E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > How long have you had your engine tick?

10-20-2018, 03:56 AM   #45
CameroN7887
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Thillman View Post
I have 07 135k n51 never a problem with lifter tick 🤔 maybe because I use 0w-40 oil and drive the vehicle as if I was at the track haha. 🤣 talked to shop foreman @ local bmw while getting recalls and disa valve replaced for free😊 said the cars that usually have problems are mom's that only drive there vehicle a couple miles to the store and then turned off after short period of time and that these engines love to be driven and reved out.

Hate to jack the thread but how'd you get your disa valve replaced for free? I also have a 2008 n51 and have a weird rattle noise on cold days that I'm assuming is my disa valve but my SA says he wants to recreate the noise and it's impossible with my situation unfortunately, hoping they can test it and replace the manifold for free? TIA!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 05:15 PM   #46
R.Thillman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameroN7887 View Post
Hate to jack the thread but how'd you get your disa valve replaced for free? I also have a 2008 n51 and have a weird rattle noise on cold days that I'm assuming is my disa valve but my SA says he wants to recreate the noise and it's impossible with my situation unfortunately, hoping they can test it and replace the manifold for free? TIA!
First thing first you should scan your car see if you have a fault codes. They are covered under the sulev warranty I've gotten a good amount if parts changed prior. Make sure you have your fault codes either 2aab/2aac for proof if not then they won't cover it and you can get charged for diagnostics. Lastly if they say it's not covered and you have talked to there service warranty manager you call BMW NA and tell them the situation. The part list is here it's called intake manifold adjust (disa). Good luck

SULEV_PZEV_Emissions_Coverage.pdf (655.6 KB) - CenterNet
https://batxcr1.bmwcenternet.com › lib
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 10:21 AM   #47
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche959 View Post
for those of you cursed with the n52 tick. how long have you lived with it for? any super high mileage cars with the tick..that keeps on ticking?

EDIT: Asking about people that have ongoing lifter tick, even after warming up the engine, revving the engine, etc.
I've had the tick since I bought the car, it's now at 85,000 miles. runs like a champ and doesn't burn oil. Shifting under 3k rpm and takin it easy always provokes it. shift higher and it goes away.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 01:51 PM   #48
CameroN7887
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Thillman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CameroN7887 View Post
First thing first you should scan your car see if you have a fault codes. They are covered under the sulev warranty I've gotten a good amount if parts changed prior. Make sure you have your fault codes either 2aab/2aac for proof if not then they won't cover it and you can get charged for diagnostics. Lastly if they say it's not covered and you have talked to there service warranty manager you call BMW NA and tell them the situation. The part list is here it's called intake manifold adjust (disa). Good luck

SULEV_PZEV_Emissions_Coverage.pdf (655.6 KB) - CenterNet
https://batxcr1.bmwcenternet.com › lib

My SA actually replaced my ESS for me when I went in just to do some recalls when I asked him to check around the valvetronic area from a previous fault code and sure enough he found oil on the sensor with no fault codes and replaced it for me for free. I don't have any fault codes for the DISA but I'm hearing like a faint marbles in a can noise in cold temps coming from my intake on the other side of the dash so I thought my DISA valve would be stuck or making some noises
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2018, 09:29 AM   #49
e90dum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 328i manual

One oil change I replaced a quart of my oil with marvel mystery oil and the tick got quieter.

I bought the car at 100k miles and had it until 150k miles. The ticking actually went down over time that I owned the car. I think it was a combination of me redlining the engine all the time and I also followed a monetarily stupid oil change schedule(i think i changed the oil like every 4000 miles)

I had the newer n52n engine my car was a 2010