E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: The final Homelink retrofit guide

11-30-2016, 07:20 PM   #89
JayTriggy14
Associate Special Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
You'll need a INPA & NCS Expert setup.

There are a Version 3 Virtual Machine image, containing a ready to run setup of all of the programming software, floating about.

HINT: CLICK ME

That image can be mounted under VMWARE or Virtual box on a decent laptop to do coding with a USB - OBD2 cable.

There are also people on these forums that offer coding services.
Thank you! I am reading up on how to do it. It sounds like I need an ob2 cable. Just to recap I need to activate the autodim mirror function, as well as the compass in the VO? Thanks.
      11-30-2016, 08:56 PM   #90
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTriggy14 View Post
Thank you! I am reading up on how to do it. It sounds like I need an ob2 cable. Just to recap I need to activate the autodim mirror function, as well as the compass in the VO? Thanks.
Yes. But all this does is tell the car (VO holding modules) what hardware it has installed.

When you update the VO you must update both CAS and FRM with the new VO.

The affected modules will not reflect the change until they are "reset" to their defaults.

When this happens the modules will read the VO from the modules holding the VO (CAS and FRM) and use the info obtained to enable the mirror functions.

You do not want to reset the whole car (every module), only those that work in conjuntion with the mirror such as FRM, FZD & RLS.

The FRM talks to the FZD and the FZD talks to the RLS.

The mirror talks to the FZD and enables Autodim via what the FRM tells the FZD.

The RLS provides some of the light sensitivity signals the mirror needs for the autodim functions via the FZD.

Bear in mind that you can "brick" your car with the software.

You may want to obtain the cable, and see if you can get the VM running and INPA communicating.

Once you get that far, one of the experience coders can remotely make the changes for you and maybe offer some additional customizations.

That beats paying to have your car fixed. I approached all of this very cautiously and only used Carly for coding until I had a comfortable understanding of how this all worked and where I could possibly make a dire error.

Last edited by opjose; 11-30-2016 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2017, 09:51 AM   #91
Petya
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328xD 2011

I have just successfully retrofitted my e90 2011 328 (Canada) with homelink/eletrochromatic(auto dimming)/compass mirror.
I got mirror at eBay for just $ 60 and retrofit kit (61 12 0 434 330) at the official dealer for $35.

The original mirror had nothing, so I did not have any wires coming to the mirror. I had rain sensor and fog sensor, so I had some wires coming from roof function centre to the top of windshield through a rubber grommet.

To get the mirror working you basically need to connect just two wires - ground and ignition +. That's all. You may be able to do that without any retrofit kit, especially if you get a mirror together with the female connector. Some sellers just cut it off the cable without bothering to unplug it. You can use the contacts from that connector to tap into the connector at the roof function centre.
I am going to post a DIY with some wiring information once I am allowed at this forum (this is my first post)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 10:07 AM   #92
opjose
Major
Rep

There is a long DIY under the FLA retrofit topic.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 01:15 AM   #93
JayTriggy14
Associate Special Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Hey all, hate to bump an old thread again. I now have a 2013 335is with a clown nose standard mirror with no autodim, homelink, or compass. I bought a autodim, homelink, and compass mirror off of ebay. I also bought the ecs tuning retrofit harness. I correctly put in the correct pins for the mirror and the fzd via the instructions on the tischer pdf found in the thread. (I found that the car already had the red, grey, and brown/black wires installed in pins 8-10 on the mirror side). I did not use the brown wire since there was already the brown/black wire in pin 10. When I turn on the ignition I do not see the compass illuminated, the autodim does not work, or the homelink led is not flashing. However the alarm button still blinks when the car is locked. Am I missing something? Is it the mirror defunct? Any help would be amazing
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 05:57 AM   #94
sl8anic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i MT

I would triple check connector pinout, just to make sure that either the order (123 vs 321) or orientation (up vs down, if it's two rows) hasn't gotten messed up somehow. They are enumerated from a certain perspective, look for a dot or something that identifies pin 1. If you have a voltmeter - check the power.

I suppose a mirror could be blown but it's unlikely that all functions are gone...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #95
opjose
Major
Rep

If I recall correctly, when I did mine the compass did not light up until I VO coded the modules.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #96
JayTriggy14
Associate Special Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl8anic View Post
I would triple check connector pinout, just to make sure that either the order (123 vs 321) or orientation (up vs down, if it's two rows) hasn't gotten messed up somehow. They are enumerated from a certain perspective, look for a dot or something that identifies pin 1. If you have a voltmeter - check the power.

I suppose a mirror could be blown but it's unlikely that all functions are gone...
I will recheck the pin outs again. I went over them several times but it doesn't hurt to look at them again. I was reading somewhere that the brown wire isn't used since the mirror is already grounded. Do you think it is the FZD module? I've read somewhere that my car does not need to be coded for compass and homelink?
      06-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #97
opjose
Major
Rep

My original mirror had a compass, Homelink and auto dim.

The replacement did not light up the compass until I recoded.
At first I thought it was not working at all.

Auto dim must also be coded.

I don't know about Homelink needing to be coded before it will blink.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 12:47 PM   #98
JayTriggy14
Associate Special Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
My original mirror had a compass, Homelink and auto dim.

The replacement did not light up the compass until I recoded.
At first I thought it was not working at all.

Auto dim must also be coded.

I don't know about Homelink needing to be coded before it will blink.
Hey Opjose! My mirror was standard except for the clownose. Do you think coding the autodim will power on the other functions? Is there anyone in socal that can help me??
      06-21-2017, 12:57 PM   #99
opjose
Major
Rep

Coding will help determine if you have the communication and power part of your wiring correct.

If the mirror does not show up in the module list after VO coding the FRM then your wiring is off.

I thought I had mine wired incorrectly after my second try (it wasn't) when it did not light up.
After VO coding I could see the RLS and FLA so I knew it was ok... then the compass finally lit up.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 01:36 PM   #100
JayTriggy14
Associate Special Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Coding will help determine if you have the communication and power part of your wiring correct.

If the mirror does not show up in the module list after VO coding the FRM then your wiring is off.

I thought I had mine wired incorrectly after my second try (it wasn't) when it did not light up.
After VO coding I could see the RLS and FLA so I knew it was ok... then the compass finally lit up.
Oh I see so if the VO is coded then it should power on. From the previous discussions on the thread it doesn't sound like that was necessary? What is different? Is there someone local in Socal that can code VO's?
      06-22-2017, 07:30 PM   #101
sl8anic
Private
United_States
Rep

No coding should be necessary as far as I know since the mirror is self contained - it needs nothing more than power from the car since ambient light sensor is built into the mirror (compass and door openers just need power ). Alarm system blinker (clown nose) is standalone as well.

My 135is wasn't coded (same std mirror as yours), there's nothing to code really... I could be wrong of course, it's BMW we're talking about here.

Check power and pin orientation, simplest explanation, short of mirror being DOA.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 09:15 PM   #102
JayTriggy14
Associate Special Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
No coding should be necessary as far as I know since the mirror is self contained - it needs nothing more than power from the car since ambient light sensor is built into the mirror (compass and door openers just need power ). Alarm system blinker (clown nose) is standalone as well.

My 135is wasn't coded (same std mirror as yours), there's nothing to code really... I could be wrong of course, it's BMW we're talking about here.

Check power and pin orientation, simplest explanation, short of mirror being DOA.
Thats what I was thinking to but the mirror won't power on. I've heard of the fuse 28 being shorted? Im not sure why the mirror isnt powering on for whatever reason.
      06-22-2017, 09:29 PM   #103
sl8anic
Private
United_States
Rep

I just did a little digging and I see some conflicting info on whether coding is necessary or not. I have two copies of retrofit instructions and they say two different things (see attached). This thread appears to corroborate some dependency on coding: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=19689482.

BUT - the answer regarding coding I believe is here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=40. So in other words no coding should be necessary unless your car matches config described in the above mentioned post.

In parallel, see if you can get verification from whenever you got the mirror from that it was fully functional before they sent it to you.

Maybe one of the board members can stop by and let you plug your mirror into their harness (assuming of course they got the "plumbing" already and it works). I suppose maybe swinging by a dealership and ask them to do above verification is even better, if you got a friendly tech/service rep?

Quote:
Thats what I was thinking to but the mirror won't power on. I've heard of the fuse 28 being shorted? Im not sure why the mirror isnt powering on for whatever reason.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf EC mirror install (v1).pdf (1.28 MB, 777 views)
File Type: pdf EC mirror install (v2).pdf (940.2 KB, 399 views)

Last edited by sl8anic; 06-22-2017 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2017, 11:21 PM   #104
JayTriggy14
Associate Special Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
I just did a little digging and I see some conflicting info on whether coding is necessary or not. I have two copies of retrofit instructions and they say two different things (see attached). This thread appears to corroborate some dependency on coding: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=19689482.

BUT - the answer regarding coding I believe is here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=40. So in other words no coding should be necessary unless your car matches config described in the above mentioned post.

In parallel, see if you can get verification from whenever you got the mirror from that it was fully functional before they sent it to you.

Maybe one of the board members can stop by and let you plug your mirror into their harness (assuming of course they got the "plumbing" already and it works). I suppose maybe swinging by a dealership and ask them to do above verification is even better, if you got a friendly tech/service rep?
Thanks man I appreciate all of the help! I picked up the mirror on ebay so I am not entirely sure..the seller had high reviews. Ill make sure to reach out to some of the board members in socal. I can also stop by the dealer in the meantime. I am starting to think it maybe the mirror but I am not entirely sure. I will keep the thread updated.
      06-23-2017, 08:25 AM   #105
sl8anic
Private
United_States
Rep

No prob. Sometimes (what should've been) a simplest thing turn into a royal pain. I got a lil confused myself initially with all the pinout variants when I was retrofitting my car. It seems like you're not the only one with issues based on this whole thread

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, g'luck!

Quote:
Thanks man I appreciate all of the help! I picked up the mirror on ebay so I am not entirely sure..the seller had high reviews. Ill make sure to reach out to some of the board members in socal. I can also stop by the dealer in the meantime. I am starting to think it maybe the mirror but I am not entirely sure. I will keep the thread updated.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 12:27 PM   #106
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:

Good find.

It also explains why coding WAS necessary on my car for the mirror to turn on.

I have EC on all of the mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 05:16 PM   #107
JayTriggy14
Associate Special Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Good find.

Quick question what is EC? How do I see whether my mirrors have EC? I am trying to see if anyone can check and see if the mirror works properly.
      06-24-2017, 07:35 PM   #108
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Good find.

Quick question what is EC? How do I see whether my mirrors have EC? I am trying to see if anyone can check and see if the mirror works properly.
EC = ElectroChromic or in other words electrically dimmable mirrors, AKA autodim mirrors.

My side mirrors as well as the center rear view mirror all are EC, both before and after I did the mirror upgrade. I added FLA to my car which it did not have prior to this.

An EC mirror have what looks like a small ovoid semi transparent hole in the mirror which is for the sensor that detects light from cars approaching from behind. When the sensor gets illuminated by a vehicle behind you the electronics dim the mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #109
AWSB328iM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i M-Sport 6MT

2011 LCI E92

I have the base mirror with no features and manual dimmer.

Can I retrofit a fully optioned mirror with dimmer, compass, and home link by buying the retrofit harness? Or am I stuck because there is no wiring in the overhead console?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 06:35 PM   #110
opjose
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSB328iM View Post
2011 LCI E92

I have the base mirror with no features and manual dimmer.

Can I retrofit a fully optioned mirror with dimmer, compass, and home link by buying the retrofit harness? Or am I stuck because there is no wiring in the overhead console?
Yes you will need the retrofit harness.

PM me. I still have my old mirror which I no longer need.

It has everything except FLA.
Appreciate 0