E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 15 yr/ 150k mile SULEV Warranty Enforcement

View Poll Results: Do you think that BMW NA should cover this under the SULEV Warranty?
Yes, it should be covered 17 94.44%
No, it should not be covered. 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

04-13-2015, 11:23 AM   #1
KHW1990
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi w/Sport Pkg.

15 yr/ 150k mile SULEV Warranty Enforcement

Greetings E90 community!

My car is a well maintained and driven 2008 SULEV with appx. 125k miles and I am currently wrestling with BMW to cover my failing catalytic converters (P0420 and P0430), which are part of the emissions control system as described on page 44. I pulled up the warranty information and walked NA through the text and the customer service representative agreed that it should be covered but was denied by two dealers who said two different things. One said that because the car is registered in PA the 2008 SULEV warranty doesn’t apply, the other says because it was bought in PA the warranty doesn’t apply. They both are wrong because they have ignored the following clauses:

(1) The California Emissions Control System Limited Warranty SULEV (PZEV) applies to all 2008 U.S. specification BMW SULEV (PZEV) vehicles sold, leased, and/or registered in California, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts (where my car was originally purchased), New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island or Vermont. (P. 45)
- My car was originally purchased in Mass.

(2) “BMW NA warrants to the original purchaser and each subsequent owner that the vehicle…” (P. 45)

- I am a subsequent owner no matter where the car was purchased.

I am bringing this to light not only to let people know that this is still happening to SULEV owners but to also get support for warranty enforcement that should be cut and dry . I have posted a poll to show BMW that their customers think that this should be covered. I appreciate your participation.

Thank you E90 brethren,

KHW1990
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2008_3Series_English.pdf (3.25 MB, 2784 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 04:26 AM   #2
RockyMtnMike
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe

Your car should be covered under the warranty. We purchased a 2007 328xi last year from a dealer in TN and had it shipped to MI. The car only had 53k miles on it and once we started putting some miles on it the valve cover started leaking on the side as well as inside #1&2 spark plug wells. I took it to a local dealer and asked about the warranty and the service advisor had never heard about the SULEV warranty. I told him if it was covered they could keep the cr and perform the service otherwise I would do it myself especially seeing the labor to replace the gaskets was about $700. After checking with his district service rep and BMW NA I received a call and was informed everything was going to be covered and there would be no charge to me! My car was originally purchased in NJ as but only spent about a year there before going to TN so it really shouldn't matter where the car is registered, it has a warranty and they need to uphold it. Call BMW NA and let them know about it and ask for their help with your local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 05:07 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I believe the warranty for emissions is on a state by state basis. If DC has an emissions law different than MA and is not the CA law, then you are out of luck. If the car were still in MA, then the warranty extension to the following owner would still be in affect.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 08:26 PM   #4
RockyMtnMike
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe

Were you able to get it covered under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #5
neophani
Rep
Drives: 335i step,ZPP,ZSP,NAV,CA,IPOD

Interesting. I bought my 2008 335i Sedan in CA and now moved to Northern VA. I now have to replace the valve cover gasket and Oil Pan gasket as they developed a leak.

Looking through the document i dont see them listed explicitly but was wondering if there is someone who got the VCG replacement covered.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #6
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by neophani View Post
Interesting. I bought my 2008 335i Sedan in CA and now moved to Northern VA. I now have to replace the valve cover gasket and Oil Pan gasket as they developed a leak.

Looking through the document i dont see them listed explicitly but was wondering if there is someone who got the VCG replacement covered.

Thanks in advance.
The SULEV warranty only applies to 328is with the N51. There wasn't a SULEV version of the N54.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #7
bin01123
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 750i

Garage List
2011 BMW 750i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkasson
Quote:
Originally Posted by neophani View Post

Thanks in advance.
The SULEV warranty only applies to 328is with the N51. There wasn't a SULEV version of the N54.
+1
      08-28-2016, 09:22 AM   #8
patents
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Old thread, but here's my experience for anyone searching the threads.

I bought by 2008 SULEV 328 used. I got the valve cover gasket replaced under the SULEV warranty by my dealer in Tennessee (not a SULEV state). My car was originally sold in New Jersey.

The SA didn't know about the warranty (not surprising, not many SULEV cars here), but her manager knew about it. The SA seemed to indicate it was covered simply because it's a SULEV car, but I'm not 100% sure if it being originally sold in NJ was a prerequisite (she already knew it was sold in NJ because we had just looked up the history).

According the the 2008 warranty booklet, it does sound like it was right to be covered. However, I think they may have changed the language in later model years, so people may need to check on it.

It's probably heavily dependent on the dealer's willingness. I wouldn't be surprised if mine as a policy is more eager to do warranty work so they can get the business. My VCG wasn't leaking much and if they wanted the work it was warranty or nothing.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 01:42 PM   #9
Gohan335i7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [10.00]
Don't get me started. They should cover VCG,OFHG,& plenty of other things until 120/150,000 miles... Although They came thru on a couple of things, HFPF & Injectors, maybe some other things I don't know about that r warrantied on different engines. Point is , we want more!!
Appreciate 0