E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Help I'm brand new to the forums and having so problems with my car.

10-08-2018, 07:31 PM   #1
Tonkatoy
Rep
Drives: 2011 335I N55 convertible Red

Help I'm brand new to the forums and having so problems with my car.

Hey guys I'm looking for some help and knowledge. I have a 2011 BMW 335I Convertible N55 single turbo.

I have a afe cold air intake kit, a burgersmotorsports chargepipe, JB4, catless downpipe , Ngk spark plugs at .025 gap, and a intercooler. I had everything on it except new spark plugs and intercooler. the car was running amazing. then FridY put a intercooler and spark plugs and new coils. after this was done the car keeps going to half horse power and sputtering when I get on it. seems like when my boost goes up. not 100 percent shore though. any help would be much appreciated

Jeff
      10-08-2018, 07:36 PM   #2
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

What code(s) is your jb4 giving? Could be a few things like boost leak, connector not plugged in all the way, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 07:37 PM   #3
biz77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

What are the codes?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
Tonkatoy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
What are the codes?
[IMG]undefined[/IMG]

This is what came up. on Jb4.
Attached Images

10-08-2018, 07:46 PM   #5
Tonkatoy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy View Post
Quote:
What are the codes?
[IMG]undefined[/IMG]

This is what came up. on Jb4.
I was getting a miss fire code as well. I had spark plugs at .020. i then pushed them to .025. then that code stopped. the car runs great till I hit it. Then it malfunctions. I know its gonna happen because it starts hesitating and sputtering and then codes immediately out to half horse power . it seems like these codes all have to do with cooling. I guess I could put it on extreme cooling when I drive it.

Thank you guys for your Help
      10-08-2018, 09:15 PM   #6
Bullcitybmmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i e92 msport

Quote:
I was getting a miss fire code as well. I had spark plugs at .020. i then pushed them to .025. then that code stopped. the car runs great till I hit it. Then it malfunctions. I know its gonna happen because it starts hesitating and sputtering and then codes immediately out to half horse power . it seems like these codes all have to do with cooling. I guess I could put it on extreme cooling when I drive it.

The codes in the image you posted were all misfire codes. 2 of them specifically singled out cylinder 3, so it might be worth a shot to swap out the coil on that cylinder with another and see if the misfire follows the coil to the new cylinder. If it does, you know you've got a bad coil.

These engines are finicky sometimes, it's possible that your car doesn't like that set of NGK plugs. That's what happened the first time I tuned my car, guaranteed misfire at WOT until I just put in a new set of plugs. Interestingly enough, I've had better luck with the OEM Bosch plugs than anything else, so you may just have to play around until you find the winning combination of plugs and coils. It's times like these that companies like FCP Euro and their return policy really come in handy.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 09:36 PM   #7
Tonkatoy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullcitybmmer View Post
Quote:

The codes in the image you posted were all misfire codes. 2 of them specifically singled out cylinder 3, so it might be worth a shot to swap out the coil on that cylinder with another and see if the misfire follows the coil to the new cylinder. If it does, you know you've got a bad coil.

These engines are finicky sometimes, it's possible that your car doesn't like that set of NGK plugs. That's what happened the first time I tuned my car, guaranteed misfire at WOT until I just put in a new set of plugs. Interestingly enough, I've had better luck with the OEM Bosch plugs than anything else, so you may just have to play around until you find the winning combination of plugs and coils. It's times like these that companies like FCP Euro and their return policy really come in handy.
Thank you.
I will do that in the am tomorrow. swapping 3 and 2 around

I guess next time I'll do Bosch plugs in it.

thanks again Jeff
      10-09-2018, 07:07 AM   #8
Tonkatoy
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you.

thanks again Jeff
so now I'm getting a new code. I swapped out number 3 coil and seems to have fixed the half horse power. But now I'm getting this code and it ignores my jb4 at thg his time.

thanks for all your help again
Attached Images

10-09-2018, 09:21 AM   #9
Tonkatoy
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you.

thanks again Jeff
so now I'm getting a new code. I swapped out number 3 coil and seems to have fixed the half horse power. But now I'm getting this code and it ignores my jb4 at thg his time.

thanks for all your help again
just wanted to say thank you guys. it ended up being another coil as well. so two coils the car didn't like. Replaced both and it is running amazing. made sure my cold air intake didnt have any air leaks as well.

Thank you all again. I hope I can you one day
Jeff
      10-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #10
Bullcitybmmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i e92 msport

Quote:
just wanted to say thank you guys. it ended up being another coil as well. so two coils the car didn't like. Replaced both and it is running amazing. made sure my cold air intake didnt have any air leaks as well.

Thank you all again. I hope I can you one day
Jeff
Battles with coils and plugs are a staple of this platform. Glad to hear you got it sorted out.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #11
biz77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Battles with coils and plugs are a staple of this platform. Glad to hear you got it sorted out.
So much so that many of us keep a few spares tucked away in a drawer in the garage. Glad you got it resolved, OP.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #12
Tonkatoy
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So much so that many of us keep a few spares tucked away in a drawer in the garage. Glad you got it resolved, OP.
Thank you guys for all your help again. The car has its beast mode back. at least that's what I call it. my two new coils will be in Friday.