E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bimmerlabs 330i Tune DIY Step by Step

04-24-2021, 04:32 PM   #529
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacklewasher View Post
All done and the only thing broken was one of the clamps holding the intake tube on. So zip tie as a temp measure and went for a drive. Think it needs to learn.

No oil around the oil filter and starter looked fine, so everything is back together.

Next is to get rid of the TPMS notice.

And yeah, look up how to get at the battery in an E93. It really is a lot harder than in an E90. Had no issues with not disconnecting it.
I wouldn't think there'd be any issues. As long as everything is plugged in before you start up the car.

Maybe a good time to get the silicone elbow instead?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 09:23 AM   #530
Tacklewasher
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
I wouldn't think there'd be any issues. As long as everything is plugged in before you start up the car.

Maybe a good time to get the silicone elbow instead?
I kinda looked into that, but didn't do it. What is the real world benefit of one?

BTW, Went for a drive yesterday after (finally) getting my TPMS removed and yeah, it is noticeably quicker.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 10:19 PM   #531
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i, 330i 6MT RWD Sport

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Hi I've been lurking on this thread since last fall, just want to give a thanks to Hassmaschine and E92_william for making the tune and for the DIY guide and all the contributors to the thread, truly everything you need to know is in here.

I upgraded my 325i to 3SI and Hass' tune a couple weeks ago, and after shaking it down I gotta say this is the single best mod I ever did to any vehicle, and that includes the 3.64 diff and and aFe headers (even the KC turbo in my 6.oh powerstroke mebbe). And this is probably the very bestiest core of any place you could go on a forum, where ppl give you this kind of software and expertise for free, so thx again Bimmer gods
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-26-2021, 10:43 PM   #532
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacklewasher View Post
I kinda looked into that, but didn't do it. What is the real world benefit of one?

BTW, Went for a drive yesterday after (finally) getting my TPMS removed and yeah, it is noticeably quicker.
Sound and cleaner airflow. Maybe worth 1/4HP :P
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 10:51 PM   #533
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

I sometimes forget how much better the car is with the manifold and tune until I go and drive a stock 328.. not going back lol. I've never been in a before and after of a 325 but it must a really noticeable upgrade!
3PedalJake2613.50
      04-26-2021, 10:52 PM   #534
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Sound and cleaner airflow. Maybe worth 1/4HP :P
It's the sound, that's the whole point of that box that looks like it would be at home on a Dr. Seuss musical instrument. It's a resonant chamber, it flows ok tho. You're right the airflow gain is negligible, but the dB increase in induction noise is significant, which is cool for this particular engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 10:59 PM   #535
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
I sometimes forget how much better the car is with the manifold and tune until I go and drive a stock 328.. not going back lol. I've never been in a before and after of a 325 but it must a really noticeable upgrade!
The 325 was OK, not a slouch but the pull was steady up thru and past 4k then fell off low 6s to 7. The only thing I could have done at 4k to get a kick like this any other way is maybe nox (is that a thing on N52?). To say it's noticeable is a gross understatement, it's like flipping a switch difference. I pity all the ppl that cheaped out for a few $k and didn't get the 330i. My plans working perfect tho, this thing feels just like the 330 almost except for the sticky tires and B12s, so unless it's a perfect day I have no reason to get the garage queen dirty
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 11:09 PM   #536
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
I always wanted to go back and flash my car to stock to see what it was like (the stock dumbed-down tune drove me crazy). But then I deleted the MAF and put in the MILVS, and I'm not about to undo all that for a 10 minute experiment.

I didn't do the 3-stage in our E91 until just before we sold it (wish I had talked the wife out of that one!), but I gave it a mild tune as she mostly ran 87 on it (come on, it was a family wagon - I wasn't racing anyone anyway). But right before I sold it, I put in 92 octane and the full tune. Whoa, it was like night and day. For a nearly stock wagon, it had no right to be that quick. Damn, I'm just making my regret even worse, lol..
Appreciate 2
      04-26-2021, 11:42 PM   #537
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Supposedly there is that difference in the exhaust Neil brought up on the other thread but it seems people like you two with actual 330s don't notice a major difference between a car with the manifold and tune that started life as a lower trim level and the real 330 that came with the bigger exhaust piping. Other than that you got two of the same car, just one is clean lol

No way I'd convert my car back to stock specially with the catless headers just to see how it was.. an intake manifold job is like changing the air filter compared to that. With E91 prices I think she would have been wise to keep that instead of "upgrading" to that SUV which I suppose is the X3. I assume the e90 has a performance tune on it, need to get myself one of those.
      04-26-2021, 11:48 PM   #538
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Supposedly there is that difference in the exhaust Neil brought up on the other thread but it seems people like you two with actual 330s don't notice a major difference between a car with the manifold and tune that started life as a lower trim level and the real 330 that came with the bigger exhaust piping. Other than that you got two of the same car, just one is clean lol

No way I'd convert my car back to stock specially with the catless headers just to see how it was.. an intake manifold job is like changing the air filter compared to that. With E91 prices I think she would have been wise to keep that instead of "upgrading" to that SUV which I suppose is the X3. I assume the e90 has a performance tune on it, need to get myself one of those.
I think it's because all other power gains are subjective, but that DISA opening or not opening, that's a switch flipper it's not even like comparing the 330i back to back, the 330 may be better with the headers and diff and exhaust and all, but it's incremental the 3SI is instant gratification.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 11:54 PM   #539
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Worse. It was an X5. fucking POS. The X3 at least has an N52!

Yeah, I never noticed much difference there. Although the E91 was AWD and heavier. Both had basically the same tune at the end, it's just what I made for my own 330i - MAF delete and all. I hope whoever has that car now appreciates it!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 03:23 AM   #540
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalJake View Post
It's the sound, that's the whole point of that box that looks like it would be at home on a Dr. Seuss musical instrument. It's a resonant chamber, it flows ok tho. You're right the airflow gain is negligible, but the dB increase in induction noise is significant, which is cool for this particular engine.
I had put on the Euro and silicone elbow before I had done the 3IM long ago. It was funny when my wife jumped in the car one evening. "That sound, what is it? Where id that come from? ...so you turned this into another race car..."
Appreciate 2
3PedalJake2613.50
eljay1440.50
      04-27-2021, 07:00 PM   #541
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalJake View Post
I had put on the Euro and silicone elbow before I had done the 3IM long ago. It was funny when my wife jumped in the car one evening. "That sound, what is it? Where id that come from? ...so you turned this into another race car..."
:
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 07:13 PM   #542
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Mine didn't really notice. But I rarely go WOT with her in the car, and I doubt she's ever been past 3500rpm in it either.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 08:15 PM   #543
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

My wife loved the change.
She said that the car is finally a little sporty.

I have to keep reminding her that she shouldn't be driving it "sporty" until the little needle shows at least the first mark of around 70C oil temperature. That's when I get "the look". lol
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2021, 10:47 AM   #544
tree233
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 130i hotrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
if it's MSV70 then you should be able to, however I think the coding on the 330i tune is different from the 130i - it would need some minor additional changes to work properly.

There are many vanos maps, curves, and constants - most of them are actually for cold starts, hot starts, catalyst warmup, limp mode, etc. There's a handful of "main" maps for fully warmed up mode - intake & exhaust partial load maps, and intake & exhaust full load maps. Those are the only ones that usually get changed, the rest have been tuned by the factory for as much reliability as possible, there's no reason to touch them.

Hey mate, I'm revisiting this now that the physical swap is imminent.

I had to bail on the pre-LCI E91 323i (dishonest seller), so this week I bought an LCI E91 323i (N52B25 U1 / MSV80) and yesterday bought an N52B30 U1 from an E82 125i.

What is the best route to update the original 323i MSV80 to use the euro 3.0 maps? If it's not something I can do myself, how busy are you at the moment and can you please PM me a price?

Also there are a few guys who've swapped the 3.0 into a 323i and are still running the 2.5 tune and they say it runs perfectly - no issues with cold starts, hot starts, stable idle, WOT, etc - just limited to the ~140kw by the 2.5 tune.

Therefore I'm wondering if we can use the high power 3.0 "main maps" for normal running and keep the low power 2.5 maps for cold starts etc (more safety margin / limit the missus from thrashing when cold? lol).

Could I use the 125i>130i tune, with the power class corrected, to overwrite only the "main maps"?

Or if that's complicating things for minimal benefit... back to my original question - what do you recommend as the best route?

Cheers

Last edited by tree233; 05-01-2021 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 11:56 AM   #545
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

You'd need something somewhat custom. Basically a euro N52 330i file for MSV80. Probably could take the US '330i' file and change some settings for the "euro" market cars. But it would work with your stock DME.

Running it with a stock tune might work, but you're not getting full use out of the engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 04:34 PM   #546
tree233
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 130i hotrod

Awesome news, thanks mate!

It sounds like something I should leave to the experts haha.

I've sent you a message thru the bimmerlabs contact us page. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 03:14 PM   #547
eurocarfan100
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2011

Quote:
Mine didn't really notice. But I rarely go WOT with her in the car, and I doubt she's ever been past 3500rpm in it either.
What is your opinion on BMW doctor video on upgrading power and speed through programming using NCSExpert to change the power class?

I did the Bimmerlabs 330i tune to increase power. Is this needed? I ordered a 3 stage manifold which is coming soon and cannot wait! BMW doctor says this increases full power of the car and also removes the speed limiter or increases it. BMW wants to keep this a secret according to him to sell high trim cars.
Is the Bimmerlabs 330i tune enough or do we need to do this?

He says it unlocks full power completely with speed limiter and european setup.

Last edited by eurocarfan100; 05-05-2021 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 03:36 PM   #548
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

BMW Doctor is... How can I say this without sounding like an asshole? misinformed? a fraud? snake oil salesman? click bait?

It's impossible to change in the DME, only the CAS can be changed. Which is completely pointless to try anyway, because you can simply disable the power class check in the DME with a single byte flip. He tried to change it I think at some point, but fails utterly (because it's stored permanently in the DME, even if if you change it in the calibration, which is the point). He never got it to run outside of limp mode.

Do not change your power class, it will just screw things up. It's already fixed on the 330i tune. It has absolutely *nothing* to do with the speed limiter, actual engine power (if you must know, a mis-matched power class runs in limp mode), or tuning of any kind.

It's simply a check to see if the power class in the DME matches the power class on the CAS and the internal memory of the DME (which cannot be erased or changed after 10 hours of operation).

There's no "secret" either. It's been known about and fixed for years.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 04:18 PM   #549
eurocarfan100
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2011

Quote:
BMW Doctor is... How can I say this without sounding like an asshole? misinformed? a fraud? snake oil salesman? click bait?

It's impossible to change in the DME, only the CAS can be changed. Which is completely pointless to try anyway, because you can simply disable the power class check in the DME with a single byte flip. He tried to change it I think at some point, but fails utterly (because it's stored permanently in the DME, even if if you change it in the calibration, which is the point). He never got it to run outside of limp mode.

Do not change your power class, it will just screw things up. It's already fixed on the 330i tune. It has absolutely *nothing* to do with the speed limiter, actual engine power (if you must know, a mis-matched power class runs in limp mode), or tuning of any kind.

It's simply a check to see if the power class in the DME matches the power class on the CAS and the internal memory of the DME (which cannot be erased or changed after 10 hours of operation).

There's no "secret" either. It's been known about and fixed for years.
That’s what I thought, a lot of his videos don’t make sense at times! The tune seems enough along with 3 stage manifold. Lots of misinformation by this guy. Is the speed limiter removable or at least able to be increased?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 04:23 PM   #550
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

it can be removed. You basically set it to maximum (hex 255) and it if matches that value, the limiter is bypassed altogether. But honestly, when are you ever going to go faster than the stock 330i's limiter of 150mph?
Appreciate 0