E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > bmw 335d

05-25-2011, 05:37 AM   #45
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Would DPF removal affect the emissions tests they do on the MOT's?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 06:02 AM   #46
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
In terms of the DPF removal it always seems to me that the majority of people on here are quite reserved with modifying their cars (no bad thing). It's probably got something to do with the big repair bills that you can get with these cars making a warranty almost essential and therefor nobody wants to invalidate their warranty with anything to far from oem. The only DPF removal i've read about on here was due to the guy having problems with the DPF and being quoted stupid money from the dealers to fix. It therefor worked out cheaper to fit a removal pipe and have it coded out of the car.
I can understand removing the DPF in the scenario you have described above, and in some ways buying a car with a DPF and only doing shorter trips is probably not a wise thing to do.
However removing the DPF to achieve better performance is imo a step too far, and Andrei (Neo) points out all the negatives in his thread why it's not a good thing to do.
There are better ways of improving performance other than just a remap, and they don't include removing the DPF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
Would DPF removal affect the emissions tests they do on the MOT's?
I'd imagine it would impact on the emissions, but even if it didn't it would still fail.
Under the new MOT regs, if a car has a DPF or other components fitted at the time of manufacture and there not present at the time of the test the car will fail the MOT.

I believe the above is correct,I could of course misinterpreted the latest docs?

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 06:57 AM   #47
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
I'd imagine it would impact on the emissions, but even if it didn't it would still fail.
Under the new MOT regs, if a car has a DPF or other components fitted at the time of manufacture and there not present at the time of the test the car will fail the MOT.

I believe the above is correct,I could of course misinterpreted the latest docs?
I remember reading / hearing something like that too. I can't remember details but i know that some new regs are coming in / are in that have something to do with modifications and newer emissions tests.

//edit

Found this :

COMMISSION DIRECTIVE 2010/48/EU of 5 July 2010
adapting to technical progress Directive 2009/40/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council on roadworthiness tests for motor vehicles and their trailers (Text with EEA relevance)
http://COMMISSION DIRECTIVE 2010/48/EU
(See page 22 of 26)
8.2.2. Diesel engine emissions
8.2.2.1. Exhaust emission control equipment
Visual inspection
a) Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer absent or obviously defective
b) Leaks which would affect emission measurements

Then it is down to the technician and test centre spotting it.

Last edited by briers; 05-25-2011 at 07:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 07:39 AM   #48
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Quote:
I can understand removing the DPF in the scenario you have described above, and in some ways buying a car with a DPF and only doing shorter trips is probably not a wise thing to do.
However removing the DPF to achieve better performance is imo a step too far, and Andrei (Neo) points out all the negatives in his thread why it's not a good thing to do.
There are better ways of improving performance other than just a remap, and they don't include removing the DPF.
The mod may not be to everyones tastes but the only negatives Andrei lists are sooty tips and a loud screaming turbo. He even describes the noise as "fabulous" and I dare say some people do the mod because they want that noise and don't give a toss about a sooty rear end (if you'll pardon the expression)

It is an expensive mod to do if your car has no DPF problem (£600 - £800) but I can't think on anything else that will increase performance in the same way for less money other than a remap which is usually part and parcel of the DPF removal anyway. A straight through exhaust will also involve DPF removal and will not give a massive increase or change the sound much so I guess the only option after a remap is to then start looking at the turbo system and replacing injectors which will cost a lot more than a downpipe. I'd be interested to hear what the other ways of improving performance are (I'm not being cheeky here, I really am keen to know)

As far as I'm aware diesels only get tested on smoke/soot rather than emissions so the DPF could well cause a problem during MOT. I've heard of a few people sticking the DPF back in to get their car passed.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 08:23 AM   #49
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Shame to have a nice looking car chucking out a load of shit out the back!
      05-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #50
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:

A straight through exhaust will also involve DPF removal and will not give a massive increase or change the sound much so I guess the only option after a remap is to then start looking at the turbo system and replacing injectors which will cost a lot more than a downpipe. I'd be interested to hear what the other ways of improving performance are (I'm not being cheeky here, I really am keen to know)
How about just removing the mufflers and leaving the DPF intact, good for 15-20bhp and arguably a better soundtrack.

I'd considered removing the DPF and discounted it for all the reasons Andrei so eloquently expressed in his post.

Playing around with turbo's and injectors is a whole new ball game as far as I'm concerned, and if I wanted that much more power I'd be looking at a different car all together.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=112

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=131

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #51
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
How about just removing the mufflers and leaving the DPF intact, good for 15-20bhp and arguably a better soundtrack.

I'd considered removing the DPF and discounted it for all the reasons Andrei so eloquently expressed in his post.

Playing around with turbo's and injectors is a whole new ball game as far as I'm concerned, and if I wanted that much more power I'd be looking at a different car all together.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=112

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=131
This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone getting that amount of increase from an exhaust that doesn't include DPF removal and decat. Your car is a freak of nature
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #52
Candy 01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series E92

Quote:
In terms of the DPF removal it always seems to me that the majority of people on here are quite reserved with modifying their cars (no bad thing). It's probably got something to do with the big repair bills that you can get with these cars making a warranty almost essential and therefor nobody wants to invalidate their warranty with anything to far from oem. The only DPF removal i've read about on here was due to the guy having problems with the DPF and being quoted stupid money from the dealers to fix. It therefor worked out cheaper to fit a removal pipe and have it coded out of the car.

If you look at any of the VAG or Vauxhaul forums you'll see a much larger number of people removing the DPF. It does make the car chuck a bit of soot out the back but not much and it's generally only under hard acceleration. On the plus side it makes the car more responsive, gives more power than just a remap and can make it sound a bit less dieselly. A few weeks back I was speaking to a guy who had just had one fitted to his 330d and at first I thought the car was petrol, he was over the moon with it.

In terms of whether a 335d is better than an S3 it's really a personal preference and needs thing, you couldn't really stand the two against each other as comparable cars in my opinion due to the vast differences between them. The only thing that could really be said is that they will both no doubt put a smile on your face.
Thanks dad....Nah only joking very useful info their and i did notice that most people on this forum don't like to mod their cars much. So i think your theory is right, i've drove a s3 so was trying to see if they was similar performance wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Shame to have a nice looking car chucking out a load of shit out the back!
Yea i hate seeing nice car's chucking soot out make's the car look so cheap.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #53
Candy 01
Second Lieutenant
Rep

What would members value this e90 335d at then?
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2853003.htm

What do people think about the spec etc..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #54
Plaverda
Rep
Drives: 330d SE M Sport

330d is a good alternative. I'm averaging 45mpg with hard driving. Still not exactly slow for a car on the black stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 05:44 PM   #55
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

That;s not a bad price and a reasonable spec too.

Might be worth putting in an offer. If you don't someone else will snap it up sharpish I imagine. Just check that it;s had all its services etc on schedule.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 05:51 PM   #56
Candy 01
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaverda View Post
330d is a good alternative. I'm averaging 45mpg with hard driving. Still not exactly slow for a car on the black stuff.
Yea the 330d is a good alternative but i want something that will keep up with fast hatchbacks like a audi s3..

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
That;s not a bad price and a reasonable spec too.

Might be worth putting in an offer. If you don't someone else will snap it up sharpish I imagine. Just check that it;s had all its services etc on schedule.
Would you know which extras its missing?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #57
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

I'm not clued up on the complete options list but off the top of my head:

Auto-dimming door mirrors
USB (code 6FL, allows you to listen to music of a USB stick)

There are others like DAB radio etc and you might want to check if the seats are full electric with memory (according to the ad only part-electric).

I also imagine it doesn't have lumbar support in the seats too.

Having said that, it has most of the important stuff...alternatively hold out for one that has the exact spec that you're after.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #58
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaverda View Post
How the hell are you getting that figure????
      05-26-2011, 05:04 AM   #59
R80TER
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 320D ED

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy 01 View Post
Yea the 330d is a good alternative but i want something that will keep up with fast hatchbacks like a audi s3..
A mapped 330d will PWn an S3. a mapped 330d is not far off the performance of a 335d, but with lower running costs and cheaper to buy intially!
      05-26-2011, 05:43 AM   #60
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R80TER View Post
A mapped 330d will PWn an S3. a mapped 330d is not far off the performance of a 335d, but with lower running costs and cheaper to buy intially!
Yeah, the 330d will be fine unless the guy in the S3 has also had it mapped.

Candy (son ) as well as testing the cars you need to ask yourself a few questions to find what's suitable. It's clear you want a premium brand car that's fast but you don't want to be spending most of your time in petrol stations so the big BMW diesels fit the bill. If you do mainly short journeys around town, like to modify your cars and don't want to sound like a taxi then the S3 would probably be a better car. It's fine for someone to come on and say they do 40mpg in theirs but for all you know they could be doing 100 miles a day all motorway at an average speed of 60mph. You have to live with the car everyday so buy something that fits your everyday but also gives the fun you want.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 06:21 AM   #61
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCOUPE View Post
(no hijack) but i was looking at upgrading to the 335i, i have a 320d atm and i'm not sure if it's only 2.0L but i don't find it fun to drive and thought it was more likely because it was a Diesel power.. and had also read a couple of members slay the 335d (they where 335i drivers) Apart from the obvious, are they a lot different?

If not - why do people get the i's? When they could be getting 30-36mpg and same performance.. And realistically what mpg do the 335i drivers get?
The sound of the i

I get about 15mpg town/ traffic driving...and under 25mpg for motorway...

Performance wise, the petrol one got a few more horses...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 06:23 AM   #62
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Stock for stock 335i vs 335d are the same!!

Re-map for re-map also. Start getting the 335i 420+ HP then it's quicker!!

you got any videos to prove this Carl?....very keen to see std 335i v/s std 335d
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 07:08 AM   #63
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Sorry, posted in the wrong place, removed.

Last edited by mowflow; 05-26-2011 at 07:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #64
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
you got any videos to prove this Carl?....very keen to see std 335i v/s std 335d
No Vidoes of standard vs standard, but they are identical acceration wise, I have done this test enough times.

I have however have this vid of a Standard 335i (On board camera) vs a Re-mapped 335d.

And this one of a Re-mapped 335d vs 400HP 335i.

335i near lane, 335d far lane.

05-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #65
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep

I would be wary of those s3's they a v.rapid.

In gear and remapped a 330d would be competitive.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #66
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

^ Very true.

Video of a Lotus Exige 192ch trying very hard to catch an A3 2.0TFSi with stage 2. (only worth watching the first minute as the A3 is gone after that)

Appreciate 0