E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Review: Supercharger for N52 *updated with custom map

06-01-2017, 06:48 AM   #45
e90dum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 328i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorB View Post
Looks like its underpowered, as Has has mentioned, 330 numbers should be 225 at the wheels, you should be 300 at the wheels. In this case being fi, would a single intake be better? If you ran some e85,your iat temps should go down, these kits really need headers and a good tune, I would imagine 300 would be a good jump for 5k.
Isn't there a problem with this kit + catless headers? Or is that just because ess can't tune a car
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 08:19 AM   #46
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90dum View Post
Isn't there a problem with this kit + catless headers? Or is that just because ess can't tune a car
Savagery!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 10:10 AM   #47
JuniorB
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 N54

They say it won't make anymore power, headers on any car will make more power. It may because they make there kits 100% emmision legal. Its the same with downpipes. There are fbo n52 cars out there making 250 rwh.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 12:04 PM   #48
Cdutch513
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 BMW 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
They say it won't make anymore power, headers on any car will make more power. It may because they make there kits 100% emmision legal. Its the same with downpipes. There are fbo n52 cars out there making 250 rwh.
They do not say it makes no power. The Catless headers o2 position screwed up feedback and was making the car run like shit. They are modding stock headers now and removing cats and getting more power with SC.
      06-01-2017, 04:30 PM   #49
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdutch513 View Post
They do not say it makes no power. The Catless headers o2 position screwed up feedback and was making the car run like shit. They are modding stock headers now and removing cats and getting more power with SC.
Precisely what they told me when I inquired about a kit, months ago.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 08:25 PM   #50
Kubricks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 130i M/T

Quote:
I cannot believe not being able to rev match with the ESS supercharger is considered normal by them. When i installed my 3 stage im i forgot to plug something in and had this problem and I swear it was the most infuriating hour of driving in my life.
This is something which no sense to me from the start.
If they have sold 100+ kits as they claimed, how come no one complained about this important issue and a fix wasn't develop immediately? Let's assume they are ALL automatic cars, there would surely be a few left foot braker right? How can any one drive a manual car without rev match?

Anyway, I got that sorted so it's behind me now.
      06-01-2017, 08:29 PM   #51
Kubricks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
There is no readily available AA header for RHD N52. I have seen 2 cases of RHD N52 with arma catless header and the owner claim the power increase is minimal and that they will not do it again.
I decided not to go that route.

Quote:
Looks like its underpowered, as Has has mentioned, 330 numbers should be 225 at the wheels, you should be 300 at the wheels. In this case being fi, would a single intake be better? If you ran some e85,your iat temps should go down, these kits really need headers and a good tune, I would imagine 300 would be a good jump for 5k.
The thing is.... I do not want 300whp on my 130i.
Yes it may sounded funny given I have invested in an SC, but what I want is something like a 40hp increase from stock and that's approx what I get.
The car is my DD. I use it for school runs, drive to work, meet my client and all that, so a setup that utilizes only fraction of its capacity has its merit.

About the E85 suggestion, I was actually thinking about that last night. I may install one and have it activite from 5000rpm, which might reduce the stress on the motor?

The top priority now would be to sort out that torque dip at 4000rpm. Horsepower wise I am happy as it is right now. I am not even considering a smaller pulley to add boost.

Last edited by Kubricks; 06-01-2017 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 08:32 PM   #52
Cdutch513
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubricks View Post
Quote:
I cannot believe not being able to rev match with the ESS supercharger is considered normal by them. When i installed my 3 stage im i forgot to plug something in and had this problem and I swear it was the most infuriating hour of driving in my life.
This is something which no sense to me from the start.
If they have sold 100+ kits as they claimed, how come no one complained about this important issue and a fix wasn't develop immediately? Let's assume they are ALL automatic cars, there would surely be a few left foot braker right? How can any one drive a manual car without rev match?

Anyway, I got that sorted so it's behind me now.
I have never used the brake and gas at the same time haha. To rev match I brake then let off quickly clutch gas let out clutch and return to braking. How do you do all three at once lol
      06-01-2017, 09:01 PM   #53
Kubricks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I have never used the brake and gas at the same time haha. To rev match I brake then let off quickly clutch gas let out clutch and return to braking. How do you do all three at once lol
Like this?

It's easy, making downshifting smoother and .... it's just more satisfying?
You can use it on your DD, not just on race track.
      06-01-2017, 09:06 PM   #54
Cdutch513
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 328I  [0.00]
So with the throttle pushing down from the top how do you personally do it?
      06-01-2017, 09:16 PM   #55
Kubricks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So with the throttle pushing down from the top how do you personally do it?
What? Regardless of throttle arrangement you just heel and toe the same way.
I did just the same way as the diagram shown on my previous post, on my BMW, on my previous S2000 and on the track cars I rent.

(Why are we discussing heel and toe here lol? This is suppose to be for the SC.)
      06-02-2017, 08:44 AM   #56
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

I usually use my little toe to push the gas rather than the heel of my foot, but I also have a foot injury that prevents that sort of motion. Lots of people do it that way though - it doesn't really matter how you do it, the point is you are rev matching instead of just slamming it into gear. I'm not even sure how you downshift without rev matching - hopefully you're not just coasting in neutral, or using the clutch like a brake pedal..

Kubricks - because previously, you couldn't do it on an ESS supercharged N52.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #57
Cdutch513
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
I usually use my little toe to push the gas rather than the heel of my foot, but I also have a foot injury that prevents that sort of motion. Lots of people do it that way though - it doesn't really matter how you do it, the point is you are rev matching instead of just slamming it into gear. I'm not even sure how you downshift without rev matching - hopefully you're not just coasting in neutral, or using the clutch like a brake pedal..

I explained how I did it. I come up to a turn, start braking, release, clutch, shift, rev match, then continue braking. Takes me about half a second to do it. Never really thought about doing brake and gas together.
Back when I first had my car I was using the clutch as a brake and letting the clutch slow me down. Didn't realize how wrong I was haha
      06-02-2017, 09:48 AM   #58
Kubricks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I explained how I did it. I come up to a turn, start braking, release, clutch, shift, rev match, then continue braking. Takes me about half a second to do it. Never really thought about doing brake and gas together.
Back when I first had my car I was using the clutch as a brake and letting the clutch slow me down. Didn't realize how wrong I was haha
please try it out lol, it's not hard, very useful and gives you tons of satisfaction when you get it right.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #59
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

ideally you'd rev match before you shift (or while you're moving the lever), the idea is you're aligning the synchros instead of forcing them to match speeds. If you're shifting, rev matching, and then releasing the clutch, you're not really doing it (although it's better than just cramming it into gear and letting out the clutch).

The E90 transmissions are super easy to shift though, I took my E30 out for a spin the other day and realized how lazy my shifts had gotten in the 330i - you *have* to rev match properly in that car, otherwise it's just not going to go into gear. lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 10:32 AM   #60
Terraphantm
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe

Quote:
ideally you'd rev match before you shift (or while you're moving the lever), the idea is you're aligning the synchros instead of forcing them to match speeds. If you're shifting, rev matching, and then releasing the clutch, you're not really doing it (although it's better than just cramming it into gear and letting out the clutch).

The E90 transmissions are super easy to shift though, I took my E30 out for a spin the other day and realized how lazy my shifts had gotten in the 330i - you *have* to rev match properly in that car, otherwise it's just not going to go into gear. lol.
If you're not double clutching you're not really matching the synchros anyway.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2017, 10:54 AM   #61
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:

Yeah I have to use my toe. Can't really move my foot properly to use my heel.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 11:09 AM   #62
LoLamgs88
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubricks View Post
Like this?

It's easy, making downshifting smoother and .... it's just more satisfying?
You can use it on your DD, not just on race track.
This is by far the best heel and toe vid I've seen on the net! Good find man!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 02:04 PM   #63
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terraphantm View Post
If you're not double clutching you're not really matching the synchros anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #64
Zajac1
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoLamgs88 View Post
This is by far the best heel and toe vid I've seen on the net! Good find man!
Damn U guys just made my day. Seriously the best video. Tomorrow morning I'm starting practice lol
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 06:43 PM   #65
JuniorB
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 e60 525 N54

Ah, yes rhd,does create some issue for the headers. Yes I know the history behind the sc from he beginning. I was just stating an opinion,and there tune is based on pump gas, therefore a fuel supplement would allow for higher octane and cooling. There is still very little testing out there, and very few tuners whose able to put this kit to its full potential.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 12:38 AM   #66
Kubricks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ah, yes rhd,does create some issue for the headers. Yes I know the history behind the sc from he beginning. I was just stating an opinion,and there tune is based on pump gas, therefore a fuel supplement would allow for higher octane and cooling. There is still very little testing out there, and very few tuners whose able to put this kit to its full potential.
Yes I got that.
I honestly don't mind if there is a proven N/A setup that can give an extra 40hp, I'd love to go that route too.

Anyway, I guess I have provided most of the information people wanted by now? Once I got time to do a 5~100mph pull video I will end the thread.