E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Steering wheel button reprogramming with Arduino without CCC

04-05-2021, 11:56 AM   #1
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 328i -> 330i

Steering wheel button reprogramming with Arduino without CCC

Does anyone know what is hardware difference between these steering wheel buttons?

I know that programmable buttons need CCC, which I don't have. But what if I would add them, would I get different CAN BUS messages and could read them with Arduino and trigger the action I like?

Do they have some kind of hardware difference which changes CAN BUS message or hardware is the same just need to change something in NCSexper?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 04:01 PM   #2
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

I think different buttons has different resistors. So in theory it should be possible to install M/diamond/star buttons and they should have different resistors in the circuit which would generate different CAN BUS message and hopefully it wont trigger anything and I could receive it with Arduino and trigger something I want.

So the question is what are the resistors for M/diamond/star and other buttons? Is it possible to get circuit photos? Maybe circuit photos exists somewhere? Or anyone able to open and take photos of M/diamond/star button circuits? I would take photos of my buttons too (I have regular Disk/Rotate buttons). It would be possible to compare and see what resistors responsible for what functionality.

Last edited by Hotter; 04-06-2021 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 02:52 PM   #3
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep

I think buttons hardware is exactly the same, as its seems to send exactly same can bus messages https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=73

So buttons seems to be controlled by CCC/RAD2 software...

I wonder what would happen if I would set RAD22_MDRIVE aktiv in RAD2. Would it allow me to use at least fake M button, although rotate button is even more useless...
Appreciate 0