsa Exhaust|AA Intercooler|RPI Scoops|Stett Charge Pipe w/Forge DV's|UUC Evo3 SSK/DSSR|Mod CDV Style |Aero Lip|Aero rear|Aero Spoiler|M-Tech Side Skirts|Black Calipers|Black Grille|Black Shadow emblem|Black Vinyl Wrapped Window Trim|35%Tint|Tinted Tails|Style 230 19"rims|Lux H8'sTech |Nav|Cold Weather|Premium|Comfort Access|Sport|
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
kentgbr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy335i View Post
Okay, so I have yet to see or hear about anything like this happening to anyone else. Last night I was attempting to update the firmware via the PROcede (updating to firmware version 145 and new 11-2 maps). During the firmware update process a message popped up saying that the firmware update failed at about 42% of update. I attempted multiple times to install firmware, but it would not allow me to go online at that point. I disconnected my laptop and turned the car off. Before I get flamed, I have uploaded new firmware and maps on many occasions and this is the first time anything like this has happened.

Anyways, I let the car sit for a few minutes and then went to start it up without reattempting to update anything. When I pressed the ignition button the car cranked for like 5-6 seconds and then started, sputtered, rpms's up and down. I tried to press the gas, the car just kept sputtering then died. Tried to start again, the same thing happened. After multiple attempts at one point it was running for like 20 seconds then sputtered then crapped out.

Finally I decided to try to unplug the battery and let the ECU hard reset and maybe that would help? Before doing this I scanned the car for codes and had multiple Fuel Pump codes and lots of others. Tried to clear these codes and some of them would not go away, while others did, then they would reappear, that is when I decided to unplug the battery.

After letting the car sit with the battery unplugged for like 10 minutes I reattached the battery and tried to start the car. It started up pretty much like normal, but did have a slight shaking. After the rpm's settled down it idled as normal. Stopped the car and started again, again no problems. Let the car sit overnight and cold start this morning and it started right up, ran for 5 minutes and again no problem other than a slight shake (but that has happened in the past at times).

So is it my HPFP or was it a symptom of the ECU locking up while attempting to update the firmware? I did notice the I got the "three buzzes" that have been discussed when this was all happening upon turning the car off. Now that the battery was unplugged and started okay, no "3 buzzes" (coming from the engine bay, this had been discussed in another thread, but never a solution or prognosis)?

Any similar experiences, advice, etc. would be appreciated. I plan on taking the car in, but that means I have to take PROcede, CAI, Charge pipe and DV's out, so it is just a PITA. If it was just the ECU issue throwing the codes and causing the car to go crazy then I don't need to undo everything and waste my time and the stealership's, just for them to look for something to give me grief over.

Thanks.

You should complete the PROcede firmware update process before concluding there's a problem with your car. Sometimes a glitch can occur and the process fails.

I recently had an update hang up and fail to complete. At that point I kept getting an unable to open COM message no matter how many times I turned the car's power on and off.

I was about to pull the PROcede but tried re-booting my laptop first. This worked and the PROcede re-established communication with the computer. Without the normal go online step it immediately gave a message that it was in boot mode and requested a firmware update. After the update was complete everything was normal again. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
cincy335i
Lieutenant
Rep

I did the same thing, and was getting all of the same errors as you mentioned. Everytime I thought it had uploaded the new firmware, it would say that the ECU was restarting but nothing, it would just sit (I let it sit for over 10 minutes) and not ever do anything. Then I would hit the ok button and it would not again let me do anything, again having to restart (it would go online, it wouldn't find com4, it wouldn't even display the firmware version when I attempted to display the firmware info). I haven't attemted a reinstall since unplugging the car's battery.

Would the ECU locking up during a firmware update and failure cause the fuel pump to go haywire and the car to act in this manner? It was crazy. Reduced engine power lights, and then that buzzing sound when you would turn the car off, three distinct buzzes, never before. Codes galore, but multiple HPFP codes, but during the day yesterday no issues, and have never had any like this.

Thanks for the help.
Performance |PROcede V5|Stett CAI|UUC/Corsa Exhaust|AA Intercooler|RPI Scoops|Stett Charge Pipe w/Forge DV's|UUC Evo3 SSK/DSSR|Mod CDV Style |Aero Lip|Aero rear|Aero Spoiler|M-Tech Side Skirts|Black Calipers|Black Grille|Black Shadow emblem|Black Vinyl Wrapped Window Trim|35%Tint|Tinted Tails|Style 230 19"rims|Lux H8'sTech |Nav|Cold Weather|Premium|Comfort Access|Sport|
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
kentgbr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy335i View Post
I did the same thing, and was getting all of the same errors as you mentioned. Everytime I thought it had uploaded the new firmware, it would say that the ECU was restarting but nothing, it would just sit (I let it sit for over 10 minutes) and not ever do anything. Then I would hit the ok button and it would not again let me do anything, again having to restart (it would go online, it wouldn't find com4, it wouldn't even display the firmware version when I attempted to display the firmware info). I haven't attemted a reinstall since unplugging the car's battery.

Would the ECU locking up during a firmware update and failure cause the fuel pump to go haywire and the car to act in this manner? It was crazy. Reduced engine power lights, and then that buzzing sound when you would turn the car off, three distinct buzzes, never before. Codes galore, but multiple HPFP codes, but during the day yesterday no issues, and have never had any like this.

Thanks for the help.
There's no way your car is going to run properly when the PROcede has no firmware loaded. Were you able to get it into boot mode?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
cincy335i
Lieutenant
Rep

nope, but I will try today at lunchtime to see if I can.

Today when I started the car after I reconnected the battery the dash light lfashed once indicating map 1, so I was thinking that it should have some sort of firmware loaded in order to recognize the map, no?

Thank you for your help...I will let you know how it goes shortly.

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

if the procede froze on firmware update, the car will not run right at all even though you unhooked the battery, it still won't make it run right until you get the procede to load the firmware correctly...running the car is not a good idea until you get the firmware done correctly
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 11:39 AM   #7
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
+1
The car wont run right (if at all) if the PROcede has incomplete firmware loaded into it. Just update it again and make sure the process completes (goes to 100% and resets automatically). If you are using a Windows 64 computer, make sure it's on max performance mode (or plugged into a wall) or else they have been known to drop comm ports randomly.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 11:40 AM   #8
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

to make sure...Take the PROcede out and see if the car starts up fine...if it does than it's 100% the firmware loading issue. Also if you have access to another laptop, try using that as I have one laptop that seems to hold the connection with the Procede better than another.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #9
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: stock

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...53&postcount=1

How to: Remove PROcede from boot mode...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had a few people whose PROcede has gone into boot mode after trying to update their firmware. This can happen for a number of reasons, like a laptop dying in the middle of the firmware update. Getting everything back to normal is quite simple.

When you try to connect to the procede after a failed firmware update, the software will say "Procede in boot mode, please update firmware."

1. Go into comms> Firmware update, and update the firmware the same as you would otherwise.
2. At the end of the firmware update, the Procede will be stuck in the reset, and will not go online. So we need to manually reset the procede. To do this, shut down the Procede software, as well as the power to the procede (turn the car off). Leave the power off for at least 1 minute.
3. Turn the car back to the on postion, and restart the software.

With this done, you should be able to connect to the procede, as you normally would. Although in the process of doing this, you have cleared all of the firmware and maps from the unit, so you will need to update the firmware one last time. So long as that goes through, you can update your map, and be on your merry way.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #10
cincy335i
Lieutenant
Rep

okay, did everything the way you guys said and everything went through great. After the update, I loaded the maps and then shut it all down. Started the car and it seemed to start and run normal. The whole process really freaked me out, as I had no prior signs of HPFP failure, but I couldn't believe that the firware update wouldn't go through and it seemed as everything with the ECU locked up?!? I tried to start the car to see if in doing that it would force the ECU on and thus upon turning it off allow me to update the firmware. Guess I was WAY wrong! Now I know what a FP failure feels like...wow, hope that never happens when I am driving. The car was a "hot mess!"

Now I have new codes 2e84 and 2e8e, this is funny because I noticed my car was getting hotter than it had been previously, and both of these codes relate in some way I think to the cooling system...maybe this issue with the ECU and the car just brought this to light, because these codes weren't there before. Maybe it was in the process of failing and when this happened it just killed it?!? So I guess it is off to the stealership anyways.

Thanks for all your help! Hopefully that fixes it and if it ever happens again I and others will know what to do. I think disconnecting the battery helped, but maybe that is just my imagination?!? Thanks again!

ps - when I uploaded the firmware and then it was stuck in reset mode. I did shut it all down and let the car sit, came back, tried to go online and again nothing?!?! Again it wouldn't allow me to connect giving me the comm4 error?!? Anyways, that was last night before the battery disconnect, today...worked like a charm. Just an FYI.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #11
JerzeySux
UrMother
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 335xiE92

I had the same issue and going to give it a try two when shiv response to my PM question.

Did the RPM happen to go up and down from 0~3k rpm and would just stall and turn off?
Did you have to have the rpm up to not let it stall?
This happened to me as well. I took out the procede and it was still happeneing.
Than i resetted all the codes and it was running fine.

SAme issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #12
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have had similar things happen on a few rare occasions (out of literally hundreds... probably thousands of firmware upgrades I have done). It does seem to be somewhat dependant on the laptop that you are using. My personal laptop has never done it and has been used most of the time.

There are a few key things to note:

* If the firmware has a failed write during an upgrade, it will abort. This will leave the Procede in a state where it does not have required firmware installed, and will render the Procede unable to run the engine as normal. I would not recommend starting the engine in this situation, as the DME will be running without access to many of the signals it normally sees.

* If this occurs, shutdown the Procede software, and turn the DME off for a minute to reset everything. Then turn on DME (start button until yellow dash lights), and start Procede software and go online. It should come up with a message saying the Procede is in boot mode. Perform a firmware upgrade in the normal fashion (select from comms menu the upgrade firmware option and select file and then start upgrade). When the upgrade is complete, it will state it is resetting the Procede, but will never come out of reset. This seems to be a by-product of the software being started with the Procede in boot mode. At this point, shut down DME again and shut down Procede software. Then restart DME and restart Procede software. Everything should be back to normal.

* If you do a firmware upgrade out of boot mode, there is not need to do another firmware upgrade. Simply check the firmware version from the comms menu option, and it should verify that the firmware version you loaded is indeed present. There is no need to upgrade again to the same version.

* None of the above will have any effect on the maps loaded. There is no need to reload maps if you already have the maps you wanted in. The maps are completely seperate to the firmware, and are not effected in any way by the firmware upgrade process. Of course if the new firmware requires new maps and you have not done this yet, then go ahead and do it.

* If the Procede software does not go online when you attempt to do so. Check for issues such as cable not connected, DME not on (yellows), Laptop has shut down USB driver due to hibernation etc. It seems that the serial driver used by the Procede has a limitted number of failed attempts to open a com port after which it will come up with a com port error error which can only be reset by shutting down the software and restarting it (and I have had it require a full laptop boot to recover). Note that this will not happen if you refrain from keeping on trying to go online without rectifying the problem.

* I have never had a Procede that could not be recovered in a minute or two from a failed firmware upgrade, however without knowing the above, a user may become confused by com port errors and lengthy periods of "resetting" etc. The Procede has been designed to be recoverable from power loss or communications loss mid firmware upgrade. It enters boot mode if the firmware upgrade fails for any reason, and can be recovered from boot mode using the method above without removing the Procede or anything else.

I doubt there is any issue with the fuel pump or anything else in the car above. I would just reset all codes and I bet they will not come back and are only a result of the engine being started while the Procede had no firmware installed.

Adrian
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #13
cincy335i
Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you Adrian!!! I did exactly that and now everything seems to be back to normal...but WOW I was scared for a period of time! I am glad that I am not the only one this has happened too, but it is good to know that I and others should now know how to solve this. Car is running as good as before...if not better with the new maps and firmware.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers
Appreciate 0